Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Retro gaming- Come back?

• 09-08-2012 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I'm doing some research into retro gaming.

has it made a come back in recent years? or did those games and consoles ever go away?

... i'm looking to find out if theres any retro gaming clubs/events/or tournaments in Ireland....and is there much of a demand to buy up those consoles/games

Any help would be brilliant..

:pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Come back? Sure it never went away :)

When the PS1 was current, the Snes was retro.
    When the PS2 was current, the PS1 was retro.
    The PS3 is current, the PS2 is retro.

You can guess what happens next ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

RealtoReel wrote: »
    I'm doing some research into retro gaming.

has it made a come back in recent years? or did those games and consoles ever go away?

... i'm looking to find out if theres any retro gaming clubs/events/or tournaments in Ireland....and is there much of a demand to buy up those consoles/games

Any help would be brilliant..

:pac:

Retro gaming clubs? Hmm. Dunno. Maybe collectors on Assembly Games forum or Amiga users have regular meet ups.

And as for demand, really the supply of retro hardware is abundant, with only some very specific exceptions that really are more of interest to collectors than retrogamers, due to emulation and other options to play retrogames.

Retro gaming is really kind of an umbrella term for a lot, almost any computer gaming from the 60s onwards up til the last gen of consoles, and all but the newest computer and arcade games can fall under it too. If this is research for a project I'd advise you to pick a specific focus, it'd make knowing who to talk to and what to ask about a lot easier for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

a5y wrote: »
    Retro gaming clubs? Hmm. Dunno. Maybe collectors on Assembly Games forum or Amiga users have regular meet ups.

Collectors and retro gaming fans here also have meet ups

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

EnterNow wrote: »
    Come back? Sure it never went away :)

When the PS1 was current, the Snes was retro.
    When the PS2 was current, the PS1 was retro.
    The PS3 is current, the PS2 is retro.

You can guess what happens next ;)

The PS2 has yet to be deemed "Retro"!
    It still feels too current in my opinion.

I said it before but I think a retro console/gaming is more down to a different time in your life to the one you are experiencing now, and the games and consoles are reminders of these happy times. Memories are intertwined with the hardware and software both, the experience a mix of the two.
    The is why emulation tends to be so unsatisfying, as well as reflecting the now ready access to all those games you had to struggle to afford then.

To be sure, to some whose first console was a PS2, it will seem retro now, especially if there has been a lifestyle change in the interim, memories of games enjoyed in some lost youth, nostalgia peaking the emotions, and so on.

For some, the draw is, bizarrely, to consoles we couldn't have owned the first time, not I as I am 40!
    But there are those, those who are mere striplings at 20 who weren't even born in the Megadrives heyday, and whose parents were likely in short trousers when the Atari 2600 was new.
    To these people there is a draw to older games, probably a similar draw for some folk to vintage movies.
    The experience is rich and, more importantly, different to the games output of now.
    There is also the part escapism of videogames tempered with the more cerebral pursuit of retrogames as a hobby, the collecting of gaming obscurities and classics as a valuable activity in itself.

This is why it is cool to have ISS Pro for the Snes but not to have Fifa 96. The former is an example of great Japanese development, creating a soccer game of character, making the best use of the hardware, preferring to focus on gameplay instead of a license.
    The latter, Fifa 96, is a massive license cash in, and a poorer game for it.
    Only in recent years has the Fifa franchise overtaken ISS' successor Pro Evo in the soccer game stakes.

But these reflect the difference between a great game and a game, one to collect and one with little more value than any of the other identikit games in the same genre on countless different formats, with a common theme of unexceptional gameplay and predictable visuals at it's heart.

So, retro gamers pick up the games with meaning to them, the good stuff, the gold.
    This gold may differ for individuals, some think this or that is gaming perfection, others may vehemently disagree, Mario World Vs Sonic 2, or more controversially Super Mario World Vs Super Mario Bros 3!
    And this is part of the fun, making all collections individual.

Speaking of collections, all retro collections are valid and worth taking pride in, be you a collector of Shmups, Gameboy games, a bit of everything, whatever, the collections constituents say a lot about your gaming taste, and that's always cool, be it games and consoles that are green and feature frogs, male dating sims or Darius fans.

So, that's my opinion on Retrogaming, not sure if this helps answer the OP but, hey, we all like a chance to mouth off!

Oh, and one last thing, I really don't think we consider ourselves particularly "retro gamers", not with each other (unless it's your username!), we see each other as gamers, see ourselves as gamers without frontiers, not disregarding any good game as unworthy to play regardless of when it was published.
    We find ourselves using the "retro" prefix when describing ourselves to other parties, to regular gamers, casual ones, Sony/Ninty/MS fanboys, those who play little other than MMORPGs, those that spend their time camping and sniping noobs from a mile out. Now I think of it, they are the ones that require the prefix, a retro gamer is a true gamer!

Hardcore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 RealtoReel

Any leagues going on?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Maybe we all have some issues to deal with, that we are so unhappy with out modern\current lives, paying mortgages\bills listening to Girlfriends\wifes\partners\children moaning.. repeating the same boring day in work over and over until we die.. maybe we long for a time when things where simpler and happier by trying to re-live our youth via retro games consoles.

Or maybe we where just awesome gaming nerds before society decided it was cool to be one. :cool:

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The PS2 has yet to be deemed "Retro"!
    It still feels too current in my opinion.

Nah I think at this stage I'm happy enough to call the PS2 retro. It's at the forefront of retro gaming, but I think its definitely there

• Registered Users Posts: 34,392 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

keithgeo wrote: »
    Maybe we all have some issues to deal with, that we are so unhappy with out modern\current lives, paying mortgages\bills listening to Girlfriends\wifes\partners\children moaning.. repeating the same boring day in work over and over until we die.. maybe we long for a time when things where simpler and happier by trying to re-live our youth via retro games consoles.

Or maybe we where just awesome gaming nerds before society decided it was cool to be one. :cool:

When I've had a stressful day in work, there's nothing better than unwinding with a game I know and love.

It sends me to a happy place!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RealtoReel wrote: »
    Any leagues going on?

Anyone that I know that is into their old games has hardly been the competitive type. I find that if you play a game competitively and take it seriously it ends up not being fun. Also you have to dedicate yourself to that game meaning no time for any off the hundreds of games you've amassed. I don't want to speak for everyone but the games I collect I play for fun, not because I want to impress some one and let's face you're not impressing anyone with your old school gaming skills.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I went to a few of the xbox lan competitions a few years back when i posted over on celticsnipers.com . it was good craic, but some of the lads where uber nerds. we used to win nearly everything in fairness but the lads playing halo where unreal. One team had every map divided out into sections and would batter everyone. they would be shouting out shields half down in section red4! while we all p*sssed ourselves laughing getting killed haha..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

What about the epic Dinorex tourneys that were fixtures in A&R beers up to recently?
    They were serious affairs, battles with ole screechy!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,392 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    and let's face you're not impressing anyone with your old school gaming skills.

That beers, remember the one where Enternow kicked the ****e out of you all with his Street Fighter skills?

That was pretty impressive :pac:

o1s1n wrote: »
    That beers, remember the one where Enternow kicked the ****e out of you all with his Street Fighter skills?

I'll always remember that night, not because of SF4, but because that's the first night I heard Dinorex playing in the background. I remember gaming or talking to someone & saying to myself after a few minutes "what in the holy name of fukc is that noise?!", turned around & seen Dinorex in all its glory {or lack thereof} :D

I'll always remember that night, not because of SF4, but because that's the first night I heard Dinorex playing in the background. I remember gaming or talking to someone & saying to myself after a few minutes "what in the holy name of fukc is that noise?!", turned around & seen Dinorex in all its glory {or lack thereof} :D

That'd be this....

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That'd be this....

*shudders

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

o1s1n wrote: »

Sounds like Enternow needs to pick on someone his own size.

:p

Tangentally, I guess the SF community is the nearest thing to a retro gaming league currently in existence, there is a respect- in some cases I would say reverence- for the older games in the genre, especially Super Street Fighter 2 turbo, Vampire Saviour and Street Fighter 3: Third Strike (CPS3 led to some really yummy animation) and being good at these games holds some weight. Less than a year ago I made a tutorial for Remy in 3S and it's one of my most popular vids on youtube.

That said, the primary games tend to be the newest ones of the genre.

Sounds like Enternow needs to pick on someone his own size.

:p

I couldn't help it, its not my fault :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I couldn't help it, its not my fault :D

First to 10, lets go :D

First to 10, lets go :D

Round..1...Fi...

*enternow runs out nearest door

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Prankzter

u know what i miss about gaming? being in the same room as the people ur playing with be it killing each other split screen on golden eye 64 and yelling at each other when u get owned or teaming up together in double dragon on atari, games seem to lack that appeal these days...or maybe im just getting to old (28). retro gaming seems to be more popular over here in australia no more then before with all these so called collectors grabbing everything they can and not showing the consoles the love and respect they deserve...i collect but i also play the consoles i do get...nothing beats the classic boy and is blob on NES it swear its still one of the hardest games to beat lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement