Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorist fails test for 12th time, despite driving for 45 years

Options
  • 20-07-2012 10:12am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Link
    A MOTORIST who has been driving for 45 years failed his driving test for the 12th time yesterday, and slated the testing regime as unfair.

How can some drive a car for 45 years and not pass a test? How is he still on the road?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

"It is soul destroying -- I know I am a good driver. I am a very safe driver," he said.

au contraire Mr Heffernan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Wossack wrote: »
    "It is soul destroying -- I know I am a good driver. I am a very safe driver," he said.

au contraire Mr Heffernan

If he was a good driver he would have passed the test:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

...bet he still drove back from the test centre alone :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

However, Mr Heffernan would also have failed on the basis that he had four grade two faults under a single heading -- for 'observation/moving off'.

Sure what do you need that for, the other cars on the road have brakes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

It's the typical "I Am Entitled To Drive!" mentality that gets me.
    Every single person that is capable (just) of even applying for a driving licence, expects to pass the test and get a licence.
    If that is the case, why not just scrap the test and give every single person (and cat and dog while we're at it) in the country a licence?
    A test should theoretically determine whether you're fit to drive and if you fail X amount of times, maybe you should be told "Sorry, but you should not be on the road, if you cannot pass after 10 times, you're not fit to drive. You can't re-apply, here's a buss pass"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Diar

26 faults:eek:

How is he a good driver?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Hang on... He must have been one of the very first to go onto the provisional system...

Wasn't it up to about 1968 you could walk into the tax office and buy a licence?

Either way, safe driver me arse :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

Being told your not safe to drive on the roads 12 times should be a good indication that they are not safe on the road? It took him 45 years to do 12 tests? Got to love this country!

Its a shame that someone has to be killed by one of these drivers before the papers make a big deal of it and they cop on and put a limit on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

If he's driving that long how come he didn't get a licence during the amnesty in the late 70s'/Early 80s' ?????

It is obscene and wrong!
    In Germany I enrolled in a driving school and first had to pass my theory test before being let near a car. Then I would do a set minimum number of lessons, ONLY in a dual controlled car WITH a qualified, licenced instructor and only EVER in the context of a driving lesson.
    Then I did my test, failed and had to do a certain minimum amount of lessons extra before being allowed to resit my test. Passed this time (phew!) and then and only then was I allowed to sit in a car on my own and drive.
    And I was still under probation. Had I gotten any points (which I did) I would have to do a refresher course with assessment at the end that I was fit to drive (which I was, phew again!).
    Had I sat in my car with my dad and drove around with him giving me "lessons" I would have been had fro driving without licence and insurance, and he would have been had for allowing a person without a licence being in control of a car.
    THAT is how that is done, Mr Heffernan would have forced to pass his test or get very well acquainted with public transport.
    The German system makes you appreciate the privilege of being allowed to drive, rather than moan about the fact that someone wants to take away your God given entitlement to be on the road.
    HOW IS THAT DIPSTICK DRIVING???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Everyone I know on a learner permit drives alone..no issues one girl driving a year before me still hasn't passed (driving since 04)...she went to do her test recently and said "I don't care, just need to do it to get another permit"...beggars belief

In the UK, Australia and probably most first world countries they wouldn't dream of getting behind the wheel unaccompanied!

..and lets be fair the Irish take on the Full Licence is a pretty simple test in comparison to the countries above...not as easy to get as it was 10 years ago, but you still don't have to jump through hoops like Australia.:cool:

If he's driving that long how come he didn't get a licence during the amnesty in the late 70s'/Early 80s' ?????

too lazy to fill in the form I reckon...if hes only done 12 tests in 45 years that says it all,.

Sure it'll be grand..:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

'Twas October 1979, see this post of mine in an old thread.

This guy has allegedly been driving since 1967 (45 years ago), but I too strongly suspect he only started accumulating Provisional licences fairly recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

The gards should be targetting him so that if he turns a wheel unaccompanied, he gets booked. He didn't fail the test marginally, he failed it quite badly. Did he ever take any lessons I wonder?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Driving, just like most things requires talent or skill.
    If you lack that talent/skill you should walk or take public transport.

Fair to say that this guy lacks the talent/skill to drive a car and should not be near a steering wheel.

There should be a limit on the amount of tests a person can take. Fail 5 times, sorry, you are just not capable and you probably never will.
    You can fail a test once maybe twice due to bad luck but not 12 times.

corktina wrote: »
    The gards should be targetting him so that if he turns a wheel unaccompanied, he gets booked. He didn't fail the test marginally, he failed it quite badly. Did he ever take any lessons I wonder?

