Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest let down in a game?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I'm a big Tomb Raider fan and absolutely love the first game however when I first completed it I was so disappointed by the shorter-than-short nothing of an ending scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭LiamKK1982

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    Has to be in Spyro 2. After you get all the orbs and beat the whole game basically 100% as a result, all you get is a permanent super-fireball power.

For those who don't know, near the end, there is a massive door with an orb total on it equal to 100% of the orbs in the game. To get 100% it takes flipping ages. When you do, however, the door slides open and...imagine my disappointment when you basically get a power to help you complete the game....when you have completed the game.

Childhood was ruined on that day.

LA Noire was great in general but, for me anyway, it had zero replay value. I completed it and didn't play it again. Also, why make a huge and historical LA if theres nothing to see or do in it? All people ended up doing was letting their partner drive and then skipping the journey.

I played with Black and White on too- looked great.

Would you be happier if I gave ya a digital hug for getting 100% in Spyro 2. I created a US PSN account just to download the ps1 trilogy, money well spent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

LiamKK1982 wrote: »
    Would you be happier if I gave ya a digital hug for getting 100% in Spyro 2. I created a US PSN account just to download the ps1 trilogy, money well spent

And I was pretty young at the time; with young age comes a shorter attention span!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Me thinks we need another "Favorite games" thread... don't think i can take much more of this HL2 bashing ! :D

Magill wrote: »
    Me thinks we need another "Favorite games" thread... don't think i can take much more of this HL2 bashing ! :D

I hear ya!! I just bought The Orange Box on Amazon UK in a protest to these fussy bitches here.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Hackysack

Unchartered 3
    The lack of a boss fight with Katherine was very disappointing, how they killed her off was a big let down for me. They create a clever, manipulative and scheming evil villain, and then they kill her off in a scene. The one on one fight with Talbot was also very disappointing. Why did they go back to doing this? The Navarro fight in UC1 was interesting (you had to work through a lot of crap of him trying to shoot and kill you before you get into a fist fight), and the Lazarovitch fight in UC2 was actually tough! Why did they go back to this format??

That said though, it was a brilliant game and I really enjoyed it but those two things above really let me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

The hand-to-hand combat was disappointing full stop in Uncharted 3, just a load of QTEs with endless safety nets. Some of the fights with the big lads left my hands in bits! It was like Summer Olympiad all over!

Tekken 6

After being spoiled by SSF4 & Blazblue this was a big disappoinment. It just felt very sluiggish and the loading times and online were horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Hackysack wrote: »
    Unchartered 3
    The lack of a boss fight with Katherine was very disappointing, how they killed her off was a big let down for me. They create a clever, manipulative and scheming evil villain, and then they kill her off in a scene. The one on one fight with Talbot was also very disappointing. Why did they go back to doing this? The Navarro fight in UC1 was interesting (you had to work through a lot of crap of him trying to shoot and kill you before you get into a fist fight), and the Lazarovitch fight in UC2 was actually tough! Why did they go back to this format??

That said though, it was a brilliant game and I really enjoyed it but those two things above really let me down.

Hard to reply to that without putting spoiler tags around it all.
    I thought it was for the best not having a big fight with her at the end. It would look a bit ridiculous seeing Drake in a fist fight with an older woman. Even seeing him shooting her would be a little weird. [\spoiler]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

LiamKK1982 wrote: »
    Tekken 6

After being spoiled by SSF4 & Blazblue this was a big disappoinment. It just felt very sluiggish and the loading times and online were horrible.

If you buy a Tekken game expecting a good game then you're doing it wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Biggest disappointments:

Quake 2's multiplayer being so spectacularly awful after the masterpiece that is Quake World.

Tribes 2 being completely and utterly broken when it got released. Had been so hyped for that game, but it was unending disappointment for the 2 months I tried to play it.

Bioshock - it was pegged as some sort of spiritual successor to System Shock 2 and it was nothing but an average FPS console game. Poor mechanics, boring game play and an art style that didn't click with me at first (which I've subsequently, I must admit, come to like).

Fable 3 - it was just Fable 2 with some slight tweaks and then an appalling "railed story" section that didn't tell you you were on rails till it was too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Busted ;)

Aye! :D

Though you have to admit, that AC had a huge flaw of the repetitive stuff. After 4 or 5 assassination it was clear that it was a very repetitive and crap.
    I really can't say that bioshock stands even near repetitive nature of AC. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Duke Nukem Forever - I knew the game would be crap but, good grief, it was just a mish mash of outdated ideas. Shovelled out in the hope that people would buy it for it's name before realising it lacked everything.

Rage - I actually enjoyed it for the most part, after it getting it to run when it had that terrible launch with all it's problems. Awful, awful ending too, it felt like they ran out of money or ideas.

Skyrim - It actually feels more hollow than Oblivion, lacks the fun / charm of it and is just a big ol' rocky landscape with less fun quests. Just became a more serious and gritty game. I still like the game but just not as much as I hoped I would after pumping 170+ hours into Oblivion instead of just a paltry 90 hours in Skyrim.

Bioshock 2 - Started out good but I got incredibly bored of it after a while. Just became repetitive to me. The next Bioshock looks great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Aye! :D

Though you have to admit, that AC had a huge flaw of the repetitive stuff. After 4 or 5 assassination it was clear that it was a very repetitive and crap.
    I really can't say that bioshock stands even near repetitive nature of AC. ;)

I wouldn't consider it crap. A lot of work went into it and some sections do have great merit however you're right about the repetitiveness and for that I can't blame anyone for giving up in frustration. If someone new to the series asked me about the game I would just say start at ACII and if you really enjoy the series then go back and check out the first game as love for the series might shield a person from its flaws.

Haven't played Bioshock but it's on my list :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Thought the main thing about Assassin's Creed wasn't the game itself, but Jade Raymond. :)

I think the reason some(not all) people who dislike Half Life 2 would probably be due to fact that it was so hyped up as being a great game. Go in to anything expecting greatness and you'd be disappointed. Same with movies and tv shows.

Uncharted 3 was a disappointment for me as well. As above, I heard how great it was, played it and thought that you had very little control of what happened. Was like playing a more actiony Dragon's Lair but with less chance of dying outside of the gunfights. So it would go from climbing and pushing to throwing you into a gunfight with about 50 guys at once with snipers and guys with grenade launchers.
    So I liked it but just not to the point I expected to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

ME3 ending
    Fable 3

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I started Portal 2 and the humor is starting to grate me a little bit. It's a shame because it's an excellent game but I wish that Glados would just stop talking.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I started Portal 2 and the humor is starting to grate me a little bit. It's a shame because it's an excellent game but I wish that Glados would just stop talking.

What is wrong with you?! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

C&C: Tiberian Sun

I played every C&C game to death up to this but Tiberian Sun is where the series really fell off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well there's no accounting for taste but I can't see how anyone can prefer those games to HL2. I suppose there's people out there that think Legend of Dragoon is a classic.

I got far more enjoyment out of GoldenEye and Perfect Dark than I did Half Life 2. I way prefer them. I played GoldenEye recently however and its unplayable due to being so dated in every aspect.

I played HL2 single player around 3-4 years after it came. It was above average at best, graphics still stood up but the attempt at the plot was lame. It had such little impact on me that I couldn't tell you thing about the story now. Ravenholm was pure class though of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Hackysack

Hard to reply to that without putting spoiler tags around it all.
    I thought it was for the best not having a big fight with her at the end. It would look a bit ridiculous seeing Drake in a fist fight with an older woman. Even seeing him shooting her would be a little weird.

Same. Hard to not reply without the spoiler tags. I get what you're saying, but they could have worked around it.

It could have easily been a boss fight if you fought
    her while you're on the hallucinogenic drug, and her as a potential 'fire demon'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Hackysack wrote: »
    Same. Hard to not reply without the spoiler tags. I get what you're saying, but they could have worked around it.

It could have easily been a boss fight if you fought
    her while you're on the hallucinogenic drug, and her as a potential 'fire demon'

Yeah, that might work. It would certainly be visually interesting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

5uspect wrote: »
    What is wrong with you?! ;)

I'm not knocking the game! It's absolutely wonderful. I just passed the part where
    Wheatley and Glados switch cores
    . I was just getting a bit sick of Glados talking but J.K. Simmons' Cave Johnson is a great replacement.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Grimebox wrote: »
    I got far more enjoyment out of GoldenEye and Perfect Dark than I did Half Life 2. I way prefer them. I played GoldenEye recently however and its unplayable due to being so dated in every aspect.

I played HL2 single player around 3-4 years after it came. It was above average at best, graphics still stood up but the attempt at the plot was lame. It had such little impact on me that I couldn't tell you thing about the story now. Ravenholm was pure class though of course.

Ravenholm, the mad priest and the use of a shotgun is one of the best situations I've played through in gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Just after playing the first half of HL2 again... and i just don't get how anyone could think anything but at least a great game ! Nearly 8 years after release it still looks pretty good and plays awesome ! Mind boggling tbh !

HazDanz wrote: »
    Ravenholm, the mad priest and the use of a shotgun is one of the best situations I've played through in gaming.

But you know what they say......WE DON'T GO TO RAVENHOLM!!. The atmosphere of Half Life 2 is second to none. I really loved episode 2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Pro evo 6. the end of a great series!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Half Life 1. I came at it about 12 years after its release. Really tried to like it but couldn't. After about 10 hours I looked at an online guide's contents and saw I was about half done and said "screw it". I wish I could like it but I can't.

Zelda Skyward Sword was a bit of a letdown too. Putting Fi in there was a horrible decision from the start. The whole world was far less engaging than its predecessors, the Wii Remote thing still had niggles, there was almost no involvement of the giant bird that seemed to feature in every trailer and the exploration was almost non-existent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MiseryMary

I thought Batman Arkham city was a let down over the stupid riddles and the codes ,catwoman and now codes to get Harley quinns revenge pack omg what a ****ing pain .

Advertisement