Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Behold the Mountains of Mars!

• 12-08-2012 4:05am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Here are some stunning new images from the surface of Mars taken by the newly landed Curiosity rover.

The mountains in the distance are actually the rim of a giant crater, Gale and are about 3,500 metres (12,000 feet) high.

0003ML0000010000E1_DXXX.jpg

0003ML0000038000E1_DXXX.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

A lot of smog in the area.
    Martian industries must be going full speed.

Red somewhere that the camera sends back 4mb pictures. That seems very small. Was expecting high res images. Too much data to send back?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I think the gmail limit is 25mb. They could be still using an old esatclear account

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Rabies wrote: »
    A lot of smog in the area.
    Martian industries must be going full speed.

that bastard Coehagen controls the clean air, once they start the reactor it should clean things right up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Great pics OP and with Curiosity being the mother of all rovers, there is going to be so much more amazing stuff to come.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Great pics OP and with Curiosity being the mother of all rovers, there is going to be so much more amazing stuff to come.

Thanks! And watch this space because the best is yet to come.

Curiosity still has to return a full colour panorama of its landing site in full colour including the 5,000 metre Mount Sharp - the main target of its mission.

Those images are just a taste of what's to come.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

there is going to be so much more amazing stuff to come.

Like what?

Can you give a list because right now and for the forseeable future all I see coming our way are rocks and sand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

books4sale wrote: »
    Like what?

Can you give a list because right now and for the forseeable future all I see coming our way are rocks and sand.

*Crosses fingers for three titted hooker*

mikom wrote: »

:D Thanks for the laugh man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

LOL, made me laugh so hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Like what?

Hey you have a lot to thank NASA for and i bet a lot of these products and solutions weren't first thought of in design
    1. SATELLITE TELEVISION: Our world would not be the same without the satellites now in orbit around the Earth – all thanks to the space programme. They not only give us satellite broadcast television and radio but also power telecommunications including mobile phones and terrestrial TV networks.

2. SAT NAV: The global positioning system on which our in-car navigation systems are based was developed by the US Department of Defense. They would not exist without the space satellites.

3. GOOGLE EARTH: Mapping was never as accurate as the images we can now get thanks to satellites which from space can even see a dog in your back garden.

4. VIRTUAL REALITY: Nasa-developed research and advanced technology devices allow users to project themselves into a computer-generated environment. When coupled with a stereo-viewing device and appropriate software, it creates a feeling of actually being there.

5. ARTIFICIAL LIMBS: Prosthetic limbs are not new but advancements in space robotics are being adapted to create more lifelike, functioning limbs.

6. DIALYSIS: Modern machines to do the work of the kidneys – for patients waiting for or unable to have transplants – were developed as a result of a Nasa-developed chemical process.

7. MRI AND CAT SCANS: Nasa did not invent magnetic resonance imaging but it has contributed to major advances thanks to research into computer enhancement of pictures sent from the moon. Digital image processing has led to enhanced images of human organs.

8. BREAST CANCER SCREENING: A silicon chip originally developed for Nasa’s Hubble Space Telescope makes the testing process less painful, less scarring and less expensive than traditional biopsy methods.

9. ULTRASOUND TO ASSESS SKIN DAMAGE: An advanced instrument uses ultrasound technology to assess the depth of burn damage immediately, improving patient treatment and saving lives in serious burn cases.
    10. EAR THERMOMETER: Removing the need to use intrusive, mercury-based thermometers on newborn babies and critically ill patients, the ear thermometer uses infrared astronomy technology to measure the amount of energy emitted by the eardrum. This is how Nasa measures the temperature of stars and planets.

11. ATTENTION GETTER: Techniques used to measure brain activity in Nasa pilots are being used to improve attention spans for children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.

mpu

12. ROAD SAFETY: The cutting of grooves in concrete to increase traction was developed to reduce space shuttle accidents on runways. It is now applied to roads and has cut US traffic accidents by 85 per cent.

13. IMPROVED RADIAL TYRES: Goodyear developed a fibrous material five times stronger than steel for Nasa to use in parachutes to land the Viking explorers on Mars. They expanded the technology to produce a harder-wearing radial car tyre.

14. LANDMINE REMOVAL: Surplus rocket fuel is used for a flare that can burn a hole in the case of a mine and burn away its explosive content.

15. STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS: Nasa software engineers have created thousands of computer programs to find imperfections in aerospace structures and components which has proved invaluable in air safety.

16. WATER FILTERS: Water-cleaning technology has existed since the early Fifties but Nasa came up with ways to filter it in more extreme situations. The activated charcoal with silver ions used in commercial filter systems cleans the water and kills bacteria.

17. FREEZE-DRIED FOOD: Nasa carried out extensive research to reduce the weight of food to be carried on missions. The result was a method for cooking food, freezing it quickly, then slowly heating it in a vacuum chamber to remove the ice crystals. The end product weighs one fifth of the original, while retaining 98 per cent of its nutrition.

18. TEMPER FOAM: Nasa developed a soft, high-energy-absorbent padding to improve crash protection in aircraft. Now “memory foam” is used in mattresses, pillows, military and civilian vehicles, sports safety equipment, amusement park rides, furniture and artificial limbs.

19. SCRATCH-RESISTANT LENSES: A modified version of a process developed by Nasa involves coating the lenses with a film of carbon that helps avoid scratches and decreases friction and reduces water spots.

20. RIBBED SWIMSUITS: The swimsuit worn by Olympic sensation Michael Phelps was developed with Nasa technology. Aerodynamic research came up with material which give 15 per cent faster speeds than any other swimsuit thanks to small, barely visible grooves that reduce friction and drag.

