Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Kite

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Bsal

About two weeks ago I saw one Red Kite near that windturbine, the factory is called Country Crest that operate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Just south of Skerries is the place to be, apparently. There is a food processing plant in the area and the kites are hanging around for scraps. I saw 2 there on Saturday but talking to a photographer who said up to 8 could be seen there regularly.
    Bsal wrote: »
    About two weeks ago I saw one Red Kite near that windturbine, the factory is called Country Crest that operate it.

I know the site, it was common a few years ago to see a Buzzard circle the site. Its a very well run facility so I seriously doubt they are leaving scraps out that will encourage rodents. It is do surrounded by a quite substantial area of farmland with a duck pond in one corner so ideal area for the animals that kites feed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I know the site, it was common a few years ago to see a Buzzard circle the site. Its a very well run facility so I seriously doubt they are leaving scraps out that will encourage rodents. It is do surrounded by a quite substantial area of farmland with a duck pond in one corner so ideal area for the animals that kites feed on.

Although Kites are mainly scavangers, the live prey element of their diet resembles that of Barn Owls, so fresh water like ponds, canals etc. would be attractive given such habitats often have high rodent populations, especcially in arable areas. Analysis of prey items in Kite nests in Wicklow confirms this, young jackdaws and rooks also make an appearance as prey in season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Although Kites are mainly scavangers, the live prey element of their diet resembles that of Barn Owls, so fresh water like ponds, canals etc. would be attractive given such habitats often have high rodent populations, especcially in arable areas. Analysis of prey items in Kite nests in Wicklow confirms this, young jackdaws and rooks also make an appearance as prey in season.

Impressive enough given the fact rooks are fairly large and strong. Would a female sparrowhawk prey on rooks? I take it a male sparrowhawk would leave well alone? Also, are there any corvids that arnt taken by birds of prey? Raven maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

I remember seeing dead raven remains under the nest at Lugala years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I remember seeing dead raven remains under the nest at Lugala years ago.
    A peregrine's nest?

slowburner wrote: »
    A peregrine's nest?

Sounds like it allright, since Kites only started nesting in Wicklow in the last 2 years.

PS: Raven remains have been found in active Golden Eagle nests up in Donegal

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Impressive enough given the fact rooks are fairly large and strong. Would a female sparrowhawk prey on rooks? I take it a male sparrowhawk would leave well alone? Also, are there any corvids that arnt taken by birds of prey? Raven maybe?

These were young birds recently out of the nest - adult rooks would be a much more formidible challenge and would probably have to be injured before a Kite would have a go IMO. Primarily scavangers, Kites are all tail and wing and do not have the muscle mass of other similiar seized raptors that rely much more on live prey.

As for sparrow hawks,I have seen female sparrow-hawks take Wood Pigeons so a Jackaw or young rook would definatly be potential prey.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Sounds like it allright, since Kites only started nesting in Wicklow in the last 2 years.

PS: Raven remains have been found in active Golden Eagle nests up in Donegal
    I don't have real evidence to support this observation, but I am pretty sure that the Raven population has decreased around here, since the introduction of the Kites.
    I presume both species compete for pretty much the same food.

I presume both species compete for pretty much the same food.

Only in terms that both species will scavange carrion. A Ravens diet(like other crows) is much broader then Kites and other raptors.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's a sizable enough article in the irish times today about the decline of raptors due to poisoning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

A peregrine's nest?
    yes

Peregine will take almost anything on the stoop. Only bird that poses any threat is the eagle owl. He can kill any bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

BWI Wicklow Branch

Saturday 24 March: Annual Spring Red Kite Watch at Avoca village. Meet at the bridge from 12.00pm onwards. Parking is available nearby opposite St. Patrick's RC Church.

http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/Default.aspx?tabid=302

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

Last Tuesday, 13th March (about 10.30am), while driving on Hearse Road, heading in direction of Donabate, I sighted 2 large birds of prey flying through the hedge rows & trees that run alongside the road.

They were flying at a fairly leisurely pace, dodging between and above the trees at a height of about 20 feet.

I’ve never seen birds like this before from such close range and was surprised at how big they were. I’ve seen buzzards quite a few times before but these 2 birds appeared to be much larger.

From my angle of view, the topside colouring of the birds was brown. I couldn’t see the colouring underneath.

I thought they might be red kites but can’t be absolutely sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Kites are fairly easy to identify by the shape of their tail,
    a definite triangular shape that twists and turns like a rudder
    to steer them where they want to go. They wouldnt be
    overly bigger than a buzzard though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

Kites are fairly easy to identify by the shape of their tail,
    a definite triangular shape that twists and turns like a rudder
    to steer them where they want to go. They wouldnt be
    overly bigger than a buzzard though.

Thanks.

Didn't notice tail shapes but will watch out for that next time.

They were twisting and turning over and between trees, though, which I've never seen buzzards doing.

Also haven't seen a pair of buzzards flying like this so close to the ground and twisting and turning so much.

Maybe they looked a bit bigger because they were so near when I spotted them.

Looked at some photos of red kites and buzzards on internet today and am inclined to think the pair I saw were red kites.

Wicklow Red Kite Winter's Tale & Woodenbridge Talk

The red kite is now a familiar sight around Wicklow farms and villages. Particularly in Avoca village throughout the year and also where notably large communal roosts occur in the winter. People from near and far have come to see the kites and many are captivated by the sight of the graceful, forked-tailed kite floating and gliding over fields, villages and woods in Wicklow.

The Golden Eagle Trust in partnership with the National Parks & Wildlife Service and Welsh Kite Trust supported by Coillte Teoranta, the Heritage Council and Greenstar Ireland released a total of 120 red kites in Wicklow between 2007 and 2011 in Co. Wicklow. The final release of 13 Welsh kites took place during 2011. Simultaneously, in 2011 39 red kites were released in Fingal, Co. Dublin supported additionally by Fingal LEADER Partnership, Fingal County Council, Fingal Conservation Volunteers, Birdwatch Ireland, Burren Bird of Prey Centre, AOL Monster Help Day and the Irish Raptor Study Group.

Full story at goldeneagle.ie.

Spring update

The autumn and winter has required a lot of fieldwork and also a large amount of data entry, reports and funding claims to compile ? unfortunately it's not all about watching kites and sometimes we have to do some 'real' work! We are extremely grateful to our all project funders and the support from the public and volunteers.

Since the winter and the disappointing loss of nine kites in Dublin during November and December to rodenticide poisoning the monitoring of the red kite populations has continued each week in both Wicklow and Dublin. The dead kites located in Co. Dublin were identified by their blue left wing and white right wing tags and were found as follows C8 (2nd Nov) A5 (5th Nov), @ (17th Nov), £ (17th Nov) ? (21st Nov), ? (2nd Dec) B0 (9th Dec) and A3 (18th Dec). Since the last bird was found, to date - touch wood - no other dead kites have been found.

Full story at goldeneagle.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

So, heading up to Avoca tomorrow to see what I can see. They may be quite high up with the heat but I'll be there late enough.

Is the garage still the best place to see them coming in to roost or are they roosting in groups at all this time of year?

Live Irish Red Kites on your screen. :)

http://goldeneagle.ie/portal.php?z=269

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

whyulittle wrote: »
    Live Irish Red Kites on your screen. :)

http://goldeneagle.ie/portal.php?z=269

Did you get the webcam to work? I had to update my version of Java to 7, but it still doesnt work. Ive tried chrome, firefox and Internet explorer.
    Maybe they are working on it, it would be great to be able to watch them growing up!

Worked for me yesterday, only showing a black screen today.

Working now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

was looking at the live camera today. the birds are big and one in particular is doing lots of wing flapping. looks like it is preparing to leave the nest. does anyone know how many kites have been produced this year in wicklow, dublin and down?

was looking at the live camera today. the birds are big and one in particular is doing lots of wing flapping. looks like it is preparing to leave the nest. does anyone know how many kites have been produced this year in wicklow, dublin and down?

A bit early to call yet CM - though I do know that some nests have failed due to the bad weather:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Did you get the webcam to work? I had to update my version of Java to 7, but it still doesnt work. Ive tried chrome, firefox and Internet explorer.
    Maybe they are working on it, it would be great to be able to watch them growing up!

I got it working at last. It worked fine on my wifes machine which had Java 6 on it. So I downgraded from Java 7 to 6 and it works now!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 michaelmouse

Sorry for invading air space but was just wondering what the best times are to view birds of prey in general.... have some amazing creatures on my doorstep that I want to identify with a camera I bought to impress everyone on here! Absolute novice and new to bird stalking but I am fascinated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Bsal

I would say best times to see birds of prey is early morning and mid afternoon.

Advertisement