Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Channel 4 Dispatches Britain's High Street Gamble

Options
  • 07-08-2012 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Interesting show last night- Britain's High Street Gamble on Channel Four
    Full Dispatches show available-
    link

Cheers,
    Pa.

p.s. I know this isn't gambling but thought this is the right forum to put it into as it's of interest to people

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Johnny Cage

Interesting doc, I just don't get why so many people play those machines when they should know that they have no edge and are guaranteed to lose in the long term.
    I think blaming the bookies is a bit of a copout, people need to take responsibility for their actions. It's not like they are being forced to play the machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Headspace

Iwhen they should know that they have no edge and are guaranteed to lose in the long term.

I think if they knew this I don't think they wouldn't play, it amazes me too.

Headspace wrote: »
    I think if they knew this I don't think they wouldn't play, it amazes me too.

Yeah true most prob do know but choose to avoid logic and play anyway, Honestly it just amazes me how illogical people are.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Headspace

Just watched the doc really well made, excellent viewing.

Those bookies are scoundrels, was made aware of this first when I heard they close winning accounts. Then I figured out how hard it is to beat their edge.

COMPLETE PREDATORS

Headspace wrote: »
    Just watched the doc really well made, excellent viewing.

Those bookies are scoundrels, was made aware of this first when I heard they close winning accounts. Then I figured out how hard it is to beat their edge.

COMPLETE PREDATORS

Basically yeah, just looking for fresh mugs and limit anyone who they identify as a winner. Still tho people aren't being forced to bet with them. Plenty of mugs to keep them in business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭flanno_7hi

Interesting doc, I just don't get why so many people play those machines when they should know that they have no edge and are guaranteed to lose in the long term.
    I think blaming the bookies is a bit of a copout, people need to take responsibility for their actions. It's not like they are being forced to play the machines.
    After moving to england i was in Ladbrokes. Had a bet on the celts in Europe and didn't realise it was already in running when i placed the bet (**** odds) anyway when i collected my winnings got about 16quid. thought to myself i'll try one of those machines. stuck it on roulette. Long story short thought i would leave an hour later when i was up at 2k (my biggest gambling win by 1500 quid).
    Beginners luck. should have seen the faces on the old lads when they lads in the shop shut down the other machines to take cash out of them as they hadn't enough in the till.

I haven't played them much as i prefer betting where i feel i have some knowledge not rolling a virtual dice. I can see how people get addicted to them though.

BTW walking through burnley on the way back to my car with 2k cash in my pocket was a bit worrying to say the least.

Advertisement