Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matt Connor

Options
  • 01-08-2012 8:54pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was going to bump the leinster football final thread but I think it deserves a thread on its own.

The Offaly Kerry 1980 semi final where Matt Connor scored 2-9 is on TG4 now. I hadnt seen much of Connor other than the TG4 Gold series, but he was some serious player. Just a huge natural ability to win the ball, and his finishing from play and frees was immense. Such a shame to see one of the greatest players ever cut down in his prime.

He really was exceptional, and when I was younger hearing about him, it was hard to believe all the stories etc. But it really was the case. As an aside, TG4's 'Gold' series has to be one of the best things that Irish TV has produced. If it wasnt for them a lot of the younger generation wouldnt have ever seen some classic games from years gone by.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 A Question of Class

Incredible talent and to think he was only 20 when he game such a majestic performance in 1980! Shame such a fine career was cut short

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

My father said his performance on that day in 1980 was one of the greatest he had ever seen. I think he was in car accident which left him in wheelchair, terrible shame to happen to him so young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

What a class act he was - such a shame that we never got to see him in his prime. A true gent as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

As a youngster growing up in Offaly many's the row broke out over who would be "Matt Connor" when we played ball.
    I saw him at county and club level with Walsh Island. The Island with the Connor clan won the Offaly senior football championship from 1978 to 1983, 6 titles in row.
    I'd have Matt on any team!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

would make my greatest 15 of all time for sure, an absolutely wonderful footballer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

yes I have to agree. I was lucky to see Matt play several times ( I am quite old!) Dignity graceful sublime are the only words that come to mind. I am from Wexford, No local ties whatever. What a genius. AN artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭caomhino

His skill here is something else, was probably going for the top corner too !

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mDRL6TqPP9A&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭caomhino

His skill here is something else, was probably going for the top corner too !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDRL6TqPP9A

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

He was incredible...from what I've seen I'd say he was the best footballer ever to play the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

I meet him in a pub in Kerry coupe of years ago, not realising who he was. got chatting, asked him where was he from, he says Offally, naturally with me being a Kerry man, we got talking about football and how I'm still trying to get over 1982. I said to him, for such a small county, Offally had some of the great footballers, the likes of Matt Connor and the Lowerys! We spoke for about 5 mins maybe, then he left. Twas only later that night that I found out I was speaking to Matt Connor! never felt like such an eegit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

A great, great player. I remember Armagh played them in the league in Lurgan, late October 1982. We were winning comfortably and with Offaly chasing the game, Matt Connor got the ball, run straight at our defence, and sold a dummy that took three of our players out, before smashing a goalbound shot that just cleared the bar by inches.

Just a personal memory of genius.

bruschi wrote: »
    The Offaly Kerry 1980 semi final where Matt Connor scored 2-9 is on TG4 now.

An amazing match, in which Offaly's total of 4-10 was scored by two men - Matt Connor with 2-9 and Gerry Carroll (from midfield) with 2-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

There’s a book called the Kings of September. It details Offaly’s rise from relegation in 1976 through to being crowned champions in 1982. It also documents the disintegration of that team. There is a chapter dedicated to Matt Connor. It is a brilliant book.

Offaly were set to dominate Leinster in the mid 1980’s but the win in 1982 made them complacent. They were on the lash for most of that Winter and Dublin ambushed them in the Leinster final in 1983. Things got worse the following year and then came Matt Connor’s accident. And Offaly’s footballers have never hit the same heights since.

Advertisement