Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need some help buying a used car

• 19-06-2012 2:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

I am starting back college and need to buy a new car. College is about 25 miles away so I will be driving in and out every day. Don't want to spend too much maybe 1000 to 2000 euro.

I don't know too much about cars, but I have been looking at a few different ones online. Chevrolet Kalos, Merc A140, Polo's, Ford Ka, Ford Fiesta etc.

I have a Nissan Almera 1.5 tekna, but I won't be using it for up and down to college.

With fuel economy in mind, what should I be looking at for my needs? Should I look at another Almera? I really want to spend as little as possible on petrol as I won't be working when I am at college,

Hope someone can help

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭mitchaul

Short runs to and from college, think your after a 1.4 or less petrol.
    Make sure it has its NCT and ideally a full service history.
    Any car in that profile will do the job.
    Look in the usual places and refine down your search to the above criteria and see what is the highest year, lowest mileage you can get for your budget.

www.buyandsell.ie
    www.adverts.ie
    www.carsireland.ie
    www.donedeal.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Focus on the actual car, rather than the make/model. And stay away from dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭dchris

Anan1 wrote: »
    Focus on the actual car, rather than the make/model. And stay away from dealers.

Really? I would of thought the opposite!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

dchris wrote: »
    Really? I would of thought the opposite!

At that price, it's more about condition/history

Thanks for all your help. It is so so hard to decide. I have been coming up with cars but then reading they were ****.. Renault Laguna or any Alfa's etc at the price I can afford, maybe need engine rebuilds.. I seen a Ford Puma, which looks good on paper, am afraid to buy a clanger.. Don't know what to watch out for really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Thanks for all your help. It is so so hard to decide. I have been coming up with cars but then reading they were ****.. Renault Laguna or any Alfa's etc at the price I can afford, maybe need engine rebuilds.. I seen a Ford Puma, which looks good on paper, am afraid to buy a clanger.. Don't know what to watch out for really.

In terms of reliability you've somehow managed to create a list of worst cars ever :pac:

Fiesta 1.25 Zetec tbh.

In terms of reliability you've somehow managed to create a list of worst cars ever :pac:

Yes I guessed that. But based on what others said, they are the ones that on paper stack up the best. Which makes sense. I get the Alpha/Renault thing now. Don't buy a 156 or a Laguna..

Any other clangers I should watch out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

You could do worse than a Yaris - though it sounds like you might be looking for a different image :)

I learned to drive in one and I'm still driving it. It's been a great car, cheap tax, insurance, good on petrol. Will be selling it soon if you want to keep an eye out for it on adverts.ie.

bugler wrote: »
    You could do worse than a Yaris - though it sounds like you might be looking for a different image :)

I learned to drive in one and I'm still driving it. It's been a great car, cheap tax, insurance, good on petrol. Will be selling it soon if you want to keep an eye out for it on adverts.ie.

I will defo keep an eye out, I will be looking out for something between now and August, just in time for college.

I was really lucky with my first car, I bought an 03 Almera in 2006 with 20k on her, still have her now. Best car in the world, got it for 6k then, is probably half that now, which is impressive.

I would love something that is a beaut, but I understand I could wind up with a Kalos.. I dont really mind..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

My sister is selling a decent Puma within your budget. She's has all the bits and pieces done to do.

it's 1.6 and she gets 50 miles for a tenner.

• Advertisement

My sister is selling a decent Puma within your budget. She's has all the bits and pieces done to do.

it's 1.6 and she gets 50 miles for a tenner.

Can you PM me the details. Mileage etc? Is it for sale online? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kingtrojan

I recommend (for mpg) purposes perhaps an older 98 audi a4 1.9tdi or vw passat they're sturdy and do the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

i was commuting 25 miles to college per day (and 25 home again) and seen massive savings when i switched from my 1.6vvti corolla to the 1.8 tddi focus. my trip was 95% motorway drving of those 50 odd miles.

the corolla was doing mid 30's as best mpg wise whereas the focus was seeing late 40's, you save the difference in tax back in no time and insurance went down. easy get a mk1 tddi focus for under 2k.

if your budget allows, imo buy a diesel :)

andyseadog wrote: »
    i was commuting 25 miles to college per day (and 25 home again) and seen massive savings when i switched from my 1.6vvti corolla to the 1.8 tddi focus. my trip was 95% motorway drving of those 50 odd miles.

the corolla was doing mid 30's as best mpg wise whereas the focus was seeing late 40's, you save the difference in tax back in no time and insurance went down. easy get a mk1 tddi focus for under 2k.

if your budget allows, imo buy a diesel :)

I never really thought of a diesel. Wasn't sure how many miles you'd need to be doing in order to see the benefit of one. But I suppose 50 miles a day 5 days a week is a fair few miles to be knocking up. The plot thickens! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I never really thought of a diesel. Wasn't sure how many miles you'd need to be doing in order to see the benefit of one. But I suppose 50 miles a day 5 days a week is a fair few miles to be knocking up. The plot thickens! :D

The only downside to a diesel is when something goes wrong, it usually costs alot more than a petrol.

The only downside to a diesel is when something goes wrong, it usually costs alot more than a petrol.

i wont get into fanboi-ism and i do agree with your statment to a hugh degree, i find older non commonrail diesels make good buys, no dmf's, no fancy electronic injectors etc, and that was the case in my 99 focus and 03 veccy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

I am starting back college and need to buy a new car. College is about 25 miles away so I will be driving in and out every day. Don't want to spend too much maybe 1000 to 2000 euro.

I don't know too much about cars, but I have been looking at a few different ones online. Chevrolet Kalos, Merc A140, Polo's, Ford Ka, Ford Fiesta etc.

I have a Nissan Almera 1.5 tekna, but I won't be using it for up and down to college.

With fuel economy in mind, what should I be looking at for my needs? Should I look at another Almera? I really want to spend as little as possible on petrol as I won't be working when I am at college,

Hope someone can help

Thanks in advance

merc a140s in that price range are shoite, so keep away.

and what student drives a bloody a140...

the student who wants to say "i drive a merc"... though thats probably the reason anybody who owns an a-class bought one :pac:

anybody been is a student complex recently? lots of snazzy cars to be seen, even in these times!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

cars owed by banks and/or daddies more like

cars owed by banks and/or daddies more like

i agree, i think you missed my sarcasm :)

• Advertisement

I just mentioned them cos they were coming in under the searches I was doing.

Advertisement