Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you actually collecting anything at the moment?

Options
  • 06-05-2012 3:17pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not a lot of discussion about the actual plastic robots themselves around here, so i'm compelled to ask:

1) What are you collecting at the moment?

2)Is there anything you're currently looking forward to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Hey!

1) Not a fan of how the Prime characters look, enjoy the cartoon though. So for the moment I've just picked up the odd masterpiece figure.

2) Look forward to the next wave of Generations. Particularly Shockwave and the Autobot remold. I liked the look of the Combaticons, but will wait until I see those shocking colours in the plastic as it were.

How about you?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

1) Masterpiece, Prime, Henkei/Classics, etc. Caught up on the first two. Waiting for Henkei Rodimus then i'll be up to speed with the third. Hasbro's cost cutting is starting to stick out like a sore thumb.... but i quite like most of the RID line. Cartoon...wondering if it's running out of steam a bit.

2)FOC: Not looking forward to these as much as i thought i might. Fireflight's an interesting choice, and Magnus may make better use of the mold than Prime does... but again there's that nagging voice telling me Hasbro are counting the pennies.

On the one hand, the more muted Combaticons are closer to what i know as Bruticus, on the other hand i actually like the neon colors, and the idea that Transformers have mostly the same colors on Earth and Cybertron irks me just slightly.

More generally, some of the apparent choices are bugging me. I know, they have to offer variety, but only one Insecticon? Not sure if they're doing the rest of the Dinobots?

I'm starting to suspect the Transformers brand is expected to absorb profits (that were ) never (going to be) realised from shelfwarming outings like Thor, IM2, etc.

More generally, i think a combination of factors, increasing costs, tighter margins, shareholder expectations, and paying a cut to movie studios, has toy companies pushed into a corner.

They can't keep slashing, burning, and hiking price, customers. will. just. stop. buying.

I feel like something is going to give, and the toy industry is in a very difficult place.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I haven't bought a Transformer since Generations/RTS Jazz.
    Two reasons:
    1: I have no space for them anymore. Almost all of my TFs are in a box in the attic now because I have nowhere else to put them.
    2: Price. When its fifteen bucks on average for a deluxe sized toy collecting them in earnest is a costly endevour as I'm not getting the work hours I used to and need to keep saving. Plus it seems a waste shelling out for them when they end up in a big box (as per point 1).

Galvasean wrote: »
    I haven't bought a Transformer since Generations/RTS Jazz.
    Two reasons:
    1: I have no space for them anymore. Almost all of my TFs are in a box in the attic now because I have nowhere else to put them.
    2: Price. When its fifteen bucks on average for a deluxe sized toy collecting them in earnest is a costly endevour as I'm not getting the work hours I used to and need to keep saving. Plus it seems a waste shelling out for them when they end up in a big box (as per point 1).

Price really has become a large factor in my buy / don't buy deliberations too. Space is another factor!

It will be interesting to see what FOC dinobots (if any) turn out like

Cards placed beside FOC Deluxes are Botcon said SRP $15.00, as opposed to $12 or $13 in previous years. They may have done this simply to facilitate TRU who are charging more for DXs these days than Walmart etc.

Or it may be indicative of an actual price hike..... which probably means a price hike here too.

• Advertisement

Certainly doesn't bode well for prices here!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

FWIW, I truly wish I was still collecting. I frequently find myself casting a longing eye at the stuff they get in at Dublin City Comics.

Ever since TFSource started stocking Hasbro, i've pretty much stopped looking locally, unless it's the first wave of a new line, or the first few waves of a movie line.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'm only really collecting Masterpieces and Binaltechs/Alternity at the moment. None really on adverts so if anyone has some for sale, pm me. :)

wernstrom! wrote: »
    Ever since TFSource started stocking Hasbro, i've pretty much stopped looking locally, unless it's the first wave of a new line, or the first few waves of a movie line.

How do you find TFSource to deal with? I'd be tempted myself to get some loose figures. How steep is shipping?

• Advertisement

Jayd0g wrote: »
    How do you find TFSource to deal with? I'd be tempted myself to get some loose figures. How steep is shipping?

Their initial shipping rates are a bit out there, but i turn on order stacking, and they ship me a package once a month or so.

I can't gauge it exactly, but i don't feel like i've been overcharged much?

I'm guessing you find it better value than shopping in bricks and mortar then?

Have you bought any loose figures from them?

My motivation isn't cost. It's lack of new product on shelves. On loose figures, i haven't.

Ah I see. I'll have to look into it a bit further once the new Generations comes out!

Hi Wernstrom, have you tried getting stuff off of Ebay?

I'm also looking at Soundblaster on Tfsource, that irrational love of Soundwave coming out!

You mean Encore Soundblaster?

Robotkingdom generally work out cheaper for Takara toys

http://robotkingdom.com/services/eshop/main.php?action=details&CatType=&II=TFECR21&lang=us&CatID=

Ebay: Between Paypal and eBay vendors loose 14% of the purchase price. Which means prices on current/recent items are often padded as a result.

On top of which there's a trend on eBay of sellers pricing things high because 'Transformers are so HOT right now', and because they're counting on panic buys from uninformed purchasers.

Beyond that....eBay's international shipping calculator is just a random number generator. Sometimes, if you ask a seller, they'll revise it down. Others they'll just pocket the difference.

So i wouldn't recommend eBay unless you're looking for something long since discontinued, or a recent item that's sold out everywhere else... you're paying extra for the feedback system,
    but Paypal coverage is enough, imo....... as long as you're paying from a Credit Card balance. Comeback with 3V vouchers is less.

i've also heard good things about BBTS (bigbadtoystore) and one friend of mine swears by Kapow toys, who are in the UK, but they do cost more.

You mean Encore Soundblaster?

Robotkingdom generally work out cheaper for Takara toys

http://robotkingdom.com/services/eshop/main.php?action=details&CatType=&II=TFECR21&lang=us&CatID=

Ebay: Between Paypal and eBay vendors loose 14% of the purchase price. Which means prices on current/recent items are often padded as a result.

On top of which there's a trend on eBay of sellers pricing things high because 'Transformers are so HOT right now', and because they're counting on panic buys from uninformed purchasers.

Beyond that....eBay's international shipping calculator is just a random number generator. Sometimes, if you ask a seller, they'll revise it down. Others they'll just pocket the difference.

So i wouldn't recommend eBay unless you're looking for something long since discontinued, or a recent item that's sold out everywhere else... you're paying extra for the feedback system,
    but Paypal coverage is enough, imo....... as long as you're paying from a Credit Card balance. Comeback with 3V vouchers is less.

i've also heard good things about BBTS (bigbadtoystore) and one friend of mine swears by Kapow toys, who are in the UK, but they do cost more.

He's the guy alright! Cheers for the advice Wernstrom, it's much appreciated.

I'll probably go with BBTS or Robot Kingdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭sexitoni

Hi folks,

Both BBTS and Robotkingdom are good. I like the Pile of Loot system BBTS use, which saves on shipping, but if you go much over $100 Customs will get you but the guy at Robotkingdom will mark down on the customs form if you ask.

No interest in Prime or FOC figures. My next splurge could be the bunch of Generations repaints supposedly coming out in Asia later this year.

I also got the guy at bubbleformer.com to do me a custom police sunstreaker because I gave up on ever finding an original at any kind of affordable price.

I managed to get an original Diaclone Powered Convoy and original Diaclone Red Skids from Italian sellers, which was nice...

sexitoni wrote: »
    I managed to get an original Diaclone Powered Convoy and original Diaclone Red Skids from Italian sellers, which was nice...

Good catches, Both pretty scarce i think the Red Honda City is definitely considered to be one of the rarer ones?

And sorry for the "edit" tag in your post. I've been mashing the wrong buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭sexitoni

I should say they were GiG Italian Diaclones - 'Trasformers'. Not boxed or anything but both in good nick.

• Advertisement

sexitoni wrote: »
    I should say they were GiG Italian Diaclones - 'Trasformers'. Not boxed or anything but both in good nick.

Still very definitely worth having.

Up until several years ago, a lot of people viewed Italian Diaclones as some sort of attempt at a cash grab on the part of Gig, that they got their hands on overstock from Takara and were trying to cash in, and that (somehow?) they weren't even legitimate Diaclones.

There's some suggestion that the "Trasformer" brand predates Transformers.

http://tfsource.com/blog/the-chicken-or-the-gig-part-1/

Aside from that, collecting Diaclones has become expensive enough that many are willing to overlook packaging differences.

And aside from *that*.... i do believe you've got a couple of the rarer ones there.

Just got myself a Takara Grimlock. :D

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Just got myself a Takara Grimlock. :D

Nice! Can I ask why the takara instead of hasbro version?

Nice! Can I ask why the takara instead of hasbro version?

From what I read, the Takara version has sharp teeth/claws and other sharp points, whereas the Hasbro version is more kid-friendly. It also has cool accessories, and I can buy the crown cheap if I want it later.

Oh, I got it for £93 which was a steal as they normally go for about 40% more expensive.

Was that including postage? If so, then nice one!

I'm keeping an eye out for one at a decent price, haven't seen either version for less than €130 anywhere.

Was that including postage? If so, then nice one!

I'm keeping an eye out for one at a decent price, haven't seen either version for less than €130 anywhere.

I have seen the Hasbro one for £67 from the UK recently. The £93 is not including p+p but the Takara is very tough to find in Ireland/UK so will happily pay 20 euro to get it over here.

So I now have MP-01 (20th Aniv with grey gun) and MP-10 Optimus Primes, MP-03 Japanese and American Starscreams, MP-06 Skywarp, MP-08 Grimlock and MP-09 Rodimus - any others worth picking up?

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I have seen the Hasbro one for £67 from the UK recently. The £93 is not including p+p but the Takara is very tough to find in Ireland/UK so will happily pay 20 euro to get it over here.

So I now have MP-01 (20th Aniv with grey gun) and MP-10 Optimus Primes, MP-03 Japanese and American Starscreams, MP-06 Skywarp, MP-08 Grimlock and MP-09 Rodimus - any others worth picking up?

MP11, PP03A, E, and J.

And MP03G

I've been *told* that one of the branches of TRU in the North still has a few MP Grimlocks for 50 GBP, if anyone is passing either of them.

MP11, PP03A, E, and J.

And MP03G

I've been *told* that one of the branches of TRU in the North still has a few MP Grimlocks for 50 GBP, if anyone is passing either of them.

Heading reasonably near the border at the start of August, can you PM me which branch?? :)

MP11, PP03A, E, and J.

And MP03G

Buy all the seekers!!!

Have you the PP versions? How do they match up to the MP seekers in terms of quality? Would love to get Ramjet. One of my favourites.

Also, who are TRU??? I presume Toys R Us?

• Advertisement

I only bought the iGear Coneheads. They're within about 95% of the non-flimsy iterations of the seeker mold.

I was *told* the iGear *seekers* IE, PP03T, D, L, and S are slightly lower quality?

Advertisement