Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Traveling to Ireland - Need Help With Tickets Please!

• 26-07-2012 4:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Howdy,

My family and I will be visiting Ireland for two weeks in September. We would love to attend a GAA tourney while in Dublin on either 9/2 or 9/9. It looks like I can buy tickets to the game at Croke Park for 9/2 online, but I have seen nothing for 9/9.

Can anyone help me with getting tickets for 6 to either event? We want to be comfortable and not in a rowdy area. I am also very curious what to expect, what to do, and what to be sure NOT to do! :eek:

Thank you for your help and comments,

Michael

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Howdy,

My family and I will be visiting Ireland for two weeks in September. We would love to attend a GAA tourney while in Dublin on either 9/2 or 9/9. It looks like I can buy tickets to the game at Croke Park for 9/2 online, but I have seen nothing for 9/9.

Can anyone help me with getting tickets for 6 to either event? We want to be comfortable and not in a rowdy area. I am also very curious what to expect, what to do, and what to be sure NOT to do! :eek:

Michael

September 9th is the All-Ireland Senior Hurling Final, tickets are gold dust and it's always a sell-out. The only way to get them is through local GAA clubs, no general sale, and that's plenty hard even when you have connections.

September 2nd is the second All-Ireland Senior Football Semi-final, a different sport, the penultimate round of the highest level of the most popular sport in the country. Those are general sale as you've seen and there should be at least 50k at it, and at full capacity if Dublin win their quarter-final.

GAA matches are famously friendly in general, there's no segregation of fans. I'd say feel free to chat to any of the 'locals' sitting beside you and they'll be glad to fill in in with some of the colour of the occasion or what's going on. There's a family area that you can avail of if it suits better but for the most part there really isn't a problem where you get seats as long as it's not for Hill 16 as it's the only terrace area in the stadium and it probably wouldn't be ideal for viewing your first match. I'd recommend the Cusack Stand so you can visit the GAA Museum (you'd want to get there an hour before throw-in to have a chance to see most of it - the entrance gates to the stadium don't open before that so there's no point coming any earlier than that) that's inset into the entrance to the stand unless you plan on taking that in with the Skyline tour at the stadium on another day. The Hogan Stand would be marginally better from a viewing perspective as the Sun is behind you in the day so there's no chance of glare.

Anyways, I hope you attend and enjoy our national games!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 michael.a.teer

The game on the 9th is the one I am interested in. 2 tickets would be plenty. Price is not an option. Please help?

The game on the 9th is the one I am interested in. 2 tickets would be plenty. Price is not an option. Please help?

I highly doubt you're going to have much luck on that front I'm afraid.

Maybe paying through your nose through touts but beyond that I don't think you'll find anyone willing to give AI final tickets to tourists at cost, if people are that generous they'll likely have given them away before they get to you, they're not things that get passed up on often.

Right on,

I am not expecting to pay face value. I understand there has to be an upside for the seller in the sense of $profit$. Where can I find "scalped" tickets?

Thanks so much!

I just realized touts.ie

Right on,

I am not expecting to pay face value. I understand there has to be an upside for the seller in the sense of $profit$. Where can I find "scalped" tickets?

Thanks so much!

I just realized touts.ie

They won't be available until at least the week following 18th of August, which is when the second All-Ireland hurling semi-final is played. The two competing counties get most of the allocation of tickets so even the source of tickets isn't known yet. Every GAA club outside the competing counties get two tickets each but those are generally raffled off rather than sold.

• Advertisement

Syferus wrote: »
    The two competing counties get most of the allocation of tickets so even the source of tickets isn't known yet.

Which counties are most likely to win this year? Are there any clubs who are shoe-in's and have a high probability of advancing?

I am going to start researching the teams, standings, ect. As I do, would it be of any benefit to start contacting and county clubs and explaining to them my interest? A few emails can sometimes go a long way I have found!

Again, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭ceegee

Syferus wrote: »
    The two competing counties get most of the allocation of tickets so even the source of tickets isn't known yet.

Which counties are most likely to win this year? Are there any clubs who are shoe-in's and have a high probability of advancing?

I am going to start researching the teams, standings, ect. As I do, would it be of any benefit to start contacting and county clubs and explaining to them my interest? A few emails can sometimes go a long way I have found!

Again, thank you!

