Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GEM 2.1 Requirement

Options
  • 17-05-2012 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm not sure how the breakdown of all of this works.....but regarding the minimum 2.1 degree requirement for entry to GEM.....are all your grades throughout your degree looked at?
    For example I am in my third year of a four year degree, I was mainly only in it because my parents insisted I go to college. I had no idea what I wanted to do careerwise and as a result was completely lacking in motivation and ambition....however now I want to become a psychiatrist, I am confident that I have the intellectual, and now,motivational ability to achieve the 2.1 grade or higher for my final year (as that grade can be derived from 100% of my final year work) but my results to date have been pretty bad, which can be simply put down to a lack of attendance and work,not handing in coursework on time etc.
    If I manage to attain a 2.1 or higher next year, and score high enough on the GAMSAT, does anybody know if this could still have a negative effect on my chances of being offered a place?

Edit:Forgot to say any help is greatly appreciated and thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

It all depends on how your degree is weighted.

For the selection process it only looks at what class of degree you get, i.e. I, II.1, II.2 etc.

In my degree, 3rd year counts for 10% of the degree mark, whereas in others I've heard of, it can count for 30-40% of your degree mark. You need to check with your course and see how it is weighted for your particular degree.

Edit: Apologies, I just read that your degree is 100% final year (I think!). As long as you get the II.1, other grades arent looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dearbhail89

Yeah, my degree can be either 100% final year, or 30% third year+70% final year, whichever is better.....pretty sure my grades this year would bring it down rather than up so I'll be using 100% of my final year grades I would say...

Thanks a million for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Cool, no problem!

Just bear in mind that if you're applying to the UK though, they might look at that kinda thing for the interview, but in Ireland its purely final grade!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭roro1neil0

Yeah, my degree can be either 100% final year, or 30% third year+70% final year, whichever is better.....pretty sure my grades this year would bring it down rather than up so I'll be using 100% of my final year grades I would say...

Thanks a million for your help!

this is a good way of doing it, can you tell me which college you're in?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭51533823

For those on a 2.2:
    http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2010/05/13/00203.asp

That report should be out soon then??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 crazy dude

It's your final year counts. Also, apply as a mature student to undergraduate medicine because if you fail to get a 2.1 you are entitled to apply for undergraduate medicine which is probably cheaper and less rushed than GEP/GEM

Advertisement