Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kenny vs Cowen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

leggo wrote: »
    I'm sorry if you are new to the concept of democratic politics, but taking politicians at their every word is extremely naive. They have to please the public while also trying to make positive changes to fix problems often caused by that exact public. So the truth is often considered a worthy trade-off in the process of achieving a greater good. You'd be much better served judging their actions.

For example, would you consider Obama just as destructive for his country as Fianna Fail were for Ireland?

Now, since it's you not me who is making the accusation, would you care to tell me one decision FG have made in government that is as damaging as the blanket bank bailout? A pay rise for an adviser or the introduction of a new quango doesn't really cut it tbh, you're going to have to dig deeper to substantiate that sensationalist argument.

Speaking of which, how do you feel Fine Gael or Labour influence The Star editorially? Any evidence for that? You're verging on taxi driver rhetoric with some of your claims now...

Thanks for at least telling the truth. So you agree that Enda WAS talking out of both sides of his mouth. Many people I know voted for FG because Veradkar promised "not another cent for Anglo" and Reilly promised "no hospital closures". Now we know that they are just as corrupt as FF, so thanks for that. Destroying the confidence of the Irish people by lying is not a crime to you maybe but it is to many voters I know. And you are right again because those silly newspaper the Independent and Star had headlines about FG promising honesty and integrity. What liars they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Thanks for at least telling the truth. So you agree that Enda WAS talking out of both sides of his mouth. Many people I know voted for FG because Veradkar promised "not another cent for Anglo" and Reilly promised "no hospital closures". Now we know that they are just as corrupt as FF, so thanks for that. Destroying the confidence of the Irish people by lying is not a crime to you maybe but it is to many voters I know. And you are right again because those silly newspaper the Independent and Star had headlines about FG promising honesty and integrity. What liars they are.

I've read articles in the Indo this week both blasting and praising Enda.

I live in Varadkar's constituency and that's not the vibe I got off the voters there. More they were voting FG because they felt they were the only party capable of real change.

And again you appear very naive to the mechanisms of democracy and how our party system works, such as taking pre-election promises as golden when they are ALWAYS going to be compromised entering into a coalition.

So what you're telling me, by simply throwing out more unsubstantiated claims, is that you can't provide any examples of decisions as damaging as the bailout?

And is Obama corrupt? Answer the questions...you're the one making the claims. Either back them up or keep quiet.

I've read articles in the Indo this week both blasting and praising Enda.

I live in Varadkar's constituency and that's not the vibe I got off the voters there. More they were voting FG because they felt they were the only party capable of real change.

And again you appear very naive to the mechanisms of democracy and how our party system works, such as taking pre-election promises as golden when they are ALWAYS going to be compromised entering into a coalition.

So what you're telling me, by simply throwing out more unsubstantiated claims, is that you can't provide any examples of decisions as damaging as the bailout?

And is Obama corrupt? Answer the questions...you're the one making the claims. Either back them up or keep quiet.

What is unsubstantiated about "not another cent into Anglo" ?
    What is unsubstantiated about "there will be no hospital closures" ?
    Those were the promises and are on numerous links here, you don't need e to find them for you i'm sure you are well aware of them. They are blatant LIES.
    If the Bailout was wrong in many peoples opinions then FG are wrong to continue with it regardless of FF promises. They are doing nothing IN MY OPINION to rectify the situation and are just as guilty.
    Now you might know some nice people in your constituency but I also know nice people and they are expressing the "traitor" view towards FG. I attended a meeting in Drogheda recently regarding the Cottage Hospital where the FG T.D. actually got his face slapped by an angry woman. She was wrong to do that by the way but the Govt representatives there had to leave in a hurry such was the anger of the crowd. NOW maybe I imagined that. Hope this link works.
    http://hoganstand.com/Louth/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=160786

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGUJ_TrDvJs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

wanton abandoment of the ecconomy. did you sleep through the internationally lauded celtic tiger. when we were held up as a shining example of how a third world ecconomy could become a leading first world ecconomy
    you dont like to exagerate much.......

No further comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭john reilly

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    No further comment.

hopefully you are a man of your word

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 scotty1

Have we voted in the same old style, by choice or lack of options?

Despite Enda coming out before the budget and telling us "its not your fault", and then telling the EU that "people" borrowed, (words can be twisted by whomever wants to twist them, being the media, FG or opposition,) I don't see how we are any better off with out new leader.

In my opinion, Brian Cowen was as unlucky as you can get to be handed the responsibility when Bertie shot out the back door. But he took it, he tried, and yes he was minister for finance prior to that, so there was a history - he had to know what was coming. But I cannot see how, to date, Enda has done more than Cowen, so are they both in the same league? I dont see obvious progress for the people or the country? do you? Have things improved for you?

