Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motorbike parking (overnight) at Heuston Station, Dublin

Options
  • 05-07-2012 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Has anyone here left their bike overnight at Heuston? Just wondering if it is safe enough, are there bike railings or anything to tie up to? Heading to Ennis on Saturday and can't bring the bike down, but don't have time to take public transport to Heuston, and a taxi might be cutting it a bit fine.

Any thoughts?

MJS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

There are some railings to chain the bike to. The main entrance is locked over night and has a security chap manning them all night, so I cant imagine chancers in a van will be able to gain access.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

There are some railings to chain the bike to. The main entrance is locked over night and has a security chap manning them all night, so I cant imagine chancers in a van will be able to gain access.

Cheers for that, puts my mind at ease. Without meaning to be too cheeky... is it, eh, free?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Yes its free. The cycle/motorbike section is separate from the pay & display section of the carpark.

Yes its free. The cycle/motorbike section is separate from the pay & display section of the carpark.

Perfect. Again, much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Are there many/any of these cycle combined with motorcycle sections? free or otherwise in town? (Dublin town that is)

Also, recommendations for locking a bike up generally?
    I have a disc lock and where possible lock the back wheel to something.
    Am I being over cautious?? I've heard of a few instances of someone just popping in somewhere only to come out and find the bike just gone!? presumably just lifted into a van? whether these are true or horror stories I dont know.

• Advertisement

Merch wrote: »
    Are there many/any of these cycle combined with motorcycle sections? free or otherwise in town? (Dublin town that is)

On the rare occassions I'm leaving the bike in town for any considerable length of time, I'd usually park it here. Otherwise I'll find a piece of wide footpath where it isn't blocking anyone or anything and leave it there.

Merch wrote: »
    Also, recommendations for locking a bike up generally?
    I have a disc lock and where possible lock the back wheel to something.
    Am I being over cautious?? I've heard of a few instances of someone just popping in somewhere only to come out and find the bike just gone!? presumably just lifted into a van? whether these are true or horror stories I dont know.

I generally just use a disk lock when I'm out and about, but chain the back wheel at night-time. Hasn't stopped them popping my barrel twice in the last year (grrrr) and I've heard plenty stories of bikes being lifted onto vans. A couple of years back there were three or four taken in a row at Skerries, and they were parked side by side.

You can't be overcautious. Use as much common sense as you can and say a few novena's. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

My bike isnt that expensive, but that doesnt mean i can afford to have someone lift it,
    It's gotten into my head though, what happens if you come back to the bike and someone is at it??
    I guess I'd call the gardai quick and tell them I'm going to get stuck in so hurry?? even if my intention is to delay the guys so the Gardai can pick them up, if thats a likely prospect, or the Gardai get there and im on the floor and still no bike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

OP, if you have to park there, try to park the bike away from high traffic areas.

I frequented Hueston when I was commuting for work and the amount of times I saw people "squeezing" past scooters (never actually saw a bike parked in the cycle area) and causing damage was unreal. Maybe put a cover over the bike?

OP, if you have to park there, try to park the bike away from high traffic areas.

I frequented Hueston when I was commuting for work and the amount of times I saw people "squeezing" past scooters (never actually saw a bike parked in the cycle area) and causing damage was unreal. Maybe put a cover over the bike?

I don't think I'll have time for a cover to be honest, I'll be in a serious rush to make the train. I'll lock it up and keep it out of people's way as much as possible. It's a Saturday evening so shouldn't be too many people around to scratch it. My last bike was knocked over by an over-eager cyclist, caused a massive dent in the tank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Probably a bit late, but there's a concert on in the Phoenix park on saturday evening, might be more people than normal about heuston station!

colm_c wrote: »
    Probably a bit late, but there's a concert on in the Phoenix park on saturday evening, might be more people than normal about heuston station!

Yeah there were plenty of people around, but very few seemed to be cycling! Got the bike parked grand in with the bicycles and collected it today no hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭rubadubduba

here is a little tip when i leave my bike locked up overnight somewhere, i take off the front levers brake and clutch, it stops anyone wanting to drive off.

Advertisement