Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does English sound like to non English speakers? - THIS

• 20-07-2012 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

My mind was blown.

I remember watching South Park with my gf who's from Hong Kong. It was the episode with Wing and the City Wok dude, and he was shouting at her in Chinese. Only it wasn't Chinese but just what Chinese sounds like to us. My gf found it hilarious because it was just total gibberish but almost sounded intelligible.

Turns out this dude Adriano Celantano did the same thing back in the 70's in a song, but with English. It helps that the song is absolutely kicking too...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Just watched this a few days ago! Here it is with (phonetic) subtitles. Gas.

The song is VERY catchy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Yeah, it's a great song regardless, only made sweeter by the gibberish. Really cool video too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

That is absolutely brilliant!! Is it bad that I dance like that!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

thats cool,lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

That's also what most conversations sound like to me in a busy & loud pub/nightclub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭dexter647

Sounds way ahead of it's time for the seventies...Very cool:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Who ja nick tha car off?

Sounds like somthing Jabba the Hutt would say.

Read it again.....

All I can say, is thank God English became the Lingua Franca of Science, Commerce and Popular culture (Movies/Music) I just wish we had had done a better job of keeping Irish alive alongside it like the Welsh did.

People often slag the English speaking nations for their lack of a second foreign language. ie. Why are European youth so good at English and the reverse isn't true. Whats wrong with English speakers?

Nothing to my mind. They are no more lazy than the European kids. Its just that the European kids have a far greater incentive to learn English and exposure to it. ie. Hollywood and Music. Then they have a reason to keep using it when they become adults in a wide range of jobs in science/commerce/tourist industry etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

That's strangely addictive - i've watched it 3 times so far!!! Deadly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

That's a pretty good tune, whatever about the theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Weird... I watched it twice in a row. It just sucked me right in to the point where it started to feel normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

And this is what the Cockney gangster English accent sounds like to Americans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It seems they've similar problems between Danish, Swedish and Norwegian. They can read each other's languages but they Norwegians REALLY struggle to understand Danish.

This sketch's actually pretty funny :) (It's in English with Norwegian subs)

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Cool song.

Though isn't this how a lot of music sounds to native English speakers as well - or is it just me?

Cases in point:

Whenever anyone says to me about how meaningful the lyrics of some songs are, I nod my head and say 'great for them', but I'm thinking "How could 'sea kirk stop stop we could find it in the sieve' mean anything to anyone?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I think the subtitled one is wrong. They are actually using nonsense words, not actual words. Might tweet this to David Lynch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I think the subtitled one is wrong. They are actually using nonsense words, not actual words. Might tweet this to David Lynch.

I'm pretty sure it's just their phonetic interpretation of the "words" that are being used in the song...so yeah...gibberish! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Great video, such a big production for a nonsensical song. Something about the way he dances over and back really close to that mirror while talking gibberish a minute or so into the video cracks me up every time. OLL RAIGTH!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

In Japan, English sounds like "pera, pera pera" - whch is Japanese for "blah, blah blah": :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement