Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The price of a drink in Dublin

Options
  • 04-09-2012 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

So I just went into a pub in Dublin looking for the (belated) hair of the dog...not sure if I should name and shame here but for now I'm just gonna throw this out there, he tried to charge me just under €14(!!!) for a large gin and tonic...needless to say I told him not to bother and walked up the road to the next pub which charged me just under €10 for the same drink...but like, wtf? :eek: How can they get away with charging a price like this? Which is the standard price for that drink in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Even the price of gin would depress you never mind the actual drink itself :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

What's a large G&T? Is it a double shot of gin? If so 10's no surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Last time in Dublin I payed just over a fiver for a rotten guinness. Sitting in a pub in Galway right now. 3 euro, lovely pint.

Moved from After Hours

Dublin City Forum Charter now applies. Please read before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

2.90 for a little bottle of diet coke the other night for me, i wouldn't mind but it was a horrible pub with awful staff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

How can they get away with charging a price like this?
    Just a guess, but it could be that customers don't read the pricelist (which includes gin) that every pub is obliged to post by the door before they order.

If the list was missing, OP, report the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Change of €8 for a double vodka and dash of orange in the Oval on Abbey Street. Stags Head maybe a fraction more.
    Sounds to me like you were paying hotel prices (and the cost of the tonic water comes into it).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

So I just went into a pub in Dublin looking for the (belated) hair of the dog...not sure if I should name and shame here but for now I'm just gonna throw this out there, he tried to charge me just under €14(!!!) for a large gin and tonic...needless to say I told him not to bother and walked up the road to the next pub which charged me just under €10 for the same drink...but like, wtf? :eek: How can they get away with charging a price like this? Which is the standard price for that drink in Dublin?

Name them please, we have threads here looking for cheapest drinks around/good deals etc....so those that are charging crazy prices shud be named and shamed, and hopefully lose a few customers cos of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Not all pubs in dublin are like that. There's a few places that charge crazy rates. I just don't go to'em. Its a case of buyer beware really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

What's the standard price for a pint?

There's not too many places below €5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Danye

djPSB wrote: »

The Gate Bar in Crumlin are now only charging €4.50 for a large bottle of Bulmers.

Which isn't bad considering most other pubs in and around the locality are charging €5 +

The price of drink right through out Dublin is very over priced though. Prices haven't come down too much since the downturn in the economy.

And publicans are wondering why there not making money? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

they were bitching on TV3 news yesterday that sales are down 34%. if you want the customers stop ripping them off.
    I go to the offi and drink at home, maybe have a few friends over.we can have the craic without going to the pub or forking out for a taxi.
    its nothing to do with the recession. pubs are overpriced and too much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Axolotl

Dunno if this applies to many of ye, but all pints are €3.50 in McTurcaill's with a student card ^_^ Hard to beat! (plus they never check the cards so it's essentially €3.50 pints all round)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Got charged €3 for a friggin pint of blackcurrant cordial in a pub on the south quays there the other week. I won't be going back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jupiler_beer

Just wait for the BUDGET!!!!

Got charged €3 for a friggin pint of blackcurrant cordial in a pub on the south quays there the other week. I won't be going back again.

if a buy a round of pints outside of Dublin they would not charge for the miwadi. I would definitely not pay more than 1.80 for it. while people entertain these prices the prices will be maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Yesterday the UK pub industry said that that for the first time in 5 years business has picked up and finally turned around.

But they made the point that a lot of pubs have moved away from just offering drink, good food at good prices like 2 curry's for a tenner on a Tuesday night or opening early for coffee. Deals that get people threw the door.

The industry needs to change in Ireland big time.

I'm surprised a weatherspoons type chain hasn't opened yet in Ireland.

afatbollix wrote: »
    good food at good prices like 2 curry's for a tenner
    I've never seen anywhere with offers like this where the food can be classed as "good".
    afatbollix wrote: »
    I'm surprised a weatherspoons type chain hasn't opened yet in Ireland.
    I'm not. The capital investment involved in buying enough licences to get the supermarket-like buying power Wetherspoon has is ginormous, and not something Wetherspoon itself has to bother with under UK licencing law. Companies which already own chains of pubs, like Charlie Chawke or the Fitzgerald Group, could Wetherspoonise themseves, but why would they want to: they're mostly not the ones in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

What sort of gin were they serving you?

