Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

cam module on ariva 210

• 24-07-2012 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

hey there,

i recently got a ferguson ariva 210 digital receiver. it has cam module capabilities which i'm sure is for pay tv.

on this box you only get now and next on the satellite epg and i was thinking if you get a freview sky card and a cam module would the epg increase to 8 days like sky have.

does anyone know if this works or could someone try it and let me know. it would save me 50 euro if it doen't work and i knew not to try it.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

No. The EPG is not presented if you have Sky card. The software that gathers the epg data is on a Sky box itself.

You also dont need a CAM to use a Sky card in the Ariva box anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 coopershels

thanks for the reply, if i connect the box to the internet through an ethernet cable is there a way of getting the epg information that way. or is there any way of getting it. is there any benefits of connecting it to the internet?

not clued up on this sort of thing, sorry.
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

thanks for the reply, if i connect the box to the internet through an ethernet cable is there a way of getting the epg information that way. or is there any way of getting it. is there any benefits of connecting it to the internet?

not clued up on this sort of thing, sorry.
    :confused:

No need to apologise. Connecting to the net will do nothing.

Most Free to Air/Combo boxes dont do 7 day epg. That's because they are proprietary to Sky and Freesat and require their products to obtain same.

The Fergusons dont do 7 day epg on satellite, just now and next. You can record via the timer.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 coopershels

thanks alot, much appreciated.

at least i know now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

STB wrote: »
    No. The EPG is not presented if you have Sky card. The software that gathers the epg data is on a Sky box itself.

You also dont need a CAM to use a Sky card in the Ariva box anyhow.

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but do 'Freesat from Sky' cards work with these receivers with the standard firmware?

And do the boxes update the entitlements or is it a case of sticking the card in a Sky box overnight every 6~8 weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's breaking the Terms and conditions (sky & NDS own the card) to use a Sky card of any kind in anything other than a Sky Box.

Also even if it works there is no assurance that it won't stop tomorrow or the card be "killed".

"Freesat from Sky" cards are also almost pointless (now that ITV. BBC, C4 etc are not encrypted) as other than in a Sky box with a PVR only subscription, which may only be generally available in UK. They exist as a marketing tactic to "win" subscribers, i.e. "puppy dog" marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

watty wrote: »
    "Freesat from Sky" cards are also almost pointless (now that ITV. BBC, C4 etc are not encrypted) as other than in a Sky box with a PVR only subscription, which may only be generally available in UK. They exist as a marketing tactic to "win" subscribers, i.e. "puppy dog" marketing.

Thanks for your opinion but I disagree, these cards allow you to view a handful of channels that are not FTA and if you can use it in a box where you can control the EPG then you're laughing.

Even just as a means to get rid of the Irish EPG off an ex sub Sky HD box they're worth the money.

Anybody have one of these cards working in a 210?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

gtg60 wrote: »
    ... these cards allow you to view a handful of channels that are not FTA and if you can use it in a box where you can control the EPG then you're laughing.

Even just as a means to get rid of the Irish EPG off an ex sub Sky HD box they're worth the money.

That's your opinion. I stated facts.

A real Freesat box isn't much more expensive than a so called "Freesat from Sky" card which you never own and can stop working tomorrow in a non-Sky box. Or be obsoleted by Sky replacement (twice already I think).

Also maybe 5 to 10 years ago an out of sub Sky box was useful. Now it's crippled by all recording / playback disabled and no way to add non-EPG HD channels.

These are even a grey import unless a Setanta / BAI card (which ought to be boycotted as that is Irish Licence Fee money subsidising a Pay TV service only meant for a Sky box).

When you get "Freesat from Sky" card you are entering a legal contract to only use it in a Sky box. The "extra channels" get less than 0.5% viewing time all added together! Hardly good value. The card still belongs to them.

In 1999 to 2006 maybe worth recommending (except it wasn't a "Freesat from Sky" card then), now you are just promoting Sky's monopolistic over priced eco-system.

Advertisement