Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender issues in After Hours - Your feedback requested.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

They're not censoring them, at all. You can say them. You just get punished for it because it's annoying.

If you can't understand that then fine, I don't know how else to explain it.

It's a form of censorship, if you say them you get punished, in other words don't say them and that is censoring

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

It's a form of censorship, if you say them you get punished, in other words don't say them and that is censoring

Okay and why are you so uptight on those three phrases?

Why not the fact we can't say "hey, that black man should be working the cotton fields like a good slave"?

That's censorship. And no, that's not breaking any laws.

Neither is saying "hey, all Irish women are slags and useless compared to lovely Polish women". But that's not allowed.

So why those three phrases, exactly? Why not proper censorship like the word "****" for example? That's censorship, why not have a go at that?

Okay and why are you so uptight on those three phrases?

Why not the fact we can't say "hey, that black man should be working the cotton fields like a good slave"?

That's censorship. And no, that's not breaking any laws.

Neither is saying "hey, all Irish women are slags and useless compared to lovely Polish women". But that's not allowed.

So why those three phrases, exactly? Why not proper censorship like the word "****" for example? That's censorship, why not have a go at that?

I'm against censorship of any kind, I picked those three words to show how petty thing had become.

I'm against censorship of any kind, I picked those three words to show how petty thing had become.
    Well start a feedback thread about those three phrases instead of trying to use any thread to throw a hissy fit because I'm done entertaining you.

Well start a feedback thread about those three phrases instead of trying to use any thread to throw a hissy fit because I'm done entertaining you.

I started a thread, it was closed, I asked for it to be moved, it wasn't.
    And don't worry, you're really not entertaining me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Those things your talking about offer nothing to the site or its users, no different than starting a thread about taking a shít in the car forum. It wont be shut down to censor you, it will be shut down because it has no place there.

This site doesnt exist to give you or anyone else a platform to say whatever you want, it exists to give people a platform to have discussions.

Scioch wrote: »
    Those things your talking about offer nothing to the site or its users, no different than starting a thread about taking a shít in the car forum. It wont be shut down to censor you, it will be shut down because it has no place there.

This site doesnt exist to give you or anyone else a platform to say whatever you want, it exists to give people a platform to have discussions.

I've mentioned the reason why I've said those three phrases and every answer has ignored it
    It's about censorship and the hypocrisy of it in some ways on boards.
    That's it, I've made my point. I'm done

I've mentioned the reason why I've said those three phrases and every answer has ignored it
    It's about censorship and the hypocrisy of it in some ways on boards.
    That's it, I've made my point. I'm done

Well since you're done might I point out that making a thread in feedback (which you haven't done yet) instead of AH to debate the "censorship" in AH would be a step in the right direction instead of trying it in a thread that has nothing to do with the three phrases you love?

Well since you're done might I point out that making a thread in feedback (which you haven't done yet) instead of AH to debate the "censorship" in AH would be a step in the right direction instead of trying it in a thread that has nothing to do with the three phrases you love?

Where did I say I love them? In fact I clearly stated I didn't more than once, so please stop being childish about things.

Where did I say I love them? In fact I clearly stated I didn't more than once, so please stop being childish about things.

The irony of that remark.

• Advertisement

The irony of that remark.

Just because you don't agree with what I say, the same with super rush, ye have to try and insult people
    How pathetic

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Its hypocritical to censor words etc. when the site is so against Internet censorship.
    Depending on context groups of people the world over "censor" all sorts of words. Try shouting "SHARK!" when there isn't one on an Australian beach and see how well you're received. We self censor on a constant basis in social situations. You don't say "jayzuz you've great tits" when introduced to your friends new girlfriend, not unless you've a screw loose and are in need of intensive therapy. As pointed out if someone was shouting "Yore ma!" every few minutes in a conversation among friends or acquaintances, the rest would think him or her a fool/knobhead/loony[delete as applicable] and would be ostracised unless in the company of other fools/knobheads/loonies[delete as applicable].

Hey maybe you genuinely don't understand why this might be the case, or you're confusing real censorship with having the right to say anything at all, no matter how stupid, unfunny or disruptive. Or - which I feel more likely the case - you like a number of people on this thread are just looking for an excuse to be offended or nitpick for the sake of it.

Hey there are plenty of sites out there where you can "converse" in such a manner, thank providence this is not one of them. An oasis of civility in a sea of youtubery and (frankly) shíte like that, so we're all free to swim in those seas if we so choose.

BTW before the "free speech" stuff get's wheeled out as it inevitably does, there is no true free speech anywhere. It's a concept based on a scale and contxt. It certainly doesn't exist in law in Ireland in any specific way. Try saying what you like about companies or public figures and play countdown to the first solicitors letter.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    No of course they shouldn't. Why would they? I'm not exactly tall myself and I wouldn't take offence to that. Unless the woman was saying that all short men are stupid, or if the post was aimed directly at me. Just because you have a preference for something, that doesn't mean you're insulting the opposite. You just prefer one thing over another.

If I said I had a preference for curvy women, does that mean I'm insulting skinny women? I honestly don't know how anyone could take offence to something like that.
    +1 and I'll put good money down that the reasons this thread was started has feck all to do with those kind of opinions and posts.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... That's it, I've made my point.
    You have disrupted a discussion on another issue in order to make your point - which somewhat invalidates your point, because you have demonstrated why forums need to be moderated in order to keep things on track.
    I'm done
    So please drop your off-topic argument, and allow the thread to revert to its proper course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Super-Rush wrote: »
    You're the only person who complained about it and i think you're only doing it because you're attention seeking. Like i said when i closed the thread, if you want a place where blast with piss, cool story bro or yore ma are welcomed, then go to 4Chan, because we won't be changing our minds about it.

Can we please add the lazy leftie mantras of "tuk ar jewbs", "swans", and "free prams" to the list?

You have disrupted a discussion on another issue in order to make your point - which somewhat invalidates your point, because you have demonstrated why forums need to be moderated in order to keep things on track.

So please drop your off-topic argument, and allow the thread to revert to its proper course.

Well done for posting that hours later after id stopped replying

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Well done for posting that hours later after id stopped replying
    But you haven't stopped replying. Unless you've something constructive to add on the topic, please stop replying now.

You can take that as a moderator instruction from a de facto moderator of the Feedback forum. You can take it as censorship too, if that's what floats your boat, but take it seriously.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    But you haven't stopped replying. Unless you've something constructive to add on the topic, please stop replying now.

You can take that as a moderator instruction from a de facto moderator of the Feedback forum. You can take it as censorship too, if that's what floats your boat, but take it seriously.

Ok, no problem

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ok, no problem

And still you felt you had to keep posting despite being told not to by an admin. Tell you what, have a week off from this forum so you don't succumb to temptation again. And having viewed your overall record I'm putting you on notice that you're very close to a siteban. Keep up your antics and you'll only be posting in Prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Is it just me or is every single thread relating to women in AH being locked at the moment? The bbz one being the latest example. Not saying none should be locked or anything, just seems that way.

• Advertisement

flyswatter wrote: »
    Is it just me or is every single thread relating to women in AH being locked at the moment? The bbz one being the latest example. Not saying none should be locked or anything, just seems that way.

I think a lot are, yes. The bbz was because the OP was a troll.

I think the mods are (at the moment) getting a bit too touchy and slightly over-zealous due to us giving up complaints but the fine line hasn't be decided. Which obviously isn't anyone's fault. I kinda figured it might lead to a lot of topics being closed but it'll pass eventually.

I'd imagine the amount of topics being locked would decrese if the amount of posters posting generalizations decreased also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

flyswatter wrote: »

nope the rose of tralee one is still going...

btw do the "lovely girls" jokes from Father Ted cross the new line?

actually do a lot of father ted quotes cross the line now? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

hoodwinked wrote: »

Father Ted quotes got old years ago, why people still persist with them is baffling.

Yeah "Careful now" "they all have lovely bottoms" were hilarious the first eleventy million times some halfwit with no originality stuck them into a thread, but they aren't any more.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Des wrote: »
    Father Ted quotes got old years ago, why people still persist with them is baffling.

Yeah "Careful now" "they all have lovely bottoms" were hilarious the first eleventy million times some halfwit with no originality stuck them into a thread, but they aren't any more.