One of Kilkenny or Tipperary will most likely be in the final and whichever one makes it will be favourite

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

It has been possible for at least the last 5 years to pick up tickets outside the ground at not much more than face value for the hurling final. It wouldnt be guaranteed, but if you were prepared to wait, it would work out better than some of the prices that are on ebay or other tickets scalping sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

If its another Tipperary-Kilkenny Final you might have a chance of picking them up on the day. Any other combination and the counties will have their allocations gone within days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Mod warning

Anybody on here caught selling tickets will be permabanned from the forum.

I'll leave this thread open, but can people give the OP legal and sound advice, such as looking at ticketmaster if they release tickets for the hurling final.

If no one is sure what they can post, read the forum charter and all of its accompanying links http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056682165

Regards,

Pride Fighter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Howdy,

Michael

Hi OP, I would suggest you go to Hill 16, especially for a Dublin game. It is known to be cool, calm and collective during a game.

Mod warning

Anybody on here caught selling tickets will be permabanned from the forum.

I'll leave this thread open, but can people give the OP legal and sound advice, such as looking at ticketmaster if they release tickets for the hurling final.

If no one is sure what they can post, read the forum charter and all of its accompanying links http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056682165

Regards,

Pride Fighter

Well for one tickets.ie are the official resellers of GAA tickets online and they have no fees, unlike Ticketmaster. Secondly there is never a general sale of All-Ireland final tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

If its another Tipperary-Kilkenny Final you might have a chance of picking them up on the day. Any other combination and the counties will have their allocations gone within days.

That is an impossible occurance this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

PaulKK wrote: »
    That is an impossible occurance this year.

Good point, forgot about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Price is not an option, or not an obstacle?

They cost €80 at face value, and as Syferus rightly said are very difficult to get. Do you have any friends or relatives living in Ireland? As a tourist without much knowledge of the game or ticket sales procedures you are more vulnerable to being scammed. A fair amount of tickets are given as corporate tickets to business chiefs and such, and then I think every player on each panel in the country is entitled to 2 all-ireland tickets (not a 100% sure whether that is 32 counties or 13) but not all of them are taken.

Last years final was about 1,000 tickets short of being capacity, but I'm sure a fair amount of the tickets that didn't go through the turnstiles were still sold.

If you are in a hotel in Dublin, near Croke Park, you may get someone selling the odd ticket in the place on the day or night before the match. Otherwise, try and get someone in Ireland to ask around, particularly if it transpires that you know someone who is living in one of the Counties involved.

This is the fixture list for the remainder of the Hurling Championship:

Sunday July 29:

All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship Quarter-Finals-

Waterford v Cork

Kilkenny v Limerick

Sunday August 12:

All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship Semi-Final 1-

Galway vs Waterford/Cork

Sunday August 19:

All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship Semi-Final 2-

Tipperary vs Kilkenny/Limerick

Sunday September 9:

All-Ireland Senior Hurling Final-

Winner Semi 1 vs Winner Semi 2

If you know anyone in these Counties, or even Ireland in general, contact them and express your interest and they may know someone who can get tickets for you.

Well now that the final is set, I would like to follow up and see if anyone can help us with 2 tickets? Or can provide us with information to help us get tickets? We are staying at The Morgan hotel the day of the game. We dont care who we support because we just want to experience the authentic feeling of being at a game and the victory or defeat of it all! We will buy jerseys and hope to fit in like a local not as tourists.

My girlfriend and I are Dallas Mavericks season ticket holders, so if you ever come to Dallas we are happy to set you up at a game!

Thank you so much,

Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Hey Michael,

As you understand, the hurling final is like the deciding match of the NBA playoffs in terms of how difficult it is to get tickets.

Bearing that in mind, many people who are connected to gaelic/hurling clubs in Ireland still won't be able to get tickets.

I'd reccommend the occasion definitely, so if you want to proceed it might take a night (before the game) and the day of searching for tickets around the city.

My tips;
    1) Have you tried contacting your local club?! http://dallasgaa.com/
    In exchange for mavericks tickets, these guys may be able to help, or know someone who could!

2) The night before, go the lobbies and bars of the following hotels;
    - The hotel your in
    - Bewleys Hotel, beside Croke Park
    - The Gresham Hotel, on O'Connell Street
    - The Westin, just opposite the Morgan.

EDIT - So that you don't get ripped off. While walking around, if you see someone in a hurling county jersey in these hotesl, they will almost certainly have a ticket. Ask them to see a real ticket so that you don't buy a fake!

The roundtrip using taxi's will take about an hour. Ask everywhere 'Spare tickets anyone?', literally say it constantly as your walking around. People are friendly towards Americans and will be intruigued as to why your attending, tell them you've come over especially for the game and if you don't get tickets, you may get numbers/contacts.

3) Get a piece of cardboard from packaging (bundled together for recycling on the side of the street) and a thick black marker, do a sign, '2 tickets wanted for the final' and walk around the city centre, o'connell street, then walk up to the ground and around Drumcondra. This method has gotten me tickets for years, including Champions League soccer Finals in Europe.

Be prepared to buy 1 ticket on the hope you'll find another.

Best of luck, hope you get to attend!

Also you'll be doing very well to get two tickets right beside each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

Tickets for the finals are not as hard to get as some make out here.

All you need to do is go around the pubs around croke park a few hours before kick off and just ask people if they have any spare tickets.
    It's never failed for me.

The only problem as already said may getting two tickets beside each other.

I thought I would post again just a couple days before we leave for beautiful Ireland!

***** WANTED: 2 TICKETS TO GAA FINALS 9/9 **********

Coming from Texas in hopes of watching game! We are staying at the Morgan Hotel.

Please let me know if anyone would let go of their tickets!

Otherwise, I will take everyone's opinion on how to find them once we are in Dublin. Thanks!

Michael

• Advertisement

I thought I would post again just a couple days before we leave for beautiful Ireland!

***** WANTED: 2 TICKETS TO GAA FINALS 9/9 **********

Coming from Texas in hopes of watching game! We are staying at the Morgan Hotel.

Please let me know if anyone would let go of their tickets!

Otherwise, I will take everyone's opinion on how to find them once we are in Dublin. Thanks!

Michael

€600 for two tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

No touting allowed.

No touting allowed.

I'm just preparing him for the real touts who will actually rip him off

• Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

OP: Just to reiterate what others have said, under no circumstances should you pay more than 80 euros for a stand ticket or 40 for a terrace ticket. Obviously it's illegal, but it probably wont be necessary either. If you are patient and keep your eyes open on the day and are willing to ask around in pubs and stuff, you should be able to get a couple of tickets at face value (and sometimes even less).

But to put it bluntly, you are an American, and people are going to assume (rightly, I think?) that you have never been to a game before. That is probably going to influence people's willingness to give you a ticket. Not to be offensive, but I certainly wouldn't give you a ticket unless everyone I knew was sorted out. Which is why you'll be more likely to get one very close to the stadium, and very close to the start time. People often find themselves stuck with tickets that they really need to off-load at that stage. That said, the last time Galway were in an All Ireland there were no tickets going spare. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

OP: Just to reiterate what others have said, under no circumstances should you pay more than 80 euros for a stand ticket or 40 for a terrace ticket. Obviously it's illegal, but it probably wont be necessary either.

It's not illegal as far as i am aware. Im 100% against it but illegal it is not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

You're right, it ain't illegal. But there is always the chance of walking up to the stiles and being refused entry. Any tickets known to be sold by touts will be cancelled.
    OP, personally I think you'll be able to find tickets on the day. I don't think being American will be a disadvantage to you. I personally love seeing foreigners attending games. I think hurling and football are completely undersold to tourists in this country. I've advised many tourists to take in a game while they're here and every one of them has loved it.
    Best of luck. I'll keep my eyes open for any tickets beside each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I'll take your word that it's not illegal, although that doesn't explain why ticket touts are always on the lookout for the Guards.

Agree very much with Hammer, I would love to see more tourists attending our games. It's a real shame that so much effort and money is put into promoting Irish culture to tourists, when that culture is often either highly superficial, or not representative of the cultural lives of actual Irish people. Yet here we have a very highly developed, massively popular part of Irish culture that is fundamental to many Irish peoples' daily lives, and most tourists are, at best, only dimly aware of it. They are certainly never aware that a match is on during a given weekend. And yes, any time I meet a tourist, or have friends visiting from abroad, I always urge them to go to a game.
    I'm just saying that as far as hurling goes, there's only one match a year that is likely to sell out Croke Park, and often times very dedicated hurling fans are left disappointed. And I would prioritise those fans over a tourist on that Sunday of all Sundays.

But as I say, I would be surprised if tickets can't be gotten that weekend, by those willing to search them out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

To be fair Realt Dearg, if someone's a very dedicated hurling fan from one of the participating counties, they've no excuse for not shelling out on a season ticket at the start of the year. If you were a Kilkenny or Galway fan, you would only have had to go to 7 of their league and championship games this year to be guaranteed a ticket for Sunday week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Locking thread, and this is the only warning to be given, any touting of tickets, even in jest, will lead to a ban until after both finals.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement