Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

South County GC Closed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Gambino wrote: »
    I suspect I know lots that you mere mortals don't but as regards the club, better to wait for official word. Won't be long.

Gambino,

Us mere mortals are in awe of you. God help the Kavanaghs with you as a front for their new club. Your condescending tone has started to bore me. You are obviously close to people in the know and your drip feeding of info is painful, more next week!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Gambino

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Gambino,

Us mere mortals are in awe of you. God help the Kavanaghs with you as a front for their new club. Your condescending tone has started to bore me. You are obviously close to people in the know and your drip feeding of info is painful, more next week!!!!

Well isn't that a shame. You sound more annoyed than bored but I'll take it.

I was going to say more but feck, we'll let events unfold and facts emerge and then we might be able to see what has really been going on around here - and who is to be trusted.

Meanwhile the recruiting sargeants and their wee drummers from other clubs better hurry up. Time is short.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Doing three things Charlie.
    Continuing a previous conversation with Greebo
    Continuing a discussion on the topic of financial windfalls from compensation.
    Adding to the discussion on where people might be going.

Like with the discussions on South County, I would appreciate that all posts of a delicate nature about other clubs, or any other topic, are factual and can be backed up. Trying to stir up a rumour out what i can only see is from pure spitefulness on your behalf is not helpful to any conversation and is not welcome. Things are tough enough out there and comments like whats posted are not helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 lw3

So the New club is called The Lisheen Springs & Country Club...............

lw3 wrote: »
    Sounds like something the original developers would come up with. Lisheen would be enough.

• Advertisement

lw3 wrote: »

Where have you heard this??? Good idea if true, Southcounty is a bad product now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 lw3

well it's to include the riding stables, so hence the Country Club handle.

Love it, they forgot to tell Gombino they changed the name.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Like with the discussions on South County, I would appreciate that all posts of a delicate nature about other clubs, or any other topic, are factual and can be backed up. Trying to stir up a rumour out what i can only see is from pure spitefulness on your behalf is not helpful to any conversation and is not welcome. Things are tough enough out there and comments like whats posted are not helping.
    Fair enough Charlie but you have been presiding over a forum that has been stuffed to the gills with rumour, conspiracy theories and downright nonsense about South County, its owners, its Board and its committees. Some of it has just been stupid and ignorant but quite a lot has been intended to divert attention away from those who brought the club down and to undermine the genuine efforts of those trying to rescue or re-establish it.

I invited Greebo to comment on something that he must know has fairly wide currency - because I've heard it from several diverse and usually reliable sources. Given that he was in recruitment mode for SC members, I don't think that is an unreasonable question.

But I won't mention it again.

Love it, they forgot to tell Gombino they changed the name.
    They were going to call it after me but I wouldn't let them.

Pat K was in favour of keeping it. The others thought better of it and probably correctly. Too much baggage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I'd appreciate it if you didn't if that ok and we can try keep this topic going about (the former) South County Golf Club. There's too much information here to loose.
    Any further comments, from any user, solely to try instigate rumours about other clubs will be deleted immediately.

They were going to call it after me but I wouldn't let them.

Pat K was in favour of keeping it. The others thought better of it and probably correctly. Too much baggage.

Given that this is not out for us mere mitmrtsks to know your inside knowledge confirms what I think you are and have been from the start.

Yiour attempts to starts rumour about another club let's us all know you are a classless individual be it make or female. We never did get confirmstion of your gender

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

Given that this is not out for us mere mitmrtsks to know your inside knowledge confirms what I think you are and have been from the start.

Yiour attempts to starts rumour about another club let's us all know you are a classless individual be it make or female. We never did get confirmstion of your gender

You on the beer Ariel lol ? Thats some shocking spelling!!! lol

L.O.F.T wrote: »
    You on the beer Ariel lol ? Thats some shocking spelling!!! lol

I am on a high stool watching Italy handing Germany their arses on a plate. To much beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

I am on a high stool watching Italy handing Germany their arses on a plate. To much beer.

Your dead right..enjoy your evening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Both clubs or just the ladies? I thought the men's wouldn't be through until next week.
    Have the GUI changed their rules on affiliation?

Have the GUI changed their rules on affiliation?

Why ask me? Don't you know I just make stuff up?
    Better ask Ariel - he gets all his info in the pub so he could ask the guy beside him. Makes sense don't you think?

Why ask me? Don't you know I just make stuff up?
    Better ask Ariel - he gets all his info in the pub so he could ask the guy beside him. Makes sense don't you think?

Bambino, just because you are sitting in your hovel beside a sour pussed mare who won't let you watch football don't be jealous us pub dwellers are out. Your the one on the inside😉😉😉😉😉

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Russman

Remember the days when this was a civilised thread about a golf club.......

Russman wrote: »
    Remember the days when this was a civilised thread about a golf club.......

I must have missed that day......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 club seeker

One last post

Time will tell. My own prediction is that you will get a good few €150 memberships and not so may €420 memberships (which are you?). You will enjoy millionaire’s golf for a brief period but then what.

A sad end for everyone

The "brief period" will cover what's left of 2012 at very affordable prices. At the moment the owners seem committed to developing the new club and maintaining the course. Not sure I'd call it millionaire's golf but it certainly should be acceptable golf and a club free from the crap that brought down the old one.