I don't believe it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

hoodwinked wrote: »

All about context tbh, but for the best part Father Ted quotes are ok and never get old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

I think a lot are, yes. The bbz was because the OP was a troll.

I think the mods are (at the moment) getting a bit too touchy and slightly over-zealous due to us giving up complaints but the fine line hasn't be decided. Which obviously isn't anyone's fault. I kinda figured it might lead to a lot of topics being closed but it'll pass eventually.

I'd imagine the amount of topics being locked would decrese if the amount of posters posting generalizations decreased also.

I Have to agree, that through change there is always an amount of sensitivity, mods trying to choice when to close that envelope exactly, and posters trying to push it as far as they can, it opens a whole tin of worms :)

Moral of the story check the expire by Date on the tin, cause it can get messy after it opened.

But once or twice we need to check out whats in the tin and deal with the mess, and it is normally cleaned up and forgotten about.
    :)

In other words I'm not seeing threads being closed down, I'm also really seeing mods doing their Jobs, but possibly that thread mentioned, got messy, and needed to be locked, I remember one or two mod warnings in the thread, and I could have posted it I wanted to. I only assume as you mention Brut Deluxe is because it was started by a troll, which when I was reading it open certainly read like that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

Just saw this thread now, and wanted to add my voice.

I find the sexism and misogyny in AH really distasteful, and to be honest I stay away more than I used to for that very reason.

There will always be d*cks on any message board, but what matters is how the community responds. That's what creates the culture of what's acceptable and what's not.
    It's not always about who is breaking the official rules, or whether a post is bad enough to be reported. It's just a general feeling of what's fair game.

You don't have to be in AH very long to get the feeling that objectification of women is almost expected, misogynists slurs are tolerated, supposedly 'ironic' sexism is rife, but with the actual irony missing, and anyone who tries to point out sexism is very, very quickly silenced. So as time goes on, those who object to it follow the frequent advice 'if you don't like it, don't read AH' and end up leaving, so the tolerance for 'banter' (it's not banter, it's just being a d*ck) goes up because people stop pointing it out.

It's so normal at this point I think most people don't even notice it.

AH is no place for a feminist. In my real life, my professional life, and my online life, most people I know are feminists. Not feminazis, femistazi, man-hating lesbians or any other derogatory slur. I just mean the normal, human, default position of 'women are equally deserving of respect as men, and practices that dismiss or oppress them as a group, and maintain power structures that promote masculinity and men as superior are *a bad thing*'.

It's very jarring to go somewhere like AH and it's literally like feminism was never invented.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Des wrote: »

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Kooli wrote: »
    It's very jarring to go somewhere like AH and it's literally like feminism was never invented.

Good to see we aren't getting carried away with the hyperbole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Kooli wrote: »
    Just saw this thread now, and wanted to add my voice.

I find the sexism and misogyny in AH really distasteful, and to be honest I stay away more than I used to for that very reason.

There will always be d*cks on any message board, but what matters is how the community responds. That's what creates the culture of what's acceptable and what's not.
    It's not always about who is breaking the official rules, or whether a post is bad enough to be reported. It's just a general feeling of what's fair game.

You don't have to be in AH very long to get the feeling that objectification of women is almost expected, misogynists slurs are tolerated, supposedly 'ironic' sexism is rife, but with the actual irony missing, and anyone who tries to point out sexism is very, very quickly silenced. So as time goes on, those who object to it follow the frequent advice 'if you don't like it, don't read AH' and end up leaving, so the tolerance for 'banter' (it's not banter, it's just being a d*ck) goes up because people stop pointing it out.

It's so normal at this point I think most people don't even notice it.

AH is no place for a feminist. In my real life, my professional life, and my online life, most people I know are feminists. Not feminazis, femistazi, man-hating lesbians or any other derogatory slur. I just mean the normal, human, default position of 'women are equally deserving of respect as men, and practices that dismiss or oppress them as a group, and maintain power structures that promote masculinity and men as superior are *a bad thing*'.

I don't think its that bad in After Hours these days. I'm not saying there isn't an issue there, but i don't think its as bad as you are saying it is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement