Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed (yes, again, this thread)

Options
  • 23-07-2012 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I don't really bet, but as a flutter I put a bet on months ago at 50/1. That's what was advertised in the bookies (wasn't online) and that's what the agent wrote on the slip.

I won! Went to cash it in today and they're saying that it's a mistake and the odds are only really 2/1 and that's all they'll give me.

Surely that's their problem? In retail, is something is advertised at the wrong price the customer is still entitled to it at that price. There are no signs in the shop, it's like a website where you have to go through T&Cs. Do they have any right not to give me the odds I bet based on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Might be a help to tell us what the selection was?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭carman2011

generally, if its an obvious mistake, then bookies can either void it, or change it to the correct odds retrospectively....even though the price is on the slip etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭DB74

banquo wrote: »
    In retail, is something is advertised at the wrong price the customer is still entitled to it at that price.

That is completely and utterly incorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

In retail, is something is advertised at the wrong price the customer is still entitled to it at that price.
    That's incorrect.

It also doesn't matter what is written on the slip, the price you get will be what it was translated against in the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭DB74

In actual fact, a shop doesn't have to sell you an item at any price.

There is countless contract law which has established that to purchase a good, it is the customer who makes the offer to buy the good and the shop accepts (or declines) the offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Fair enough about the advertising thing, I worked in retail for a few years and that's what we were always told.

Anyway! Even though I said it to the lady a few times to definitely clarify those were the odds? The odds were the only reason I took the bet as advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Fair enough about the advertising thing, I worked in retail for a few years and that's what we were always told.

Anyway! Even though I said it to the lady a few times to definitely clarify those were the odds? The odds were the only reason I took the bet as advertised.

What exactly was the bet? It makes a difference to the answer here, if it was an abvious mistake then they are not liable.

Advertisement