Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ZWCAD

• 07-08-2012 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hi all, we're looking to upgrade our CAD system in the office. We currently use AutoCAD 2008 LT and the IT lads we use have recommended ZWCAD as it's about 800 euro rather than 4000 euro for the equivalent Autodesk version. ZWCAD is made in China. I've downloaded a trial version and it looks a lot like the pre-ribbon CAD set up and so far seems to have all the full CAD version tools but runs a little jumpy (could be the trial version.) Has anyone used this program or currently using it in their offices? any advice on positives negatives etc? I've done a bit of a search on it and have found very little discussion. So any advice would help. Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

If it's just for 2D CAD, maybe consider DraftSight? Free for single licences and presumably cheaper than AutoCAD for multiple. I got it bundled for free with my SolidWorks installation and was stunned with how similar to AutoCAD (the older versions at least) they made it. Worth a bash for a trial at least.

I'd be wary of any new CAD programme with little support - you really need an active user base to sort out problems quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Frenzy

Thanks for that, had a look at DraftSight there and it does look pretty good. Yeah I'd be pretty worried about the support issues but employer's don't really get that, they just see the price difference. We're gonna keep running with this trial version and then make the switch in a few weeks but keep the CAD 2008 lt as backup

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CADUser

Hi, we use ZWCAD for drafting work and it's proved a cost-effective alternative to AutoCAD. The user interface is very AutoCAD-like so quick to pick up. In fact the latest version (ZWCAD+ 2012) has a ribbon interface too. We bought our licenses from EDA Systems (info@EDASystems.co.uk) who also provide support in the UK and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Frenzy wrote: »
    Yeah I'd be pretty worried about the support issues but employer's don't really get that, they just see the price difference.

They'll be paying through the nose (idle staff costs, missed deadlines, loss of customers etc.) if you get a support issue you can't sort out yourself!

In my case the support (for SolidWorks in our case) is really an insurance policy should the worst happen - reliable access to the design files is worth much more than the subscription. Day-to-day issues are usually solved on user forums. If you're going for a free or cheap solution I'd make sure there's enough users to support these.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭shane6977

CADUser wrote: »
    Hi, we use ZWCAD for drafting work and it's proved a cost-effective alternative to AutoCAD. The user interface is very AutoCAD-like so quick to pick up. In fact the latest version (ZWCAD+ 2012) has a ribbon interface too. We bought our licenses from EDA Systems (info@EDASystems.co.uk) who also provide support in the UK and Ireland.

CADuser,as a matter of interest, could you post a screenshot of the ZWCAD interface. Had a look on the eda systems website but they don't show any screenshots. Would like to see how it compares to the autocad interface.

How have you found the compatibility with AutoCAD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 CADUser

Couple of screenshots attached, one of ZWCAD 2012 and one of ZWCAD+ 2012.

As for compatibility with AutoCAD, no problems to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭shane6977

Thanks for those....looks almost exactly like AutoCAD in some instances...

Advertisement