Yes, bankers have played musical chairs, NAMA has been doing its thing, but in the grand scale of things, we continue to emigrate, become unemployed, growth hasnt improved, our "jobs budget" is nowhere it be seen, our hospitals are still closing, and there has been no significant impression on the economy.

By the way, heres half a million: cut the laundry allowance for TD's, €3250 *168 = a start.

PS
    I didn't realise how hard it is to keep a post on topic and not descend into a rant!!

I just think that you might be a FF sympathiser Both bertie and Brian Cowen have left this Country broke and if I had my way with those two monkeys I would sign them up to one of the most troubled spots in the world on the front line and hope we would never see or hear the likes of them again.

Those were the promises and are on numerous links here, you don't need e to find them for you i'm sure you are well aware of them. They are blatant LIES.
    If the Bailout was wrong in many peoples opinions then FG are wrong to continue with it regardless of FF promises. They are doing nothing IN MY OPINION to rectify the situation and are just as guilty.
    Now you might know some nice people in your constituency but I also know nice people and they are expressing the "traitor" view towards FG. I attended a meeting in Drogheda recently regarding the Cottage Hospital where the FG T.D. actually got his face slapped by an angry woman. She was wrong to do that by the way but the Govt representatives there had to leave in a hurry such was the anger of the crowd. NOW maybe I imagined that. Hope this link works.

I'm not saying you imagined anything, I'm saying that the claim you're making is that Fine Gael are as bad as Fianna Fail and you've yet to substantiate that with anything more than buzzwords.

The potential closure of one or two hospitals, while unfortunate and possibly even devastating for the local community, does not an entire country ruin.

However, granting a blanket guarantee to all dodgy banks - regardless of bad practises within Anglo etc - then surrendering our economic sovereignty to the EU/IMF...does.

I don't wish to be drawn into defending Enda and co. As I've stated early into this debate, I didn't even vote for them.

Whether they've gone back on promises or not (and I still think you're naive to believe every word that politicians say...especially when they are democratically elected and people-pleasing is a requirement of the job), that doesn't mean they've been as bad as FF. And, by the way, going back on pre-election or even current promises doesn't make a government corrupt.

You've dodged my questions about Obama several times now, I have to imagine that's because you don't feel he is corrupt...else of course you'd make that point. The reason I ask is because his promises (both pre-election and current) on the likes of immigration and foreign policy are in direct contradiction to his actions in those fields. I don't believe that makes him corrupt or even a particularly poor President in the grand scheme, it just shows that there is a long way between pledging something and making it so. The coalition, in particular, are limited in their capacity to make changes and live up to pledges by the fact that we no longer have full control over our own economy.

Whether they go on to become as bad as FF in the future is a different story. Had you made the point that you were concerned about them doing so eventually, we might've been closer to agreement.

The points you have made, however, are hyperbolic, downplaying the damage FF have done and misguided in the extreme.

Now, at this juncture we are going around in circles, so I suggest we cease hijacking this thread and agree to disagree.

I'm not saying you imagined anything, I'm saying that the claim you're making is that Fine Gael are as bad as Fianna Fail and you've yet to substantiate that with anything more than buzzwords.

The potential closure of one or two hospitals, while unfortunate and possibly even devastating for the local community, does not an entire country ruin.

However, granting a blanket guarantee to all dodgy banks - regardless of bad practises within Anglo etc - then surrendering our economic sovereignty to the EU/IMF...does.

I don't wish to be drawn into defending Enda and co. As I've stated early into this debate, I didn't even vote for them.

Whether they've gone back on promises or not (and I still think you're naive to believe every word that politicians say...especially when they are democratically elected and people-pleasing is a requirement of the job), that doesn't mean they've been as bad as FF. And, by the way, going back on pre-election or even current promises doesn't make a government corrupt.

You've dodged my questions about Obama several times now, I have to imagine that's because you don't feel he is corrupt...else of course you'd make that point. The reason I ask is because his promises (both pre-election and current) on the likes of immigration and foreign policy are in direct contradiction to his actions in those fields. I don't believe that makes him corrupt or even a particularly poor President in the grand scheme, it just shows that there is a long way between pledging something and making it so. The coalition, in particular, are limited in their capacity to make changes and live up to pledges by the fact that we no longer have full control over our own economy.

Whether they go on to become as bad as FF in the future is a different story. Had you made the point that you were concerned about them doing so eventually, we might've been closer to agreement.

The points you have made, however, are hyperbolic, downplaying the damage FF have done and misguided in the extreme.

Now, at this juncture we are going around in circles, so I suggest we cease hijacking this thread and agree to disagree.

I didn't answer about Obama because I have absolutely no interest in Obama or his politics. I know nothing about the U.S.A. However I do care about my own country and how it has been raped by corrupt politicians on both sides. Both sides sold us down the Swanee and looked after their own cronies, of that there is no doubt. Cronyism is still alive and well under Enda just it was under Brian. F.G. despite promising to cut it out took part in it by appointing family members to positions and breaking pay agreements.
    I actually believed that things would change but silly me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

hopefully you are a man of your word

......I'm not the Fianna Fail sycophant, why would my integrity be compromised?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Cowen was intelligent; kenny's a poser, or should that be "poseur", given how pro-European he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

There is a lot of critism of the current govt in relation to broken promises which were made. I came accross the below article today, on the fine gael website.....

Also, I do remember when FF were in power, on six-one saying the "IMF are not here, they are not coming" with two more FF ministers standing behind him shaking their heads, mouthing "no, no, no".
    two days later the IMF arrived, and stayed in the hotel they had booked the week before, booked by the FF govt!

so back on topic, is the debate focussing on Kenny vs cowen, or one govt vs the other?

because if the people vote in the govt, and the govt vote the leader, then its up to the govt to provide the leader, which is what we are comparing here, leaders, not govts.

http://www.finegael2011.com/pressreleases.asp?artId=5A5D

Wednesday, 2nd February 2011
    Fine Gael’s 5 Point Plan to Get Ireland Working - Kenny

Fine Gael Party Leader, Enda Kenny T.D. along with members of his Front Bench will today (Wednesday) outline the core elements of the Party’s 5 Point Plan to Get Ireland Working. The Plan is designed to create jobs, reform the health system, fix the budget crisis, make Government smaller and more cost effective and put the burden on politicians first.

“At the heart of the current economic crisis is an unemployment crisis. Over the last three years 300,000 people have lost their jobs – the biggest fall in employment in the OECD and 100,000 mostly young people will emigrate over the next two years.

“Fine Gael has a clear credible jobs plan which will create 20,000 jobs every year over the next four years by focusing on spending cuts rather than job-destroying tax increases. We will invest in our future through our NewERA plan to pump €7 billion in green infrastructure. We will invest in small and medium sized businesses through a new partial loan guarantee scheme which will give them the credit they so desperately need. In addition, we intend to abolish the lower rate of employer PRSI to encourage the creation and retention of jobs.

“No economy has ever taxed its way back to recovery. Our budgetary plan will not increase income taxes, the 12.5% corporation tax or taxes on employment. We remain committed to reducing the Budget deficit by 2014 and our goal is to achieve a current budget surplus. By cutting down on waste and inefficiency Fine Gael will keep the Old Age Contributory and Non-Contributory Pensions at itheir current level. Working-age payments to carers, the blind and the disabled will also be maintained. We will minimise further reductions in job-seekers’ payments and other working age social welfare payments by getting more people back to work, and by reducing the massive levels of fraud and administrative cost in the current welfare system.
    “Fine Gael is convinced that the public sector has a crucial role to play in Ireland’s future. Public service is about enriching the lives of people and helping the most vulnerable in our society. But Fine Gael also believes that reform is essential. Put simply, Government must become smallerand Government must perform better. Government has to deliver better value in order to reduce the deficit, avoid job-destroying tax increases and protect frontline services. As part of this reform Fine Gael will: Abolish 145 state bodies and companies; reduce the total public service headcount by 30,000 by 2014 compared to 2010 while protecting frontline services; introduce a salary cap of €200,000 for everyone; gradually dismantle the HSE and FÁS, and create a single, more powerful Competition and Utilities Commission to champion the consumer.
    “In order to have the moral authority to take the tough decisions that will need to be taken, the political system must first look to itself.Fine Gael will implement the most ambitious programme for political reform since the 1930s. We will reduce the total number of Oireachtas members by a third by abolishing the Seanad and cutting the number of TDs by 20. We will significantly strengthen Freedom of Information; establish a “whistleblowers charter”; register all lobbyists; create a new Electoral Commission; amend the constitution to give Dáil committees full powers of investigation and strengthen the power of local government. Fine Gael is serious about political reform, it is overdue and the people are rightfully demanding it.
    “Our health system has been broken for many years and Fine Gael has a plan to fix it. FairCare will gradually dismantle the HSE and replace it with a system of Universal Health Insurance (UHI) starting in 2016, based on the very efficient Dutch model of healthcare. Once UHI is fully introduced the unfair and inefficient two-tier health system will be eliminated. Under the Fine Gael system hospitals will be paid for the number of patients they treat rather than giving block grants (Money Follows the Patient). We will introduce more affordable GP care by opening up contracts to all qualified doctors. Fine Gael will reduce waiting lists by establishing a Special Delivery unit, which reports directly to the Minister, to better manage waiting lists.

“Fine Gael’s 5 Point Plan to Get Ireland Working can work, and will work. I believe that there exists within the Fine Gael team the talent and energy to implement the change of direction needed in Ireland to allow this country get back on it its feet.”

There is a lot of critism of the current govt in relation to broken promises which were made. I came accross the below article today, on the fine gael website.....

Also, I do remember when FF were in power, on six-one saying the "IMF are not here, they are not coming" with two more FF ministers standing behind him shaking their heads, mouthing "no, no, no".
    two days later the IMF arrived, and stayed in the hotel they had booked the week before, booked by the FF govt!

so back on topic, is the debate focussing on Kenny vs cowen, or one govt vs the other?

because if the people vote in the govt, and the govt vote the leader, then its up to the govt to provide the leader, which is what we are comparing here, leaders, not govts.

http://www.finegael2011.com/pressreleases.asp?artId=5A5D

Wednesday, 2nd February 2011
    Fine Gael’s 5 Point Plan to Get Ireland Working - Kenny

Fine Gael Party Leader, Enda Kenny T.D. along with members of his Front Bench will today (Wednesday) outline the core elements of the Party’s 5 Point Plan to Get Ireland Working. The Plan is designed to create jobs, reform the health system, fix the budget crisis, make Government smaller and more cost effective and put the burden on politicians first.

“At the heart of the current economic crisis is an unemployment crisis. Over the last three years 300,000 people have lost their jobs – the biggest fall in employment in the OECD and 100,000 mostly young people will emigrate over the next two years.

“Fine Gael has a clear credible jobs plan which will create 20,000 jobs every year over the next four years by focusing on spending cuts rather than job-destroying tax increases. We will invest in our future through our NewERA plan to pump €7 billion in green infrastructure. We will invest in small and medium sized businesses through a new partial loan guarantee scheme which will give them the credit they so desperately need. In addition, we intend to abolish the lower rate of employer PRSI to encourage the creation and retention of jobs.

“No economy has ever taxed its way back to recovery. Our budgetary plan will not increase income taxes, the 12.5% corporation tax or taxes on employment. We remain committed to reducing the Budget deficit by 2014 and our goal is to achieve a current budget surplus. By cutting down on waste and inefficiency Fine Gael will keep the Old Age Contributory and Non-Contributory Pensions at itheir current level. Working-age payments to carers, the blind and the disabled will also be maintained. We will minimise further reductions in job-seekers’ payments and other working age social welfare payments by getting more people back to work, and by reducing the massive levels of fraud and administrative cost in the current welfare system.
    “Fine Gael is convinced that the public sector has a crucial role to play in Ireland’s future. Public service is about enriching the lives of people and helping the most vulnerable in our society. But Fine Gael also believes that reform is essential. Put simply, Government must become smallerand Government must perform better. Government has to deliver better value in order to reduce the deficit, avoid job-destroying tax increases and protect frontline services. As part of this reform Fine Gael will: Abolish 145 state bodies and companies; reduce the total public service headcount by 30,000 by 2014 compared to 2010 while protecting frontline services; introduce a salary cap of €200,000 for everyone; gradually dismantle the HSE and FÁS, and create a single, more powerful Competition and Utilities Commission to champion the consumer.
    “In order to have the moral authority to take the tough decisions that will need to be taken, the political system must first look to itself.Fine Gael will implement the most ambitious programme for political reform since the 1930s. We will reduce the total number of Oireachtas members by a third by abolishing the Seanad and cutting the number of TDs by 20. We will significantly strengthen Freedom of Information; establish a “whistleblowers charter”; register all lobbyists; create a new Electoral Commission; amend the constitution to give Dáil committees full powers of investigation and strengthen the power of local government. Fine Gael is serious about political reform, it is overdue and the people are rightfully demanding it.
    “Our health system has been broken for many years and Fine Gael has a plan to fix it. FairCare will gradually dismantle the HSE and replace it with a system of Universal Health Insurance (UHI) starting in 2016, based on the very efficient Dutch model of healthcare. Once UHI is fully introduced the unfair and inefficient two-tier health system will be eliminated. Under the Fine Gael system hospitals will be paid for the number of patients they treat rather than giving block grants (Money Follows the Patient). We will introduce more affordable GP care by opening up contracts to all qualified doctors. Fine Gael will reduce waiting lists by establishing a Special Delivery unit, which reports directly to the Minister, to better manage waiting lists.

