Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling forum Raid Pyrénéen trip 2012

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

31 degrees. Ye'll be a sweatin' like a whore on a cowboys payday! lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Hi lads, not been following the last 50 pages of stuff but done the Raid in 2011 from west to east and it was fantastic. All the best esp to my county man -Captain!
    Any general advice? Start no later than 8-8.30am everyday

More specifically , not sure what gearing you`re all planning to ride but here`s my tuppence worth; I`m not too bad a climber and was! 70-71kg -6ft odd. Never use anything more than 39/23-25 anywhere here in ireland
    SO
    I used 34-25. Plenty& perfect for all climbs EXCEPT 4km of the Marie Blanc. I nearly exploded and it slaps you in the gob with 170 k in your legs.
    Paddy (velopeleton) told us the year they used it in the Etape only the first few hundred got over without dismounting. Best to have one you dont use than to be lookin for one thats not there.

Anyboby want ask anything else i`ll reply if i have clue

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

TheDocMan wrote: »
    Hi lads, not been following the last 50 pages of stuff but done the Raid in 2011 from west to east and it was fantastic. All the best esp to my county man -Captain!
    Any general advice? Start no later than 8-8.30am everyday

More specifically , not sure what gearing you`re all planning to ride but here`s my tuppence worth; I`m not too bad a climber and was! 70-71kg -6ft odd. Never use anything more than 39/23-25 anywhere here in ireland
    SO
    I used 34-25. Plenty& perfect for all climbs EXCEPT 4km of the Marie Blanc. I nearly exploded and it slaps you in the gob with 170 k in your legs.
    Paddy (velopeleton) told us the year they used it in the Etape only the first few hundred got over without dismounting. Best to have one you dont use than to be lookin for one thats not there.

Anyboby want ask anything else i`ll reply if i have clue

Enjoy

yeah marie blanc stood out for me, any other part of lcimbs you found hard? how did you find stopping for water when it was hot

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I panic packed last night, some odd thing including a group set and bar tape. There's an adidas schoolbag in the camper, it has pretty much all the tools you need to do most jobs, there's also spare cables, brakes and about 10 tubes in there so no need to panic on that one.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

The 410 Raiders might be interested in the perfect sock for part of your route http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CLSOCDT/save_our_soles_col_du_tourmalet_coolmax_socks . In case you get lost it even has the latitude and longitude (42.55 N 0.99 E) on the sole :D

Warning - they may not be the luckiest of items as I was wearing a pair when I had my spill last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

so, ive been watching the last couple of days TDF with interest, looking for tips, tricks, pointers etc. Anything to give me an edge in the pyrenees. All I could come up with was sideburns.

lennymc wrote: »
    so, ive been watching the last couple of days TDF with interest, looking for tips, tricks, pointers etc. Anything to give me an edge in the pyrenees. All I could come up with was sideburns.

well my plan is too wait for my team leader even thou im the strongest climber and too show off by talking on my phone ande holding handlebars with one hand why guy behind me fights for my wheel. my new name is hofdog

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

lennymc wrote: »
    You obviously haven't been paying attention, you need a Froome not side burns :-)
    I've no issue taking on that role , however without race radio I'm liable not to hear team orders to return to the leader. :-) you'll have to give me the look me when I blow up 1km further up the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

attack.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭velopeloton

Best of luck to everyone, hope you have a great trip.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

In order to make the bike lighter on the climbs and to reach maximum speed on the descents, I've removed my brakes :D

Astra, do you still look like a terrorist, if so please play with your phone while speaking Greek on the plane, should be fun.

In order to make the bike lighter on the climbs and to reach maximum speed on the descents, I've removed my brakes :D

Astra, do you still look like a terrorist, if so please play with your phone while speaking Greek on the plane, should be fun.

sounds like somethings astra would do.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I spent 10 years in Riyadh so I can start screaming Arabic. You guys on for this?

Planet X wrote: »
    I spent 10 years in Riyadh so I can start screaming Arabic. You guys on for this?
    Durka durka, Mohammed jihad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Sorry beard is no more...

team-america-team-america-arabic-language-lesson-demotivational-poster-1268629583.jpg

I'm gonna put in a final plea here: sponsor me because the charity I'm raising money for is super awesome and stuff. Seriously though proper end of life care is something that can give a lot of relief for family and patients. Unless a patient lives close to a hospice they will be separated from their families, families are also under constant pressure to care for the patient. Home care teams are over-stretched. There are no hospices in Kilkenny or any of the surrounding counties so it's not just for Kilkenny.

Click on this link if you want to sponsor me.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Sean02

Hi I,m looking for informed opinions. 2012 tour planned for end August. Anglet,Oloron, jaca,trempt etc to Barcelona. my main concern is what col to enter Spain. Drove to tunnel on Somport recently was not impressed by heavy trucks sharing very narrow road, Next I considered Col Pierre st Martin .CTC reports it much quiter but a much tougher climb. Then to the left of Somport is Col Pudalac (spelling ?). This again is described as very senic with minimal traffic.with least steepest gradient. At 67 and totally dependant on Granny gear most of the time I would welcome your opinions by thread or IM. Gracias Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭velopeloton

Col du Portalet would be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭gearoidkerry

Hi all having been following yer story with interest as my sel and my brother doing same in September.just wanted to say the very best to yea all:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

Bon Journay Raideurs!!

We got into Biarritz and decided to get a taxi to Hendaye. There was a bit of a prologue this evening with Lenny attacking. We covered 8 km or so in 24 minutes, Idleater, Lennymc, manafana and myself, Hendaye to across the river into Spain, around town over there and back. Weather is fairly hot. Early rise to discuss tactics tomorrow, we're breakfasting at 7 and plan on leaving Hendaye at 8, 200km will prove difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Bon route!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

Vas-y les Raideurs Quatre Cent Dix! Bonne chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Day 1. My plan is to attack the breakfast buffet.
    Nom nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

Enjoy yourselves guys, best of luck.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Passed through Hendaye myself yesterday, cycling to San Sebastian.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Have a blast lads. 410FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

C'mon lads

F5
    F5
    F5.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭g0g

Hope today went well and the rest of the trip does too! like many on here I've been following the thread with great interest the past few months so am really looking forward to reading some reports, seeing some photos and (most importantly!) looking at Strava uploads!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement