Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kenny vs Cowen

Options
  • 27-01-2012 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

Have we voted in the same old style, by choice or lack of options?

Despite Enda coming out before the budget and telling us "its not your fault", and then telling the EU that "people" borrowed, (words can be twisted by whomever wants to twist them, being the media, FG or opposition,) I don't see how we are any better off with out new leader.

In my opinion, Brian Cowen was as unlucky as you can get to be handed the responsibility when Bertie shot out the back door. But he took it, he tried, and yes he was minister for finance prior to that, so there was a history - he had to know what was coming. But I cannot see how, to date, Enda has done more than Cowen, so are they both in the same league? I dont see obvious progress for the people or the country? do you? Have things improved for you?

Yes, bankers have played musical chairs, NAMA has been doing its thing, but in the grand scale of things, we continue to emigrate, become unemployed, growth hasnt improved, our "jobs budget" is nowhere it be seen, our hospitals are still closing, and there has been no significant impression on the economy.

By the way, heres half a million: cut the laundry allowance for TD's, €3250 *168 = a start.

PS
    I didn't realise how hard it is to keep a post on topic and not descend into a rant!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

It is important to remember that a Taoiseach is not the government, nor is he the party/parties that he is elected from.

Kenny has been very low key so far but I think overall he presents himself far better internationally than Cowen. Not to attack Cowen personally, but it was easy for other countries to look at him as the embodiment of a nation that had gorged itself for too long.

Kenny's style is also quite different as the sort of "chairman" rather than "president". He lets his ministers take centre stage rather than trying to hog the limelight.

As to whether the new government is any better than the old, well:

1) in terms of policy - not really, they are bound by the CPA, bound by the IMF/EU bailout, left with a huge deficit and national debt, left with the banking guarantee and left with the social problems left over from the previous government. Their hands are tied, essentially. But as things start to stabilise and get better, then we should see the differences (if any) in policy between the new government and the old;

2) in terms of honesty - somewhat. Although there is a significant sense of the new government bringing a new era, they are up to too many of their old tricks - appointing acolytes to cushy new positions, serving their parties' interests over the nations, and occasionally letting the mask slip and revealing that while they are asking people to make substantial changes to their lifestyles, the politicians are carrying on more or less as before.

Ultimately though, there is too short a space of time between the two governments to come to any firm conclusions. The people could have voted for a radical change, but decided instead for a more measured approach, which is why the people got the Taoiseach that suits their purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

It is also important to realise that the government have been in situ just under one year.
    Hardly the timeframe where anyone would see a turnaround of around fifteen years of wanton abandonment in management of the economy by their predecessors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

It is important to remember that a Taoiseach is not the government, nor is he the party/parties that he is elected from.

Kenny has been very low key so far but I think overall he presents himself far better internationally than Cowen. Not to attack Cowen personally, but it was easy for other countries to look at him as the embodiment of a nation that had gorged itself for too long.

Kenny's style is also quite different as the sort of "chairman" rather than "president". He lets his ministers take centre stage rather than trying to hog the limelight.

As to whether the new government is any better than the old, well:

1) in terms of policy - not really, they are bound by the CPA, bound by the IMF/EU bailout, left with a huge deficit and national debt, left with the banking guarantee and left with the social problems left over from the previous government. Their hands are tied, essentially. But as things start to stabilise and get better, then we should see the differences (if any) in policy between the new government and the old;

2) in terms of honesty - somewhat. Although there is a significant sense of the new government bringing a new era, they are up to too many of their old tricks - appointing acolytes to cushy new positions, serving their parties' interests over the nations, and occasionally letting the mask slip and revealing that while they are asking people to make substantial changes to their lifestyles, the politicians are carrying on more or less as before.

Ultimately though, there is too short a space of time between the two governments to come to any firm conclusions. The people could have voted for a radical change, but decided instead for a more measured approach, which is why the people got the Taoiseach that suits their purposes.

they ( the goverment ) are not bound by the croke park agreement , they have just chosen to stick with it for political reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

In my opinion, Brian Cowen was as unlucky as you can get to be handed the responsibility when Bertie shot out the back door.
    Nah, he was there alongside Bertie pretty much the whole time. He knew what he was doing and what he was getting into. He sure did kick the can for as long as he could though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭john reilly

JustinDee wrote: »
    It is also important to realise that the government have been in situ just under one year.
    Hardly the timeframe where anyone would see a turnaround of around fifteen years of wanton abandonment in management of the economy by their predecessors.
    wanton abandoment of the ecconomy. did you sleep through the internationally lauded celtic tiger. when we were held up as a shining example of how a third world ecconomy could become a leading first world ecconomy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

wanton abandoment of the ecconomy. did you sleep through the internationally lauded celtic tiger. when we were held up as a shining example of how a third world ecconomy could become a leading first world ecconomy
    Our government was warned by the EU to take a different direction hence the rhetoric from McCreevy in 2000 and 2001. Hardly the shining example set.
    So yep, "wanton abandonment" suits just fine.

Stop trying to blame everyone else. Nobody was forced to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Didn't realise this argument was still being made, thought everyone had moved on.

Enron was a shining example, Anglo Irish Bank was a shining example, Bernie Madoff was a shining example.
    It transpired that they were all ponzi schemes in the end, just like the Celtic Tiger.

Now we are a shining example of what not to do, both in terms of trying to develop an economy and how to escape from catastrophe.

I'm extremely pissed off with the litany of lies and broken promises from Fine Gael
    (why is Irish still compulsory for the Leaving Cert cycle ? Did Brian Hayes/Fine Gael forget about this promise too?)

Even so, you'd have to be on potent mind altering substances to try compare Cowen to Enda Kenny, or any other politician for that matter.

Cowen must be one of the worst leaders in Modern Western European history and up there as one of the most arrogant also? One of the great shames is that I don't think future generations will really be able to grasp the sheer arrogance of that Cabinet....Cowen, Dempsey, Dermot Ahern... 3 of the most arrogant yet simultaneously bumbling politicians in Irish history. Noel Depmsey was like the Irish mussolini.

Bertie I genuinely believe is not mentally all there.
    I believe he should have been psychologically evaluated.
    I have heard a number of people with experience in the mental health field state that the man seems to display numerous symptoms of mental health problems.

Brian Lenihan made massive mistakes, nobody would doubt it, but I genuinely do feel sympathy for him because while he seemed to be doing everything in his power to try and recover from his disastrous mistake with the bank guarantee, and basically try to hold the state together and hold off a bailout - his own fcuking boss was getting pissed and going on the radio hammered. Just incredible, if it were the army, Cowen would have been shot at dawn.

If you tried to make a documentary about Cowen, it would be near impossible. The man is a caricature.

The man epitomises everything that was grotesque about the Celtic Pyramid and what I believe will in future be regarded as even more grotesque than the Civil War. Truely Ireland at it's worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

^ ^ ^

I absolutely agree with you, but give Kenny and crew enough time and I have no doubt they'll meet the 'Cowen standard' of governance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

As the old saying goes; opinions are like arseholes.

If you think you can do better, join a party and get your name on a ballot paper.

As much as I have a dislike for Enda, it's not for the actions his government is taking so much as the fact they promised they wouldn't.

The only people to blame are those who accused FF of hypocrisy yet felt they could vote for the "truthful" FG and Lab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

ninty9er wrote: »
    The only people to blame are those who accused FF of hypocrisy yet felt they could vote for the "truthful" FG and Lab.

Politicians inherently are creatures that speak out of both sides of their mouth. So anyone who fell for their worthless promises, should indeed hang their head. However, many people did genuinely believe their was no other alternative. So unfortunately this prevailing mindset has and probably will, continue to sentence this country to decades of incompetent political representation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

This.

If people think that FG and Enda could waltz in and fix the country in 12 months after 15 years of FF crony economics you are dreaming. It is going to take years to get this country back on the road again.
    The country that FG/Labour inherited from FF was destroyed. Utterly. I don't think it could have been possible to get the country into this state if one tried. As mentioned their hands are tied by outsiders. Particularly the trokia so before someone blames Enda for a property tax or a water charge they have realise the context in which these decisions have to be made. They are basicly the cleaners of the mess.
    For me I am going to reserve judgement until their term is up. In 3/4 years if we are back borrowing on the bond markets at reasonable rates, if our deficit is below 3% of GDP, public sector is reformed or moves to such effect and real efforts have been made to update the Constitution then I would vote for them.

