Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with this healthy lifestyle vs. diet

Options
  • 24-05-2012 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm going on holidays in 17 weeks time. I am curently 226 pounds (approx 16 stone). I would like to be 14 stone before my holiday. This means getting down to 196.

So I need to lose 30 pounds in 17 weeks. Is it possible?

I'm male, 5'11". I have some muscle, but I'm confident that I definitley have over 2 stone of fat - hence the target weight. I'm trying healthy eating, but its tricky. Sugary foods, pastries, chocolate are my downfall.

I exercise 5 days a week (not weekends) - running on threadmill some days. Astroturf other days. At the moment, this is my diet, and accoring to the scales I am losing one pound a week

Breakfast: 2 Shredded Wheat biscuits

Lunch: Brown breand tuna sandwich

Snack: 2 apples

Dinner: Readymade microwave dinner (not 'wholesome' - but it helps me keep my portions down).

However I seem to be generally hungry all day and it's starting to annoy me! Some nights I have a MASSIVE bowl of cornflakes just before I go to bed because I don't want to go to sleep hungry!

I am reluctant to add more calories because I will lose less weight. I am thinking of trying atkins again, but I only lasted a week on that before, and I hated it.

So my question is: How can I reach my target weight on time - yet not feel hungry all day? :confused:

Help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

ripcord wrote: »
    Dinner: Readymade microwave dinner (not 'wholesome' - but it helps me keep my potions down).

They must be some nasty potions if you can keep them down with a horrible microwave dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭ripcord

boomtown84 wrote: »
    They must be some nasty potions if you can keep them down with a horrible microwave dinner!

:D Corrected! I'll admit "microwave dinners" sounds bad. I should call them "ready-made meals". Most of the ones I get are actually very nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

:D Corrected! I'll admit "microwave dinners" sounds bad. I should call them "ready-made meals". Most of the ones I get are actually very nice!

Replace nice, with bad. :p

Seriously though, you're not getting near enough protein by the looks of it! You'll have to be much more specific with regard to this meal and potions thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

So I need to lose 30 pounds in 17 weeks. Is it possible?

Yes it is...but it'll require a lot of work and effort. Your diet and exercise plan need some adjustments, I don't have time at the moment, but if no one has helped by later this evening i'll throw an eye over it.

In the meantime have a read of the nutrition stickies, which in itself should help throw some light on things for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Re. the microwave dinners - to be fair, some are better than others - e.g., I eat Cully & Sully chicken casserole the odd night for a treat, here are the ingredients - I think I could be doing a lot worse?

OP I don't know how you keep going for the day on Shredded Wheat and a sandwich! :eek: You don't say otherwise, but I assume you work normal daytime hours? Shouldn't you be getting most of your calories in at breakfast and lunch, when you actually need the energy? And then a light evening meal.

Scrambled eggs for breakfast only take a couple of minutes in the microwave, and will keep you going for much longer, especially if you throw in some veg/chicken/etc as well.

• Advertisement

Fizman wrote: »
    Replace nice, with bad. :p

Seriously though, you're not getting near enough protein by the looks of it! You'll have to be much more specific with regard to this meal and potions thing.

There a loads of different readymade meals you can get nowadays. I prefer these because I know exactly how many calories I'm eating. Also, if I make dinner from scratch, I tend to make way too much - so the readymade meals help keep me to keep the portion size respectable. Hope that makes sense. I suppose I could work on making my dinners the correct sizes - but of course I tried to take the easy way out :o

Re. the microwave dinners - to be fair, some are better than others - e.g., I eat Cully & Sully chicken casserole the odd night for a treat, here are the ingredients - I think I could be doing a lot worse?

OP I don't know how you keep going for the day on Shredded Wheat and a sandwich! :eek: You don't say otherwise, but I assume you work normal daytime hours? Shouldn't you be getting most of your calories in at breakfast and lunch, when you actually need the energy? And then a light evening meal.

Scrambled eggs for breakfast only take a couple of minutes in the microwave, and will keep you going for much longer, especially if you throw in some veg/chicken/etc as well.

I work normal 9 to 5. I'm sitting at a computer all day, so I reckon I don't need that much energy to keep going. I am thinking of doing exercise in the morning, so I will probably need to change the breakfast...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

There a loads of different readymade meals you can get nowadays. I prefer these because I know exactly how many calories I'm eating. Also, if I make dinner from scratch, I tend to make way too much - so the readymade meals help keep me to keep the portion size respectable. Hope that makes sense. I suppose I could work on making my dinners the correct sizes - but of course I tried to take the easy way out :o

I'd be more concerned with the ingredients of the readymade meals, though, than the calories. Especially if, as you say, you're aiming for a healthy lifestyle versus a diet.

For dinner, it's easier than you'd think to control portion sizes. Buy meat in bulk, and weigh out and freeze in advance, so that you just need to thaw one pre-measured portion the night before. Most veg is very filling but low in calories, so you don't need to worry much at all about portion sizes (spinach is fantastic in any dinner, in my opinion!) And that's all you need really, meat and veg, then throw in whatever spices and herbs you fancy. If you like tomatos, passata is a fantastic base for any sauce.

Also, if you make too much dinner, just get in the habit of freezing/refrigerating portions - don't feel like you have to eat it all there and then!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

In fairness I know exactly where you come from, I still tend to use them from time to time.

You definitely need more protein though, particularly in your early part of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Scrambled eggs for breakfast only take a couple of minutes in the microwave,

They don't agree with me when I have them before my porriage, I would be on the pot all day so had to cut them out of my diet in the mornings. I put banana and youghart into my porridge instead of milk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭tattykitty

Breakfast: 2 Shredded Wheat biscuits

Lunch: Brown breand tuna sandwich

Snack: 2 apples

Dinner: Readymade microwave dinner (not 'wholesome' - but it helps me keep my portions down).

However I seem to be generally hungry all day and it's starting to annoy me! Some nights I have a MASSIVE bowl of cornflakes just before I go to bed because I don't want to go to sleep hungry!

I'd be very grumpy and faint if I ate as little as you do...and I'm a 10st 4lb, 5' 4" female! (Granted, I'm a bit of a chubster, but still. :p)

Losing a pound a week is a good steady way to keep off the weight, but if you're eating in a manner that you don't consider a permanent change, the weight will creep back on as soon as you revert back to your "normal" way of eating. Better to overhaul your eating properly and be in it for the long haul, I think. :)

I don't think you mentioned whether you drank alcohol? That's a big source of my calorie woes...about 200cals in a pint of beer, 160 in a regular glass of wine (approx) is worth remembering and taking into account.

I'm not a nutritionist or any kind of expert (though I did successfully lose five stone a few years ago and have kept it off), but I would recommend little and often. If you're hungry, try supplementing meals with fruit, a handful of unsalted raw nuts and seeds (careful not to buy those coated in flavourings or cooked in oil), low fat yoghurt with a little honey or berries, dried fruit (go easy on them - your bowels will thank you for it). Slice a banana onto your Shredded Wheat - it's an extra 100-130 calories but you'll feel fuller.

The occasional ready meal won't hurt (though the salt content is usually monstrous), but try and cook for yourself if you can a few night a week. Try a two-egg omelette or scrambled eggs with plenty of your favourite salads/veggies, stir fries with lean chicken or pork, even something like tinned mackerel on toast if you can stomach it (I can't bear oily fish - but it is good for you!). Another poster said about cooking in batches and freezing portions - I wholeheartedly agree. I usually make a massive portion of chili (simply onions, peppers, chilies, and garlic softened in a drop of olive oil, add tinned tomatoes, season, let it bubble for 30 mins, then drain two tins of whatever beans you like - I use butter beans and chickpeas - throw them into the mix with a pinch of coriander, cook for another 10 minutes and voila) and I freeze six or seven portions in tupperware boxes. I have it for lunch or dinner with all sorts of things - rice, pitta, a wrap etc. I also add cooked meat to the chili when it's warmed through if I'm really hungry.

The other thing I'd recommend is variation. Do you eat a tuna sandwich for lunch every day? Are you happy with that? A bit of variety means you're more likely to enjoy your food and feel better about what you're eating. Egg or ham salad (without the mayo), leftover cooked meat from the night before etc.

Finally, consider making additional, small changes to your routines to incorporate more "incidental" exercise. Walk to work or get off the bus a few stops early. Take the stairs instead of the lift. Go for a stroll at lunchtime. It sounds silly, but these little things really do make a difference.

Best of luck! :D

So now the new plan is:
    8:00 - 9:00am: Go to the gym (run/jog 5K)
    10:00am Breakfast (Scrambled egg)
    2:00pm Brown bread tuna sandwich
    5:00pm 2 Apples
    7:00pm Dinner (Ready meall or try smaller portions).
    10:00pm Protein shake (protein powder, banana, milk, strawberries)

I thought I might add the shake near bed time so I'm not hungry going to bed. (I don't go to sleep until 12 so I would be reall hungry if I hadn't eaten since 7). Is the shake too much? If I follow this, will I reach my target weight in time?

Any help appreciated! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

There's no veg included there at all. You're dinner should really be a lot more substantial. I'd suggest including veg like spinach, broccoli and sweet potato to your dinner. Also, ready meals are processed crap. You're doing yourself absolutely no good with them. Ditch them for some chicken breasts or steak once in a while. You should have a look at the stickies in the Nutrition & Diet forum. They will help you give you an idea what you need to be eating and there's a post there that tells you exactly how to calculate how many calories you should be taking in for weight loss. Good luck and I hope you follow the advice!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

I find it bizarre that anyone who has even the slightest interest in their health would even considering eating any kind of microwavable dinner.

If you are too lazy to cook something healthy then you will be too lazy to put in the hard work needed to stay healthy.

A healthy meal could be prepared in 10-15 minutes. Nobody can be that busy that they can't find the time.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies. I'm sick of the fad diets at this point - I reckon i'm going to stick with basic calorie counting.

I'm a 33 year old male who weighs 103kg and sits at a computer all day - so according to this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=50914107

I require ( (103 * 11.6) + 879 ) * 1.4 = 2903 calories just to get by, regardless of exercise.
    Have I got that right? It sounds a lot...

Some websites say that to lose 1 pound of fat you need a calorific deficit of approx 3500 calories. Is this correct? I realise it would depend on a lot of factors, but is it a good enough guide?

So..... If (after taking exercise into account) I reduced my calorific intake to 1900 a day - saving me 1000 cals/day = 7000 cals/week. I should lose 2 pounds in a week?

I could probably keep track of what I ate - but keeping track of the cals I burn from exercise might be tricky. I do boxing training twice a week, and I do spinning classes. Can somone recommed a site that would help me figure out the calories burned? Or would a heartrate monitor be more accurate?

Thanks a million - its a tough road and its great to get valuable advice.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies. I'm sick of the fad diets at this point - I reckon i'm going to stick with basic calorie counting.

I'm a 33 year old male who weighs 103kg and sits at a computer all day - so according to this thread:

I require ( (103 * 11.6) + 879 ) * 1.4 = 2903 calories just to get by, regardless of exercise.

Firstly, its been 5, almost 6 weeks since the OP. Have you made any positive changes to your diet in that time. You said you had 17 weeks, is that now 12 weeks?

2900 is probably about right. It's a very general calculation. Every burns at a different rate.
    Some websites say that to lose 1 pound of fat you need a calorific deficit of approx 3500 calories. Is this correct? I realise it would depend on a lot of factors, but is it a good enough guide?
    1 lb of fat = 3500 calories of energy. It doesn't always come off at a steady and uniform rate, plus its hard to track with other factors affecting your weight. But its more or less the deficit you need to loss 1 lb.

So..... If (after taking exercise into account) I reduced my calorific intake to 1900 a day - saving me 1000 cals/day = 7000 cals/week. I should lose 2 pounds in a week?
    If you consistantly hit a 7000 calorie weekly deficit, you'll lose weight are roughly 2lb per week. Very roughly.
    I could probably keep track of what I ate - but keeping track of the cals I burn from exercise might be tricky. I do boxing training twice a week, and I do spinning classes. Can somone recommed a site that would help me figure out the calories burned? Or would a heartrate monitor be more accurate?
    Don't worry about tracking calories from exercise. Most of the time people over estimate the energy used through exercise. Think of this as bonus deficit. Over a week the amount is actually quite small amount and it will probably served best is you ignore it and hope that it covers any food calories you underestimated.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Hi All,

Thanks a million - its a tough road and its great to get valuable advice.. :)

Ok, I hope I don't get ripped apart here for giving bad advice, but i'll just tell you what i've been doing!

You sound like me 7 weeks ago. I saw a picture of myself at a friend's party and thought "F*ck this, I gotta do something".

My diet IS terrible. it's aweful! And I knew that if I just changed it radically I would not stick to it. If it felt like too much hard work then I wouldn't stick to it!

So, I decided to make 1 change a week to my diet and bring each change forward. Just small simple things. I'd count my calories and create a deficit.

I downloaded the MyFitnessPal app. My intention was to lose 1lb per week. The app calculated my BMR (my daily calorie needs) and gave me an allowance for each day. Since then, i've entered every single calorie i've consumed into that app. If not, i'm just lying to myself and letting myself down. You can calculate your exercise calories burned wit this app (however, i've heard on this forum that they can be over-estimated so beware).

The changes were simple. First, no fizzy drinks, week 2, add more meat to my diet, week 3, Low Fat Milk and cut down on bread etc.

It's now July and this week my change is add Whey Protein shakes to my diet due to the exercise, i'll get into that now.

Exercise wise, for me it's simple again, walking and lots of it! I stick the iPod on, listen to a podcast and walk and walk! My local Tesco is a 10-15 min walk away. When I need to buy something i'll go to Tesco, but first i'll walk in the opposite direction and take a stupidly long route. Sometimes the whole trip takes me 90-120 mins. it all adds up! I use the MapMyWalk app to track the walks PLUS calories!

I also do BJJ and I started Couch to 5K, but I injured my knee about 5 weeks ago so I haven't done either of these things in the last few weeks (re-started Couch to 5K this week)

So I don't waste away, I started Convict Conditioning (Google it) and I love it so far, even though i'm on the early stages. The increased Protein in my diet from the shakes will hopefully help me gain strength while i'm at a calorie deficit, or hopefully ensure I don't become weak.

Anyway man, my first week I stepped on the scale and i'd lost 1.5lb. I felt like a new man! I was on top of the world! And I knew if I stuck to it (there wasn't much sticking because the changes were so small) that i'd have that feeling the following week!

And I did, and have continued to do so each week since! I started approx 7 weeks ago and i'm already down 12lbs (and hopefully 1 more when I weigh in on Friday ;) ).

It's amazing! The increased exercise makes me feel fresh! The better foods make me feel super! When people say "Jesus Stuffins, you've lost weight" I feel top of the world! And what makes it better is that I know I can stick to it because i'm trying to do it long term rather than losing all the weight at once.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Hope anything I wrote above helps you out.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Ok, I hope I don't get ripped apart here for giving bad advice, but i'll just tell you what i've been doing!

You sound like me 7 weeks ago. I saw a picture of myself at a friend's party and thought "F*ck this, I gotta do something".

My diet IS terrible. it's aweful! And I knew that if I just changed it radically I would not stick to it. If it felt like too much hard work then I wouldn't stick to it!

So, I decided to make 1 change a week to my diet and bring each change forward. Just small simple things. I'd count my calories and create a deficit.

I downloaded the MyFitnessPal app. My intention was to lose 1lb per week. The app calculated my BMR (my daily calorie needs) and gave me an allowance for each day. Since then, i've entered every single calorie i've consumed into that app. If not, i'm just lying to myself and letting myself down. You can calculate your exercise calories burned wit this app (however, i've heard on this forum that they can be over-estimated so beware).

The changes were simple. First, no fizzy drinks, week 2, add more meat to my diet, week 3, Low Fat Milk and cut down on bread etc.

It's now July and this week my change is add Whey Protein shakes to my diet due to the exercise, i'll get into that now.

Exercise wise, for me it's simple again, walking and lots of it! I stick the iPod on, listen to a podcast and walk and walk! My local Tesco is a 10-15 min walk away. When I need to buy something i'll go to Tesco, but first i'll walk in the opposite direction and take a stupidly long route. Sometimes the whole trip takes me 90-120 mins. it all adds up! I use the MapMyWalk app to track the walks PLUS calories!

I also do BJJ and I started Couch to 5K, but I injured my knee about 5 weeks ago so I haven't done either of these things in the last few weeks (re-started Couch to 5K this week)

So I don't waste away, I started Convict Conditioning (Google it) and I love it so far, even though i'm on the early stages. The increased Protein in my diet from the shakes will hopefully help me gain strength while i'm at a calorie deficit, or hopefully ensure I don't become weak.

Anyway man, my first week I stepped on the scale and i'd lost 1.5lb. I felt like a new man! I was on top of the world! And I knew if I stuck to it (there wasn't much sticking because the changes were so small) that i'd have that feeling the following week!

And I did, and have continued to do so each week since! I started approx 7 weeks ago and i'm already down 12lbs (and hopefully 1 more when I weigh in on Friday ;) ).

It's amazing! The increased exercise makes me feel fresh! The better foods make me feel super! When people say "Jesus Stuffins, you've lost weight" I feel top of the world! And what makes it better is that I know I can stick to it because i'm trying to do it long term rather than losing all the weight at once.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Hope anything I wrote above helps you out.

Oh my God this is a freaky coincidence! Just two days ago I downloaded the MyFitnessPal app too! I have entered my height/weight and target loss - and it told me how much calories I can have every day.

This morning I have started entering every single thing I eat into the app. I've scanned the barcode of a few items and it seems to work too. Its great to see how many calories I have left for the day, and be confident that I will lose weight during the week if I stick to it.

The app is a real eye-opener. For fun I entered some sample foods I would eat usually - and the calorie count was huge! Playing around with it has made me realise just how little calories are in vegtables!

After my lunch I have approx 850 calories for the rest of the day. I will reduce the pasta in my spagetti bol tonight and pack the sauce with onions/peppers/mushrooms. Once I work it out exactly, I should be within my allowed amount. And I have training tonight - although like yourself - I don;t think I'll enter this in the app as I'm not sure how many cals I'll burn.

So far this app is a great help!

PS. Thanks for the inspiring post - it gives me hope!

I should point out that the MyFitnessPal app told me I only needed 2500 cals per day. That takes into account my sedentary lifestyle (sitting in office all day :().

However the equation in one of my previous post (which also takes into account lifestyle) says 2900 - so I'm not sure which one is right :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

MyFitness app displays the calories including a deficit based on your desired rate of weigh loss.
    Could be that.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    MyFitness app displays the calories including a deficit based on your desired rate of weigh loss.
    Could be that.

Checked that but the 2500 is the required amount to maintain weight.

When I select the option to lose 2 pounds a week, it reduces the allowance to 1500 per day (which would be correct given 2 pounds = 7000 calories per week).

Its a strange one. Its a big difference between 2500 and 2900 per day. More googling required...

Well I think mine was around the same in the app, approx 2500. When taking into accout the defecit, I was allowed 2080. All in all, it worked out correct for my weight loss.

I mean, some weeks i'd get my calories bang on each day and lose 1lb.

Some weeks i'd have a deficit for the week of approx 1750cals and have lost that extra 0.5lb.

It seems pretty close for me personally.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Mellor wrote: »
    Could be that.

Checked that but the 2500 is the required amount to maintain weight.

When I select the option to lose 2 pounds a week, it reduces the allowance to 1500 per day (which would be correct given 2 pounds = 7000 calories per week).

Its a strange one. Its a big difference between 2500 and 2900 per day. More googling required...

2500 is about right for maintenance. I am 110kg and if I put that into myfitnesspal I get 2090 to lose weight.

You're doing something wrong. That 2090 figure is bang on.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

2500 is about right for maintenance. I am 110kg and if I put that into myfitnesspal I get 2090 to lose weight.

Ok so this is what I'm calculating:
    My age: 33
    My weight: 227.4 lbs (103 kg)
    My lifestyle: Sedentary

Using the equation here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=50914107
    My RMR is (103 * 11.6) + 879 = 2073.8
    Due to my sedentary lifestyle my caloric requirement is 2073.8 * 1.4 = 2903 calories.

In My Fitness Pal - Entering:
    Current weight as 227.4 lbs,
    Starting weight as 227.4 lbs
    Date of birth: Correct for 33 years
    Activity level: Sedentary
    When I set Weight Loss Goal at zero (for maintenance) - My Net Calorie Goal = 2500 calories

Any ideas? Equation says I need 400 more calories just to get by. Equation is wrong?

I dunno. 2500 sounds about right to me. If I was you, i'd just test it out. Give it a week, enter "Lose 1lb per week". Get your calorie stats right and weigh yourself next week. If you've lost a lb then BINGO!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

Using the equation here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=50914107
    Due to my sedentary lifestyle my caloric requirement is 2073.8 * 1.4 = 2903 calories.

When I set Weight Loss Goal at zero (for maintenance) - My Net Calorie Goal = 2500 calories

Any ideas? Equation says I need 400 more calories just to get by. Equation is wrong?

Easier Equation is Lyle McDonalds! Weight in lbs by a factor of 11-13 (sedentary - active person) for weight loss

so 227.4 x 11 = 2501.4 calories

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-to-estimate-maintenance-caloric-intake.html

Burkatron wrote: »

Easier Equation is Lyle McDonalds! Weight in lbs by a factor of 11-13 (sedentary - active person) for weight loss

so 227.4 x 11 = 2501.4 calories

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-to-estimate-maintenance-caloric-intake.html

So 2500 is maintenance? That makes 2000 for weight loss.

they/them/theirs

I don't see the problem. Myfitnesspal is telling you 2500 for maintenance, subtract 500 for weightless. Do that.

they/them/theirs

Yeah you are the same weight now as I was when I started and the app gave me an allowance of 2080, which seemed spot on. I'd go with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

So 2500 is maintenance? That makes 2000 for weight loss.

nope, sorry shoulve been more clear. You multiply by a factor of 14-16 for maintenance 11-13 for weightloss so 2500 would be his defecit Calories!
    110kg & only 2090kcals for weightloss? That seems extremely low for starting out! You recalculate every time you stall(as I'm sure you know already). I'm just going by Lyle McDonald, the man knows his stuff & backs it up with studies & results!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement