Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Games

• 28-06-2012 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭

Someone asked, I gone and done it.

Only ever bought Armada and Legacy

Armada was pretty good, limited by buggyness but Legacy was horrid. Still never found the motivation or processor power to play through the first mission.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

I used to sink hours upon hours into Birth of the Federation, then the Borg would appear and ruin everything.

Elite Force was decent enough too, if only because you could load up a 1 vs. 1 botmatch and repeatedly vapourise Neelix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Armada
    Armada II
    Elite Force + Exp
    Elite Force II - Found it in a charity shop some years back.
    Bridge Commander
    Legacy

I had DS9 The Fallen years ago but lost it.

There's a few mods worth looking into for Legacy, one opened up the game to exploration and stuff like that but it killed the single player.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Elite Force when it came out was near the top of the pile for FPS's. I got a loan of it and it was quite good. Another one, which I own is Star Trek Invasion for the PS1, a fighter jet type game and was entertaining enough. I also got a demo of bridge commander and thought it was excellent.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Birth of the Federation was probably my favourite Trek game ever. Absolutely loved it, and spent a huge amount of time playing. Always played as the Fed or Romulans, and usually tore the galaxy to pieces. Great fun. Also loved Elite Forces, Armada and Bridge Commander.

Also remember playing A Final Unity years ago. Loved it at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I know of the following:

Star Trek Starfleet Academy on the SNES. A very very early version of Bridge Commander really...very basic by todays standards but it rocked during the 16bit era. I bought this & the TNG Snes game together.

The TNG game for the SNES was bastard hard at times, but had some nice elements. The combat though was very basic 2d, but the other parts of the game 'felt' Trek like.

The five disc pc version of Starfleet Academy was pretty good in it's day, it was like a precursor to Bridge Commander, but had fmv sequences in it too so you can change how the story plays out depending on what you say/do. It was a massive step up graphically though over the 16bit versions

Never got around to Klingon Academy, played the demo though & it was impressive. Though both would look pretty weak today.

I also played & loved DS9: Harbinger. It was a dos based game from way back when, but it had all the proper voice acting & it had that real empty early DS9 feel about it. It was mostly puzzle based, had some combat too which is basic point & shoot. Nice atmosphere in the game though

A Final Unity was another good one, it's like the pc version of the SNES TNG game so much more advanced

There's a few more, but none of them come anywhere near these for the era anyway. It got good again with Starfleet Command, an RTS pc game which had numerous sequels too

Then there was Armada & its sequels which you all know & love. Bridge Commander & Legacy then join in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Two, from recent Gen, that were aweful were Tactical Assault PSP and Encounters. By what ever god you believe in were they bad.

The worst thing about them is that they were both Bethesda, like Legacy, so people were expecting something good

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Rather off-topic but the only computer game I ever wrote was a Star Trek text-based game on the Spectrum. I think I'm the only person who ever played it as well!

Used to play Final Unity a lot, but looking back it was far more limited than I thought it to be at the time. Also used to play that Klingon FPS game on the PC back in the day, but don't remember what it was called.

Away from computer games, I owned this as well:
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3040/star-trek-starship-tactical-combat-simulator

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I liked both Elite Force games, loved Armada 1 and 2, played the Fallen and thought it was decent.
    Havent played any others though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

The Gnome wrote: »
    I used to sink hours upon hours into Birth of the Federation, then the Borg would appear and ruin everything.

I loved BOTF but there were too many annoying things about it. The pure micro management was tedious...128 turns to upgrade your replicators from lvl 7 to lvl 8...

No matter how good my internal security was some ****ers always managed to sabotage me. As soon as you meet the Cardassians/Romulans you were fecked.

Other races demanding you give them credits to keep them happy!

The Borg were something else. As soon as you saw the notification 'The Borg have been detected in Sector xxx' you just went into panic mode!! Few turns later you'd see the other Empires start to get wiped out. Think I managed to defeat a cube once, with 30 something Warbirds.

BOTF spawned a fan made game, been a while since I looked at the last updates on any fan made games but this one is looking like it might not be supported anymore.
    Star Trek Supremacy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

My very first one was A Final Unity.... Played it on an old Dell 486 box!!

Next was Klingon Academy, DS9 Dominion Wars, and Armada 2 all on a Win 98. LOVED K.A. and Armada 2.

After that it was Win Xp and Bridge Commander which i enjoyed, but my crappy box wasn't punchy enough for it, Legacy which should have been left in the bargain basement bin with the scripts for Insurrection & Nemesis.

I also got a Space Fighter PS2 game called Shattered Universe where you were on the Excelsior under Sulu and ended up in the mirror universe. Good concept, bad execution!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

That Kilingon game mentioned somewhere earlier was called Honour Guard, remember it being pretty dire. It was basically Unreal but with Star Trek bolted on

BOTF spawned a fan made game, been a while since I looked at the last updates on any fan made games but this one is looking like it might not be supported anymore.
    Star Trek Supremacy

I think that one of the team screwed over the rest of them and basically did a programming equivalent of taking his ball and going home, with the code that they were relying on.

I think that one of the team screwed over the rest of them and basically did a programming equivalent of taking his ball and going home, with the code that they were relying on.

That would explain the lack of recent development.

I was tracking that for a few years but there was a lot of infighting going on, at one stage.

EnterNow wrote: »
    That Kilingon game mentioned somewhere earlier was called Honour Guard, remember it being pretty dire. It was basically Unreal but with Star Trek bolted on

Love the space blood bit though

It's a pity about BOTF2 as they had a lovely Alpha up and running, at one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

damn shame they never finished this, apparently most of the code still exists for it

shin

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I loved BOTF but there were too many annoying things about it. The pure micro management was tedious...128 turns to upgrade your replicators from lvl 7 to lvl 8...

No matter how good my internal security was some ****ers always managed to sabotage me. As soon as you meet the Cardassians/Romulans you were fecked.

Other races demanding you give them credits to keep them happy!

The Borg were something else. As soon as you saw the notification 'The Borg have been detected in Sector xxx' you just went into panic mode!! Few turns later you'd see the other Empires start to get wiped out. Think I managed to defeat a cube once, with 30 something Warbirds.

9 type 2 cloaked warbirds take it down with their opening volley, same as 9 cloaked klingon heavy cruisers, simples ^_^ . Any other race and you better have a good mix of heavy hitters and destroyers, destroyers are wiped out while your bigger ships destroy the cube. I love that game. :)

Also played, Star Trek Online, Bridge Commander (some really cool mods), Klingon Academy, SF Command 3, Armada 2, Legacy and demos of Elite force and the fallen... and some others I can't remember the name of now :confused:

azezil wrote: »
    9 type 2 cloaked warbirds take it down with their opening volley, same as 9 cloaked klingon heavy cruisers, simples ^_^ . Any other race and you better have a good mix of heavy hitters and destroyers, destroyers are wiped out while your bigger ships destroy the cube. I love that game. :)

Also played, Star Trek Online, Bridge Commander (some really cool mods), Klingon Academy, SF Command 3, Armada 2, Legacy and demos of Elite force and the fallen... and some others I can't remember the name of now :confused:

Fleet of veteran defiants could take them out also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Once you start building defiants it's game over for everyone else :D

Advertisement