Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD accomodaion waiting list

• 24-07-2012 4:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, applied for ucd accommodation as an undergraduate through CAO.
    Theres 728 places available and i'm 2200th on the waiting list. From experience does anybody know if I have any chance of getting it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DANCE111

Seang0 wrote: »
    Hi, applied for ucd accommodation as an undergraduate through CAO.
    Theres 728 places available and i'm 2200th on the waiting list. From experience does anybody know if I have any chance of getting it?

Last year, I was also in the late 2000's on the list, and I still got the accomodation I wanted on campus. Maybe I was lucky last year, wonder about students from previous years? There'll be lots of people ahead of you on the list, however, who either won't study in UCD, or else they decide not to live on campus anymore.

Your place on the waiting list will be adjusted after the CAO offers come out and are accepted. UCD will remove those who are no longer going to be studying at UCD, and you'll be given a new, lower number. You can check your number on the waitlist in August in the "Complete my Booking" tab in UCD SIS web.

UCD then send out emails to the UCD Connect Accounts, periodically (at the end of August after CAO offers are accepted) to give people the opportunity to go online and book their room.

Hope this helps! smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

I'm 714 on priority list so I'm sound.

I'd say you will be alrite... many people simply put down accomodation for UCD even if its there 4th/5th choice due to the fact there are no deposits/costs associated with doing this. This is in contrast to Limerick where one has to pay a deposit for instance... almost all first years in Limerick are guaranteed a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I was like 2100 I think and I got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭C14N

Just be online on the day when they're handing out the accommodation. I applied in April (not sure where I was on the list) but I was in the US when it was time to pick your place so I got to it about 10 hours behind everyone else and all that was left was Blackrock and Muckross which are both off-campus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭IslandKid

whats the story on accepting your place? i believe im number 186 or something but say i get the course i want and accept it, what do i then have to do about accomodation? ie, do i have to write and say i want to stay in UCD in a separate letter or is my confirmation of the course confirmation that i will be staying in UCD

also, if i am high up in the list does this mean i get first choice on what room exactly? or are all rooms the same

thanks!

• Advertisement

IslandKid wrote: »
    whats the story on accepting your place? i believe im number 186 or something but say i get the course i want and accept it, what do i then have to do about accomodation? ie, do i have to write and say i want to stay in UCD in a separate letter or is my confirmation of the course confirmation that i will be staying in UCD

also, if i am high up in the list does this mean i get first choice on what room exactly? or are all rooms the same

thanks!

You choose it online. They send you an email with the link to a site. It shows which places are available and who is in them already. I think you made need some CAO details to log in so make sure to have them on hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Glitter_star94

I think I'm somewhere near 1000, but when does the actual sorting out the accommodation happen? Right after offers are made? (I know it's first come first served so people lower in the list will do it later though)

Also were we sent an email after reserving a place ( i cant really remember as it wasma few months ago ) as I was trying to find a confirmation email but can't seem to find one

• Registered Users Posts: 8 murphyst17

I'm pretty confused... I've been stuck around 230-210 on the wait list for almost a month now. yet people on here continue to say that they were much higher up on the wait list in years past and still got accommodation. How? It is already august. Are so many slots going to miraculously begin to appear as we near the start of the semester?

Confused.

murphyst17 wrote: »
    I'm pretty confused... I've been stuck around 230-210 on the wait list for almost a month now. yet people on here continue to say that they were much higher up on the wait list in years past and still got accommodation. How? It is already august. Are so many slots going to miraculously begin to appear as we near the start of the semester?

Confused.

It's because results and offers haven't come out yet, and so due to ireland allowing people to apply to loads of different Irish uni's and applying for accommodation at each, in reality loads of people who applied to the UCD waiting list won't actually go, if they don't get the results or they get a uni higher in their list, so after offers come out the list should drop by quite a lot!

• Advertisement

murphyst17 wrote: »

Confused.

A lot of people back out. There's really no commitment in putting your name on a list. A lot of people who put their name down won't even go to UCD, plenty more will live in a commutable distance and their parents will make them get the bus/train instead. There are others who put their name down and decline and end up in digs or a house too.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 khan1

hey guys, I am an international postgraduate student and my waitlist number right now is 226. Do you think I'll be able to get a room by 3rd September when the programme begins?

khan1 wrote: »
    hey guys, I am an international postgraduate student and my waitlist number right now is 226. Do you think I'll be able to get a room by 3rd September when the programme begins?

There is room at UCD for over 700, so definitely!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Daisy02

Hi!

