Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chargers Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Have to remember the OL will change with the cuts made form other teams too.
    Very early days, a lot of talk of Baxter making the team which I cant see, I dont know if Hester is going to make it.

Im sure pre season games will tell a lot.

I don't think picking up OL after cuts is a good idea, the effectiveness of them comes from playing as a unit. I still hope an experienced CB can be picked up though.

A quick breakdown of Harris here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Not a good idea, but im sure it will happen.
    Cant see us hold 5 tailbacks with the talk of us also keep four TEs

Reyes was taking first team snaps and did well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Ravens did not make an offer to JJ

Just too many players coming off rookie deals and had to be re-signed, no cap room left

He wasn't released over performance, everyone was sad to see JJ go

Chargers were 20th in the league for rush defense with an average of 122.2 yds rushing per game

Expect an improvement and some AFC West oppononts to get clattered!

**** me what a hit!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

OAOB wrote: »
    Was Bryant on the PS last year? Don't remember him but hopefully he turns out as good as converting Dielman did.

Another Tackle to be added to the 8 you listed and I'd imagine that will be OL. Hope Harris is as good as Acee was implying because as it stands an injury to Gaither or Clary will be a disaster for us

Yes, came in as an UDFA as a DT. Saw him some in the preseason, and had no impact. Then I heard they were going to try and convert him to an OT. He's huge but that's about all I know. The roster on chargers.com still shows him as a DT though.

Not a good idea, but im sure it will happen.
    Cant see us hold 5 tailbacks with the talk of us also keep four TEs

Reyes was taking first team snaps and did well too.

You mean including full backs yes?

I can see us retaining Mathews, McClain, Brown, Battle and Hester. Hayes to PS, not sure if Baker makes it to the PS even. Brinkley I love but his time might be up.

I also see us holding Gates, Rosario and McMichael but Green to PS. Sperry is history.

• Advertisement

I don't think picking up OL after cuts is a good idea, the effectiveness of them comes from playing as a unit. I still hope an experienced CB can be picked up though.

A quick breakdown of Harris here

I agree. I am worried Jammer is done and we might see Gilchrist starting for him before long, that means we could end up with two second year players (Wright) when we goto nickel. We need an experienced backup corner who could start at nickel.

My guess at the 53man roster

QB – Rivers, Whitehurst (2)

RB – Matthews, McClain, Brown, Hester, Hayes (5)

OL – Gaither, Green, Hardwick, Vasquez, Clary, Molk, Hadnot, Schilling, Harris (9)

TE – Gates, McMichael, Rosario, Green (4)

WR – Meachem, Floyd, Royal, Brown (4)

DL – Martin, Thomas, Liuget, Franklin, Reyes, Garay, Cesaire (7)

OLB – Philips, Johnson, Ingram, Barnes, English (5)

ILB – Butler, Spikes, Mouton, Williams, Gachkar (5)

S- Weddle, Bigby, Stuckey, Taylor (4)

CB – Jammer, Cason, Wright, Gilchrist (4)

LS – Windt

P – Scifres

K – Kaeding

KR/PR – Parrish

Thoughts
    1. I put Hayes down as RB but it could have just as easily been Brinkley/Battle/Baker
    2. Parrish is in as KR/PR, I think Goodman could win this. Whoever gets the job will need to be able to step in as WR in case of injury.
    3. We might sacrifice Hayes/Cesaire for an extra CB or Special teams
    4. We will look to pick up an ILB from wavers, don’t know enough about Williams to know is he good enough.
    5. I have 10 LBs in the team, 1 is specifically a ST player. English needs a big camp and to produce on ST or he could be cut.
    6. Depth at WR has me worried as Floyd will get injured, L. Green might have to be used in an emergency situation.

Leslie91 wrote: »
    You mean including full backs yes?

I can see us retaining Mathews, McClain, Brown, Battle and Hester. Hayes to PS, not sure if Baker makes it to the PS even. Brinkley I love but his time might be up.

I also see us holding Gates, Rosario and McMichael but Green to PS. Sperry is history.

Do you think Green would clear wavers and get to the PS?

Do you think Green would clear wavers and get to the PS?

He might not, but he is not impressing as much as people thought in camp. We could hide him in preseason if there is a feeling he will come good and so get him safely to the PS.

Great post on 53 prediction, I'll put mine up later.

My guess at the 53man roster

QB – Rivers, Whitehurst (2)

RB – Matthews, McClain, Brown, Hester, Battle (5)

OL – Gaither, Green, Hardwick, Vasquez, Clary, Molk, Hadnot, Schilling, Henderson (9)

TE – Gates, McMichael, Rosario, Green (4)

WR – Meachem, Floyd, Royal, Brown, (4)

DL – Martin, Thomas, Liuget, Franklin, Reyes, Garay (6)

OLB – Philips, Johnson, Ingram, Barnes, English (5)

ILB – Butler, Spikes, Mouton, Williams, Gachkar (5)

S- Weddle, Bigby, Stuckey, Taylor (4)

CB – Jammer, Cason, Wright, Gilchrist (4)

LS – Windt

P – Scifres

K – Kaeding

KR/PR – Goodman&Parrish

My thoughts

1. Goodman/Parrish will make it as KRs but Parrish will play more WR, Cason and Royal esp will share PR duties
    2. I see Cesaire losing out if we go with just 6 D linemen
    3. Battle makes it for his STs play
    4. Hayes, Willie, Gatson, Hobbs and Harris to PS
    5. Brinkley if eligible might go back to PS else he loses out in a numbers game
    6. Heard Hank Bauer say Corey Lynch the S ex Bucs could make the team as a Sp teamer but I don't see it unless he beats out Stuckey. While Stuckey is young I'm really surprised he has not pushed to start thus far hence he could be a bit of a Spillman ie. never quite made it as D player, ST player for life.

• Advertisement

[My thoughts

1. Goodman/Parrish will make it as KRs but Parrish will play more WR, Cason and Royal esp will share PR duties
    2. I see Cesaire losing out if we go with just 6 D linemen
    3. Battle makes it for his STs play
    4. Hayes, Willie, Gatson, Hobbs and Harris to PS
    5. Brinkley if eligible might go back to PS else he loses out in a numbers game
    6. Heard Hank Bauer say Corey Lynch the S ex Bucs could make the team as a Sp teamer but I don't see it unless he beats out Stuckey. While Stuckey is young I'm really surprised he has not pushed to start thus far hence he could be a bit of a Spillman ie. never quite made it as D player, ST player for life.

I don't think we'll go with Hester and Battle, both would be looked as special team players who can help out at RB in an emergency, too similar to carry both.

Norv has seemed reluctant to use Cason as a returner if he's starting, doubt he'll change that.

Cesaire is definitely on the edge but he's meant to be a brilliant mentor for the younger players. If he gets cut he should be available to pick up later in the season if we suffer an injury, that is unless he ends up with the Panthers which seems a common trend:rolleyes:. It was interesting to hear that Spikes was hugely impressed with Cesaire when he joined last season, made me think maybe we weren't appreciating the guy enough

I think everyone would like to see Brinkley do well after getting shot and still coming back but I think he'll end up being cut, good player but just not good enough. Stuckey is a similar player, just can't take that last step and contend for a place, a full off season might help him along and a camp battle with Lynch will hopefully bring out the best in him.

I'm sure our predictions will change after a few preseason games, Daryl Gamble!!!:D

No way imo Green makes the PS. Even if he isn't doing too well.
    If he had excelled I think McMichael could have been let go.

That is why think Hester could be let go because he and Battle are very alike and we seem keen on Battle.

I think 4 at CB is short we probably go with 5 but that fifth will come from later on in the pre season.

We do usually go at 6 on the Dline so Cesaire Im sure is in trouble even though he is very well liked and is imo under appreciated.

I changed my mind and have Green now in my 53. I don't rate Hester at all. Far too slow. He only makes the team because the brass love him. If Battle is quicker (which I'm sure he is) and is at least as good on STs, he brings more in the running game I say Battle keeps a job before Hester if one of em has to go. At least if I was GM that would be my decision. If we cut Hester we could afford to keep someone like a Cesaire or 5th corner.

No way imo Green makes the PS. Even if he isn't doing too well.
    If he had excelled I think McMichael could have been let go.

That is why think Hester could be let go because he and Battle are very alike and we seem keen on Battle.

I think 4 at CB is short we probably go with 5 but that fifth will come from later on in the pre season.

We do usually go at 6 on the Dline so Cesaire Im sure is in trouble even though he is very well liked and is imo under appreciated.

I agree, Randy is on his last legs and for me does not offer enough. People talk about his pass blocking (which I'm sure Green is not good at yet) but I jsut don't see it. Thing is a player like Green was never drafted to block. I could see us keeping Taylor over Randy if it is a blocking TE we are looking for or using more of the FBs in that dept over the TEs.

Is Rosario a pass catching or run blocking TE?

I thought all along that we'd go with Hester on the squad but we really didn't make a huge effort to re-sign him where as we went after Battle. I think Battle will have to convincingly out play him because Hester was a team captain last year, that'll matter a lot

Is Rosario a pass catching or run blocking TE?

I thought all along that we'd go with Hester on the squad but we really didn't make a huge effort to re-sign him where as we went after Battle. I think Battle will have to convincingly out play him because Hester was a team captain last year, that'll matter a lot

Rosario is more a pass catcher than blocker.

I am hearing the same stuff re Hester ie. team captain, great locker room guy, a true 'football player'.

But for me at the end of the day it is who brings more on the field. In my opinion Battle, once immersed in the O and STs, will be bringing much more to the field. I hated to see Hester leading out Goodman on STs. More than often than not Goodman got to him before he got to an opposing player to block. There was a noticeable diff when Gilchrist started leading him out.

Just saw this (couldn't see it in July cos of the page view restriction).

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/jul/25/chargers-pre-training-camp-depth-chart/

Only 1 diff from the 53 I had selected, they have Spurlock over Parrish.

Just saw this (couldn't see it in July cos of the page view restriction).

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/jul/25/chargers-pre-training-camp-depth-chart/

Only 1 diff from the 53 I had selected, they have Spurlock over Parrish.

Good effort there. I'd still hope to pick up a few players during cuts but it doesn't look like a bad roster at the moment.

Was reading Gehlken say that Harris got beaten easily by our first team defence, i hope Henderson is doing better.

Would you think there's any chance of McNeil being brought back if Gaither doesn't start getting healthy? I'd doubt it happens but there can't be too many FA Tackles around if we have to look elsewhere

Good effort there. I'd still hope to pick up a few players during cuts but it doesn't look like a bad roster at the moment.

Was reading Gehlken say that Harris got beaten easily by our first team defence, i hope Henderson is doing better.

Would you think there's any chance of McNeil being brought back if Gaither doesn't start getting healthy? I'd doubt it happens but there can't be too many FA Tackles around if we have to look elsewhere

I think going back to Big Mc is a remote possibility. I think unfortunately the consensus he is done physically ie. cannot be counted on to remain standing for a period of time nevermind a number of games. Like you said there will be cuts and I can see us bringing in a vet corner and perhaps another vet Tackle. I see good ol Larry missed yesterdays practice at the Q too. What the F is it with this guy he can't have much left in terms of chances to prove he should be in the 53.

He has to be one of the most frustrating players ever to don the Bolts. I am growing so tired of him, cannot imagine how the paymasters must be feeling.

Yeah McNeil wasn't even playing at a high level last year so doubt we'd try bring him back, just starting to worry about Gaither now, not sure if its injury or attitude thats hindering him. Was let go by Baltimore because of his attitude

English is really annoying, never injury free. His contract is cheap this year which is the only reason he's still around. I actually think he could be effective if fit

• Advertisement

Nice article on Cesaire here, kind of repeats what we have been saying about a great locker room guy

Nice article on Cesaire here, kind of repeats what we have been saying about a great locker room guy

Yeah, no doubt about it he's a great guy. Probably more deserving of the money Castillo got overall. He's always been dependable, always brings 100% even if he is limited in terms of pure DT ability. Met him in London in 09, he's a great character there was plenty of slagging and messin going on.

Seems like Ingram and Reyes are ready to go. Acee said these two are most ready to contribute since Merriman.

Ingram in the one on one drill put Henderson on his back. He also covered a 20 yard pass down the field to Rosario, broke the pass up.

Harris did a great job on Ingram. Don't know if that is a positive for Harris or a worry for Henderson.

Reyes doing the same, running over the OL

Vincent Brown is doing fantastic and with Royal out could be pushed down to 4th on the roster.

Larry English back training, imo he be a massive boost if could stay fit.

Ronnie Brown also impressing a lot of people. Jackie Battle had some nice runs. Be surprised if we keep Hester at this rate.

Mouton is meant to be a nasty guy. I think he will replace Spikes before the end of the season.

Seems like Ingram and Reyes are ready to go. Acee said these two are most ready to contribute since Merriman.

Ingram in the one on one drill put Henderson on his back. He also covered a 20 yard pass down the field to Rosario, broke the pass up.

Harris did a great job on Ingram. Don't know if that is a positive for Harris or a worry for Henderson.

Reyes doing the same, running over the OL

Vincent Brown is doing fantastic and with Royal out could be pushed down to 4th on the roster.

Larry English back training, imo he be a massive boost if could stay fit.

Ronnie Brown also impressing a lot of people. Jackie Battle had some nice runs. Be surprised if we keep Hester at this rate.

Mouton is meant to be a nasty guy. I think he will replace Spikes before the end of the season.

Never thought I'd be hearing such great things about Vincent Brown this early in his career. What a player he could become. Best thing about last years lockout is the amount of time he got to practice with Philip. You can see the trust is there already, just like it's always been with Malcom for example. I reckon Mouton has a ways to go. What we might see is Spikes coming out more on 3rd down for someone like the Williams lad we got from KC. Butler might stay in a bit more on 3rd down. Mouton is a 1st and 2nd down player only at mo.

Would like to see the back of Hester but he'll still make the team I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Pats seem to be raving about gregory while we are not really bothered about him leaving. Is this the usual pre season rubbish about how everyone is amazing and is going to be a pro bowl player or were we misusing gregory

A comment of Rivers and Brown are on such great timing was compared to Manning and Harrison :p

I think Butler is our #1 MLB Love him, I think it wont be long before his is pro bowl standard.

More I look at projected final roster Hester stays.

Just leave this from Twitter, really hope it doesn't blow up before seasons starts.
    Michael Gehlken ‏@UTgehlken Weddle defending Gates in 1-on-1 drill in red zone. Gates blew by for TD, leaving Weddle shaking his head and raising arms. Gates is back.

Molly wrote: »
    Pats seem to be raving about gregory while we are not really bothered about him leaving. Is this the usual pre season rubbish about how everyone is amazing and is going to be a pro bowl player or were we misusing gregory

Gregory was a decent player and he will never be any more than that. PR spin methinks from the Pats.

A comment of Rivers and Brown are on such great timing was compared to Manning and Harrison :p

I think Butler is our #1 MLB Love him, I think it wont be long before his is pro bowl standard.

More I look at projected final roster Hester stays.

Just leave this from Twitter, really hope it doesn't blow up before seasons starts.

Ref the Gehlken quote about Gates and Weddle what do u hope doesn't blow up?, Gates' foot?. Sounds like the Gates of old is back, Weddle has never been able to cover the big TEs so I wouldn't worry about him being beaten by the best there is. I want to hear about the likes of Brandon Taylor learning how to cover the TE by practicing with 85. He's been eaten alive so far I believe.

Just our whole off season seems to be going well. No major injuries, even English has had two sessions in a row :eek:

Seriously really hope we dont suffer from the injury list from last previous years.

Gregory would be an upgrade for the Pats. In Chargers defence he was fine but nothing more.

Taylor from what I heard pre draft seems to miss tackles, so would of hoped he would of been better in coverage.

Looking forward to Thursday night.

• Advertisement

Just our whole off season seems to be going well. No major injuries, even English has had two sessions in a row :eek:

Seriously really hope we dont suffer from the injury list from last previous years.

Gregory would be an upgrade for the Pats. In Chargers defence he was fine but nothing more.

Taylor from what I heard pre draft seems to miss tackles, so would of hoped he would of been better in coverage.

Looking forward to Thursday night.

Totally agree ref injuries. Our season has been ended on more than 1 occasion by injuries. Having said that every team can be in the same boat but us losing Gates and Gaither for example may prove disastrous.

Taylor misses tackles, seriously?. Jeez did not know that, would have thought as a SS he'd be solid in that regard, so how was he ranked as 3rd best SS in draft, is he supposed to be able to cover the TE?. As I said no better practice ground than going up against 85 daily.

Looking forward to seeing the below thursday nite;

Harris (is he all that?), Ingram, Wright (rookie yr a waste), Hayes (can he break into the crowded backfield), V Brown, Taylor, Schilling (is he an option at RG?) and Reyes.

My gamepass is at the ready.

Advertisement