“Fine Gael’s 5 Point Plan to Get Ireland Working can work, and will work. I believe that there exists within the Fine Gael team the talent and energy to implement the change of direction needed in Ireland to allow this country get back on it its feet.”

Your re-programming date is 29.2.2013.

Your re-programming date is 29.2.2013.
    your point being?

so 6 months later my post has been repeated, kenny vs cowen.

watch the panic between now and the budget day, the contradictions, the "must tighten our belts more" speeches etc.

however, while employers are being asked to deal with sick days, and so on, there is no sign of the govt regining in its own expenditure, from the dail bar, to transport to work, in fairness, who else can submit expenses to drive to and from the regular place of work on a daily basis? yes, you may live in cork, and have to driver to dublin, but you knew that before you took the job right?!

and expenses, lets account for them, and show us you are able to do it. im not an accountant either, but i can manage my own when i have to purchase materials for work.
    so come on Enda, go set an example and put the boot into your own guys before you put the boot into the rest of the country, and lead by example, the same way as you got the bus to the Aras when you were elected with the rest of the boys!

I hate when people call for TDs' salaries to be reduced. It's such a distraction from the actual problems.

For a start, reducing salaries wouldn't make any particular dent in our sovereign debt or IMF repayments.

Secondly, what's the phrase? If you pay peanuts etc. Do people want govt ministers to work for what? €20k a year? And yet we want well educated, qualified people to run our country. The reality is that if you want them, you need to pay attractive salaries to keep them from being snapped up by the private sector. Whether you feel these people are actually qualified for the job or not isn't relevant, that's why the system is the way it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

I was at the protest... what happened was that if you wanted to speak from the podium you needed to sign a pledge saying you would do your utmost to keep it open (Ie vote against the cut) the govt people refused to do so, hence were not allowed speak their empty words of hollow promises. O Dowd lost the plot and called the people of Drogheda fascists... no wonder he got (lightly) slapped.

I was at the protest... what happened was that if you wanted to speak from the podium you needed to sign a pledge saying you would do your utmost to keep it open (Ie vote against the cut) the govt people refused to do so, hence were not allowed speak their empty words of hollow promises. O Dowd lost the plot and called the people of Drogheda fascists... no wonder he got (lightly) slapped.

He'll get some kick in the arse next election.

Leggo,
    it isnt, in the private sector, when things go bad, the salaries are the first thing to be cut. in a company i have worked for, it was announced that there was no rise in salary one particular year, and anyone over 50k woiuld get a 5% cut. it got the company through.
    Along with other measures, such as reducing salaries to 100k will make a difference, as will removing the 2300 allowance per seat for "dry cleaning". (claimable whether used or not, as the expenses are unvouched)

the government as a team are not well educated. are we forgetting the report which showed that the dept of finance had very fer accountants two years ago? show me a minister who has a qualifcation in business management? the expected response - his advisors do that. the ultimate decision lies with the particular minister.
    as for being snapped up, what planet are you on?!
    who is going to employ somoone who comes from a pool which will not submit expeses, who cannot enforce dress code, and who wont sign in for work? these people are unemployable in the real world.
    i will agree the system is the way it is, and FG have been voted in because of lack of an alternative.
    I hate when people call for TDs' salaries to be reduced. It's such a distraction from the actual problems.

For a start, reducing salaries wouldn't make any particular dent in our sovereign debt or IMF repayments.

Secondly, what's the phrase? If you pay peanuts etc. Do people want govt ministers to work for what? €20k a year? And yet we want well educated, qualified people to run our country. The reality is that if you want them, you need to pay attractive salaries to keep them from being snapped up by the private sector. Whether you feel these people are actually qualified for the job or not isn't relevant, that's why the system is the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i hate it when people say it wouldnt make a difference when it would,you start at the top (it sets an example dont you know). course the taosaichs 200k salary should be cut, he should never have broken his self imposed salary cap for advisors either.
    but no, lets attack front line services (cos doing thats making such a difference to the budget deficit eh)
    could start by cutting through the huge swathes of middle management in councils and civil service for a start. how about receipted expenses.

anyway this lot are hust as devoid of any parctical ability to do anything (apart from maintain there own inflated salaries and expenses)

If you were to make an objective list of things that would boost the economy, I doubt reducing TDs salaries would be in the Top 100.

But it would probably be one of the top 10 solutions according to public opinion.

