Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Business banking BOI on Mac?

• 26-07-2012 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

I just bought a mac for the first time, iMac air.

I cant seem to access Bank of Ireland business banking on it at all. Tried chrome and still the same. I know you need a digital cert but even without it on a PC I can access and view, just not make any payments.
    But on the Mac I tried safari and chrome but when I access the page it shows the log in but just keeps on saying please wait...

Anyone else had this problem or know how to resolve?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

buzz wrote: »
    I just bought a mac for the first time, iMac air.

I cant seem to access Bank of Ireland business banking on it at all. Tried chrome and still the same. I know you need a digital cert but even without it on a PC I can access and view, just not make any payments.
    But on the Mac I tried safari and chrome but when I access the page it shows the log in but just keeps on saying please wait...

Anyone else had this problem or know how to resolve?

Thanks

BOI BOL only works with Internet Explorer. Those wonderfully up to date business IT guys in BOI still haven't managed to find a way to get it to work with any other browser. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭buzz

Johnmb wrote: »
    BOI BOL only works with Internet Explorer. Those wonderfully up to date business IT guys in BOI still haven't managed to find a way to get it to work with any other browser. :rolleyes:

Oh god your joking.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Oh god your joking.....

He's not. And we trust these *ankers with our cash? If you're looking for a workaround, try Virtualbox. It's free but you'll need a copy of Windows (I'm using XP) and you can access it from there.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You can setup Safari to use a user agent switcher to fool the boi website into thinking your using IE and windows.

This may help
    http://mobiforge.com/designing/blog/user-agent-switcher-safari-4

Cabaal wrote: »
    You can setup Safari to use a user agent switcher to fool the boi website into thinking your using IE and windows.

This may help
    http://mobiforge.com/designing/blog/user-agent-switcher-safari-4

I tried that and it won't work with BOI. AFAIK BOI uses Microsoft Active x, which only works in a Windoze environment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ado100

Oh god your joking.....

It's no joke - I've had this problem with BoI for years, I had to buy a cheap PC just so I could do business banking online!:eek: I suggested to BoI that they buy it for me but they didn't think that was funny. Every year they tell me a Mac version is on its way - 10 years later and still no sign.

Moving to another bank was always an option, but it is so complicated to switch all my customers and suppliers, it's just not worth it.

I don't want to insight a revolution, but if people could post their frustration here, perhaps someone in BoI will listen (I know, I know, I'm deluded!).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Its 2012. You hate to think what systems they're using to process our money if they cant support modern machines or browsers...

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭toxof

From BOI website

http://www.bankofireland.com/help/faqs/personal/online-banking/
    Q. I get an error about my browser when I try to login – what should I do?

This error message does not mean that you cannot log in to the site. It means for the best possible experience, 365 online should be viewed using a modern browser.

ha ha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

jakdublin wrote: »
    I tried that and it won't work with BOI. AFAIK BOI uses Microsoft Active x, which only works in a Windoze environment.
    Correct. The stupid tossers ditched all the standards and built their front-ends using tools that do things in non-standard ways. Presumably this is because Micro$oft banks with them and gave them the shoite for free.

It's a pity BOI dickheads didn't know what I've known for years ago and steered people into Apple shares. Apple's market capitalisation now exceeds that of IBM + Micro$oft + Dell combined. Everything Apple touches turns to gold, everything BOI touches turns to poo.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭buzz

Jesus you'd think in this day and age they would of redevoloped their online banking site for business... They are advertising on TV saying that they "rely on business to succeed" in business. Personal banking works on other browsers, can even access it on my phone! Just not business:rolleyes:

It makes me think did I do my homework before buying a Mac, tbh I wouldnt of dremt in 1 million years that BOI could be so backward so I didnt even assume that I couldnt use it for basic things. Love it though... Powerful and neat :p

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Their personal banking site is trainwreck too, although its recent reskin is improving things somewhat. Remember when you used to need to click a different link if using Safari?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... Love it though... Powerful and neat :p
    Unlike Bank of ireland ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Guys, could be wrong, have not been online fir over a week, but I use Firefox as my browser and have never had an issue with BOI online banking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

BOI online works fine on my imac, safari / firefox..

The BOI app, now that's a ball of sh1t. I t never works

nanook wrote: »
    Guys, could be wrong, have not been online fir over a week, but I use Firefox as my browser and have never had an issue with BOI online banking.

T-K-O wrote: »
    BOI online works fine on my imac, safari / firefox..

The BOI app, now that's a ball of sh1t. I t never works

It's business banking that won't work. The personal one does.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

The post is about Business Banking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

It's business banking that won't work. The personal one does.

That's even worse on their behalf, half of their system doesnt work... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

AIB Business Banking works on a Mac :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Do AIB business allow you to buy online outside Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Parallels running Windows is what I use. Every time I ask them when it'll be sorted they tell me it's 18 months away, been like that for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

I haven't tried this myself but its worth a shot.

bertie4evr wrote: »
    I haven't tried this myself but its worth a shot.

That's what I've been using. Works fine, but it's still a pain having to boot up Windoze just to use BOI Business banking.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

When I looked at AIBs technical requirements for iBB (business banking for AIB) it shows that they do not support Mac.

I rang iBB to complain and they seemed disinterested. So I rang my account manager in my local AIB branch. To my surprise he told me that iBB will work perfectly on a Mac. As it happens, he is correct. I have been successfully using iBB on my iMac for a month now without any hiccups.

2011 wrote: »
    When I looked at AIBs technical requirements for iBB (business banking for AIB) it shows that they do not support Mac.

I rang iBB to complain and they seemed disinterested. So I rang my account manager in my local AIB branch. To my surprise he told me that iBB will work perfectly on a Mac. As it happens, he is correct. I have been successfully using iBB on my iMac for a month now without any hiccups.

I'm sure I speak for all BOI Business customers when I express my overwhelming happiness for you. Thank you for sharing. :p

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I'm sure I speak for all BOI Business customers when I express my overwhelming happiness for you. Thank you for sharing. :p

Don't mention it. It is a great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 beechpark

It's incredible that they haven't sorted this out yet. I've called them a number of times over the years about it ... maybe if more people rang up and complained (1890 818 265) they might take a bit more interest. It's also worth letting you BOI manager know next time you see him. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hardyspicer

Old tread but its about 18 mounts later and still no change :(

I'v just started a business and have just tried to log on for the first time to this BOI BOL thing. Total disaster

I work in design and haven't had a windows computer in 10 years, there's no way I gunna run windows for this alone (not even a virtual pc, too much hassle)

Excluding AIB, does anybody know if other banks have Mac compatible Business Banking?

I need to move my bank right now!!!!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31 beechpark

It still can't be done on a Mac. It's the browser, not the computer. I've had multiple communications with both my branch and with Business On Line directly and I reckon I'm 10 years waiting at this stage. BOI are really really poor and I would love to change banks. Unfortunately the only option apart from AIB is perhaps TSB as far as I know. Let us know what you decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Mac has had a serious security hole in their browser SSL security for a few years. Maybe BOI knew something we didn't :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

aphex™ wrote: »
    Mac has had a serious security hole in their browser SSL security for a few years. Maybe BOI knew something we didn't :pac:

Not likely, they recommend using a PC and Internet Explorer ;-)

Advertisement