Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Charge was struck out would it show on a vetting form?

Options
  • 30-06-2012 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just a quick question, have gotten some of my coaching badges recently,

And would like to start coaching a team soon.

This may be with kids, I assume I would have to be Garda vetted,

I was once charged Under Section 4 of the Criminal justice act,

However the case against me was struck out.

Will it still show on a vetting form however?

Thanks.

Any information would be appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I was once charged Under Section 4 of the Criminal justice act,

I dont think you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

Why so?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

you would have been arrested under that section as its not an offence, its just a power of arrest. Your actual charge would have been something else so if you tell us what you did we can tell you what charge. s.4 public order maybe?

Either way, if it was struck out then it wont show up, or at least, it shouldnt!

Edit: Criminal Justice Act 1984 is power of detention, Criminal Law Act 1984 is arrets, must study harder!

Why so?

Section 4 of the criminal justice act is a power of detention.

Section 4 of the theft and fraud offences act perhaps ?

• Advertisement

Section 4 of the theft and fraud offences act perhaps ?

That might be it. All prosecutions, successful or not, are disclosed afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I don't know if struck-out prosecutions always show up, but I can confirm that they sometimes show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

ask the guards for a copy of your criminal record and they will post it to you a couple of weeks later and you will know whats on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

ask the guards for a copy of your criminal record and they will post it to you a couple of weeks later and you will know whats on it.

Would it really take weeks? It should be like asking for a bank statement.

There isn't really such thing as a criminal record. There are three things you can get. A certificate of clearance is used for visas applications. It can be obtained by making an application to your local Garda station and takes a few weeks to process and be sent out. It states your convictions or lack thereof. A vetting application is done via the central vetting unit and is applied for by your employer. It shows all prosecutions against you wether successful or not. You can also request a disclosure of information under the Data Protection Act. This will disclose all information you request but can be subject some form of censorship depending on the nature of the information on file.

http://www.garda.ie/FAQ/Default.aspx?FAQCategory=36#FAQ2751

• Advertisement

Under the new spent convictions bill, will prosecutions be spent too?

As I don't have a conviction, but a prosecution.

Maybe im being biased here, but I think it's unfair to put unsuccessful prosecutions on a vetting form.

Under the new spent convictions bill, will prosecutions be spent too?

As I don't have a conviction, but a prosecution.

Maybe im being biased here, but I think it's unfair to put unsuccessful prosecutions on a vetting form.

i think it's unfair to steal from people and get off with it.

MagicSean wrote: »
    i think it's unfair to steal from people and get off with it.

Thanks for proving my point...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

tuxy wrote: »
    Would it really take weeks? It should be like asking for a bank statement.

It is ... from Ulster bank.

Thanks for proving my point...

Court proceeding are public so your case was probably reported in the local rag. In addition, a dismissal doesn't mean you didn't do it. You could have been deemed eligible for an adult caution, the probation act or have donated to the poor box. A lack of a conviction doesn't mean you aren't a thief, you just aren't a convicted thief.

Court proceeding are public so your case was probably reported in the local rag. In addition, a dismissal doesn't mean you didn't do it. You could have been deemed eligible for an adult caution, the probation act or have donated to the poor box. A lack of a conviction doesn't mean you aren't a thief, you just aren't a convicted thief.

What does my case being reported in 'the local rag' have to do with absolutely anything, other than your own ego?

I know a dismissal doesn't mean that I didn't do it, but you assumed, without knowing absolutely nothing about my case, that I "stole from people and got away with it".

And that "I'm a thief,just not a convicted one"

I asked an original question about garda vetting as I may have to coach kids to play football (you know,actually doing something good for a community) and as suspected, someone goes off topic and gets high and mighty like I'm Adolf Hitler and tried to exterminate a race.

I made a mistake, I learnt from it. I never have nor will do it again. I'm human, I'm flawed.

Does being charged with theft when I was 20 years old mean I'm a terrible person for the rest of my life? perhaps to some.

Anyways, thanks for the advice, Curt Hennig.

What does my case being reported in 'the local rag' have to do with absolutely anything, other than your own ego?

I know a dismissal doesn't mean that I didn't do it, but you assumed, without knowing absolutely nothing about my case, that I "stole from people and got away with it".

And that "I'm a thief,just not a convicted one"

I asked an original question about garda vetting as I may have to coach kids to play football (you know,actually doing something good for a community) and as suspected, someone goes off topic and gets high and mighty like I'm Adolf Hitler and tried to exterminate a race.

I made a mistake, I learnt from it. I never have nor will do it again. I'm human, I'm flawed.

Does being charged with theft when I was 20 years old mean I'm a terrible person for the rest of my life? perhaps to some.

Anyways, thanks for the advice, Curt Hennig.

It means that if your employer googles your name they will likely learn of your case and wonder why you did not fully disclose your past and what other things you might be hiding. Not sure where my ego comes in.

i was using the word "you" in a more abstract sense. Perhaps I should have used "one" instead. I appear to have struck a nerve.

I think I answered your original question quite well. You are the one who decided to go off topic and talk about how unfair it is that unsuccessful prosecutions show up. Remember?

Not necessarily a terrible person but perhaps someone who's character should be more closely scrutinised before allowing them to work with children.

You're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

That might be it. All prosecutions, successful or not, are disclosed afaik.

That hardly seems fair.

What if you were 100% innocent and somebody made a ridiculous claim against you of, lets say rape. Supposing half way through the trial it comes out that you couldn't possibly have done it because you were on another continent at the time, what happens then? You'd be found innocent (and rightly so) but the rape prosecution would remain on your file to be disclosed during the vetting procedure. It would black mark against your character through no fault of your own. That doesn't seem right.

Am I misunderstanding the situation here?

BattleCorp wrote: »
    That hardly seems fair.

What if you were 100% innocent and somebody made a ridiculous claim against you of, lets say rape. Supposing half way through the trial it comes out that you couldn't possibly have done it because you were on another continent at the time, what happens then? You'd be found innocent (and rightly so) but the rape prosecution would remain on your file to be disclosed during the vetting procedure. It would black mark against your character through no fault of your own. That doesn't seem right.

Am I misunderstanding the situation here?

Why would you not bring up the fact you were on another continent when being questioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Why would you not bring up the fact you were on another continent when being questioned?

I was exaggerating to make a point - an extreme example that would prove 100% that you were innocent.

My query is that if you are proven innocent (and are 100% innocent), why is the charge still on your record for a prospective employer or somebody else to view when going through the vetting process?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It's the "no smoke without fire" typical Irish mentality at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

You have the right, in most cases, to remain silent when questioned by police.

The right is there for your protection against the state.

A good example of this could be where you happily tell the police you were in one place at a certain time (after all, you've nothing to hide) where a credible witness, unbeknownst to you, has told the police they saw you elsewhere, but has made an honest mistake.

In this instance because you have decided to tell the police your story, they may immediately suspect you are a liar and are hiding the truth from them.

murrayp4 wrote: »
    You have the right, in most cases, to remain silent when questioned by police.

The right is there for your protection against the state.

A good example of this could be where you happily tell the police you were in one place at a certain time (after all, you've nothing to hide) where a credible witness, unbeknownst to you, has told the police they saw you elsewhere, but has made an honest mistake.

In this instance because you have decided to tell the police your story, they may immediately suspect you are a liar and are hiding the truth from them.

And if you choose to execute that right then you must be prepared to accept the consequences should there be a case for you to answer.

And if you choose to execute that right then you must be prepared to accept the consequences should there be a case for you to answer.

Yes that's true but that will be done in a court, not an interrogation room.

My point is that sometimes people who are not guilty will inadvertently make themselves appear guilty when all they want to do is 'sort out this silly misunderstanding'. There is the possibility you'll occidentally add fuel to the case against you. This is why any decent criminal solicitor will advise you not to talk when being questioned.

murrayp4 wrote: »
    Yes that's true but that will be done in a court, not an interrogation room.

My point is that sometimes people who are not guilty will inadvertently make themselves appear guilty when all they want to do is 'sort out this silly misunderstanding'. There is the possibility you'll occidentally add fuel to the case against you. This is why any decent criminal solicitor will advise you not to talk when being questioned.

My point is that you can't hold out for your day in court and then complain that you had to go to court.

Were you not asking why you wouldn't tell the police where you were when being questioned?

Anyway,we're probably straying off-topic from the OP..

I'm sure there have been instances were people have been completely innocent, and been found innocent in court...

Gardai are human after all, mistakes can and will be made...

I can understand why my record of being charged would show on a vetting check when attempting to work with children. As I am volunteering and not being paid I'm hoping it won't be held against me, and from what I've read it won't. As it wasn't a child related or violent crime.

I can also understand why someone who was completely innocent, and was found innocent in court, would be absolutely furious that it would show up if they wanted to get a job were Garda Vetting is a requirement...

I assume with the new Spent Convictions Bill that Prosecutions will become spent after a certain time also.

Surely non-convictions wouldn't continue to show up when convictions won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Why would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Why would you?

So as to end the misunderstanding and not get charged and not have to go through a court appearance to face criminal charges?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You are under no obligation to assist the prosecution.

Advertisement