Whereas nobody seems to be addressing the fact that we need to attract well educated and qualified people to lead our country. Offer them €30k a year and they'd be better off getting an area manager job with Dunnes.

Do you want your begrudgery-filled bloodlust satiated? Or do you want the country fixed? If it's the latter, then cop on and start using your democratic right to an opinion to push politicians towards workable solutions, and not popular distractions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Ardent

People are putting ridiculous expectations on the coalition's head. They aren't a year in government yet and people are holding them accountable for promises not delivered in their programme for government: said programme is supposed to cover 5 years.

And, unless you are extremely naive to politics, you don't believe that every box will be ticked...because, put simply, it's a lot easier to write a list of goals than it is to draw up comprehensive legislation, arrange to have it debated then pass it through the Dáil. A programme is, essentially, a list of targets designed to let you know what the government's aims are and give you a flavour of what to expect. Take it like a CV: it's going to be inflated but you just want to get a good idea of what to expect from it.

Just because it's not delivered word-for-word doesn't mean the government are flip-flopping or U-turning. You just hope that they'll bring in enough meaningful changes in their various sectors on balance.

I am, quite frankly, sick of the criticism being unfairly lauded on the coalition. They are nowhere near being compared to Cowen et al. They have been massively restricted in what they can and can't do by the mess they inherited and their attempts to improve our standing in Europe (whether you agree with their refusal to burn the bondholders - their intent has our best interests at heart); be as open, honest and accountable as possible; boost morale (with the likes of the Obama/Queen visits); and protect people even while making tough decisions (e.g. not raising income tax and being light on social welfare in the budget) is, frankly, a breath of fresh air compared to what we were used to.

The real indicator, for me, is that I no longer feel the sense of impending doom about the country that I did this time 12 months ago. These days, I can walk around and, for brief moments, forget there is even a recession on. I don't feel the same sense of shame that I did to be Irish last year.

Yes, the world is ****ed. Yes, the euro is going down the drain. Yes, we're entering unknown territory. But living in Ireland isn't unbearable anymore, as it was last year. And that's not bad work for just 12 months.

Very well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭Sand

If you were to make an objective list of things that would boost the economy, I doubt reducing TDs salaries would be in the Top 100.

But it would probably be one of the top 10 solutions according to public opinion.

leggo - its about leadership. Either you get it, or you dont.
    Whereas nobody seems to be addressing the fact that we need to attract well educated and qualified people to lead our country. Offer them €30k a year and they'd be better off getting an area manager job with Dunnes.

Do you want your begrudgery-filled bloodlust satiated? Or do you want the country fixed? If it's the latter, then cop on and start using your democratic right to an opinion to push politicians towards workable solutions, and not popular distractions.

We would probably be better getting area managers from Dunnes to replace most of the dead weight in the states institutions. Everyone wins.

You are falling prey to the malign myth of Official Ireland whereby it is assumed that if you pay someone hundreds of thousands of euros, you will get a great performance whereas if you don't, you wont.

This is quite simply garbage. Irish bankers were and are paid ridiculous sums for terrible results. Irish civil servants were and are paid ridiculous sums for terrible results. Irish politicians were and are paid ridiculous sums for terrible results. Meanwhile, bankers, civil servants and politicians paid less than their Irish colleagues deliver better results. There is no direct link between pay and performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

He'll get some kick in the arse next election.
    He sure will... he's no longer welcome in my local where he has drank regularly enough for years

Sand wrote: »
    leggo - its about leadership. Either you get it, or you dont.

We would probably be better getting area managers from Dunnes to replace most of the dead weight in the states institutions. Everyone wins.

You are falling prey to the malign myth of Official Ireland whereby it is assumed that if you pay someone hundreds of thousands of euros, you will get a great performance whereas if you don't, you wont.

This is quite simply garbage. Irish bankers were and are paid ridiculous sums for terrible results. Irish civil servants were and are paid ridiculous sums for terrible results. Irish politicians were and are paid ridiculous sums for terrible results. Meanwhile, bankers, civil servants and politicians paid less than their Irish colleagues deliver better results. There is no direct link between pay and performance.

Excellent post.

Not at all, please don't put words in my mouth.

I think the salaries are completely fair, if we're getting said performance out of it. You've made the distinction yourself that there's a difference.

Whether you feel that their performance is up to scratch or not is a perfectly fair debate. It is, in fact, your entitlement in a democratic society.

The amount of their salaries is to ensure that we attract people qualified in their respective fields to handle such duties. You say that we may as well have Dunnes Stores area managers running the country, as it is. Should that be what we aspire to, though*? Do you think that'd be a sensible way to lead our country out of financial crisis? To have someone with no qualification in, or knowledge of, economics in charge of your finances?

If you have a problem with whether this is being done or not, this isn't down to how much we are paying them. It's very simple. Your problem, then, is with the selection process. Who controls that? Well, you do. I do. Everyone posting here does.

But what does how much we pay the people we elect have to do with whether whether the right people are being elected? Can you not see that they're two completely different arguments?

This is really basic stuff, like... But don't let your outrage and begrudgery of high-earning public figures blind you, or anything.

*I'm not criticising Dunnes Stores managers, or equivalent positions, by the way. It's simply an illustration of a job that requires no actual qualifications in specific fields.

You say that we may as well have Dunnes Stores area managers running the country, as it is. Should that be what we aspire to, though*?

Every journey begins with a first step. Dunne's Stores area managers would be a significant improvement and we shouldn't postpone immediate improvements in favor of some long off, ambitious and out of reach goal.

P.S. A personal annoyance of mine is how Ireland apparently cant plan for anything that isnt "world-class". Be it an airport, a hospital or a piss up in a brewery "world-class" is the aspiration.

Lets not get overly ambitious here. We are a small, bankrupt nation: lets shoot for "functional", "effective", "efficient" and the "world class" aspect will take care of itself.
    I think the salaries are completely fair, if we're getting said performance out of it. You've made the distinction yourself that there's a difference.

And we're not. Citing undelivered performance to support unaffordable salaries is an intriguing argument.

Meanwhile, just to demonstrate the point: Diaspora 2016 have worked to put together a list of 100 international figures who are pledged to help Ireland by serving on its public boards, offering their experience, insight and proven skills....for free.

Yes, that's right. Free. We can get experienced, proven, excellent leaders. For free.

NAME TITLE COMPANY
    Conor Allen Director Cowen and Company
    Kevin Barrett CIO Elan
    Craig Barrett Retired CEO/Chairman of the Board Intel Corporation
    Chris Buddin Vice President - Global Clean Technology and Renewables Goldman Sachs
    Conrad Burke Founder Innovalight and Dupont
    James Carroll Senior Vice President of the Global Product Development Group Yahoo!
    Liam Casey Founder and CEO PCH International
    John Daly Co-head of the Industrial and Natural Resources Financing Group sector and head of the INR sector in Equity Capital Markets Goldman Sachs
    Bill Daly Former SVP Warner Bros
    Brian Desmond Vice president of Marketing Guidewire
    Dennis Donohue Mayor Salinas, CA
    Una Fox Vice President of Technology Disney
    Kieran Hannon Vice President UBM canon
    John Hartnett Founder & President ITLG
    Gareth Keane Investment Manager Qualcomm
    Martin Kelly Vice President of Worldwide Information technology Citrix
    Tom Kelly MD The Blackstone Group
    Tom McEnery Former Mayor San Jose, Author and Investor San Pedro Sq. Properties
    Rory McInerney Vice President Intel
    Kieran McLoughlin President & CEO The Worldwide Ireland Funds
    Peter Milner EVP Corp Dev and Co Founder Optivia Biotechnology
    Richard Moran Partner Irish Technology Capital
    Barry O'Sullivan SVP Cisco
    Paul Rellis Managing Director Microsoft Ireland
    John Ryan Founder Macrovision (Now Rovi Corporation)
    O'Donoghue Sean Chief Information Officer DreamWorks Animation
    John Stanton General Partner Irish Technology Capital
    Harry Sweeney Founder Paca Paca Horse Ranch
    Jacinta Tobin Senior Vice President, Worldwide Sales and Business Development Cloudmark Inc

"Official Ireland"'s response is embarrassed silence - they prefer to shove some rednecked knuckle dragging moron from the backwoods in to offer their completely unqualified 0.02 because hes a party insider. And pay him a ridiculous amount of money to do so.

Do you think a Dunnes Stores area manager would reject the chance to get advice, help and leadership in getting "Smart economy" investment from someone like Craig Barrett? For free.

Every journey begins with a first step. Dunne's Stores area managers would be a significant improvement and we shouldn't postpone immediate improvements in favor of some long off, ambitious and out of reach goal.

P.S. A personal annoyance of mine is how Ireland apparently cant plan for anything that isnt "world-class". Be it an airport, a hospital or a piss up in a brewery "world-class" is the aspiration.

Lets not get overly ambitious here. We are a small, bankrupt nation: lets shoot for "functional", "effective", "efficient" and the "world class" aspect will take care of itself.

And we're not. Citing undelivered performance to support unaffordable salaries is an intriguing argument.

Meanwhile, just to demonstrate the point: Diaspora 2016 have worked to put together a list of 100 international figures who are pledged to help Ireland by serving on its public boards, offering their experience, insight and proven skills....for free.

Yes, that's right. Free. We can get experienced, proven, excellent leaders. For free.

NAME TITLE COMPANY
    Conor Allen Director Cowen and Company
    Kevin Barrett CIO Elan
    Craig Barrett Retired CEO/Chairman of the Board Intel Corporation
    Chris Buddin Vice President - Global Clean Technology and Renewables Goldman Sachs
    Conrad Burke Founder Innovalight and Dupont
    James Carroll Senior Vice President of the Global Product Development Group Yahoo!
    Liam Casey Founder and CEO PCH International
    John Daly Co-head of the Industrial and Natural Resources Financing Group sector and head of the INR sector in Equity Capital Markets Goldman Sachs
    Bill Daly Former SVP Warner Bros
    Brian Desmond Vice president of Marketing Guidewire
    Dennis Donohue Mayor Salinas, CA
    Una Fox Vice President of Technology Disney
    Kieran Hannon Vice President UBM canon
    John Hartnett Founder & President ITLG
    Gareth Keane Investment Manager Qualcomm
    Martin Kelly Vice President of Worldwide Information technology Citrix
    Tom Kelly MD The Blackstone Group
    Tom McEnery Former Mayor San Jose, Author and Investor San Pedro Sq. Properties
    Rory McInerney Vice President Intel
    Kieran McLoughlin President & CEO The Worldwide Ireland Funds
    Peter Milner EVP Corp Dev and Co Founder Optivia Biotechnology
    Richard Moran Partner Irish Technology Capital
    Barry O'Sullivan SVP Cisco
    Paul Rellis Managing Director Microsoft Ireland
    John Ryan Founder Macrovision (Now Rovi Corporation)
    O'Donoghue Sean Chief Information Officer DreamWorks Animation
    John Stanton General Partner Irish Technology Capital
    Harry Sweeney Founder Paca Paca Horse Ranch
    Jacinta Tobin Senior Vice President, Worldwide Sales and Business Development Cloudmark Inc

"Official Ireland"'s response is embarrassed silence - they prefer to shove some rednecked knuckle dragging moron from the backwoods in to offer their completely unqualified 0.02 because hes a party insider. And pay him a ridiculous amount of money to do so.

Do you think a Dunnes Stores area manager would reject the chance to get advice, help and leadership in getting "Smart economy" investment from someone like Craig Barrett? For free.

I bet those boys weren't invited to Farmleigh. They only want their cronies who are on their wavelenght. Competent businessmen might discover how inept they actually are.

You really need to stop changing the question then acting as if that's what I'm arguing against.

For example, I'd be all for our electoral system being given a massive, massive reform...but again, that's a completely separate conversation.

Originally, we were talking about Enda vs. Cowen. Then someone brought up TD salaries. Now you're acting as if I feel that public figures volunteering in consultant-type roles are a bad idea. Can you just pick a point and stick with it so we can actually have a discussion. I'm helping you out by giving you posts, perfectly illustrating my point, that you can actually read instead of just arguing against whatever comes into your brain at any given moment and addressing it my way.

Insofar as your attempt to tie it into your main point, these people wouldn't be in charge of the day-to-day running of the country. As I said, they're providing (essentially) consultant roles on public boards. Admirable, valuable, and I agree that the government are fools if they do pass it up, but it's not the same as saying that we can have people run the country for free. The laughable thing about that point is that all of the above are probably already on six-figure salaries/pensions from their field of expertise! You've just proven my point.

And, again, they still wouldn't be running the country. They wouldn't be working day-to-day. They also wouldn't be electable and accountable towards the public. So it's a non-starter. Sorry.

@leggo
    Do you think that'd be a sensible way to lead our country out of financial crisis? To have someone with no qualification in, or knowledge of, economics in charge of your finances?

Oh man, I just spotted this :D

May I introduce you to the Department of Finance whose wages you are championing. Where half have no financial qualifications whatsoever. And that there is only two economists with doctorates in the DoF and thats about it, for the entire Irish civil service.

This is the problem with your viewpoint - its wrong and based on fantasy.

• Advertisement

So you admit you're not actually reading my posts before forming a counter-argument?

And, again, my argument is that the figures themselves are fine...if we are getting performance out of it. There's a distinct difference between that and saying that I'm championing these individuals particularly. I didn't vote FG.

Again, if you actually read the topic, you'd know all of this already.

Advertisement