Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting, Business and Economics for LC

Options
  • 06-03-2012 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭

Would anyone recommend this subject choice? I want to get and a2 in Business, a1 in accounting and b1 or b2 in economics, would this be achievable?

Has anyone ever done this combination before??

I think it may be wise, as I like and am good at business and the three would, somewhat, link together also.

Any and all comments/insight is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭I_ENJOY_BATHS

If they are what interests you - go for it!

I don't know why you are halting your ambitions for business at an A2! if you put in the work you will be well able to get top points in all 3 subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Do it, great combination. If you go on to do a Business / Commerce course it will make 1st year that bit easier for you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭0000879k

RMD wrote: »
    Do it, great combination. If you go on to do a Business / Commerce course it will make 1st year that bit easier for you too.

Yeah I want to do Business with french in college

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Would anyone recommend this subject choice? I want to get and a2 in Business, a1 in accounting and b1 or b2 in economics, would this be achievable?

I think it may be wise, as I like and am good at business and the three would, somewhat, link together also.

Do it! I do Business and Economics and I love them both! I did Accounting for a while in 5th year but had to give it up as I was doing 10 subjects! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Do it! I do Business and Economics and I love them both! I did Accounting for a while in 5th year but had to give it up as I was doing 10 subjects! :P

I done business and accounting both at honours, I got a b2 and an a2 I wasnt the strongest in my year but put the work in you should be able to reach your targets :-) best of luck with it

My results got me into college and im nearly finishes ny degree :-)

• Advertisement

Economics isn't offered in my school but I plan to do it as an extra subject. I hear it is a short enough course and could be self thought in two years.
    I plan to start in September of 5th year.

@ Sonyvision, what course are you doing, may I ask? And how much points did you get?

got about 440-450 not sute it was 3 years ago :p

honours degree in accounting in WIT tbh the lectures are brilliant and ideal if your planning on becoming an accountant least half the class have jobs in pwc, ernest and young.

0000879k wrote: »
    Economics isn't offered in my school but I plan to do it as an extra subject. I hear it is a short enough course and could be self thought in two years.
    I plan to start in September of 5th year.

@ Sonyvision, what course are you doing, may I ask? And how much points did you get?
    I do it outside of school myself also, took it up February of 5th year and am hoping that I can get an A1/A2 in June! I found my mock handy enough and hope to achieve a B3/B2 in it! It's one of the nicest subjects in the Leaving cert. if you like Business and subjects like that! I took it up in February and had the course done in September of 6th year. I have been going back revising all the main topics since then. I am now going through the syllabus topic by topic and doing every exam question on the papers on the questions! Also do all the short questions and mark them. Best way to achieve a high grade in this subject, repetition is key in Economics!

I do it outside of school myself also, took it up February of 5th year and am hoping that I can get an A1/A2 in June! I found my mock handy enough and hope to achieve a B3/B2 in it! It's one of the nicest subjects in the Leaving cert. if you like Business and subjects like that! I took it up in February and had the course done in September of 6th year. I have been going back revising all the main topics since then. I am now going through the syllabus topic by topic and doing every exam question on the papers on the questions! Also do all the short questions and mark them. Best way to achieve a high grade in this subject, repetition is key in Economics!

I agree plenty of exam questions is the best way to go, but regards to economics is my worst subject in college, but it was my fault since i didnt apply myself enough, after getting 2 grinds from my mate who was brilliant at economics it became simple and scored 85% after failing it twice.

Finished the course in 8 months? Fair play, If I start in September of fifth year then I could have all of 6th year to revise :D

• Advertisement

EDIT: **

Got my Mock back today, I got an A2 (87%) in Higher Economics. Goes to show how lovely of a subject it is! Delighted, now I know where I made stupid mistakes and hopefully an Elasticity and National Income Question in June and I should be pushing that up to an A1! :D

If they are what interests you - go for it!

I don't know why you are halting your ambitions for business at an A2! if you put in the work you will be well able to get top points in all 3 subjects.
    Agreed, I love Business and work really hard at it. Got my Mock back today, got 92.25% A1! Never been prouder to be a Bus-head! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Thatguy97

Hey PictureFrame, you say you do economics and business and that you did Accounting. I was wondering which of the two would have more relevant information to accounting? Which would go hand-in-hand with the subject? (I'm not exactly looking for the info they share, rather the relevance to accounting.) I really want to be an accountant when I leave school and therefore want to obtain the best basic knowledge for it in my LC subjects. If you could give your opinion it would mean alot! Thanks a million :)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I almost picked those 3 subjects going into 5th year, thinking I was for sure going to do something business-related in college.. However, my career guidance told me it's not the wisest decision as you are completely shutting yourself off from other courses like Science for example where you need at least 1 science subject.. so i took her advice and only kept on one Business subject (Accounting) and 2 science. The course i had in mind to do completely changed in 5th year from Business to something science related. You don't know the relief i have for not picking 3 business subjects and no business! i'm going into 6th year this year and i've decided to pick up Economics as an extra subject and do it by myself.. it seems like an interesting subject and not too hard to pass in higher level, which is what i'd love. :P
    Only pick this 3 subjects if you are SURE what you want to do after school is business related. Any doubt, and i'd keep on at least 1 science subject

Thatguy97 wrote: »
    Hey PictureFrame, you say you do economics and business and that you did Accounting. I was wondering which of the two would have more relevant information to accounting? Which would go hand-in-hand with the subject? (I'm not exactly looking for the info they share, rather the relevance to accounting.) I really want to be an accountant when I leave school and therefore want to obtain the best basic knowledge for it in my LC subjects. If you could give your opinion it would mean alot! Thanks a million :)

I do accounting in school. I've heard there isn't much accounting in Economics or Business really.. More accounting Q's in Business though, little small accounts where you have to fill in blanks or whatever. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Thatguy97

ray2012 wrote: »
    I do accounting in school. I've heard there isn't much accounting in Economics or Business really.. More accounting Q's in Business though, little small accounts where you have to fill in blanks or whatever. :P

Thanks a mill :) so you would say business then.

yeah, business for sure. :):p

Advertisement