Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Computing in Games Development

Options
  • 20-08-2012 9:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

So CAO offers went out this morning and I was accepted for Computing in Games Development. Just curious to hear from anyone who's doing the course at the moment regarding their opinions of it.

Also, what would the job prospects outside of the games industry be like with this degree? Stuff like web development or any general software development stuff.
    Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

I find it very enjoyable for the most part. I didn't enjoy the games concept side however, Games Theory and Practice and Games Concept Design, for reasons I'm not sure I can share on this forum.

The lecturer's are easy to get on with but they can be a bit awkward with the way they teach (depends on the student more-so I guess, I found one or two to be just a bit awkward)

I went into the course with a big fear of the Art modules, But the lecturer in charge of them did a brilliant job at showing everybody the ropes.

This goes without saying, but do your C.A's as soon as you get them and don't be afraid to ask for help, while the lecturer's will rarely tell you straight out what to do, they will point you in the right direction.

As for the people, Everyone in my year was very interested in it and that made getting on with everyone that much easier, We're all avid gamers and get on great.

So yeah, All in all I enjoyed my first year and I'm very looking forward to my second year.

As for jobs, I don't really know right now what it will be like to get a job in the gaming industry at this point, but we had reports from past students that makes it look like we'll be alright in the industry once we're finished, so that's a bonus.

Give me a shout if you want anything else answered and if I can answer it, I will.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Rynox45

I'm sort of going through alternating periods of excitement and thinking I've made a terrible mistake :o I'm sure it'll be fine though.

On a related note, are there computers available at DKIT which would be able to handle any projects or would it be better to get one at home? I'm running a really old cheap computer so if it's the latter I've got a fairly large expense coming my way :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, the computers will be able to do everything you need. You'll have to go to different labs every once and a while though, cause some computers don't have Photoshop. But yeah, they can do everything. The lecturers recommend getting a laptop though, for handiness sake though. If you don't staying back in the college to do projects you should be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Rynox45

Thanks very much, you've put my nerves at ease :D

Good luck in the upcoming school year :p

And yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Akarinn

Just clicking around and seen this...
    On a related note, are there computers available at DKIT which would be able to handle any projects or would it be better to get one at home? I'm running a really old cheap computer so if it's the latter I've got a fairly large expense coming my way

As some other guy said, get a laptop.. a cheap one...

And whatever you do.. dont get a "gaming" PC or Laptop because your doing a games development course..

Even the piece of crap laptop you have could probably run any of the programs you are going to use in this course!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Aranious

I recently just finished the course (well dropped out really for reasons I'd rather not go into), if you're going into this course expecting just programming prepare to be surprised. For the first year they give you just a general view of computing which isn't too bad but we didn't design our first game until third year.

Don't let that put you off, it's the best games course in Ireland but you will get frustrated with it at times. There's a lot of political chaff involved in the course unfortunately. That said, most of the lecturer's are a joy to work with and are great teachers.

As for the computer, make sure it can run unreal tournament 3, that's what is being used for programming at the moment so it'd be wise to make sure you can run it well.

Advertisement