Then we'll see. There's plenty of other options if it doesn't work. In the meantime it may be a sad end for the venture that began ten years ago but not necessarily for anything else.
    Gombino that's some business plan-a handful of members til the end of the year. You'll certainly be up there in the prizes for the best shortsighted plan category. I wonder how long it will take that to sink in with Pat and Johnny. looks like the next round of expulsions is coming down the tracks!
    I do wish the Kavanaghs the best and I'm sorry they appear to be getting some very bad advice.
    This club might have had a chance if everyone pulled together, embraced all members past and present, worked through differences and put old gripes behind. so yes a sad end to a 10 year venture and another blow this week. Time to move on.
    Your style and ding's is to get rid of anyone u don't like -seems like a great committee in the making!
    By the way has ding gone to ground? He didn't answer my earlier question

Gombino that's some business plan-a handful of members til the end of the year. You'll certainly be up there in the prizes for the best shortsighted plan category. I wonder how long it will take that to sink in with Pat and Johnny. looks like the next round of expulsions is coming down the tracks!
    I do wish the Kavanaghs the best and I'm sorry they appear to be getting some very bad advice.
    This club might have had a chance if everyone pulled together, embraced all members past and present, worked through differences and put old gripes behind. so yes a sad end to a 10 year venture and another blow this week. Time to move on. RT
    Your style and ding's is to get rid of anyone u don't like -seems like a great committee in the making!
    By the way has ding gone to ground? He didn't answer my earlier question
    If the wonderful members of the old club had pulled together, honoured their commitments, and concentrated on playing golf instead of faction fighting, none of this need have happened. I had no role in the old club except as a golfer and I'll have exactly the same role in the new one.
    The Kavanaghs may not be "golf people"but they are not stupid. If people in here took the trouble to find out what is actually going on, instead of getting their information in the pub or re-enacting battles already lost, they might have a better feel for what might happen over the next year or two.
    Time for the children to leave the stage. The next act is for grown ups only.

Gombino,

Your assumption that all info is gathered is gathered in the pub just about sums you up. The fact that most of us are not as close to the Kavanagh's is a disadvantage. You have been able to drip feed us info from the start which indicates a relatiobship with the Kavanagh family. If your goal was to get rid of unwanted members I feel you have succeeded. The club appears to be heading for a new dictatorship with a merry band of followers, best of luck to you all. I feel you will not get the numbers required to make it a success. I do know some people willing to give it a go, so best if luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cherryman

Gents, Can we change the tone and focus on the facts? Now that we have the Lisheen Springs Golf and Country Club(LSGCC) and presumably this will incorporate equine sports. Can we take it that horses will be galloped around the sand dunes and that a golfer will be able to hire a horse rather than a buggy? How about a horse and buggy - no need for batteries? How about a horse as a caddy? Seeing that the "South County Experience" failed as a concept then this new innovative Lisheen Springs Experience looks like it will succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Russman

Time for the children to leave the stage. The next act is for grown ups only.

Epic face palm :eek:

Gombino,

Your assumption that all info is gathered is gathered in the pub just about sums you up. The fact that most of us are not as close to the Kavanagh's is a disadvantage. You have been able to drip feed us info from the start which indicates a relatiobship with the Kavanagh family. If your goal was to get rid of unwanted members I feel you have succeeded. The club appears to be heading for a new dictatorship with a merry band of followers, best of luck to you all. I feel you will not get the numbers required to make it a success. I do know some people willing to give it a go, so best if luck to them.
    "Drip feed"? Its been an evolving situation - how else could it be "fed"?

Here's how to get as close a relationship with the Kavanaghs as I have:

Take the N81 to Brittas, turn left at Lisheen Rd, then in the gates and up the hill to the club house. Walk in, introduce yourself and have a civilised chat with whichever member of the Kavanagh family might be there. Hey, you could even have a game of golf while you are there.

cherryman wrote: »
    Gents, Can we change the tone and focus on the facts? Now that we have the Lisheen Springs Golf and Country Club(LSGCC) and presumably this will incorporate equine sports. Can we take it that horses will be galloped around the sand dunes and that a golfer will be able to hire a horse rather than a buggy? How about a horse and buggy - no need for batteries? How about a horse as a caddy? Seeing that the "South County Experience" failed as a concept then this new innovative Lisheen Springs Experience looks like it will succeed.
    I hope they take on board my suggestion of a chreche - to be named the South County Room.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,021 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I hope they take on board my suggestion of a chreche - to be named the South County Room.

So big-headed...now you want your own room?

GreeBo wrote: »
    So big-headed...now you want your own room?
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Golfingfanatic

Gombeeno,

You keep asking people to be factual. Here are a couple of facts which you have conveniently ignored, or perhaps you were out of the loop in the old South County, and given your attitude on this forum I'm amazed you weren't on your own on the timesheet each week.

Anyway, time for some reality. The main reason so many shareholdere decided to forego their investment in South County was their dislike of the way the board were running the show, including trying to dictate in every area of the club's affairs, for example, the day to day running of the mens club, which was the responsibility of the mens committee and nothing to do with the board. This was all driven by the one individual who, although he worked extrememly hard to save the club over the past few years, was a total bully. This was complemented by two other board members who became very confrontational towards members who dared to suggest anything that they didn't agree with.

CONTENT DELETED

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement