Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do YOU wash your face?

• 01-08-2012 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I've often wondered how do other guys wash their faces every morning/evening. I generally don't get too many spots (white heads mostly and a few rare sore red spots). I've been using a special clean and clear wash and moisturiser and it's help me a lot. Still though, I continue to break out.

My brother says he only uses regular soap in the shower and some basic nivia moisturiser afterwards and his skin is practically clear.

So lads, tell me what do ye use?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Just water mostly.

Only rarely (and I mean less than once a month) would I use a facial scrub and maybe some Nivea face wash. Tend to buy this stuff and when it runs out not buy it again for ages. Not exactly Patrick Bateman, I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MrDetective

Ah right! Would you say your skin is clear and spot free? Also, have you a technique for washing your face (scrubbing, rubbing, just letting it get wet etc)?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Anyone else have to fight the temptation to say "With my hands."?

/ontopic
    I use soap and water, other things tend to make my skin worse, so this works for me.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Anyone else have to fight the temptation to say "With my hands."?

/ontopic
    I use soap and water, other things tend to make my skin worse, so this works for me.

Hahaha I just need people to be more specific! I'm trying to see if a new technique will work for me!

For example, I normally wash my face in the shower every morning. I wash my hair twice, then use a bit of the clean and clear to remove the superficial dirt and grease, then once more to get a deep clean. Then once I get out I put on the moisturiser.

Do you use any moisturiser? Doesn't your skin get dry and flaky from using soap?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Clearasil night wash, in a small dispenser its violet. Two nights with it and my face is fully clean just a bit of water before and after i use it and some e45 cream after i use it. Works wonders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,249 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Hahaha I just need people to be more specific! I'm trying to see if a new technique will work for me!

For example, I normally wash my face in the shower every morning. I wash my hair twice, then use a bit of the clean and clear to remove the superficial dirt and grease, then once more to get a deep clean. Then once I get out I put on the moisturiser.

Do you use any moisturiser? Doesn't your skin get dry and flaky from using soap?

Wait until you get out of the shower before using a cleanser to wash your face.

There are so many different names for all those clearasil products! I presume it's called Clearasil Night Wash and available in Dunnes and Tesco? What about the e45 cream? Can I get that there too?

There are so many different names for all those clearasil products! I presume it's called Clearasil Night Wash and available in Dunnes and Tesco? What about the e45 cream? Can I get that there too?

Thats the one its a violet cream inside anyways and the e45 one is in a big white dispenser not sure what its called

How is it any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Op if your looking to get clear skin,go easy on all the clearasil products as too much application can counteract what your aiming for.
    My wife swears by an Irish cream she uses it's called green angel seaweed and colegen face cream.
    I can honestly say her skin is amazing as a result of using only this and water.
    It's not cheap round 28 euro a tub that usually lasts 3 months.

• Advertisement

Where do you get it? How often does she use it? And does she use any mosituriser afterwards?

Where do you get it? How often does she use it? And does she use any mosituriser afterwards?
    They have a website greenangel.com and some chemists stock it.
    She uses it every night before she sleeps,I tried it a few times and it is really good no doubt but she didn't want me hogging her supply lol.
    Seriously every female comments on her skin how clear n glowing it is and that's her secret.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

That won't make any difference, it's perfectly fine to wash your face in the shower.

OP, if you have a good skincare regime and you're still getting breakouts they're more than likely hormonal in origin. Unfortunately, it doesn't matter how clean you keep your face if this is the case, but it certainly won't do any harm either. If it's bad enough to be getting you down, your doc will be able to prescribe medication - usually oxytetracycline.

Try using a facewash with salicyclic acid in it once a week too.

Anyone who just rinses with water, it's pretty much a waste of time - water alone won't get through the layer of sebum your skin accumulates during the day.

Basically, everyone needs to wash their face every evening with some kind of cleanser/wash, then moisturise afterwards. OP, it might also be worth making sure your moisturiser is oil-free.

Honey-ec wrote: »

That won't make any difference, it's perfectly fine to wash your face in the shower.

OP, if you have a good skincare regime and you're still getting breakouts they're more than likely hormonal in origin. Unfortunately, it doesn't matter how clean you keep your face if this is the case, but it certainly won't do any harm either. If it's bad enough to be getting you down, your doc will be able to prescribe medication - usually oxytetracycline.

Try using a facewash with salicyclic acid in it once a week too.

Anyone who just rinses with water, it's pretty much a waste of time - water alone won't get through the layer of sebum your skin accumulates during the day.

Basically, everyone needs to wash their face every evening with some kind of cleanser/wash, then moisturise afterwards. OP, it might also be worth making sure your moisturiser is oil-free.
    Op avoid medication if you can,I had a good friend who was prescribed roacutain before and he went through a psychotic episode for weeks because of this drug.

Sappa wrote: »
    Op avoid medication if you can,I had a good friend who was prescribed roacutain before and he went through a psychotic episode for weeks because of this drug.

Roaccutane is only prescribed for chronic acne, no doctor is going to prescribe it lightly. Oxytetracycline is nowhere near in the same league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

To be fair, Accutane is considered to be a fairly hard core medication in contrast to others ones that are available for acne and sometimes it is rather necessary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.
    Your taking the piss either that or your a pampered celebrity currently in a detox centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭carpenter23

i usuallly rinse off with some water and the blood of my opponent,had no spots since i had chicken pox .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Tone down the smart arsé responses folks.

• Advertisement

Op if your looking to get clear skin,go easy on all the clearasil products as too much application can counteract what your aiming for.
    My wife swears by an Irish cream she uses it's called green angel seaweed and colegen face cream.
    I can honestly say her skin is amazing as a result of using only this and water.
    It's not cheap round 28 euro a tub that usually lasts 3 months.

Have used that too! Works wonders but not cheap which is why I stick with clearasil.

Also I agree, go easy on clearasil or it will burn the face off ya! Hehe..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I use hot and cold water. I use a scrub now and then

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

between work and exercise I have at least 2 showers a day so i just assume that i'm always clean! I guess I don't get many spots on my face so I dont really think about it

so to answer your question, hot water, possibly some shower gel/shampoo or whatever I've covered myself in

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

They don't prescribe that without going through everything first. Nor without going through the risks of it as its a fairly extreme drug.

The stuff Honey-EC was talking about increases the dryness of skin. Used stuff based on it myself before.

Spots/Acne isn't always down to hygene. If it's bothering you after washing all the time, speak with a GP, they may refer you to a dermatoligist who'd be in a better position to advise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

They don't prescribe that without going through everything first. Nor without going through the risks of it as its a fairly extreme drug.

I was proscribed roacutane a couple of years ago by a dermotologist who never informed me of the majority of the risks or bothered to call me back for the necessary blood tests. He never even told me not to drink alcohol which is VERY dangerous when taking the drug. I had to find all out for myself through various forums. Extreme is not the word for it. Possibly the worst 7 months of my life. Also it did nothing to help.

Acne has nothing to do with how clean you are. In fact depending on your skin type some people are better off not washing as often and only with cooler water as hot water can have a bad affect on some more sensitive skins

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'd normally wash my face in the morning when I'm showering, and in the evening when I'm showering again (I'm quite active so hence the second shower).

I normally use a face wash such as Nivea For Men face wash or L'Oréal Men Expert face wash (generally, whichever is on special offer in the supermarket). Those face washes often contain scrubbing particles as well, so that helps with removing dead skin. I tend to use a small bit of Nivea For Men Sensitive Moisturiser after washing my face.

Similar to you OP, I generally don't get too many spots, except for white heads. I get them mostly in the area where my nostrils meet my cheeks. I have combination skin (skin that is both dry and oily).

I find that using a face wash and moisturiser does benefit my skin, but I also need to be eating healthily and drinking plenty of water.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

I was proscribed roacutane a couple of years ago by a dermotologist who never informed me of the majority of the risks or bothered to call me back for the necessary blood tests. He never even told me not to drink alcohol which is VERY dangerous when taking the drug. I had to find all out for myself through various forums. Extreme is not the word for it. Possibly the worst 7 months of my life. Also it did nothing to help.

Acne has nothing to do with how clean you are. In fact depending on your skin type some people are better off not washing as often and only with cooler water as hot water can have a bad affect on some more sensitive skins
    Roacutane has been linked to a number of suicides,it was liberally prescribed 13 yrs ago to a few people I know and not as a last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I used to use a few different washes a couple of years back. Now I mainly just throw a bit of water on it. It works for me.

I had very bad acne about 4 years ago and I went to a dermatologist over it. Through a mixture of medication, growing older and drinking water my skin has almost entirely cleared up.

Don't go down the roaccutane route. That's some scary ****. Also don't pop your spots. It just makes it worse.

Oh and another tip, if you have a real bad spot try putting a bit of sudocrem on it overnight. After a day or two of doing this you should see a reduction in the prominence of said spot. It saved me many times in college. Just remember to always look in the mirror before you leave the house. Otherwise it looks like you have other more dodgy stuff on your face :P.

Oh and another tip, if you have a real bad spot try putting a bit of sudocrem on it overnight. After a day or two of doing this you should see a reduction in the prominence of said spot.

Aspirin crushed to a paste with a few drops of water is also a good topical treatment for the really roaring-red, angry ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

This once or twice a week:
    neutrogena-men-invigorating-face-wash.jpg

Then this after every shower, so once or twice a day:
    nivea-for-men-rehydrating-moisturiser-75ml.jpg

Advertisement