Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Pretty typical of the person in question. Of course we're still paying her the expenses for these un-ticketed trips.

Fair play to him for not backing down in the face of the wagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

the typical "do you know who I am" syndrome, was it.

good on the inspector for going ahead and charging her.

The sooner the jumped up politicians realize that they are joe soaps like the rest of us but with bigger mouths, the better.

:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

That was a disgraceful and immature performance by the Senator.

I really cannot stand people who pull rank with and give a hard time to those who are just doing their job.

Glad to see he issued a ticket regardless.

Suggest you supply full detail to the newspapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Who was it?. Given that it happened in plain view on a train, surely its no secret?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

You should have told her that rules are rules. I'm sure if you stood up to her you would have gotten a round of applause from the other passengers. People like her need to realise that the rest of us 'joe soaps' are fed up with her kind taking liberties. Did the ticket inspector back down or stand his ground? Fair play to that guy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Appalling behaviour. Clearly there is a large gulf between her perception of the importance of being a senator, and the perception of the population at large. If anything, rather than publicly announcing the fact, she should be mildly embarrassed at getting paid from the public purse to hold a meaningless position in a toothless talking shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,889 ✭✭✭✭Stark

She'll probably claim the fine as a travel expense.

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

ring the paper and report the ****,get her sacked,who is it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I was on the train to Dublin yesterday morning when a well known female senator from Oranmore got on in Athenry. Ticket inspector comes along asks her for her ticket. She had no ticket. She then announces that she is a 'Senator' and that she 'makes' the law.

The inspector dude was bemused as it looked like he hadnt a clue who she was. The standard thing for having no ticket on the train is a fine of 100 euro and the guy slapped her with the fine. Same as any other Joe Soap who would be fare dodging. Obviously she doesnt think that she is a 'Joe Soap.'

She took bloody strips off him though. Bloody sickened me. If this is the type of person in Seanad Eireann I truly despair. Things are bloody bad enough.

Rant over, but it was a bloody poor performance in public, by someone who should know better.

I think you should name her too.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

fidelity really themes?

• Advertisement

Pity you didn't get a video on your phone. It'd make for great YouTube footage. :-D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

FG are having a difficult week. This they do not need

Enda may feel like swinging the axe - like now, in time for the Sunday papers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'd contact a paper or two, tell them you saw it, give them the time it happened, if you can remember your carriage number even better.

She should be hung out to dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fago

Ddad wrote: »
    fidelity really themes?
    I think you mean Fidelity Really Screams, which is what I used to think when the puff pieces would be in the local papers, quoting the same person.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭squonk

That'd be her who proposed the brilliantly insightful move to time limit PS3's and X-Boxes operating times in a previous Non-Techie Holding Forth On Things They Know Nothing About shocker.

Did she apologise to the ticket agent? He's certainly due an apology for being in the right and doing his job in the face of such abuse. At the end of the day she's getting a free trip anyway and, like those who use travel passes, a ticket must be acquired before a passenger gets onto the train. Yes, it's a bit meaningless and an annoyance for those who use the passes but rules are rules. I think those who have travel passes are delighted with the privelege. I really think that the day a public servant uses the 'Do You Know Who I Am' line is the day said public servant has outlived their usefulness and needs to be ejected from their position.

Seaneh wrote: »
    I'd contact a paper or two, tell them you saw it, give them the time it happened, if you can remember your carriage number even better.

She should be hung out to dry.

Get the details out on Twitter also. She deserves to be made an example. Her behaviour was simply apalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Loved the story of the bouncer marching a celebrity who was giving out the 'Do you know who I am' line in a nightclub queue to the mainstage of the venue and announced over the P.A. that this 'was a guy who didn't know who he was, could anybody else there help him?'.

Shame the same thing couldn't be done to this individual, though of course the circumstances differ.
    & surely if this individual does make the rules she should abide by them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I was on the train to Dublin yesterday morning when a well known female senator from Oranmore got on in Athenry. Ticket inspector comes along asks her for her ticket. She had no ticket. She then announces that she is a 'Senator' and that she 'makes' the law.

The inspector dude was bemused as it looked like he hadnt a clue who she was. The standard thing for having no ticket on the train is a fine of 100 euro and the guy slapped her with the fine. Same as any other Joe Soap who would be fare dodging. Obviously she doesnt think that she is a 'Joe Soap.'

She took bloody strips off him though. Bloody sickened me. If this is the type of person in Seanad Eireann I truly despair. Things are bloody bad enough.

Rant over, but it was a bloody poor performance in public, by someone who should know better.

She'll be on to Iarnród Éireann in due course to see that Ticket inspectors get chips implanted in their heads to prevent the questioning of a senator.

It worked with microsoft when she tried it with her "games chip"

Beware the double barrel folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭board_stiff

Will someone with a twitter account please ask her if she was fined yesterday on a train for not presenting a valid ticket?

Not implying the OP is making it up I would just like to she how/if she responds

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

well her mobile number and email are on her website.............................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

She should have been ejected at Attymon, that would larn her.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I don't use twitter, but if anyone is so inclined...
    https://twitter.com/senhealyeames

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Ficheall wrote: »
    I don't use twitter, but if anyone is so inclined...
    https://twitter.com/senhealyeames

I loled....... most recent tweet........

Fidelma Healy Eames ‏@senhealyeames Know your entitlements: Open publication – Free publishing – More entitlements http://bit.ly/NRUoQM

Since when do you get a fine for not having a ticket, I often bought a ticket from the inspector when he was going around.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Sheriffz

I had a similar experience with another figure in Irish politics during the Ocean Race.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭i_steal_sheep

mikom wrote: »
    I loled....... most recent tweet........

Fidelma Healy Eames ‏@senhealyeames Know your entitlements: Open publication – Free publishing – More entitlements http://bit.ly/NRUoQM

I lashed her off an auld tweet there, in response to her own sense of entitlement. It got deleted within 2 minutes...

Since when do you get a fine for not having a ticket, I often bought a ticket from the inspector when he was going around.
    It's pretty simple. If you get on without a ticket you get the attention of the conductor as they pass and request to purchase a suitable ticket which they can sell to you at their discretion on the basis you got on without one with the intention to purchase onboard. On the other hand if you go off on one about not needing a ticket because you're a Senator then you're clearly trying to avoid paying and deserve the €100 fine.

I lashed her off an auld tweet there, in response to her own sense of entitlement. It got deleted within 2 minutes...

Mine hasn't been deleted so far.... nor replied to either mind you but at least it seems to be still there!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭i_steal_sheep

squonk wrote: »
    Mine hasn't been deleted so far.... nor replied to either mind you but at least it seems to be still there!

It's gone now though, aint it?

• Advertisement

I got done before. If there is a guy selling tickets in the station and even if there are ticket machines at the station they do ya I think.

Fare enough. :pac:

True maybe although there might be an element of discretion allowed too in that if you are apologetic (like you were in a hurry and barely made the train of something) they might let you buy a ticket. I've usually seen that. What I have seen is those who gave the guy a hard time or looked like they were chancing it getting done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement