Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Internal transfer in DCU?. help!

• 03-08-2012 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

hey guys,

I just got my offer of Health And Society in DCU yesterday from CAO through my FETAC results, As I am delighted with this I also feel kinda down that I didn't get a nursing offer, I got perfect 8 Distinction and thought that this will get me at least a nursing offer but I knew it would be extremely competitive due to the quota reserved for nursing courses.

I am just wondering if it is possible for me to transfer to a nursing programme in DCU as early as September or October? or Do I have to do at least finish 1 year of health and society then transfer into nursing?

Can anyone give me information about this, I tried looking for info in the DCU website but I can't find it.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 HappyBalance2

imjayr wrote: »
    hey guys,

I just got my offer of Health And Society in DCU yesterday from CAO through my FETAC results, As I am delighted with this I also feel kinda down that I didn't get a nursing offer, I got perfect 8 Distinction and thought that this will get me at least a nursing offer but I knew it would be extremely competitive due to the quota reserved for nursing courses.

I am just wondering if it is possible for me to transfer to a nursing programme in DCU as early as September or October? or Do I have to do at least finish 1 year of health and society then transfer into nursing?

Can anyone give me information about this, I tried looking for info in the DCU website but I can't find it.

Thanks guys.

I did it for a diff course but I needed to finish the first year. It depends though if you have the relevant LC Points etc. The best person to contact will be the head of the faculty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 imjayr

I did it for a diff course but I needed to finish the first year. It depends though if you have the relevant LC Points etc. The best person to contact will be the head of the faculty.

did you want to transfer courses since the beginning or did you just change your mind half way?

I hope it works out for me as well, i'll try talking and getting advices from staffs on my first week.

thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

It's possible if you meet the criteria for the course you want to transfer into. I did it from one faculty to a totally different one. Get in touch with the health and society chair and the nursing chair ASAP, and Aaron in the SU will be able to help you too, he is the Education officer. Good luck :)

It's possible if you meet the criteria for the course you want to transfer into. I did it from one faculty to a totally different one. Get in touch with the health and society chair and the nursing chair ASAP, and Aaron in the SU will be able to help you too, he is the Education officer. Good luck :)

thank you very much for your reply mate, do i contact them straight away like now? will they not be put off ? especially when I havent even began yet?
    I might contact the registry office and get advice this early, they can probably change my offer.

thanks again mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

thank you very much for your reply mate, do i contact them straight away like now? will they not be put off ? especially when I havent even began yet?
    I might contact the registry office and get advice this early, they can probably change my offer.

thanks again mate!

No problem, both myself and my boyfriend have been through this so I understand how stressful it can be!
    Well if you're worried about them being put off, 1st week of lectures would give you plenty of time :) But I don't think they would be, I'm sure they get many, many similar requests to yours, what with people mixing up their CAO choices and everything..
    They give you a good 3 weeks at least anyway to sort it out!

• Advertisement

No problem, both myself and my boyfriend have been through this so I understand how stressful it can be!
    Well if you're worried about them being put off, 1st week of lectures would give you plenty of time :) But I don't think they would be, I'm sure they get many, many similar requests to yours, what with people mixing up their CAO choices and everything..
    They give you a good 3 weeks at least anyway to sort it out!

Oh really? what our the success rate of being able to transfer? im sure they wont let you stay in a course you wont be completely happy in right?. It is stressful but hey nothing in life comes easy, :(!
    Yes im planning to stick at my original course at the first week of lectures then ill talk to the chairperson of both my course and the nursing programme I am so committed in doing! thank you again, you are very very helpful!! <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Oh really? what our the success rate of being able to transfer? im sure they wont let you stay in a course you wont be completely happy in right?. It is stressful but hey nothing in life comes easy, :(!
    Yes im planning to stick at my original course at the first week of lectures then ill talk to the chairperson of both my course and the nursing programme I am so committed in doing! thank you again, you are very very helpful!! <3

The success rate for internal transfers is largely dependent on 2 factors:
    1. The course requirements and whether you meet them or not. With LC points, it doesn't matter how much you want a course and try to move into it within the college, if you don't have the points you won't be accepted. I don't know how it works with FETAC and the like but basically, if you don't meet the entry requirements, you're unlikely to get a place.
    2. Space on the course. Some courses have a strict limit on numbers allowed. If there isn't room on the course, it'll be difficult to move into it.

As other people have said, the best thing to do is contact the faculty head and I would do it asap. The sooner you find out your options, the better. Good luck!

Konata wrote: »
    The success rate for internal transfers is largely dependent on 2 factors:
    1. The course requirements and whether you meet them or not. With LC points, it doesn't matter how much you want a course and try to move into it within the college, if you don't have the points you won't be accepted. I don't know how it works with FETAC and the like but basically, if you don't meet the entry requirements, you're unlikely to get a place.
    2. Space on the course. Some courses have a strict limit on numbers allowed. If there isn't room on the course, it'll be difficult to move into it.

As other people have said, the best thing to do is contact the faculty head and I would do it asap. The sooner you find out your options, the better. Good luck!

Thank you konata for your reply, I apologise for asking this same question on another thread as I forgot to look at the date on that thread. It won't happen again :(.

I have emailed DCU admission just this morning and currently awaiting for their reply. Hopefully it will turn out good for me.

Thanks again. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dubdub123

Hi Gunslinger92, My daughter got an offer through the CAO but hadn't realized psychology was available in DCU and has enough points for it and really wants to transfer. Do you mind me asking what was involved with this when you went through the process? I emailed students union but they indicated that it was too late now but others have said to contact admissions. She's on HEAR/ACCESS as well, so would it be worth contacting ACCESS DCU supports first?

Any help would be really appreciated : )

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dory37

Hi Imjayr,

Please I'm in the same shoes just like you. How did the transfer go with you in DCU with Health and society.
    Pls I need to hear from you and your experience, I will remain grateful.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement