Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Mars rock will be blasted by a laser!

Options
  • 20-08-2012 2:41am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Yes, this little rock on the surface of Mars will soon be the first target of the laser beam from the newly landed mars rover Curiosity.

n165b.jpg

The laser beam will vapourise part of the rock so that the new Mars rover can determine its chemical composition. The rock is probably a piece of dust covered basalt but it soon will meet its fate as the invader from Earth has it in its sights.

Poor rock!:eek::(

n165-face.jpg

exp21.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I completely lost it when i scrolled down to the last picture :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

So did i :P Should've put NSFW as i burst out laughing

haha at the second pic , Sad rock is sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I don't get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

RopeDrink wrote: »
    JupiterKid - Could you not keep all these things together in your first thread rather than making a new thread everytime you get a new video or picture of this Mars crap?

You've got three threads open all about Mars, Mars, Mars - And I just know if nobody says anything there'll be more and more every week...

Mountains of Mars, Landing on Mars, Blowing up some rock on Mars... Next it'll be 'Leaving Mars', 'Wish we could go back to Mars', 'Went back to Mars', 'Took over Mars'...

Wait til you see him when they send Curiosity II to Jupiter!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

JupiterKid - Could you not keep all these things together in your first thread rather than making a new thread everytime you get a new video or picture of this Mars crap?

You've got three threads open all about Mars, Mars, Mars - And I just know if nobody says anything there'll be more and more every week...

Mountains of Mars, Landing on Mars, Blowing up some rock on Mars... Next it'll be 'Leaving Mars', 'Wish we could go back to Mars', 'Went back to Mars', 'Took over Mars'...

Oh just wait to see his 10 part photographic essay on Jupiter. Each part is such perfection that it requires it's own thread. Actually, I would go so far as to suggest that a different forum be created for each part.

P.S. Mars pics are cool.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Always imagined the inter-planetary, inter-dimensional conflict would be started by a Gordon Freeman type. Instead no, it's Johnny 5 on Mars blowing up rocks.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I'll keep the Mars threads to these three and will update them when new images come in from Curiosity.:o I think images from another planet are very cool.:cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

If this happens and it doesn't get its own thread somewhere I will be disappointed,
    The Pics are cool JupiterKid they really show what human endeavor can accomplish

i enjoy the Mars related stuff. Its not everyday a new robot lands on another planet.

Perhaps merge everything into an "All things Mars" Thread

Kenno90 wrote: »
    i enjoy the Mars related stuff. Its not everyday a new robot lands on another planet.

Perhaps merge everything into an "All things Mars" Thread

To be fair, we first landed on Mars in the 70's and have done so several times since then. It's not that big a deal

• Advertisement

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    To be fair, we first landed on Mars in the 70's and have done so several times since then. It's not that big a deal

So by that sense if we landed on the moon again, you'd be like 'Whatever we did that in the 60's' :confused:

It might not be a big deal to you, but to millions of others, it is.

Besides we bring more and more advanced technology with each visit, creating huge amounts of data.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Yeah, but there's lasers and **** now. It's cooler.

Kenno90 wrote: »
    So by that sense if we landed on the moon again, you'd be like 'Whatever we did that in the 60's' :confused:

It might not be a big deal to you, but to millions of others, it is.

Besides we bring more and more advanced technology with each visit, creating huge amounts of data.

Big difference between setting foot on a planet/moon and landing a robot on it. No comparison, in fact.

I have the feeling that this is a big deal to the world at large because most people aren't aware of the several other times we have landed on the red planet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

An explosion that size without oxygen? This will be interesting... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

What kind of laser are they using? Is it a pew pew laser? I think it must be, when I searched for pew pew lasers on google, this experiment was a top news result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Mars Bars, the official snack of the Mars exploration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

ScumLord wrote: »
    What kind of laser are they using? Is it a pew pew laser? I think it must be, when I searched for pew pew lasers on google, this experiment was a top news result.
    Ask and you shall receive: http://libs.lanl.gov/CHEMCAM_1_pg_web.pdf
    Brief, 5 ns pulses from a 30 mJ Nd:KGW laser at 1067 nm create light-emitting plasmas from the materials ablated from the sample. The emission spectra consist of spectrally narrow atomic and first- ionized emission lines from the elements contained in the sample. ChemCam’s spectral range covers 240- 860 nm in 3 spectrometers with resolutions between 0.15 and 0.65 nm FWHM. LIBS detects nearly all elements, including H, C, N, O, with most elements displaying multiple emission lines. Sensitivity to alkali elements is very high, with detection limits close to 10 ppm for Li. LIBS yields major element compositions at ±10% relative accuracy and precision.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Well, fortunately for the rock, it survived the laser beam from the Curiosity rover with only a tiny piece of it singed.:)

Now the rover can train the laser of thousands of targets in its mission.

coronation.jpg

pia16075.jpg

Advertisement