Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling forum Raid Pyrénéen trip 2012

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Ok, one of the lightest at 71kg but I'm only small. I've reconsidered buying a compact due to financial constrants. The lidl bike has served me well on my previous tours and is unused since last July. There's still the option of putting the triple on the LOOK. The key to a good tour is pace, I'm a very poor climber and unfortunately ROK ON there's gonna a be a couple of long, long days but we'll be doing it in unfamiliar country so it won't be such a bummer. Last year I spent something like 16 hours and there was panic at the end as it was getting dark. On the point of getting dark, I think a set of lights should be on the list just in case.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

im 88kg, and bringing an ipod for the long days in the saddle. Lots of random music, and a camera. Pacing will most definately be critical. Any previous mentions of ATTACK have been made with tounge firmly in cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

captain bring the look and try fit the compact to it, be pity not bring your best bike to do the job.

First time with scales under 80kg this morning, would be nice to be about 78-78.5kg for the trip. Im riding in the slieve bloom this weekend then plan some light work now for next 3weeks hopefully the work iv put in has paid off.

Like ROK on anything above 10% for a long distance is a fight for me and some of climbs in pyrennes change gradient quiet a bit so finding a rhythm can be difficult.

lennymc wrote: »
    im 88kg, and bringing an ipod for the long days in the saddle. Lots of random music, and a camera. Pacing will most definately be critical. Any previous mentions of ATTACK have been made with tounge firmly in cheek.

in the ultimate irony i will attack you.

manafana wrote: »
    in the ultimate irony i will attack you.

bring it on :)

• Advertisement

lennymc wrote: »
    bring it on :)

My Plan is to wheel suck till the red bit then launch my attack.Col-du-Tourmalet-Luz-St-Sauveur_profile.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

We were saying that with Idleater.. we need to pick a climb and go all out. I am still ignorant of where we are going to stay, do we have any mountain finishes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

There is no chance whatsoever of me spending 16. Hours on the bike on one day. None. If I did, then very simply it would impair my ability to do the following day.
    I have done a few long distance back to back events. My preference is for and early start and early finish, but that's just me.
    I only really see it being an issue on day 3. On that I plan to do c. 100km in morning. Take a break to get out of early afternoon sun, and then do 100km late afternoon/early evening.
    Like Lenny I plan on taking an iPod. My one experience of long climbs is that unless you can occupy your mind (away from suffering) that they can be a dark and lonely place.

For day three I will be wearing my brand new Sufferest jersey.

AstraMonti wrote: »
    We were saying that with Idleater.. we need to pick a climb and go all out. I am still ignorant of where we are going to stay, do we have any mountain finishes?

i think all stops are lower slopes, i think day 4 might be a good day to give a climb a good go, knowing day 5 wont make you pay for your efforts,i will try do tourmalet without getting off too, iv gotten back my mp3 player too which i will be using, also recommend buying sweat proof earphones so they last the trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

No mountain finishes.
    Day 1,2 and 3 all finish on descents following a final climb.
    Day 1 is a 10 km descent and would seem technical. Day 2 is 15km and other than a hairpin, reasonably untechnical. Day 3 is a long descent.
    Having seen Idleeater snap a pack of about 20 going up Glenmacnass on MIck Byrne, if he attacks I will probably let him at it.
    (By probably, I mean certainly).

• Advertisement

manafana wrote: »
    My Plan is to wheel suck till the red bit then launch my attack.Col-du-Tourmalet-Luz-St-Sauveur_profile.jpg

My plan is to allow manafana wheelsuck until the red bit then launch my attack.

motivator2612578.jpg

i predict a riot

Mark-Renshaw-Expelled-From-Tour-de-France-For-Headbutting-Julian-Dean-595x428.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Day 2 and day 4.
    I enjoyed my 80km solo spin up and around the Sally gap yesterday evening at 28kmph average.
    The tourmalet is just like the Sally gap. Any one who says otherwise keep it to your good self and leave me in my ignorance. I'm perfectly adept at failing miserably and continuing regardless :-D

Oh and my compact granny ring arrived yesterday will post in the credit card thread when I weigh it.

3weeks today so, starting lighten the cycling now and tick over, hopefully lose little more weight.

now im enjoying watching the pros do it before we climb for real, they are doing a lot of climbs we will be on in next week or so, and think they are doing tourmalet from same side as us.

yeah - i cant wait. My plan initially was to take the week before off, but the leinster three day is on 16th/17th/ and 18th so i might do that.

will be good to see the pros go up the mountains. Will be better to go up them ourselves.
    Dont forget manafana, ATTACK!! ATTACK!! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Anyone out tonight?
    Tried gmail but not sure it worked. Only went to Coastwatch I think.

Sure, what time?

Eh, say, 6pm. Goldenballs. I'm flexi.

Cool, see you there.

• Advertisement

Check.

Planet X wrote: »
    Goldenballs

is that astra's new nickname?

Check.

Enjoyed the spin tonight Astra. Cheers. Good fun........
    Good luck with the Hill TT.
    Luck after that knee..........

Anyone up for some swimming...eeehhh cycling tomorrow?

Anyone up for some swimming...eeehhh cycling tomorrow?

were will you be swimming and what time will you start? tomorrow should be light rain only, but plenty flooding after today no doubt.

Anyone up for some swimming...eeehhh cycling tomorrow?[/Quote.

Could be persuaded alright.

ill be heading out around drogheda if anyone is up that way.

Goldenballs around 9-9:30? 100-120k depending on the weather.

• Advertisement

A possibility.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement