Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Property Valuation and Management

Options
  • 30-06-2012 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Just wondered if I could have the views of anybody currently studying this course as to what it's like.
    • How tough is it, with the Property Law/Economics etc.
    • Also, did everyone get their 3rd Year placements this year, given the state of the industry these days?
    • How is the course viewed in the industry generally, would it be considered better than the valuation course in DIT?
    • Are there many mature students on the course?

Thanks for your kind attention.

Tom:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭bheart65

Guys over 100 views, no replies, anybody able to answer any of my questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭JoJo_27

Hi, I haven't done the course but work with students who have.
    Law & Economics are tough enough subjects but if you use the tutorials and learning support facilities you should be fine.
    The numbers on the course have dropped in recent years unsurprisingly but it does mean that there has been no difficulty for students to secure 3rd year placement or indeed graduate employment. In fact, this year we did not have enough students to fill all the available placements.
    The course is on a par with the DIT programme and is extremely well regarded by industry. It is fully recognised by the Society of Chartered Surveyors and the IAVI.

Thanks JoJo for the reply. Great to hear that 3rd years have no problems getting placements. I was a bit worried that they might be hard enough to get, given the current climate.

Thanks again for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

JoJo_27 wrote: »
    In fact, this year we did not have enough students to fill all the available placements.

Who would 'we' be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭BehindTheScenes

bheart65 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Just wondered if I could have the views of anybody currently studying this course as to what it's like.
    • How tough is it, with the Property Law/Economics etc.
    • Also, did everyone get their 3rd Year placements this year, given the state of the industry these days?
    • How is the course viewed in the industry generally, would it be considered better than the valuation course in DIT?
    • Are there many mature students on the course?

Thanks for your kind attention.

Tom:)

Hey, I was talking to someone involved in this course the other day and apparently there are more jobs offers than people to take them up. Hope this helps a bit.

• Advertisement

Hey, I was talking to someone involved in this course the other day and apparently there are more jobs offers than people to take them up. Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks for that, BehindTheScenes, that's great to hear in the current jobs climate, sounds like it might be worth considering, even though I'd be bricking it as a mature student.;)

bheart65 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, BehindTheScenes, that's great to hear in the current jobs climate, sounds like it might be worth considering, even though I'd be bricking it as a mature student.;)

Jeekers I know all about it. I'm 31 heading into Quantity Surveying, it's the right decision for me, but some days I find myself thinking what the hell am I doing!

You should send an e-mail to James Collins (try and keep email addresses to PM please :)) enquiring about it, he runs the department and he's a really sound guy. When I went for my interview we talked about the course for approximately twenty minutes, then he said he was making me an offer. No messing around, which is the way I like things.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭limerickfc

Hey tom i just accepted the course their myself lets hope we enjoy it ha!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 smellycat123

Hi there,
    Hopefully the current climate will be better in four years

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Well why don't you give us reasons as to not do this course?

If there's no jobs in it then surely it doesn't matter which course you do?

• Advertisement

Well Tom did you accept the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

Well lads Im after getting in through direct entry so I guess I'll see ye monday.
    Who here is doing the course so? Wish they let me know sooner I could have started at the same time as the rest of the class.

How many people are on the course does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭limerickfc

Theirs only 7 of us so far but were mixed in with 3 or 4 other classes for most subjects,, you havent missed anything all week anyway we done nothing:).

limerickfc wrote: »
    Theirs only 7 of us so far but were mixed in with 3 or 4 other classes for most subjects,, you havent missed anything all week anyway we done nothing:).

7 of ye:eek: I've only seen 4 of ya all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

Did ye all finish the course?

Advertisement