Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland Records

Options
  • 19-07-2012 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

I'm up to my neck in genealogical mud now. Can I access Northern Ireland records anywhere down here or do I have to take the train to PRONI? I don't have enough detail to order by post either, everything is very sketchy at this stage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

What type type of records are you looking for at PRONI ?

They only have a few collections on line - for the others like parish records you have to visit.

The online sources I know of are the Will extracts and Calenders, street directories, and details of the 1912 covenant...

(Note the Will Calenders also include records for parts of counties in ROI - i.e. Donegal, Cavan etc)

p.s. if it's BMD certs you are interested in it's GRONI ...

Details of Civil records for Northern Ireland are included in the BMD Index on FamilySearch - but only up to end of 1921. For records after this you have to visit GRONI to search for and order BMD certs. I believe FamilySearch may have films of the N.I. Index books after this date, but they seem to be difficult to get hold of.

For certs for N.I. counties before 1922 you dont have to use GRONI - Dublin or Roscommon will have copies. You can order certs on the GRONI website but you need fairly specific details. e.g. for a birth - date +/- 2yrs, address, father's name etc - I'm not sure how much searching they will do...

A tender has recently gone out re making N.I. civil records available online - similar to the ScotlandsPeople website, probably using cut-off dates like SP. The tender mentions a go-live date of the end of 2013...

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thanks for all that information shanew. Its BMD's I want pre-1922, and unfortunately, damn all to go on too, just the county and a name.

Advertisement