Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Salaries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Well in theory if they do a good job there will be lots of viewers. Lots of viewers = lots of ad revenue. Therefore they should be worth it.

However in reality noone watches RTE so I have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Damien360

Mad figures but they are semi-state and nothing can be done. The salaries are based on the revenue they generate for RTE. That is calculated on advertising revenue and the rate charged is based on the calculated viewers/listeners.

The last part is the one that bugs me. 600,000 viewers for Late Late Show. I am closing in on 40 and I can count 5 people that watch it. It would also seem odd that the presenters salaries are based on turnover, instead of reflecting at least some of the costs involved.

What you fail to add is some of the hours put in by the same presenters. Marian Finnucane does the sum total of 4 hours radio for her pay. What is the rate of advertising per slot and how many slots in an hour. Cannot be covering her salary in any way whatsoever.

We have a population of greater manchester and pay should reflect that. Salaries no better than Manchester Radio and TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not this again!

Its not really economic unless you think RTE star contract pay is emblematic of semi-states generally.

I think its something that developed almost by accident and no one shouted "stop!". The big names knew they were big as the other media kept referring to them as household names and the very programmes they front often bore their name. RTE got rich on TV licence hikes and the boom in advertising in the Celtic Tiger era esp the fake Tiger (2002-2007) TV3 and Newstalk were national competition and in theory might try to poach a top name - they never did of course, (Dunphys Friday Night on TV3 doesn't really count as he is a freelancer) they only got those who's day had already come and gone like Mark Cagney. But RTE caved in anyway and signed for long term contracts that were well above any true market rate. The top 10 are now on about 30% less than peak, the next round of negotiations will be interesting as there seems to be a
    move by the revenue with regard to the fact the stars are not paid a salary directly but draw an income from a company of which they are the only employee and so avoid tax to a certain % as compared to a regular employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

srsly78 wrote: »

Rte1 & 2 have a combined share of 27% of the Irish tv market - hardly nobody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

antoobrien wrote: »
    Rte1 & 2 have a combined share of 27% of the Irish tv market - hardly nobody.

Mainly because they use the TV licence fee income to buy popular US shows and sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Mainly because they use the TV licence fee income to buy popular US shows and sports.

At least that's using the money in a good way to attract viewers.

The wages of presenters on the other hand....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Not really no. RTE 1 is mostly domestic (except films, documentarties and the like), rte 2 is mostly sport and foreign - and is not helping them get the upper hand on TV3.

http://www.tamireland.ie/
    Channel | % Share
    RTE 1 | 18.11
    RTE 2 | 8.81
    TV3 | 9.88

• Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

In an age of Netflix, Torrents and Box-sets, I can't see that being a working strategy...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

RTE is like most other state bodies; undereffective, a lot of overpaid/over holidayed staff especially at upper levels, oversized in general has an uncanny ability to make embarrassing half-a$$ed copies of succesful things from the abroad.

The TV tax should be scrapped,
    RTE will then be forced to cut number of channels/staff and stand on its own 2 feet with its significant ad money

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

Damien360 wrote: »
    What you fail to add is some of the hours put in by the same presenters. Marian Finnucane does the sum total of 4 hours radio for her pay. What is the rate of advertising per slot and how many slots in an hour. Cannot be covering her salary in any way whatsoever.

Yes, because there is no prep time, research or production meetings that need doing as a presenter. While I think they are overpaid, comments like this greatly underestimate the workload and difficulty of the job. If you think it is so easy and cushy, go get a job on the telly. While many people criticise Pat Kenny, he is a very knowledgeable and sharp guy.... not so much so that he is worth three quarters of a million as I don't think tv3 (the only competition for Pats talents) could afford such a salary for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

Max Powers wrote: »
    RTE is like most other state bodies; undereffective, a lot of overpaid/over holidayed staff especially at upper levels, oversized in general has an uncanny ability to make embarrassing half-a$$ed copies of succesful things from the abroad.

