Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help tourist find cool venues and music in Dublin please!

Options
  • 26-07-2012 4:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Howdy!

My family and I are coming to visit Ireland from Dallas, TX in early September. My girlfriend and I are very interested in checking out the local music scene and culture during the several days we will be in Dublin on Saturday 9/2 and Sun 9/9 - Tue 9/11.

In Dallas we have several clubs I would refer a visitor to if they asked. Trees is one, because of the clubs history of great rock, grunge, alternative and metal bands which have played it. And upcoming local/regional bands continue to play there also. The Lizard Lounge is known for the best house/dj music in town.

I was wondering if you could give us any suggestions for live gigs all ready booked for that time. My girl and I like american rock and alternative style music, dance/house/dj music, and folky singer/songwriter type music. I would love to visit a grand club, but not at the expense of the musical talent as I am interested in seeing your bands who are just on the verge of being discovered and signed. Whether is is because of the beautiful songs they write, or how much they rock, or their great DJ sets!

I can't wait to visit Ireland! Thank you for your response! :D

Michael

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Hi.

There's a music festival called Electric Picnic on when you first come over (31st August to 2nd September) so it's possible there wouldn't be much on in Dublin that weekend. I had a quick look for listings and I couldn't really find anything.

I would suggest asking again closer to the time of your arrival. It's unlikely that there'll be much on around the time you're over because of the festival being on, usually acts hold off from having gigs around that time as it's a popular festival for music fans and it ain't cheap!

I do reckon you'll find something, though, so like I said ask again nearer the time. You won't have any problem getting tickets and you can more than likely pay at the door, so don't worry about booking tickets for a show ahead of time.

Venues I'd recommend would be Whelan's, The Workman's Club and The Grand Social. Check www.entertainment.ie for listings nearer the time. There's also many one off gigs in places like The Project Arts Centre that could pop up.

Dublin has a pretty good scene at the moment. If you're down in Limerick there's a place called Bourke's there that have a very good night every Thursday with the cream of Irish acts playing.

I'm sure some other people here could recommend other venues or gigs.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Howdy!

My family and I are coming to visit Ireland from Dallas, TX in early September. My girlfriend and I are very interested in checking out the local music scene and culture during the several days we will be in Dublin on Saturday 9/2 and Sun 9/9 - Tue 9/11.

In Dallas we have several clubs I would refer a visitor to if they asked. Trees is one, because of the clubs history of great rock, grunge, alternative and metal bands which have played it. And upcoming local/regional bands continue to play there also. The Lizard Lounge is known for the best house/dj music in town.

I was wondering if you could give us any suggestions for live gigs all ready booked for that time. My girl and I like american rock and alternative style music, dance/house/dj music, and folky singer/songwriter type music. I would love to visit a grand club, but not at the expense of the musical talent as I am interested in seeing your bands who are just on the verge of being discovered and signed. Whether is is because of the beautiful songs they write, or how much they rock, or their great DJ sets!

I can't wait to visit Ireland! Thank you for your response! :D

Michael

If you are interested in experiencing local culture i'd recommend Copper Face Jacks just off Harcourt Street.

It's an interesting melange of Artistic types, muso's and farmers.

No visit to Dublin would be complete without stopping by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

If you are interested in experiencing local culture i'd recommend Copper Face Jacks just off Harcourt Street.

Don't listen to this man!

Copper Face Jack's will send you running for the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭mooliki

Hi,

there's a music blog, Nialler9, it also lists upcoming gigs. It's pretty useful as it also has a map with the venues, as well as links to the events/bands; regular listings and week by week listings

If you've time you could maybe browse through a blog like nialler9 or harmless noise or goldenplec, just to get an idea of some of the bands playing at the minute.

Pinksoir covered most of it. Aside from the bigger venues, Whelans, The Workman's Club and The Grand Social would be pretty reliable for alternative music.

Also, as Jeff says, Copperface Jack's isn't a serious suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 michael.a.teer

Now that we are very close to our arrival, I thought I might follow up and see if any not-to-miss bands are playing while we are visiting.

We are staying at the Morgan Hotel, which apparently is very close to the three clubs you suggested.

We arrive from Galway on 9-9 and depart Dublin on 9-12.

Of the bands booked to play Whelans, Workmans Club, and Grand Social on those dates, which are worth enjoying?

Thanks so much!!

Michael

• Advertisement
Advertisement