Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airsoft Classification Sport/Hobby/Game

• 28-07-2012 12:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

So looking at the Olympics opening and seeing all the sports being mentioned.

Handball was one of them, Discus, Javelin etc etc etc there is even Trap for shotgun shooting, archery and Rifle/Pistol shooting all pretty obscure. Doing some backflips and twirling some sticks with ribbons on a gym matt are all things we will see on the telly when the Olympic games are broadcast
    and people will be given medals for.

Airsoft that has been around since the 80's and even Paintball that been around quite a while still after all these years shows no sign of being able
    to be considered entry.

Putting the question out there is Airsoft really considered an "actual" sport Internationally or is it considered a game like darts/snooker/pool.

Is 20-30 years time frame of existence still too short a time for it to be considered an Actual genuine sport that could be entered into the Olympics in some form, or does it take another few decades or forever to be classified or identified or acknowledged as something that's considered a sport rather than hobby/game.

Googleing show the following as requirements to enter the Olympics:
    it needs to have an International Federation
    it needs to be practiced in at least 50 countries
    it needs to hold World Championships.
    it needs to be recognized by the IOC
    it needs to be voted in to the games by a 2/3 majority of IOC members at the first IOC meeting following each Olympic Games.

What do peeps think? Will it ever get there? or will it always be considered
    a novelty/geeky thing rather than something internationally recognized ?
    ~B

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glicster

never... its a pass time,hobby,a game,roleplaying but for me its not a sport. i know some people call it a sport but for me thats a cop out. as for paintball,look at some vids for speedball,even though theres major competitions and its agressive as hell, its boring as fcuk to look at but has a better chance than airsoft. maybe dynamic pistol shooting(airsoft) could be something worth viewing and easily referee'd and might have a chance, but otherwise i think not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

In short....No, I dont think it would ever happen and wouldnt be a good addition to the games. Adding airsoft to the Olympics would be like adding competition RC chopper flying or lazer tag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Sports are competitive because the result is objectively measurable. Airsoft isn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭War Machine 539

Its a hobby. One of my pet peeves is that it is in the sports section on boards at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

for me hobby

yes you can make an argument that it is a sport but due to the use of rifs and military paraphernalia I do not believe personally it has a place as a sport, remove the military trapping ( basically making it paintball with 6mm ) and I would say you can go with sport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

It's grand at a Sunday skirmish, 9/10 players can be absolutely trusted to call their hits. Imagine how much that would change with Olympic medals at stake. I just don't think it is plausible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

Definition of sport
    noun
    An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment

Make your own mind up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Always considered it a sport.

There is just different understandings from everyone. The big plus from airsoft is that you can take from it what you want.

There are those that really just go out for a social chit chat.
    There are those who just collect.
    There are those that just like to play casually.
    There are those who enjoy the physical aspect.
    etc etc etc

I enjoy pitting myself against others in a game that has a decent amount of skill and ability.
    I enjoy being competitive in objective based or team based games.

So for me its a sport.

Computer games at this stage are considered a sport, so why the hell not airsoft.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Doc raises a good point about PC games being a sport. Guess I gotta' agree with him on this one!

Advertisement