The TV tax should be scrapped,
    RTE will then be forced to cut number of channels/staff and stand on its own 2 feet with its significant ad money

So TV should just be about competing for audience figures? Guess we'll get x-factor and Britain's got talent type sh1te on 24 hour cycles in that world. TV should have a cultural and educational value and not just commercial concerns. While it can be argued that RTE are failing to properly fulfill this role as state broadcaster - it is that role that the licence fee pays for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Yes, because there is no prep time, research or production meetings that need doing as a presenter. While I think they are overpaid, comments like this greatly underestimate the workload and difficulty of the job. If you think it is so easy and cushy, go get a job on the telly. While many people criticise Pat Kenny, he is a very knowledgeable and sharp guy.... not so much so that he is worth three quarters of a million as I don't think tv3 (the only competition for Pats talents) could afford such a salary for him.

They should reduce their pay to the level above what the competition would pay and no more. I guarantee that no other broadcaster would pay them anything remotely near what they currently get

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carpejugulum

People get upset about the household charge, but TV license is a much more unfair and unreasonable tax.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Jayus lads,,lay off RTE and the licence fee.

Poor Pat Kenny needs every cent he can get,as he cant get by on 500k a year.

Hes having a tough life you knwo............................:pac::pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

RTE ratings are down the sh!thole,yet these assholes are still demanding premium hollywood wages..FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

The wages are obscene really and the content on RTE is absolutely appalling.

For the cost of the station to the tax payer, I'm struggling to think of a single original production by RTE that has been picked up or even broadcast anywhere else in the world at any stage in the last 50+ years.

The service is absolutely atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I'm struggling to think of a single original production by RTE that has been picked up or even broadcast anywhere else in the world at any stage in the last 50+ years.

The Lyrics Board has been franchised all over the place. They love it! Proof that, while RTE may be iffy, there's far worse out there in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Black Smoke

paddy147 wrote: »
    Jayus lads,,lay off RTE and the licence fee.

Poor Pat Kenny needs every cent he can get,as he cant get by on 500k a year.

Hes having a tough life you knwo............................:pac::pac:

Didn't he have to "borrow", a bit of land off his neighbour to try make ends meet:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,169 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I've always wondered if the head honcho's at RTE called in the likes of PK, Miriam, Turbidy, Joe Duffy etc and said "listen folks, we are broke, and we are putting a salary cap on wages here at €150k, you've got to take it or leave it", how many would actually leave?

Lets be honest, maybe one or 2 might get a better paying job across the water (such as Turbidy as he has done some time at the BBC), but the rest of them are only 'big' here in this small country. Would anyone like BBC, Sky, ITV, C4, CNN, ITN etc really want the likes of Miriam, or Joe duffy or Pat Kenny?

I think not, and I think they'd sign on the dotted line for the €150k. Fortune saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

RTE spent hundreds of millions last year. I think this focus on top presenter salaries is a convenient distraction from what looks like massive over-spending in general, probably at all levels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

It's fairly simple really, these guys are all on fairly short contracts. Come renewal time, offer them 1/4. No-one else would hire them for even that, so play hardball RTE, have some nerve. Regardless, reality will, as always, prevail eventually, and this is what will happen. Good. Just give it a bit of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

NIMAN wrote: »
    I've always wondered if the head honcho's at RTE called in the likes of PK, Miriam, Turbidy, Joe Duffy etc and said "listen folks, we are broke, and we are putting a salary cap on wages here at €150k, you've got to take it or leave it", how many would actually leave?

Lets be honest, maybe one or 2 might get a better paying job across the water (such as Turbidy as he has done some time at the BBC), but the rest of them are only 'big' here in this small country. Would anyone like BBC, Sky, ITV, C4, CNN, ITN etc really want the likes of Miriam, or Joe duffy or Pat Kenny?

I think not, and I think they'd sign on the dotted line for the €150k. Fortune saved.
    The head honchos are in-laws, friends, golfing buddies of the 'stars'. And if the 'stars' are on huge salaries, it makes the management's salaries look small in comparison.
    hmmm wrote: »
    RTE spent hundreds of millions last year. I think this focus on top presenter salaries is a convenient distraction from what looks like massive over-spending in general, probably at all levels.

