Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tactical Vest Thread

• 09-08-2012 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Hally_89

Similar to the Helmet topic I started this thread is for vests. Just stick up pictures of the vests you use for airsoft or vests that you might collect.

My first vest is a Genuine US Army Issue IOTV vest which is currently in use. Took alot of time and searching to get this and its not all there yet. I have a Genuine set of Specialty Defense(Maker of IOTV vest) pouches on the way from the states.

Specs:
    -Genuine USGI Drop-Down groin protector
    -Genuine USGI Drop-Down lower back protector
    -Genuine USGI neck protecter front & back
    -Genuine USGI US ARMY tape
    -Genuine USGI Sergeant First Class rank marking
    -Genuine Name tape with my name printed on it
    -Genuine Surefire Molle Mount with Genuine Surefire attached.

img0297eg.jpg
    img0295zb.jpg
    img0294ru.jpg
    img0296qk.jpg

My second is a Replica US special forces RAV vest. This is actually a very good replica when placed beside the IOTV. IS has a good weight and alos has a similar wire system that runs throught the real vest. This is currently for sale on here and adverts. RAV Vest for Sale

1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e263369b41934b2b2a19402100d2cf04efb834.jpg

Lets see what everyone else has.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

Sure why not:

UK Tactical Crye Precision Multicam Warrior Raptor plate carrier
    This cost me a stupid amount of money to put together.
    Attachments:
    6 x closed mag pouch
    1 x triple open/bungee mag pouch (lhs)
    1 x admin pouch
    1 x radio pouch (back)
    1 x hydration pouch (back)
    1 x medium utility pouch (rhs)

scaled.php?server=217&filename=007aho.jpg&res=landing
    Front

scaled.php?server=109&filename=005emo.jpg&res=landing
    Back

1 x very broke bloke when I finally added up the cost

The worst part is that I have used it twice. Bought and put it together for my first TA game in Sennybridge last year - but after using it in two test games I realised that plate carriers are just not for me - you lose the ability to bend as easily. Switched to a belt rig/suspender set-up and I can carry the same amount of kit but it's a few kg lighter ... and ... I can climb under those bloody half doors at Senny a little easier!

Vest now gathering dust...

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Hally_89

There a nice vest mate. Was thinking of doing one before i got my hands on the IOTV so it will have to wait until i have money again. The IOTV is another vest thats awkward to bend with especially something simple like picking something off the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Sure why not:

UK Tactical Crye Precision Multicam Warrior Raptor plate carrier
    This cost me a stupid amount of money to put together.
    Attachments:
    6 x closed mag pouch
    1 x triple open/bungee mag pouch (lhs)
    1 x admin pouch
    1 x radio pouch (back)
    1 x hydration pouch (back)
    1 x medium utility pouch (rhs)

1 x very broke bloke when I finally added up the cost

The worst part is that I have used it twice. Bought and put it together for my first TA game in Sennybridge last year - but after using it in two test games I realised that plate carriers are just not for me - you lose the ability to bend as easily. Switched to a belt rig/suspender set-up and I can carry the same amount of kit but it's a few kg lighter ... and ... I can climb under those bloody half doors at Senny a little easier!

Vest now gathering dust...

Nice Vest. Do you mind me asking for a ball park figure of cost to put something like that together? as I would very much like something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Do we really need individual and separate threads for each and every category of gear? I thought thats that the discussion / no discussion photos of your AIRSOFT GEAR threads were already for?

So now we have ....

Photos of your gear (no discussion)
    Photos of your gear (discussion)
    Your tactical vest thread
    Your tactical helmet thread

Where does it end? Your mags thread, your gloves thread, your boots thread.

hightower1 wrote: »
    Do we really need individual and separate threads for each and every category of gear? I thought thats that the discussion / no discussion photos of your AIRSOFT GEAR threads were already for?

So now we have ....

Photos of your gear (no discussion)
    Photos of your gear (discussion)
    Your tactical vest thread
    Your tactical helmet thread

Where does it end? Your mags thread, your gloves thread, your boots thread.

If you have nothing better to do than make stupid remarks dont bother posting on the topic. Maybe i will set up one for boots, gloves and mags. The 2 seperate topics were set up because they are the 2 main pieces of equipment outside of a gun on anyones gear.

• Advertisement

Hally_89 wrote: »
    If you have nothing better to do than make stupid remarks dont bother posting on the topic. Maybe i will set up one for boots, gloves and mags. The 2 separate topics were set up because they are the 2 main pieces of equipment outside of a gun on anyones gear.

Mate Im not attacking you personally (so Ill ignore your attack on me) I just dont think creating additional threads for individual items of equipment simply isnt needed considering we already have 2 threads for both pictures and discussion of equipment here already?

