Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer science course advice please

Options
  • 13-06-2012 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Craic,
    I have Computer science in DIT down as my first choice on my cao. However im afraid i will not fulfil the points for this course. I love computers and this is all i want to do in the future. However I also have computing @ 320 points level 8 and network technologies @ 280 points L.7 down also on my cao. The reason i have them down is i have been told you can do a year of them then go straight into 1st year or whatever of computer science is this true? Can someone from DIT enlighten me please, because if i do not get my points then ill happily do one of them for a year if its possible saves me going to Griffith college and spending 5 grand a year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

dooley1001 wrote: »
    Craic,
    I have Computer science in DIT down as my first choice on my cao. However im afraid i will not fulfil the points for this course. I love computers and this is all i want to do in the future. However I also have computing @ 320 points level 8 and network technologies @ 280 points L.7 down also on my cao. The reason i have them down is i have been told you can do a year of them then go straight into 1st year or whatever of computer science is this true? Can someone from DIT enlighten me please, because if i do not get my points then ill happily do one of them for a year if its possible saves me going to Griffith college and spending 5 grand a year.

Howdy, applying for networking myself too. You can switch courses but should you? I did first year im computer forensics level 8. Now according to dit I can do second year networking if I complete my CCNA before the year starts which is doable. Problem is I would miss first year and alot of the basics like learning C I only know HTML and Java so Id be a a major disadvantage in 2nd year trying to do projects. Id say youll be grand for points it wont move from 320 really, I only have 355 which is cutting it a bit close, but sure be granddddd:D

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Gian-Pa

I just graduated in DIT CS dt228 and I have to say if you don't know what would you like to work on computers (servers, app development, security, networking, artificial intelligence, games etc) college is a great way to understand what is there in computing and IT.

But that's not the only way. You can find people in Coderdojos or any sort of programming meetups around Dublin.

So my advise would be to try to learn and to figure out if you really want to do a computer science degree, before September or when the first semester fee is due.

I believe a degree is not necessary to be successful, maybe to find a job at IBM, but not everybody wants a 9-5 programming/testing job.

So last, listen to James Whelton (CoderDojo co-founder) and only 20 years old:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=skdFI7xesz0

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

dooley1001 wrote: »
    Craic,

Suup,

I'm heading into DT211 (Computing) in September - I have done FETAC certs. and would recommend the computing course if your more a hands-on, hardware, networking, server type of a guy, with future job titles being: IT Manager, Networking admin, systems admin, IT Admin, etc. - there is definitely a strong programming aspect to this course aswell though, so you definitely wont miss out on that, covers most languages, such as , C/C++/ java, Scripting etc.

This is where i would like to go with my Career, as its what i want to be when i finish.

BUT everyone is different - so if your more of a Programmer, software developer etc. then computer science is more the route to take.

As far as i know, there is alot of maths, and logical programming involved.

RE: Jumping courses after a year, yep, its possible, BUT not recommended, unless you are 110% sure its what you want, and are prepared to take it on.

Hope it helps :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dooley1001

Suup,

I'm heading into DT211 (Computing) in September - I have done FETAC certs. and would recommend the computing course if your more a hands-on, hardware, networking, server type of a guy, with future job titles being: IT Manager, Networking admin, systems admin, IT Admin, etc. - there is definitely a strong programming aspect to this course aswell though, so you definitely wont miss out on that, covers most languages, such as , C/C++/ java, Scripting etc.

This is where i would like to go with my Career, as its what i want to be when i finish.

BUT everyone is different - so if your more of a Programmer, software developer etc. then computer science is more the route to take.

RE: Jumping courses after a year, yep, its possible, BUT not recommended, unless you are 110% sure its what you want, and are prepared to take it on.

I know what course i want im just wondering can i do 1 year in computing then go into CS a year later and get the degree so if i dont get the points for CS i can do that if its possible

Suup,

Then why aren't you doing the networking course??:D

• Advertisement

Doylers wrote: »
    Then why aren't you doing the networking course??:D

Me?

I'm doing Computing as i said - its geared towards what i want.

Me?

I'm doing Computing as i said - its geared towards what i want.

I know but you said, "This is where i would like to go with my Career, as its what i want to be when i finish." and you listed loads of networking related stuff just wondering why you wouldn't do the dedicated networking course, or are you just trying to get a kind of general degree? Just being curious

I know but you said, "This is where i would like to go with my Career, as its what i want to be when i finish." and you listed loads of networking related stuff just wondering why you wouldn't do the dedicated networking course, or are you just trying to get a kind of general degree? Just being curious

Yep - Computing gives you abit of everything, and its a 4 year hons. degree - thought the networking was just a HnD or something (could be wrong)

i still want to learn the programming, and other parts the the course anyway.

Yep - Computing gives you abit of everything, and its a 4 year hons. degree - thought the networking was just a HnD or something (could be wrong)

i still want to learn the programming, and other parts the the course anyway.

Nope ordinary degree, does programming in C/java electronics comp architecture and stuff :D I see I see

Nope ordinary degree, does programming in C/java electronics comp architecture and stuff :D I see I see

Ooh.. and ive got a deferred Guaranteed place for DT211 (computing) aswell :D

So another reason, you gots a link to that networking course, just out of curiosity? - ill still be doing the computing, but just wondering.

• Advertisement

Ooh.. and ive got a deferred Guaranteed place for DT211 (computing) aswell :D

So another reason, you gots a link to that networking course, just out of curiosity? - ill still be doing the computing, but just wondering.

Ahhh I get yeah. Ah go on switch for the laugh :D
    http://www.electronics.dit.ie/programmes/dt080/
    http://www.dit.ie/study/undergraduate/programmes/electroniccomputersystemsdt080/

aaaah yeah i remember this one! - the reason i didn't have that one down is its a BTech (Electronics) and NOT a BSc (Science) so basically, a different awarding degree at the end - looks good, but i like the setup of the Computing :D - hahaha ive been making decisions "for the laugh" for the past 3 years, i need to start making proper decisions now!! ;)

aaaah yeah i remember this one! - the reason i didn't have that one down is its a BTech (Electronics) and NOT a BSc (Science) so basically, a different awarding degree at the end - looks good, but i like the setup of the Computing :D - hahaha ive been making decisions "for the laugh" for the past 3 years, i need to start making proper decisions now!! ;)

Sure wa harm? If you did programming thats engineering (technically) computer repair(engineering) the science is there so they can add random modules in and do maths yuck. Post a link to your one then, probably in the newbies thread you started were just hijacking this one(sorry OP). A propper decision would be dt080, its the place to be and all that:p

Sure wa harm? If you did programming thats engineering (technically) computer repair(engineering) the science is there so they can add random modules in and do maths yuck. Post a link to your one then, probably in the newbies thread you started were just hijacking this one(sorry OP). A propper decision would be dt080, its the place to be and all that:p

Agreed :D - Sorry OP

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dooley1001

Agreed :D - Sorry OP

still no one ?

Advertisement