Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 drbtrenier

Hey guys, did anyone here do the Independent Academy's HPAT prep course? If so, would recommend it?

Hi there, yes, I did it on the last weekend so it was pretty close to the actual HPAT, so I found it was all pretty fresh in my mind. They work through lots of samples and you get a good bit of practice material too, plus you do the mock exam under actual conditions which was really helpful for timing. So yes, I'd recommend it! And it was worth it since I'm now starting Med in UCD, first choice! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭spasmaster

Anyone know when you can give in the Garda vetting forms?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tweetybird4848

Librium wrote: »
    people should post up GPs charging for this ****, name and shame

I'm sorry but I don't agree with this at all. GPs provide a service and it's our responsibility to get this health screening before we register. It is by no means the GPs responsibility to give this screening free of charge.

Perhaps you should direct your anger at either the university you are entering or the government. GPs are well within their rights to charge for this service. I'm sure nearly all do charge and rightly so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Librium

scabby ****s shouldn't be charging their , make enough already

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The problem seems to be some doctors are doing it for free, while others are charging.
    Different reasons for doing medicine I suppose. An early lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭dcam

In fairness though the GP has to pay to buy in these vaccines. They shouldn't have to pay for this out of their own pocket just because it's for a med student. GP'S in general are very good to med students, as in a lot won't charge patients who are studying med if they're in for a regular appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sheeba7

Has anybody here gotten medicine with less than 550 points this year ?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

sheeba7 wrote: »

No one I know of, yet 3 or so could have gotten it of my friends. One of my friends got 203 I think? So he was well able to get Medicine. He 585 in the real LC so... he was well in there.

It is extremely possible with a good HPAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

less dependence on the hpat the better imo! its best to be aiming for 600. You dont know how the hpat will go.

good luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Mad Shark

I know someone who got 545 and got in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Saracarroll

Has anyone heard from UCC yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

what date are we supposed to arrive in Trinity at? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nazata

what date are we supposed to arrive in Trinity at? :confused:

Freshers week begins September 17th and lectures begin on the 24th :)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

Nazata wrote: »
    Freshers week begins September 17th and lectures begin on the 24th :)

so we dont have to arrive earlier than 17th for registration or anything then, no ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 KoolAidRelic

Last year, registration was done in Fresher's week, and med was on the Friday morning. I suspect the story's the same or similar (although registration's being changed a lot this year...)

Also: someone's started the Trinity Med Class of 2017 on Facebook - very useful to join it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Last year, registration was done in Fresher's week, and med was on the Friday morning. I suspect the story's the same or similar (although registration's being changed a lot this year...)

Also: someone's started the Trinity Med Class of 2017 on Facebook - very useful to join it.

Registration is online this year isn't it? You just have to collect your student card etc during Freshers week.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Dublad93

Yep, myself thank God, 545 + 195 :) (though 2 or 3 subjects were well down on what i had hoped to get).

Hope all the contributers were happy with how things panned out for them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Dublad93

Hey guys, did anyone here do the Independent Academy's HPAT prep course? If so, would recommend it?

I just did the free seminars they were offering and from what they offered in those two days I'd advise just stick to ********...The Aussie chap ******** sends over is a genius, really focusses you in the run-up to the Hpat, especially if you really put the work in on the drills, exams etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 seasonoflove

RCSI going down to 739... chances?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

I could have gotten in to whichever non dub college had 737 overall. 545 here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 kellogskelly

Has anyone heard from UCC yet?

nope haven't heard from them yet! thought i was the only one but my friends haven't either! think we're meant to get a letter from them before the 4th :)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

nope haven't heard from them yet! thought i was the only one but my friends haven't either! think we're meant to get a letter from them before the 4th :)

They're busy sorting out us Gradmed folk, we start on Friday, sorry lads :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Saracarroll

I was just worried that i had pressed the wrong buttoned on the cao *roll eyes*

I was just worried that i had pressed the wrong buttoned on the cao *roll eyes*

And I was just offering an explanation as to why you might not have been contacted :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Boo-urns! I want my letter! :P

The first round CAO deadline was Monday so hopefully UCC spent today sending out the registration packs and we'll get them tomorrow :D ............ That's probably a little optimistic :P

Boo-urns! I want my letter! :P

The first round CAO deadline was Monday so hopefully UCC spent today sending out the registration packs and we'll get them tomorrow :D ............ That's probably a little optimistic :P

We got our offers on the 2nd of August and had to accept by the 9th. I don't think we heard from UCC for nearly another week! Since I had my first letter from them, I've had something new pretty much every day, so it seems they're slow to get moving but once they do, they're very good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Does anyone know if there is a public listing off the total number of medical places available via undergraduate and graduate entry in ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ashh

Any second round predictions?...S:

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

I doubt we'll see much movement ashh.. Seems so tight this year already.

TCD, UCD, and Cork are already on random selection from 1st round, if random selection disappears for TCD/UCD we might see some slight movement in the other medicine courses but personally I am not holding out any hope for anything more drastic than a point or two!

Good luck to anyone who is close enough to be in with a shot..

edit: here's last years changes (thanks to queen of leon for compiling)

There have been 2nd, 3rd and even further rounds for most colleges in the last few years. Last year the points were:

Trinity 741* (739* on 2nd round)
    UCD 738 (735 on 2nd round)
    UCC 734 (no 2nd round, 733* final)
    RCSI 733* (732 on 2nd round)
    NUIG 729* (729 on 2nd round, 728* final)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 ashh

Thanks hollingr, 2 points off UCD so not expecting anything! Such is life. P:

Advertisement