Fiddy bucks he didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Hes probably never had a proper driving lesson in his life.
    And just drove around the same way everyone else doea during his test....one hand on the wheel...laxy-daisy .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

It is obscene and wrong!
    In Germany I enrolled in a driving school and first had to pass my theory test before being let near a car. Then I would do a set minimum number of lessons, ONLY in a dual controlled car WITH a qualified, licenced instructor and only EVER in the context of a driving lesson.
    Then I did my test, failed and had to do a certain minimum amount of lessons extra before being allowed to resit my test. Passed this time (phew!) and then and only then was I allowed to sit in a car on my own and drive.
    And I was still under probation. Had I gotten any points (which I did) I would have to do a refresher course with assessment at the end that I was fit to drive (which I was, phew again!).
    Had I sat in my car with my dad and drove around with him giving me "lessons" I would have been had fro driving without licence and insurance, and he would have been had for allowing a person without a licence being in control of a car.
    THAT is how that is done, Mr Heffernan would have forced to pass his test or get very well acquainted with public transport.
    The German system makes you appreciate the privilege of being allowed to drive, rather than moan about the fact that someone wants to take away your God given entitlement to be on the road.
    HOW IS THAT DIPSTICK DRIVING???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, you also get a tub of this free when you go to pay for the lessions:
    5a7eff9bfcedbe7cc0da926b96fce498

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Wasn't there a licensing amnesty anyway back in the 80s ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

That is not to say a licence means you can drive. Most idiots I see on the road do not have L plates up. As I've said before I passed a driving test that did not involve going about 60 km/h FFS

You need to renew your licence every 10 years. IMO every driver should have to resit the test at least as often

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The threatening of legal action should get him a bank like it would if you did the same on boards

• Advertisement

That is not to say a licence means you can drive.

True, but at least it should filter out the worst clowns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I need to see that test result sheet!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

You need to renew your licence every 10 years. IMO every driver should have to resit the test at least as often

I think this would be seen as a money making exercise.

What about all the non Irish license holders living in Ireland ?

Tallon wrote: »
    I need to see that test result sheet!
    He failed on:

Position:
    Stopping -
    Grade2

Observation:
    moving Off -
    Grade2
    Grade2
    Grade2
    Grade2

Mirrors:
    Turning Left -
    Grade1
    Grade1

Signals:
    Changing lane -
    Grade2

At Roundabouts -
    Grade1
    Grade1
    Grade2

Vehicle Controls:
    Clutch -
    Grade1
    Grade1
    Grade2

Gears -
    Grade1
    Grade1
    Grade2

Handbrake -
    Grade1
    Grade1
    Grade2

Speed:
    Speed limit -
    Grade2

Traffic Controls:
    Road Markings -
    Grade2
    Grade2

:eek:

Does he even have eyes,ears,arms and legs?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

If he was a good driver he would have passed the test:rolleyes:.

I agree that there's something amiss here with this guy and the test.

But the Irish test - an 'NCT' for drivers - isn't a driving skills test at all. It's merely being able to demonstrate your ability to do what you're told. Driving skills, per se, don't come into it.

Having just gone back and passed my truck test last year, and my last driving test of any kind being in 1988, I still believe that to be the case.

No excuses for not learning 'how to pass' after 12 attempts, though, either. There really should be no clause to allow you to drive 'ad nauseam' on a permanent series of Provisionals though. After x attempts, you should get a bar of some kind.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Even though driving tests are run at a net cost to the State.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Tallon wrote: »
    He failed on:

Position:
    Stopping -
    Grade2

Observation:
    moving Off -
    Grade2
    Grade2
    Grade2
    Grade2

Mirrors:
    Turning Left -
    Grade1
    Grade1

Signals:
    Changing lane -
    Grade2

At Roundabouts -
    Grade1
    Grade1
    Grade2

Vehicle Controls:
    Clutch -
    Grade1
    Grade1
    Grade2

Gears -
    Grade1
    Grade1
    Grade2

Handbrake -
    Grade1
    Grade1
    Grade2

Speed:
    Speed limit -
    Grade2

Traffic Controls:
    Road Markings -
    Grade2
    Grade2

:eek:

Where did you get that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Stark wrote: »

Even though driving tests are run at a net cost to the State.

The standard of driving on the roads is appalling. Anything that can improve it might be worth a try

Seeing as you'd already have a licence there'd be nothing to stop you being taken on a motorway. Life time ban for sitting in middle lane or crawling along at 60K

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    Where did you get that?

RAYM-532_1550995a.jpg

Advertisement