Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Behold the Mountains of Mars!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Delphi91 wrote: »
    That's a fantastic picture......

Its a photo of the surface of another planet........... another planet !!! Its amazing. Its just amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Those images are amazing.

But one thing comes to mind. Its not really red for a planet thats nick named 'The Red Planet' - also, total recall really had it wrong. lol.

But one thing comes to mind. Its not really red for a planet thats nick named 'The Red Planet' - also, total recall really had it wrong. lol.

Think I read somewhere once that the original images of mars were developed wrong or had the wrong colour layering on them or something (because the pics were sent back in black and white and had the colour added based on sciency things) which shows it to be red while it was actually brown. So the whole red planet thing came from that I think.

Open to correction though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Scioch wrote: »
    Think I read somewhere once that the original images of mars were developed wrong or had the wrong colour layering on them or something (because the pics were sent back in black and white and had the colour added based on sciency things) which shows it to be red while it was actually brown. So the whole red planet thing came from that I think.

If thats the case the brown planet sounds fairly naff! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Blair

all these little pebbles are on mars!

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/msss/00003/mcam/0003ML0000125000E1_DXXX.jpg
    Im seeing a lot of faces in those pebbbles :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

these color pictures are amazing, the place looks just like a massive earth desert, hope i get to see humans on mars in my lifetime
    That would be amazing. I was born in 1970 and often wished I'd been born before the first moon landing, and old enough to appreciate it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

these color pictures are amazing, the place looks just like a massive earth desert, hope i get to see humans on mars in my lifetime

Pretty sure I heard or read that they're thinking of a manned mission in the 2030's, so not that long to wait.

Awesome pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Pretty sure I heard or read that they're thinking of a manned mission in the 2030's, so not that long to wait.

Yeah, they are thinking alright but no one has the money. NASA's budget has been slashed year on year. They can't even afford to go to the moon now if they wanted to. They could do a manned mission to Mars in the next 10 years but it would be one way only.

Realistically you are looking at 2050/60 for a manned Mars mission. You can blame a few things on that, the end of the Cold War, shrinking defence budgets, the War on Terror and the Global Recession.

If we got back to the Moon by the 2030s we would be doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Yeah, they are thinking alright but no one has the money. NASA's budget has been slashed year on year. They can't even afford to go to the moon now if they wanted to. They could do a manned mission to Mars in the next 10 years but it would be one way only.

Realistically you are looking at 2050/60 for a manned Mars mission. You can blame a few things on that, the end of the Cold War, shrinking defence budgets, the War on Terror and the Global Recession.

If we got back to the Moon by the 2030s we would be doing well.

whats Chinas space program like? they havnt got any shortage of cash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

Awesome stuff !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

While I agree that the quality of the pictures returned are fantastic – especially TheIrishGrover 360 degree image link. Is anybody curious what Mars sounds like? Are NASA releasing any AV from Mars?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

It's much simpler than that really, the 'red planet' thing came about because Mars is red to the naked eye due to the dust in its atmosphere.
    Rabies wrote: »
    Red somewhere that the camera sends back 4mb pictures. That seems very small. Was expecting high res images. Too much data to send back?
    Actually, the data between Curiosity and the Orbiter is up to 2mb/s mark and it sends back about 100-250mb a (Martian) day.

It's actually pretty depressing that NASA can create a better data connection between 2 objects 100,000,000 km away than you can get in a lot of rural Ireland.
    LK_Dave wrote: »
    While I agree that the quality of the pictures returned are fantastic – especially TheIrishGrover 360 degree image link. Is anybody curious what Mars sounds like? Are NASA releasing any AV from Mars?
    Since the atmosphere is fairly thin, I'd imagine it's fairly quiet out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Blowfish wrote: »
    Since the atmosphere is fairly thin, I'd imagine it's fairly quiet out there.

would still be amazing to find out. hopefully NASA will release something

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

There's going to be a full hi-res video (no sound afaik.) of the actual entry and descent. Everyone is looking forward to that, the thing is it's quite a big file for a tiny processor and like any parent they want to know how their child is doing health wise before they see the amazing pictures of where they've been. Communication time and speed is limited, so other things take priority and we just gotta wait. :(

Here's the thumbnail version.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

Really great stuff. Space exploration has been so boring recently, now I'm enjoying this. If anybody's on Twitter, follow Curiosity, NASA have an unusually funny, non-boring feed.

Looks like you got your wish :D
    Curiosity Audio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Looks like you got your wish :D
    Curiosity Audio

:( I'm so disappointed! And on top of that I'm not even sure what the joke is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,577 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Is that mars or new mexico ?

It's a bit like the Main Road round here.

It's so hard to wrap my head around the fact that those images are actually a completely different planet and what we're looking at is millions of miles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

From the current AMA ongoing on reddit.

WHY NO MICROPHONE???

We took a microphone on the Phoenix Mars Lander, and we turned it on but essentially heard nothing (white noise) so it was never released. We don't really need it for any experiments.
    We do have the landing signal sound as it sounded from one of the orbiters.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

GAAman wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

tumblr_m8m113gZzw1rrrq38o1_500.jpg
    What's the second sun looking thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

All the pictures published so far have been "white balanced" to match lighting conditions on earth. Without these artificial corrections, the scene would be intensely red in colour and significantly darker as well. The corrections are made in part to aid analysis by geologists, to enable them to make comparisons based on Earth geology.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

ScumLord wrote: »
    What's the second sun looking thing?

That's a photoshop. The sun as visible from Mars is miniscule (think about it, it's much further away than here). The other body would have to be one of its moons, Phobos and Deimos, neither of which is spherical and, as the sun is in the foreground, would not have a source to illumincate them so.

Here's an actual photo of the sun seen from Mars.
    mars_sunset.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

They could do a manned mission to Mars in the next 10 years but it would be one way only.

I would still volunteer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Zirconia wrote: »
    All the pictures published so far have been "white balanced" to match lighting conditions on earth. Without these artificial corrections, the scene would be intensely red in colour and significantly darker as well. The corrections are made in part to aid analysis by geologists, to enable them to make comparisons based on Earth geology.

Wow.
    Would be cool to see an actual untouched photo of it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

mars.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Mount Sharp in glorious colour as seen by Curiosity. Mount Sharp is 5,500 metres (18,000 feet) in height and is the ultimate destination of the Curiosity rover. It stands at the centre of the huge Gale Crater.

http://galegazette.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/mt-sharp-col1b.jpg

A close up of part of the lower slopes of Mount Sharp shows up the layered rock formations that Curiosity will study.:)

http://galegazette.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/promised-land-mosaic-1c.jpg

Advertisement