Was it a really fancy kind or just a regular Cork Dry Gin?

It's very bad form if they're trying to hoist the more expensive brands on you without you asking for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Not true.

There are loads of places doing cheaper pints, but you have to support these places.

Seems to me that since the Sub Lounge (O'Reillys) underneath Tara street started with their €3.30 pints every day a lot of other bars in that area have had to follow suit and now doing pretty cheap drinks also.

No point in complaining about the price of drink when there are alternatives and these more expensive bars will never lower their prices until they are losing their business to cheaper bars.

Great website here to get good deals. : www.publin.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

If you're talking about Guinness, only a tiny number of rip-off merchants and temple bar tourist traps will charge more than €5 for a pint in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Dark Horse on Georges Quay do €3 pints or a pitcher for €8.Nice spot too,never too packed or full of students.

The Czech Inn opposite The Turks Head off Parliament Street does great beer deals too.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

sugarman wrote: »
    Got charged €6.50 for a pint in The Temple Bar on Saturday:eek:

I was worse for paying it, they were €5.20 an hour earlier! If I had'nt have qued for over 10mins I'd have told them to keep it.

The fact that you queued is exactly the reason they can charge it :-) is there a busier pub than this in the country? I would love to know what theur turnover is...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

BeerNut wrote: »
    I've never seen anywhere with offers like this where the food can be classed as "good".

My local in England does a different offer each day, 2 burgers and chips for £8, fish and chips for like £4 etc and its decent stuff. Those types of offers keep the pub busy during the week when its quieter.
    CucaFace wrote: »

Seems to me that since the Sub Lounge (O'Reillys) underneath Tara street started with their €3.30 pints every day a lot of other bars in that area have had to follow suit and now doing pretty cheap drinks also.

Aye drink in here when I come to town, decent spot and its never too busy either
    The Czech Inn opposite The Turks Head off Parliament Street does great beer deals too.

Czech Inn is great. Some really decent offers and they serve some different beers to the norm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

The Ginger Man on Fenian Street does pints of beer from Cork's Franciscan Well Brewery for €3.50.

It's a grand spot and a regular haunt of mine when in Dublin.

Spend your evening between there and the nearby MacTurcaills' with all pints costing €3.50 as well and you can have a right good recession session. :)

Check the publin.ie guide as well and you won't go far wrong.

it seems publicans have two choices- decrease their prices and bring in special offers or bitch to Joe Duffy about how bad business is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

The food in the Cottage Group pubs is nice and they do these deals.

Fair point: 2-for-1 mains in Against the Grain on Tuesdays and Brew Dock on Saturdays, isn't it? Though afatbollix was talking about the UK where so much pub food, especially cheap pub food, is microwaved crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Fair point: 2-for-1 mains in Against the Grain on Tuesdays and Brew Dock on Saturdays, isn't it? Though afatbollix was talking about the UK where so much pub food, especially cheap pub food, is microwaved crap.

Yes thats it and the Black Sheep on Wednesday's.

And yes pub food generally in the UK is terrible, but to be fair I've never gone out of my way to find decent pub grub over there, its always been straight to a Wetherspoons. (Apart from Hickory's Smokehouse in Chester, who have a fantastic range of American craft beers and the best ribs I've ever eaten).

The Cottage Groups deals really just highlight how difficult the midweek is for some of these bars, IMO they provide a much nicer experience then the Bull and Castle or the Porterhouse but still have an offer which is unparalleled in Dublin, fairplay to them. L. Mulligan's and Kavanagh's are in their own league food and service wise but they've gone for something different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Dark Horse on Georges Quay do €3 pints or a pitcher for €8.Nice spot too,never too packed or full of students.

I don't know if they still have the offer, but The Turk's Head offered Fosters' cooking lager at under €4 per pint at certain times. Worth checking if you're in The Czech Inn.

Advertisement