21. AERODYNAMIC GOLF BALLS: Technology is behind the design of golf balls with 500 dimples in a pattern of 60 triangles which allows the ball to maintain its initial speed longer and produce a more stable flight for better accuracy and distance.

22. ATHLETIC SHOES: Moon-boot material has been incorporated into running shoe midsoles to improve shock absorption and provide better stability and motion control.

23. PERSONAL ALARM SYSTEMS: A pen-sized ultrasonic transmitter used by prison guards, teachers, the elderly and disabled to call for help is based on space technology.

24. SPACE PENS: Most pens depend on gravity to make the ink flow to the ballpoint. The space pen was developed for the gravity-free space environment so that the ink cartridge contains pressurised gas to push the ink towards the ballpoint, so you can write upside down.

25. CORDLESS POWER TOOLS: The household and DIY products firm Black & Decker came up with a portable drill capable of extracting core samples from below the lunar surface during the Apollo missions. The same technology has been used on cordless miniature vacuum cleaners.

They keep an up to date blog here
    http://spinoff.nasa.gov/spinoff/spinsearch?BOOL=AND&ALLFIELDS=&CENTER=&BOOLM=AND&MANUFACT=&STATE=&CATEGORY=&ISSUE=&Spinsort=ISSUED

everything from 76 is there

oh and a new mars pic

all these little pebbles are on mars!

0003ML0000125000E1_DXXX.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Like what?

I certainly could give you a list, but if the stupidity of that post is anything to go by, then I have no doubt it would be a complete waste of time.

Have they found any men there yet? Since that's where we're seemingly from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Like what?

I certainly could give you a list, but if the stupidity of that post is anything to go by, then I have no doubt it would be a complete waste of time.

Because the list is rocks, sand and mountains.

Some people arent as excited as others about landing rovers on Mars. I'm indifferent to the whole thing. The list above about tech that have come from NASA. The reply to that could be the medical advances that where made from digging up fresh graves. These advances sometimes have shady pasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

danniemcq wrote: »
    Hey you have a lot to thank NASA for and i bet a lot of these products and solutions weren't first thought of in design

24. SPACE PENS: Most pens depend on gravity to make the ink flow to the ballpoint. The space pen was developed for the gravity-free space environment so that the ink cartridge contains pressurised gas to push the ink towards the ballpoint, so you can write upside down.

I think the Russians used pencils.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Fracture wrote: »
    LOL, made me laugh so hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I think the Russians used pencils.

both Americans and Russians used pencils in the early days.

However if you were writing with a pencil and the point broke it would be floating around and possibly short a circuit. or float into someones eyes.

The space pen actually came about after a guy decided to make them for NASA at a cost of over a million quid and then sold 400 test ones to NASA just to see what they thought
    NASA never approached Paul Fisher to develop a pen, nor did Fisher receive any government funding for the pen's development.[2] Fisher invented it independently, and then asked NASA to try it.
    Fisher spent over one million dollars in trying to perfect the ball point pen before he made his first successful pressurized pens in 1965. Samples were immediately sent to <NOBR>Dr. Robert</NOBR> Gilruth, Manager of the Houston Space Center, where they were thoroughly tested and approved for use in Space in September 1965. In December 1967 he sold 400 Fisher Space Pens to NASA for $2.95 each.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Pen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

<snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

Nabber wrote: »
    Because the list is rocks, sand and mountains

You obviously could have saved NASA billions. Since you seem to already know the answers to the Curiosity mission. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Last edited by Frada; Yesterday at 23:36. Reason: No boobs please

:(

Quit with the snide little remarks man, you're most certainly not above anyone here as regards intellect.

How the hell can anyone give me a list (including you) when we don't even know what's going to be discovered but you probably missed the point of my post, let's see that list of 'amazing stuff' then?

In this world there are two types of people, those who question and those who blindly follow. I can tell you that the latter are the types who don't work for NASA just like you.

• Advertisement

Hey, i'm not doubting the benefits of the space programme and the use of new technology to our daily lives, I worked for a over 10 years in a technical design field so I understand. I was blown away by the procedure of landing this rover ...very cool!

I'm just disputing these claims that we are going to find 'amazing stuff' on Mars besides rocks, sand, gases and chemical compounds.

Some posters claiming they can already provide us with these details of what will be discovered one week into the expedition ... bloody ridiculous!

Nice shot by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,199 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Little bit of bitching and sniping going on in this thread. Knock it off. Discuss things civilly or not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

I don't care if the photos are of rocks, sand, dust and whatever - I still love looking at images that are taken on another bloody planet!. Don't see the point in posting in this thread just to put a dampener on that - but I suppose some people get a kick out of it.

Keep the photos of rocks and sand coming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'm just disputing these claims that we are going to find 'amazing stuff' on Mars besides rocks, sand, gases and chemical compounds.

One mans trash is another mans treasure. You may not find rocks, sand, gases & chemical compounds as amazing...but to many, they certainly may prove that.

I'd rather the money go to the likes of this than it being spent on newer ingenious ways of killing people, the US War Machine budget exponentially dwarfs any science budget...but maybe some people find that amazing? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

oh and a new mars pic

all these little pebbles are on mars!

That's a fantastic picture......

• Registered Users Posts: 51,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Delphi91 wrote: »
    That's a fantastic picture......

What's causing the shadow? Is it natural sunlight or artificial light?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

tumblr_m8m113gZzw1rrrq38o1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

What's causing the shadow? Is it natural sunlight or artificial light?

Natural, I presume.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Sure the weather forecast is great there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

these color pictures are amazing, the place looks just like a massive earth desert, hope i get to see humans on mars in my lifetime

Advertisement