It adds a lot of clutter and may lead to confusion for any new comers as to where to post. Its really an invitation for unintentional double posting. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

If you have nothing better to do than make stupid remarks dont bother posting on the topic. Maybe i will set up one for boots, gloves and mags. The 2 seperate topics were set up because they are the 2 main pieces of equipment outside of a gun on anyones gear.

Honestly, it wasn't a stupid remark. He *did* raise a valid point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

From my point of view I do not really see it as a problem. If people like the thread it gets used them all well and good, people are interested. If it does not get used it dies and drops away.

People complain that no one uses the forum, when people become proactive and try and introduce new stuff and get people talking they get knocked back.

I will be honest that this type of thread is bread and butter in most airsoft forums i use, normally you will find threads of different types of aeg to equipment like this and they're normally the most active part of the forum.

Puding wrote: »
    From my point of view I do not really see it as a problem. If people like the thread it gets used them all well and good, people are interested. If it does not get used it dies and drops away.

People complain that no one uses the forum, when people become proactive and try and introduce new stuff and get people talking they get knocked back.

I will be honest that this type of thread is bread and butter in most airsoft forums i use, normally you will find threads of different types of aeg to equipment like this and they're normally the most active part of the forum.

That's my point though, its not trying something new its just going over ground we have already catered for under the airsoft equipment section. I get that the OP thinks his vests and helmets are something special and didn't want his pics getting somewhat lost in the extensive but already existing equipments section but that's not reason enough to try and start a whole two new threads for.

It's not like the title of the threads we already have established are unambiguous - airsoft equipment thread - I can't see how one looked at that title and though "no that's not appropriate for vests and helmets"

I get that if you have a very large airsoft community then perhaps a time comes when segregated threads for each category of equipment is viable but airsoft on boards is nowhere near that size

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭jayod30

I have to agree with Puding here, I don't see anything wrong with it whatsoever.

Other than aeg's, vests would be next in line as something I'm very interested in. The airsoft equipment section is pretty much dominated by aeg's, the loadout section dominted by people taking pics of themselves in mirrors or pics of them running around a site where you can't actually get a good look at the rig they're wearing. At least here its definitive, what you see is what you get, nothing more, nothing less.

Now can I suggest that this thread just be left alone for what it is, no more thread spoiling. If you don't like it, ignore it, but do not ruin it further than what you have done already.

• Advertisement

hightower1 wrote: »
    That's my point though, its not trying something new its just going over ground we have already catered for under the airsoft equipment section. I get that the OP thinks his vests and helmets are something special and didn't want his pics getting somewhat lost in the extensive but already existing equipments section but that's not reason enough to try and start a whole two new threads for.

It's not like the title of the threads we already have established are unambiguous - airsoft equipment thread - I can't see how one looked at that title and though "no that's not appropriate for vests and helmets"

I get that if you have a very large airsoft community then perhaps a time comes when segregated threads for each category of equipment is viable but airsoft on boards is nowhere near that size

I will honest say I can see where you're coming from, but as I say I do not really see the problem, you either use it or not.

Take Arnies for examples, I think you have about 5 places to post equipment related to Russian impressions. Yes you do get repeat items in them but the point is to provide collections of a specific item in threads. It is also great at generating discussion and exposing people to different areas.

As I say use it do not use it simple as in my eyes, I find lots of threads on boards and other forums pointless, but that is just me, I keep an eye on threads I'm interested in and ignore the others.

If you have an issue with the thread just report it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭ Donald Icy Chrysalis

Were not trying to save ink here lads. There is also the issue of being polite to the OP. There are people of all ages and interests on the forum (and all boards forums) what you find worthy of its own thread and what others find worthy may differ, nobody is holding a GBB pistol to anyones head to read them.

As stated if its unworthy is will fade away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Vests: I have the wrrior vest, a crye multicam vest, and they sit at home these days, in favour of a 20 quid bulle webbing vest with a few mag pouches and dumps. Can't beat utility :-)

http://www.flecktarn.co.uk/odtmb6nx.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Ah boards.ie Airsoft, never failing! A simple thread about vests and post #5 is already off-topic and questioning the legitimacy of the thread. if you're worried about all the precious kilobytes the thread and subsequent posts take up, please don't post <Snip>

I bought this vest from ebairsoft about two years ago, and I've used it every game since but recently I've adopted a more streamlined build and playstyle as I don't use three mags, let alone the eight I used to carry. Going to buy myself a nice chestrig (Like gerrowadat's that he linked above)

6094%20Plate%20Carrier%20w%20pouches%20bk%20a.jpg

@MagicIRL Ive ordered a full set of dummy strike plates like the ones in your last pic. Are they flimsy or are they pretty rigid? I just want to get the full effect of the IOTV with a full rig and I cant get the real strike plates so had to opt for the dummys.

The dummy strike plates are normally hollow plastic, the only other ones are made of semi rigid foam and I try and stay clear of them as you heat up to much.

Puding wrote: »
    The dummy strike plates are normally hollow plastic, the only other ones are made of semi rigid foam and I try and stay clear of them as you heat up to much.

Ya the ones ive ordered are the plastic ones. Heres the link

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/130726323230?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_3484wt_910

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Ah boards.ie Airsoft, never failing! A simple thread about vests and post #5 is already off-topic and questioning the legitimacy of the thread. if you're worried about all the precious kilobytes the thread and subsequent posts take up, please don't post <Snip>

I bought this vest from ebairsoft about two years ago, and I've used it every game since but recently I've adopted a more streamlined build and playstyle as I don't use three mags, let alone the eight I used to carry. Going to buy myself a nice chestrig (Like gerrowadat's that he linked above)

6094%20Plate%20Carrier%20w%20pouches%20bk%20a.jpg

Abusing other poster is frowned upon. If you don't like the post Report it

Infraction issued

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭[AK47][JONNYNEW

this is what i use,
    Love it.

Modded a drop leg holster into a moll holster, and works quite well.

1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

@MagicIRL Ive ordered a full set of dummy strike plates like the ones in your last pic. Are they flimsy or are they pretty rigid? I just want to get the full effect of the IOTV with a full rig and I cant get the real strike plates so had to opt for the dummys.

Jesus, can't say anything on this damn forum anymore, not while Doggyboy is up on his high horse there. For the record, it was more a stab at the whole de-railing of the thread as opposed to an attack on any poster. I didn't even mention names.

They're rigid within reason. If you squeeze them they'll bend in, but return to shape afterward. They do indeed, as Puding said, cause you to heat up but in Ireland I've not found that to be a big issue, even an enjoyable con in the Winter months!

As for making them more realistic, you could add in some self expanding spray foam which would toughen them up (And I've spoken to a player on site who did this to his plates and found them very rigid and added plenty of weight to them!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Jesus, can't say anything on this damn forum anymore, not while Doggyboy is up on his high horse there. For the record, it was more a stab at the whole de-railing of the thread as opposed to an attack on any poster. I didn't even mention names.

They're rigid within reason. If you squeeze them they'll bend in, but return to shape afterward. They do indeed, as Puding said, cause you to heat up but in Ireland I've not found that to be a big issue, even an enjoyable con in the Winter months!

As for making them more realistic, you could add in some self expanding spray foam which would toughen them up (And I've spoken to a player on site who did this to his plates and found them very rigid and added plenty of weight to them!)

Like I said in the other post, use the report button.

Your rant above gets you a 1 month ban

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭LAPUA

I really don't see a problem here. But I use the same vest as Magic. Stellar piece of equipment and looks the part. I was unfortunate with a small tear in the velcro patch but a patch job saw to that. And it came with more pouches[/I] than needed, which is always a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭SOCOM

Similar to the Helmet topic I started this thread is for vests. Just stick up pictures of the vests you use for airsoft or vests that you might collect.

My first vest is a Genuine US Army Issue IOTV vest which is currently in use. Took alot of time and searching to get this and its not all there yet. I have a Genuine set of Specialty Defense(Maker of IOTV vest) pouches on the way from the states.

Specs:
    -Genuine USGI Drop-Down groin protector
    -Genuine USGI Drop-Down lower back protector
    -Genuine USGI neck protecter front & back
    -Genuine USGI US ARMY tape
    -Genuine USGI Sergeant First Class rank marking
    -Genuine Name tape with my name printed on it
    -Genuine Surefire Molle Mount with Genuine Surefire attached.

img0297eg.jpg
    img0295zb.jpg
    img0294ru.jpg
    img0296qk.jpg

My second is a Replica US special forces RAV vest. This is actually a very good replica when placed beside the IOTV. IS has a good weight and alos has a similar wire system that runs throught the real vest. This is currently for sale on here and adverts. RAV Vest for Sale

1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e263369b41934b2b2a19402100d2cf04efb834.jpg

Lets see what everyone else has.

If you ever consider selling the iotv let me know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I've never used a plate-carrier; always either belt-order or vest.

Started with an el-cheapo copy of one of a Guarder SOG CQB vest from eHobbyAsia, before getting the genuine article which allowed for some custom configuration. Still have it.

But I mainly use a Warrior PLB belt & harness & just swap out whatever I need.

I also have real-deal '56 pattern webbing for my Vietnam airsoft loadout.

Advertisement