Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Kite

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I'm very lucky to be treated to very close up sightings most days where I work in the UK. Last night at a friends house in the South East there was one hovering about the back garden no higher then the roof.

There are Red Kites everywhere in this part of the world. You'll see more Kites here this year than Buzzards. Excellent news.

However it appears that they may be too successful for their own good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-13614326

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

slowburner wrote: »

This story is sensationalistic rubbish and I would expect better from the BBC - What next?? Killer pigeons menace old man on park bench:rolleyes:

PS: It has been roundly condemned by conservation groups like the RSPB et al

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

In all fairness, we could learn from the UK experience (sensationalised though it may be) with regard to leaving out food for kites. If that happens here, now or in the future - it would surely leave the door open for more poisoning.

• Advertisement

In all fairness, we could learn from the UK experience (sensationalised though it may be) with regard to leaving out food for kites. If that happens here, now or in the future - it would surely leave the door open for more poisoning.

Indeed and that is where education and basic commmonsense comes in - the RSPB have already called on people not to feed the Kites, so if one is a genuine nature/bird lover then employing a bit of cop on should make things safer for everyone:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Got a great close-up view of a Red Kite from the Wexford train just north of Rathdrum on Monday last - no extra charge but I suppose it would be best to keep Irish Rail in the dark. Also spotted a Cuckoo near Kilcoole and a Peregrine (?) as the train passed around the cliffs between Greystones and Bray. Armchair birdwatching at its best. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

any sightings of these or any of the eagles around east clare?

Birdnuts wrote: »
    This story is sensationalistic rubbish and I would expect better from the BBC - What next?? Killer pigeons menace old man on park bench:rolleyes:

PS: It has been roundly condemned by conservation groups like the RSPB et al

That's a funny comment but in fairness these birds would be very intimidating to a small child and if you haven't seen that many of them in the sky at low altitude then it's possibly unfair to make sarcastic remarks.

The beeb aren't to blame here.

E39MSport wrote: »
    That's a funny comment but in fairness these birds would be very intimidating to a small child and if you haven't seen that many of them in the sky at low altitude then it's possibly unfair to make sarcastic remarks.

The beeb aren't to blame here.

I've been to various parts of Africa and the Middle East where Kites and other raptors are part of the scene in most large towns and cities(indeed they are welcomed since they dispose of much waste) - no one pays any attention to them which I why I find this story sensationalistic nonsense over a scavanging raptor that weighs a mere 2 pounds(the roads in Nairobi near the airport are lined with massive scavanging Marabou Storks sat in trees!!).

Indeed this story simply plays into the hands of those types that would love to see protections lifted on all raptors in the UK so they can be slaughtered at will by those who's ideas of nature are still stuck in a grim Victorian dark age:( - indeed it reminds of that clown in Kerry who claimed that the Sea-Eagles would start lifting children from prams a few years back:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I've been to various parts of Africa and the Middle East where Kites and other raptors are part of the scene in most large towns and cities(indeed they are welcomed since they dispose of much waste) - no one pays any attention to them which I why I find this story sensationalistic nonsense over a scavanging raptor that weighs a mere 2 pounds(the roads in Nairobi near the airport are lined with massive scavanging Marabou Storks sat in trees!!).

Indeed this story simply plays into the hands of those types that would love to see protections lifted on all raptors in the UK so they can be slaughtered at will by those who's ideas of nature are still stuck in a grim Victorian dark age:( - indeed it reminds of that clown in Kerry who claimed that the Sea-Eagles would start lifting children from prams a few years back:rolleyes:

As have I. Only yesterday I was commenting on the possible simmilarities that could be drawn to the black Kites over Nairobi. However Nairobi is a million miles from the UK in many regards. They are as you suggest more of a benefit in those parts. Day and night in comparative terms however.

btw - don't get me wrong please. I'm defending the views in the article. Don't shoot the messenger :)

But, I have witnessed first hand the subject and it shouldn't be dismissed as sensationalism imo.

It certainly is not good news for the birds.

As have I. Only yesterday I was commenting on the possible simmilarities that could be drawn to the black Kites over Nairobi. However Nairobi is a million miles from the UK in many regards.

Is it?? - to my knowledge raptors haven't been carrying away kids in Kenya eithier!!. Kids in the Mara, near Tsavo etc. walk to school in areas frequented by some of Africa's big 5. Puts this nonsense into perspective doesn't it!!:rolleyes:

PS: Anyone who has seen kids feeding birds in a park will see large birds like Swans and Crows getting close to young children - I'm sure such experieces don't damage them into adulthood;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

+ 100 Birdnuts

Only just got to listen to BBC piece - more worthy of the Sun or News of the World in my opinion and it must have been a very slow news day indeed. If people feed wild animals or leave food waste where it can be accessed by scavengers they have only themselves to blame.

Is it?? - to my knowledge raptors haven't been carrying away kids in Kenya eithier!!. Kids in the Mara, near Tsavo etc. walk to school in areas frequented by some of Africa's big 5. Puts this nonsense into perspective doesn't it!!:rolleyes:

PS: Anyone who has seen kids feeding birds in a park will see large birds like Swans and Crows getting close to young children - I'm sure such experieces don't damage them into adulthood;)

Now that's sensationalism !! :rolleyes:

From the beeb: -
    "They're a fantastic animal and we love seeing them around here. They're a protected species and we respect that but we discourage them from the local airfield."

"There are sadly a minority out there who would love to take us back to the 19th Century and shoot, trap and poison all kinds of birds of prey.

"Red kites are big, spectacular birds and I'm sure they're a bit scary close up but I think we need to respond to this kind of story with thought and care. "

"Most people are delighted to have red kites back in Oxfordshire as part of our bird community."

Keep it real mate.

I was feeding swans as a youngster when one of them went for my eye. I just managed to turn my head in time, so it got me on the temple. It hurt!
    As a damaged adult, I still don't like swans but I don't think I will be calling for a swan cull.:p

Why oh why are people searching for reasons to have a go at raptors? Do they instill some kind of primeval fear in people? I just don't understand it.

Now that's sensationalism !! :rolleyes:

From the beeb: -
    "They're a fantastic animal and we love seeing them around here. They're a protected species and we respect that but we discourage them from the local airfield."

"There are sadly a minority out there who would love to take us back to the 19th Century and shoot, trap and poison all kinds of birds of prey.

"Red kites are big, spectacular birds and I'm sure they're a bit scary close up but I think we need to respond to this kind of story with thought and care. "

"Most people are delighted to have red kites back in Oxfordshire as part of our bird community."

Keep it real mate.

I was referring more to some of the frankly bizarre comments by some of the twits on the audio link - In any case I think the main problem here is that modern society in this part of the world is so divorced from nature that something unfamiliar like a Red Kite is automatically viewed with suspicion and often misplaced hysteria. These type of people would probably have the same reaction if something like a badger wandered through their back garden.

I was referring more to some of the frankly bizarre comments by some of the twits on the audio link - In any case I think the main problem here is that modern society in this part of the world is so divorced from nature that something unfamiliar like a Red Kite is automatically viewed with suspicion and often misplaced hysteria. These type of people would probably have the same reaction if something like a badger wandered through their back garden.

Don't get me started on badgers ;) (joke :) )

As an aside.
    When the Kites were first introduced near where I live - I wondered about the ecological impact. I wondered would there be a displacement of some other raptor or other species.
    The curious thing is that their introduction seems to have had the opposite effect - it seems to have increased biodiversity. Peregrines are common and Merlins are around here now too. There are other large raptors around as well, but I don't know my stuff well enough to identify them. There was a terrible racket in the trees beside my house yesterday (Magpies and Jays) when out flew a big raptor about 30' overhead. It was about the same size as a kite but stockier and a more agile flier - Hen Harrier maybe?
    From my observations, the only population that seems to have (possibly) decreased, is the Ravens.
    I love having the Kites about but there is something ungainly about their flight compared to the Peregrine and the Merlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-13725474

At least they explained its behaviour reasonably & admitted its a very rare occurance.

At least they explained its behaviour reasonably & admitted its a very rare occurance.

... to be fair to the bird, his head looks like a landing strip :D

• Advertisement

:D:D:D

Indeed - and probably why it passes for "news".

PS: I've seen similiar injuries inflicted by sea-birds and certain wildfowl defending their nests

As an aside.
    There was a terrible racket in the trees beside my house yesterday (Magpies and Jays) when out flew a big raptor about 30' overhead. It was about the same size as a kite but stockier and a more agile flier - Hen Harrier maybe?

Just had a look at the Buzzard thread - that's what it was methinks.

Saw a red kite flying beside the m50 at the Red cow roundabout there on Friday afternoon. Thats my first time spotting one outside wicklow.
    It was a strange place to see one in such an urban setting.
    It was a good distance from newbridge demesne, im thinking it was more likely to have been a wicklow red kite but it could have come from either direction I suppose.

It was a strange place to see one in such an urban setting.

In much of their range Kites are actually town and city birds. Virtually every major city in Africa and Asia has large flocks. They are welcomed as they clean up alot of rubbish that would otherwise feed vermin like rodents etc. Indeed Red Kites fulfilled the same role in the UK and Ireland as recently as the 17th centuary:)

In much of their range Kites are actually town and city birds. Virtually every major city in Africa and Asia has large flocks. They are welcomed as they clean up alot of rubbish that would otherwise feed vermin like rodents etc. Indeed Red Kites fulfilled the same role in the UK and Ireland as recently as the 17th centuary:)

Cool, Lets hope they come back into that role so. They might push out the seagulls role?

Cool, Lets hope they come back into that role so. They might push out the seagulls role?

And the likes magpies, hooded crows etc. when it comes to the likes of roadkill etc.:)

I've watched the Kites here dozens and dozens of times, mostly at fairly close range, but I've only ever seen one land on the ground and that was only for a second or two. A couple of years ago, there were two sheep carcasses nearby. Two Kites wheeled and swooped over it for an hour or so, but never landed.

I've watched the Kites here dozens and dozens of times, mostly at fairly close range, but I've only ever seen one land on the ground and that was only for a second or two. A couple of years ago, there were two sheep carcasses nearby. Two Kites wheeled and swooped over it for an hour or so, but never landed.

A fresh carcass of that seize wouldn't be much good to the kites unless another scavanger had opened it up or it was well decayed. Kites like their meat matured and in take-away bites;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

There was tweet on twitter yesterday. A guy was watching one soaring overhead from a bench on the Canal in D2.

Advertisement