Too many people want perfection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Politicians inherently are creatures that speak out of both sides of their mouth. So anyone who fell for their worthless promises, should indeed hang their head. However, many people did genuinely believe their was no other alternative. So unfortunately this prevailing mindset has and probably will, continue to sentence this country to decades of incompetent political representation.

Well there was no other alternative, and much and all as I'd have liked to leave the ballot paper blank, they view those as spoilt and not as preferences.

The annoying thing is that even Shane Ross has been useless since he got elected.

So what the hell do we do to get decent, fair and honest people into the Dáil and have them be effective?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,736 ✭✭✭✭walshb

We haven't had someone who remotely resembled a leader since Reynolds 20 years ago, and even he proved that he had feet of clay. Kenny just does not have it. Never thought he did either.

Elliza wrote: »
    Not to go off the topic now just a quick question why should Irish be excluded from the leaving cert??

Who said it should be excluded? - I asked why is it still compulsory.

Fine Gael promised to make Irish optional, post junior cert.
    They lied.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0712/1224300558894.html

If a political party lie about their ability to transform the country's fortunes, well it's your own problem if you believe it or not.
    Fianna Fail were notorious for that.

With some of Fine Gael's U-Turns, they are doing what they genuinely believe is best for the country.
    I can fully accept that too.

But optional Irish is a simple policy issue and is actually a huge money saver.
    There is no excuse for that particular U-Turn.

As the old saying goes; opinions are like arseholes.

As the old saying goes; "There is a high probability you are going to hear opinions on an opinion forum..."
    If you think you can do better, join a party and get your name on a ballot paper.

Ah, that old chestnut.
    As already know, you could potentially be the greatest organiser in the history of the world, yet, if you cannot win a popularity contest, then it's too bad.

Further to this, we live in a parliamentary democracy - a system which has to be scaled. Could you tell me the last Barrack Obama type of "Outsider" figure in Irish politics?
    Someone who came from being unknown, into power?
    You can't, because it doesn't happen.

Fianna Fail couldn't even afford to field a candidate for the presidential election - I think that speaks volumes and puts into perspective how lame and irrelevant that that cliché is.

It's a crazy notion for Irish people to have really - The men who founded the state could not have done so by operating within the rules of the previous system. They had to create a new system.
    As much as I have a dislike for Enda, it's not for the actions his government is taking so much as the fact they promised they wouldn't.

I completely agree.
    FG have gotta do what they've gotta do to save the country & they were handed a nuclear explosive by Fianna Fail. Certain unpalatable decisions must be taken.
    I don't have a problem in issues where their hands are tied.

It's the lies where their hands are not tied which make my blood itchy.

That strikes me as a very odd statement for anyone who lived in Ireland from 2008-2011.

Do you remember when it was confirmed we were in IMF receivership?
    It was when Cowen was opening Terminal 2 in Dublin, after hundreds of lies denying the reality...

"Ladies and Gentelmen, bla bla bla, Terminal 2, bla bla bla, .........oh and by the way, minor little detail, Ireland is in IMF receivership.... Now, who's for champagne?"

Whatever FG or Labour may have done, they are paragons of sincerity when contrasted with Fianna Fail!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

People are putting ridiculous expectations on the coalition's head. They aren't a year in government yet and people are holding them accountable for promises not delivered in their programme for government: said programme is supposed to cover 5 years.

And, unless you are extremely naive to politics, you don't believe that every box will be ticked...because, put simply, it's a lot easier to write a list of goals than it is to draw up comprehensive legislation, arrange to have it debated then pass it through the Dáil. A programme is, essentially, a list of targets designed to let you know what the government's aims are and give you a flavour of what to expect. Take it like a CV: it's going to be inflated but you just want to get a good idea of what to expect from it.

Just because it's not delivered word-for-word doesn't mean the government are flip-flopping or U-turning. You just hope that they'll bring in enough meaningful changes in their various sectors on balance.

I am, quite frankly, sick of the criticism being unfairly lauded on the coalition. They are nowhere near being compared to Cowen et al. They have been massively restricted in what they can and can't do by the mess they inherited and their attempts to improve our standing in Europe (whether you agree with their refusal to burn the bondholders - their intent has our best interests at heart); be as open, honest and accountable as possible; boost morale (with the likes of the Obama/Queen visits); and protect people even while making tough decisions (e.g. not raising income tax and being light on social welfare in the budget) is, frankly, a breath of fresh air compared to what we were used to.

The real indicator, for me, is that I no longer feel the sense of impending doom about the country that I did this time 12 months ago. These days, I can walk around and, for brief moments, forget there is even a recession on. I don't feel the same sense of shame that I did to be Irish last year.

Yes, the world is ****ed. Yes, the euro is going down the drain. Yes, we're entering unknown territory. But living in Ireland isn't unbearable anymore, as it was last year. And that's not bad work for just 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

leggo wrote: »
    People are putting ridiculous expectations on the coalition's head. They aren't a year in government yet and people are holding them accountable for promises not delivered in their programme for government: said programme is supposed to cover 5 years.

And, unless you are extremely naive to politics, you don't believe that every box will be ticked...because, put simply, it's a lot easier to write a list of goals than it is to draw up comprehensive legislation, arrange to have it debated then pass it through the Dáil. A programme is, essentially, a list of targets designed to let you know what the government's aims are and give you a flavour of what to expect. Take it like a CV: it's going to be inflated but you just want to get a good idea of what to expect from it.

Just because it's not delivered word-for-word doesn't mean the government are flip-flopping or U-turning. You just hope that they'll bring in enough meaningful changes in their various sectors on balance.

I am, quite frankly, sick of the criticism being unfairly lauded on the coalition. They are nowhere near being compared to Cowen et al. They have been massively restricted in what they can and can't do by the mess they inherited and their attempts to improve our standing in Europe (whether you agree with their refusal to burn the bondholders - their intent has our best interests at heart); be as open, honest and accountable as possible; boost morale (with the likes of the Obama/Queen visits); and protect people even while making tough decisions (e.g. not raising income tax and being light on social welfare in the budget) is, frankly, a breath of fresh air compared to what we were used to.

The real indicator, for me, is that I no longer feel the sense of impending doom about the country that I did this time 12 months ago. These days, I can walk around and, for brief moments, forget there is even a recession on. I don't feel the same sense of shame that I did to be Irish last year.

Yes, the world is ****ed. Yes, the euro is going down the drain. Yes, we're entering unknown territory. But living in Ireland isn't unbearable anymore, as it was last year. And that's not bad work for just 12 months.

Good for you. I don't see any difference at all. We replaced Zig with Zag.

Good for you. I don't see any difference at all. We replaced Zig with Zag.

Coming from someone who voted for everyone on the ballot paper but Fianna Fail and Fine Gael, because I had that exact fear, that's simply not been the case.

Whenever I hear cack like that it does a disservice to just how poor FF were and makes me feel that people are just going to moan for the sake of it no matter what options they're given. How quickly we forget.

I remember predicting, on here I believe, that FF would be back in power within the decade. Attitudes like this, failing to realise when we actually have a better alternative, are exactly why I still stand by that.

Coming from someone who voted for everyone on the ballot paper but Fianna Fail and Fine Gael, because I had that exact fear, that's simply not been the case.

Whenever I hear cack like that it does a disservice to just how poor FF were and makes me feel that people are just going to moan for the sake of it no matter what options they're given. How quickly we forget.

I remember predicting, on here I believe, that FF would be back in power within the decade. Attitudes like this, failing to realise when we actually have a better alternative, are exactly why I still stand by that.

They won't be back because people won't forget their corruption. However that does not mean that F.G. are any better. They have broken most of their promises and have not implemented any of their 5 point plan as far as I can see. My attitude is the same for both FF and FG to be honest. Cronyism and promise breaking still very much in evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss!:(

They won't be back because people won't forget their corruption. However that does not mean that F.G. are any better. They have broken most of their promises and have not implemented any of their 5 point plan as far as I can see. My attitude is the same for both FF and FG to be honest. Cronyism and promise breaking still very much in evidence.

And yet you supply none to back up your claims...

We've given them a 5-year mandate for government. It's unfair to judge them word-for-word on pre-election promises (which are compromised, to begin with, as soon as you enter into a coalition) and their programme for government one year into that term.

You're forgetting Fianna Fail's corruption yourself in this post by saying Fine Gael are on a similar scale to them. You either don't understand, or have already forgotten, how bad they were in less than 12 months.

And yet you supply none to back up your claims...

We've given them a 5-year mandate for government. It's unfair to judge them word-for-word on pre-election promises (which are compromised, to begin with, as soon as you enter into a coalition) and their programme for government one year into that term.

You're forgetting Fianna Fail's corruption yourself in this post by saying Fine Gael are on a similar scale to them. You either don't understand, or have already forgotten, how bad they were in less than 12 months.

Jesus have you not seen where Enda had broken rules on wages to give his cronies pay rises. He has allowed new quangos, allowed banking board members to remain, made two contrasting speeches of late on who is to blame for the mess, done nothing about winding down the Seanad etc.
    Have you been abroad for a long time ?

Jesus have you not seen where Enda had broken rules on wages to give his cronies pay rises. He has allowed new quangos, allowed banking board members to remain, made two contrasting speeches of late on who is to blame for the mess, done nothing about winding down the Seanad etc.
    Have you been abroad for a long time ?

No, I don't just base my opinions on buzzwords the papers inform me are supposed to make me angry, like 'cronies' (:mad:) and 'quangos' (:mad::mad::mad:). I mean, with respect and I don't mean this personally, but your post reads more like the collections of The Star's headlines over the past 3 months instead of fully-formed opinions.

Example: doing nothing to wind down The Seanad? Are two referendums in one-year not enough for you now? Would you like them to wave a wand and just magically fix the country in an instant now or what? No, you'd likely moan that they weren't putting in the time to draw up proper legislation if they tried that (see the SOPA thread for more of this).

Throwing a hissy fit about him blaming Irish people for the state of the economy is also ridiculous and tabloid-like. His comments were ill-judged but were also true. Jesus, we moan when we get a bit of ****ing honesty from our politicians, then complain about them being liars in the same breath.

Do you now see why I just feel this criticism is moaning for the sake of it? FF genuinely destroyed this country. Again, I put the onus back on you, give me any evidence as to how Fine Gael have even come CLOSE to doing the same level damage and are thus worthy of comparison? And use facts, not buzzwords, in doing so please.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CrankyCod

People seem to forger that Cowen and Co were ELECTED, they didn't come up the Liffey in longboats.

Every time you read something like "Fianna Fail ruined the country" replace the words "Fianna Fail" with "the electorate".

The Irish political system is perfectly representative of the Irish people, that's the scariest thing about the last 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

CrankyCod wrote: »
    People seem to forger that Cowen and Co were ELECTED, they didn't come up the Liffey in longboats.

Every time you read something like "Fianna Fail ruined the country" replace the words "Fianna Fail" with "the electorate".

The Irish political system is perfectly representative of the Irish people, that's the scariest thing about the last 10 years.

I don't believe it is representative of Irish people.

If you setup national government to also cover local issues, you should not be surprised when local people pick a politician in the local interest over national interest.

To fix that, you need to fix the system. Otherwise if Joe helps Mary get planning permission, she will most likely vote for Joe for delivering what she wanted.

Ireland's problem is a broken political system that results in mostly teachers running for positions since they are free to return to their posts should they fail.

So many reasons that have little to do with the people. If you introduced the same system in another country, you'd likely see similar results. The Irish are not that unique.

Our government was warned by the EU to take a different direction hence the rhetoric from McCreevy in 2000 and 2001. Hardly the shining example set.
    So yep, "wanton abandonment" suits just fine.

Stop trying to blame everyone else. Nobody was forced to do anything.
    yes the e.u sets a shining example with their wonderful economic policies. its a pity their banks didnt follow their advice and not pump so much money into the irish property boom. still we were a third world economy and were heading back there just with better roads and bigger houses.

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    I'm extremely pissed off with the litany of lies and broken promises from Fine Gael
    (why is Irish still compulsory for the Leaving Cert cycle ? Did Brian Hayes/Fine Gael forget about this promise too?)

Even so, you'd have to be on potent mind altering substances to try compare Cowen to Enda Kenny, or any other politician for that matter.

Cowen must be one of the worst leaders in Modern Western European history and up there as one of the most arrogant also? One of the great shames is that I don't think future generations will really be able to grasp the sheer arrogance of that Cabinet....Cowen, Dempsey, Dermot Ahern... 3 of the most arrogant yet simultaneously bumbling politicians in Irish history. Noel Depmsey was like the Irish mussolini.

Bertie I genuinely believe is not mentally all there.
    I believe he should have been psychologically evaluated.
    I have heard a number of people with experience in the mental health field state that the man seems to display numerous symptoms of mental health problems.

Brian Lenihan made massive mistakes, nobody would doubt it, but I genuinely do feel sympathy for him because while he seemed to be doing everything in his power to try and recover from his disastrous mistake with the bank guarantee, and basically try to hold the state together and hold off a bailout - his own fcuking boss was getting pissed and going on the radio hammered. Just incredible, if it were the army, Cowen would have been shot at dawn.

If you tried to make a documentary about Cowen, it would be near impossible. The man is a caricature.

The man epitomises everything that was grotesque about the Celtic Pyramid and what I believe will in future be regarded as even more grotesque than the Civil War. Truely Ireland at it's worst.

you dont like to exagerate much.......

No, I don't just base my opinions on buzzwords the papers inform me are supposed to make me angry, like 'cronies' (:mad:) and 'quangos' (:mad::mad::mad:). I mean, with respect and I don't mean this personally, but your post reads more like the collections of The Star's headlines over the past 3 months instead of fully-formed opinions.

Example: doing nothing to wind down The Seanad? Are two referendums in one-year not enough for you now? Would you like them to wave a wand and just magically fix the country in an instant now or what? No, you'd likely moan that they weren't putting in the time to draw up proper legislation if they tried that (see the SOPA thread for more of this).

Throwing a hissy fit about him blaming Irish people for the state of the economy is also ridiculous and tabloid-like. His comments were ill-judged but were also true. Jesus, we moan when we get a bit of ****ing honesty from our politicians, then complain about them being liars in the same breath.

Do you now see why I just feel this criticism is moaning for the sake of it? FF genuinely destroyed this country. Again, I put the onus back on you, give me any evidence as to how Fine Gael have even come CLOSE to doing the same level damage and are thus worthy of comparison? And use facts, not buzzwords, in doing so please.

Firstly I don't read the Star or any other newspaper as the Govt have a big influence in most of them in my opinion.
    F.G. were useless even while in opposition and were content to play along with F.F. Silence is golden.
    A pay rise for Enda's adviser is not a buzzword at all its going against their own advice. Reinstating the NUI quango (3m) is also going against their promises. Now on what Enda said last week, it is entirely conflicting with what he said in his pre budger speech to the nation. Now you tell me which speech was he lying in ?

• Advertisement

Firstly I don't read the Star or any other newspaper as the Govt have a big influence in most of them in my opinion.
    F.G. were useless even while in opposition and were content to play along with F.F. Silence is golden.
    A pay rise for Enda's adviser is not a buzzword at all its going against their own advice. Reinstating the NUI quango (3m) is also going against their promises. Now on what Enda said last week, it is entirely conflicting with what he said in his pre budger speech to the nation. Now you tell me which speech was he lying in ?

I'm sorry if you are new to the concept of democratic politics, but taking politicians at their every word is extremely naive. They have to please the public while also trying to make positive changes to fix problems often caused by that exact public. So the truth is often considered a worthy trade-off in the process of achieving a greater good. You'd be much better served judging their actions.

For example, would you consider Obama just as destructive for his country as Fianna Fail were for Ireland?

Now, since it's you not me who is making the accusation, would you care to tell me one decision FG have made in government that is as damaging as the blanket bank bailout? A pay rise for an adviser or the introduction of a new quango doesn't really cut it tbh, you're going to have to dig deeper to substantiate that sensationalist argument.

Speaking of which, how do you feel Fine Gael or Labour influence The Star editorially? Any evidence for that? You're verging on taxi driver rhetoric with some of your claims now...

Advertisement