It's interesting that the credits of an RTE show will often have 40-50 names in the credits while a TG4 production might have less than 20, with no real difference in quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

NIMAN wrote: »

It's not the BBC or Channel 4 poaching their stars that concerns RTE, it's Newstalk and TV3 doing it.

Bear in mind that these salary levels are related to ad revenues. Gerry Ryan took a massive amount of stick when he initially refused to take a paycut along with RTE's other stars, claiming that he was worth what he was being paid. He gave in eventually, but after his death his original point was proved - listenership is way down for his slot, meaning much less coming in from selling advertising in that slot.

Now, just to be clear, I think these people are all mediocre talents, and I can't account for their popularity (just like I can't account for the popularity of Davina McCall or Graham Norton in the UK,) but if RTE slashed Pat Kenny's or Joe Duffy's pay packets, the O'Brien-controlled media outlets would be more than happy to offer well in excess of 150k euro a year for their services.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

Gerry Ryan only worked the first four months of 2010 too !

He was worth the money though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

Kinski wrote: »
    It's not the BBC or Channel 4 poaching their stars that concerns RTE, it's Newstalk and TV3 doing it.

Bear in mind that these salary levels are related to ad revenues. Gerry Ryan took a massive amount of stick when he initially refused to take a paycut along with RTE's other stars, claiming that he was worth what he was being paid. He gave in eventually, but after his death his original point was proved - listenership is way down for his slot, meaning much less coming in from selling advertising in that slot.

Now, just to be clear, I think these people are all mediocre talents, and I can't account for their popularity (just like I can't account for the popularity of Davina McCall or Graham Norton in the UK,) but if RTE slashed Pat Kenny's or Joe Duffy's pay packets, the O'Brien-controlled media outlets would be more than happy to offer well in excess of 150k euro a year for their services.

I'd like to see that actually happen - I have my doubts TBH. Ray d'Arcy is the biggest independent name and he's on €250K. He's worth it to TodayFM because he's built up the listenership - but it took a long time. I'd be surprised if anyone except ian Dempsey is anywhere near him - and Newstalk are well known to be poor payers (relatively speaking.)

I just can't see e.g. Joe Duffy hacking it on 4FM - he doesn't have a 'Unique Selling Point' - any decent broadcaster can do what he does.

anyway, this is all idle specualtion, because RTE won't bite the bullet - and we are the ones who suffer!

blindsider wrote: »
    anyway, this is all idle specualtion, because RTE won't bite the bullet - and we are the ones who suffer!

We may find out if RTE ever tries to tempt Darcy back to the fold. He's still got something like 80,000 less listeners than Ryan had (and is on half as much), but is more popular than Tubridy.

As an aside, for nepotism-fans, I like to point out (because it doesn't seem common enough knowledge) that Tubridy's grandfather Todd Andrews was a prominent FF supporter, who was not only DG of RTE, but also served stints as chairman of CIE and managing director of Bord na Mona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I thought EVERYONE knew that Todd Andrews was Tubs grandpappy, and is cousin to various other FF Andrews.

You'd be surprised.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

People here really think there will be cuts on RTE for the "top dogs"? Really?

All that needs to be said is that the people paying the wages are good mates of the "top dogs" of RTE presenters. Nuff said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

srsly78 wrote: »
    Well in theory if they do a good job there will be lots of viewers. Lots of viewers = lots of ad revenue. Therefore they should be worth it.

It doesnt stand up that Irish tv show presenters wages are based on viewer figures and therefore ad revenue, because english tv show presenters who broadcast to many times more viewers arent paid the same multiple amount of salary.
    RTE presenters are way overpaid, and deluded. Miriam O'Callaghan was touted as a potential presidential candidate, albeit by her buddies in the media but rather than dismiss such a mad idea miriam said that she was "honoured" to be linked with the job.
    Just goes to show how far up her arse her head is

Advertisement