I applied for UCD accommodation in the Erasmus Undergraduates category where there are 910 places available.

I am far on the wait list since June and thus I was thinking about booking an off-campus accommodation with a girl I know but I found out a few days ago that I am now number 1 on the wait list!

I don't know what to think about it, on the one hand I really want to be on the campus but on the other hand I'm anxious not to be able to book a nice apartment if I wait to long for an offer that I may not receive!

From experience does anybody know if I have any chance of getting a room in the following days?

Thank you in advance for your advices!

I forgot to add that I asked the UCD accommodation office the same question and that they answered me it is unlikely I will receive an offer!

I'm really confused because the different posts I read were very optimistic!

Daisy02 wrote: »
    Hi!

I applied for UCD accommodation in the Erasmus Undergraduates category where there are 910 places available.

I am far on the wait list since June and thus I was thinking about booking an off-campus accommodation with a girl I know but I found out a few days ago that I am now number 1 on the wait list!

I don't know what to think about it, on the one hand I really want to be on the campus but on the other hand I'm anxious not to be able to book a nice apartment if I wait to long for an offer that I may not receive!

From experience does anybody know if I have any chance of getting a room in the following days?

Thank you in advance for your advices!

I don't really understand what the part I put in bold means :confused:

I would take the campus accommodation though over looking for an apartment. Getting off-campus accommodation as a student is difficult and I would say the fact that you're from outside the country and don't know the area will only make it worse.

I agree with you and I prefer to have a room on the campus but do you really think I will receive an offer? I am number 1 on the waiting list but the UCD accommodation office advised me to look for an off-campus accommodation so I'm confused!

I know a girl who is looking for apartments in the city center and who would like to share one with me. I don't know what to do, waiting for a room on the campus or booking an apartment with her to be sure to have something before the semester begins in case I don't receive an offer! I'm worried about not having a great accommodation if I wait too much!

I agree with you and I prefer to have a room on the campus but do you really think I will receive an offer? I am number 1 on the waiting list but the UCD accommodation office advised me to look for an off-campus accommodation so I'm confused!

I know a girl who is looking for apartments in the city center and who would like to share one with me. I don't know what to do, waiting for a room on the campus or booking an apartment with her to be sure to have something before the semester begins in case I don't receive an offer! I'm worried about not having a great accommodation if I wait too much!

Are you sure you're number 1 on the waiting list? :confused: You should double check that, if you're number 1 then you're guaranteed a spot. Alternatively, if you're sure you're first in line then the girl at the accommodation office must not have understand you correctly.

I checked like a million of times and I'm number one on the waiting list for sure! But nobody seems to cancel his room anymore those days so I'm worried about not receiving any offer by the end of the month. I'm leaving for Dublin on August 25th and I will have to take a decision between waiting for a room on the campus or looking for an off-campus accommodation to be sure to have something in case I don't receive any offer! What would you do if you were me?

I checked like a million of times and I'm number one on the waiting list for sure! But nobody seems to cancel his room anymore those days so I'm worried about not receiving any offer by the end of the month. I'm leaving for Dublin on August 25th and I will have to take a decision between waiting for a room on the campus or looking for an off-campus accommodation to be sure to have something in case I don't receive any offer! What would you do if you were me?

I'm afraid that I'm as confused as you are. When I applied for campus accommodation, I got put on a waiting list. When the Leaving Cert results came out (sometime in mid-August), the people at the top of the list got to choose their rooms first. So basically if you were first on the list you could choose any room on the whole campus.

I'm not sure if the Erasmus accommodation is booked in a different way.

I guess it might be a good idea to look around for off campus accommodation and if you find something you like, just go for it. You can stay on the waiting list until you find something else just to have a backup plan.

• Advertisement

Thank you for your explanations but I'm afraid the Erasmus accommodation works in a different way, all places in this category have already been allocated and at this stage I'm dependent upon people cancelling accommodation to get an offer myself!

I didn't know about the Leaving Cert results, it gives me hope but I'm not sure it will make things move in the Erasmus category, it only concerns Irish people no?

Anyway I still want to believe in it, it will be such a shame being number 1 on the waiting list and not receiving any offer! I give myself one more week and then I will look for an apartment in the city center for good because I'm worried about missing a good opportunity if I wait too long!

Let us cross our fingers ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 thedice

When do the accommodation offers come out? Exactly two days from when you accept your cao offer? i.e accept cao at 1034 20th, receive accommodation offer 1034 22nd

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement