Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Division 4 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Hmmm I'm starting a new course on the Monday in the poll. Haven't a clue what I'll be doing at 9 that night but it may well involve copious amounts of drink.

How long do the drafts go on for on average? I've never done one. If I started and got through the first 6 rounds can I just automate the rest of them and log off then?

Realistically I'd say that's probably the only time I can get it done. Night be able to squeeze in the Friday but it's not looking like that's going to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Hmmm I'm starting a new course on the Monday in the poll. Haven't a clue what I'll be doing at 9 that night but it may well involve copious amounts of drink.

How long do the drafts go on for on average? I've never done one. If I started and got through the first 6 rounds can I just automate the rest of them and log off then?

Realistically I'd say that's probably the only time I can get it done. Night be able to squeeze in the Friday but it's not looking like that's going to win.

Draft should take about 2 hours.

Doing the early rounds manually and auto-picking the later rounds is a good compromise, as the early rounds are the important ones.

Set your pre-draft rankings beforehand and autopick will use them. Also make sure to edit the preferred positions (there's a link off the pre-draft rankings page), there you can tell it what round to pick various positions in. Last year I got disconnected during the draft. I had my pre-draft rankings set up but not my preferred-positions and it ended up selecting me a kicker in the 6th or 7th round! If I'd set up the preferred positions, I could've told it to pick the defense and kicker last.

padraig_f wrote: »
    Draft should take about 2 hours.

Doing the early rounds manually and auto-picking the later rounds is a good compromise, as the early rounds are the important ones.

Set your pre-draft rankings beforehand and autopick will use them. Also make sure to edit the preferred positions (there's a link off the pre-draft rankings page), there you can tell it what round to pick various positions in. Last year I got disconnected during the draft. I had my pre-draft rankings set up but not my preferred-positions and it ended up selecting me a kicker in the 6th or 7th round! If I'd set up the preferred positions, I could've told it to pick the defense and kicker last.

Grand I may do that then.

I missed it last year and didn't put down any preferences and I still somehow managed to fluke Brees, McCoy, Roddy White, Grownkowski, Mason Crosby and the Packers D.

I know full well I'll be lumped with a load of nobodies this year if I try and actually plan it all out and pick the players myself :pac:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Can i suggest maybe having the draft the weekend of August 24th as an option if it works better?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Hazys wrote: »
    Can i suggest maybe having the draft the weekend of August 24th as an option if it works better?

It has to be between the last preseason week and first regular season week, so we can't.

• Advertisement

All right the league is full up so we're ready for the new season.

And here are the owners who haven't yet voted in the draft poll. The deadline is this Sunday and there's only one vote in it.
    Niall1811
    Raven136

http://doodle.com/28wgpz4hd9uxitub

Deadline for voting has passed, the draft will be on the 3rd of September at 9pm.

Forgot to vote. Would have gone for the 3rd anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

matthew8 wrote: »
    Deadline for voting has passed, the draft will be on the 3rd of September at 9pm.

Should be some craic,i have 3 drafts that night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭slowharry

Unfortunately football training has been switched to Monday so I'll be missing the draft. Hopefully autopick is good to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

slowharry wrote: »
    Unfortunately football training has been switched to Monday so I'll be missing the draft. Hopefully autopick is good to me.

Just make sure you configure it to some extent - I believe you can specify the number of each position the auto draft picks. You don't want to end up with 3 kickers.

If you have time, I think you can actually rank the players you like (rather than relying on the nfl.com rankings for next best player available) if you wanted to nab a sleeper or two that you had in mind.

Cheers I think I managed to set up my auto pick settings correctly and hope to fine tune it over the weekend but its still a bit of a shot in the dark. So be on the look out for trades on Tuesday

Waiver wire hear I come.

Reminder that the draft is tomorrow at 9.

Good luck to all tonight.

I've set up my auto draft as best I can.
    There is the option to tell the auto pick what positions it can pick in what rounds, I've mainly gone for best available player and I have allocated only two rounds for when a Kicker and defense can be picked so I wont end up with 4 kickers. I cant put a limit on the for the max number for a position so I could end up with all RB's and no TE's.

All in all what I'm trying to sat is don't waste your time trying to guess what the Zebras will do with any given pick tonight.

Does anyone want to have a look over the rules to make sure I have it right? I've looked at the rules a few times myself and don't see anything wrong, but given last year's D4/D5 controversies better safe than sorry.

And I see in another league whether to veto an unfair trade is an issue. Do people want me to veto any trades unless it's absolutely blatant (like Rodgers for Tannehill). Last year in D5 the issue of an inactive team came up. I plan on taking over inactive teams and starting the players with the highest NFL projections, but if a group of people aren't happy with that say it now and I may change my mind.

And I see in another league whether to veto an unfair trade is an issue. Do people want me to veto any trades unless it's absolutely blatant (like Rodgers for Tannehill). Last year in D5 the issue of an inactive team came up. I plan on taking over inactive teams and starting the players with the highest NFL projections, but if a group of people aren't happy with that say it now and I may change my mind.

I think there is already forum charter rules regarding inactive teams, somewhere laong the lines that you have suggested. the issue is i think they have to be abandoned for a couple of weeks.

abandoned teams cannot enter the FA market or make trades.

I would like the league chairman to be able to veto trades, but only in exceptionable circumstances. I disagreed with a trade last year that looked very one-sided, but by years end it turned out quite prudent - so what do i know!

poldebruin wrote: »
    I disagreed with a trade last year that looked very one-sided, but by years end it turned out quite prudent - so what do i know!

Out of interest, what was the trade? I think I remember someone saying something about my Harvin/Lynch trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

i think we should all collectively vote on the strongest team to put out if a team owner is inactive

maybe that causes logistical problems

i would hope that the Gm will keep a close eye on teams before kick off to ensure no injured or bye week players are in

Out of interest, what was the trade? I think I remember someone saying something about my Harvin/Lynch trade.

it was mike wallace for jordi nelson i think. Wallace was a top 10 receiver, nelson was ranked #35 wr or some such, but had a bit of a breakout year. it was a straight swap after week 1.

• Advertisement

WilcoOut wrote: »
    i think we should all collectively vote on the strongest team to put out if a team owner is inactive

maybe that causes logistical problems

i would hope that the Gm will keep a close eye on teams before kick off to ensure no injured or bye week players are in

I think going with the nfl projected is to end arguments that the gm is putting out inconsistantly weaker or stronger teams. it will also logistically be easier, as you mentioned.

I know the nfl projections can be awful, but it should be fair on all upcoming opponents to abandoned teams.

My team played an abadoned team last year before it was taken into care. i think they has 2 or 3 bye week players and another few that were not starters/injured and i still lost.

Wow everyone seems keen for the draft tonight, 7 in the lobby already.

My team, picking 9:
    1. Jimmy Graham
    2. Steven Jackson
    3. Percy Harvin
    4. BJGE
    5. Pierre Garcon
    6. Jay Cutler
    7. Doug Baldwin
    8. Matt Schaub
    9. Rashard Mendenhall
    10. Isaiah Pead
    11. Matt Cassel
    12. Eagles Defense
    13. Greg Olsen
    14. Rob Bironas

And a website that rates your team:
    http://subscribers.footballguys.com/rate-my-team/team.php?team=8CC22J978eC6 Edit this team and put in yours to get an analysis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Is it supposed to be a waiver already? I thought you were free to add/drop until the first game starts..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Picking 4th:

1. Tom Brady
    2. Marshawn Lynch
    3. Michael Turner
    4. Vincent Jackson
    5. Torrey Smith
    6. Lance Moore
    7. Isaac Redman
    8. Jared Cook
    9. Pierre Thomas
    10. Randy Moss
    11. Christian Ponder
    13 Seahawks D
    14. Alex Henery
    15. Dexter McCluster

1. Maurice Jones-Drew - JAX
    2. Fred Jackson - BUF
    3. Marques Colston - NO
    4. Matt Ryan - ATL
    5. Kenny Britt - TEN
    6. Malcom Floyd - SD
    7. C.J. Spiller - BUF
    8. Danny Amendola - STL
    9. Joe Flacco - BAL
    10. Brent Celek - PHI
    11. Jermaine Gresham - CIN
    12. Steve Breaston - KC
    13. Dallas Cowboys - DAL
    14. Rian Lindell - BUF

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/rate-my-team/team.php?team=h9KvTTXy23Y8

Picking 10th, I didn't get many of the players I had earmarked - but I'm happy with my WR corp and if Matt Ryan has the season many are predicting it should be ok there. RB's are fairly good too - not much depth though, especially for one workhorse holdout, and another who ended the year with a serious injury.

TE is average and K and Def is weak - will be on the lookout for waiver wire pickup after week 1 I think.

Benimar wrote: »
    Picking 4th:

1. Tom Brady
    2. Marshawn Lynch
    3. Michael Turner
    4. Vincent Jackson
    5. Torrey Smith
    6. Lance Moore
    7. Isaac Redman
    8. Jared Cook
    9. Pierre Thomas
    10. Randy Moss
    11. Christian Ponder
    13 Seahawks D
    14. Alex Henery
    15. Dexter McCluster

some great RB depth there - Redman is looking to be Steelers starte imo. I was looking to grab him too. Moss @ 10 should be interesting - could be the steal of the draft.

My team, picking 9:
    1. Jimmy Graham
    2. Steven Jackson
    3. Percy Harvin
    4. BJGE
    5. Pierre Garcon
    6. Jay Cutler
    7. Doug Baldwin
    8. Matt Schaub
    9. Rashard Mendenhall
    10. Isaiah Pead
    11. Matt Cassel
    12. Eagles Defense
    13. Greg Olsen
    14. Rob Bironas

Graham at no. 1 is a big call. Harvin should get some additional rushing numbers if the Vikes want to limit AP's touches - I wanted Matt Schaub as my backup qb - if he can stay injury-free he might well be your starter. Cutler broke my heart last year with his up and down play, but with Marshall I think he's going to put up some great numbers this year. How did Greg olson drop to the 13th round?

• Advertisement

Graham at no. 1 is a big call.
    I think it's less of a big call than drafting a RB. It's far less risky. The bottom line is Brees throws for a ton of yards and TDs. Graham is his favourite target, and he really only has 2 big ones this year, no one other than Colston and him should top 800 yards.
    Harvin should get some additional rushing numbers if the Vikes want to limit AP's touches -
    The thing I love with Harvin is he is no question going to be the centerpiece fo the Vikings. They clearly are wrapping AP in bubblewrap, the sky's the limit for Harvin.
    How did Greg olson drop to the 13th round?

He fell more or less right on his projection. I'll be looking to ship him for a WR if he plays like I think he will.

Advertisement