Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Medical intern offers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭foreverandever

They've had to reissue jobs because not everyone was included in the first round due to admin errors. This was the fairest way to ensure everyone got the job they deserved. Typical HSE messing up in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 The3Musketeers

They've had to reissue jobs because not everyone was included in the first round due to admin errors. This was the fairest way to ensure everyone got the job they deserved. Typical HSE messing up in the first place!

Yeah you may well be right. I know of a two EU citizens classmates who were wrongly classed as non-EU, offered nothing and have been waging war on the HSE since Monday. Awful form from the HSE. It still doesn't explain why some people have been told theirs is unchanged, does it!? Surely these 'excluded ones' could have ranked no1 in their class and could have their pick of any job....

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kopci

Yes, that's exactly what I'm questioning too. I have an EU friend that didn't get anything so I figured that some people were wrongly excluded. But except for maybe a very few people at the top of the list, including new people into the match should bump almost everybody, shouldn't it? And how can they know already who will be bumped and who won't, unless they've already processed the re-match? In which case, why can't they tell us our new offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 vamos77

I also got the "Dear stupid, you really think you got that intern placement you were so happy to get? we were just kidding. Maybe " email.

My contract signing was tomorrow morning at 9, this has upset me greatly as i already made plan for accomodation etc.

vamos77 wrote: »
    I also got the "Dear stupid, you really think you got that intern placement you were so happy to get? we were just kidding. Maybe " email.

My contract signing was tomorrow morning at 9, this has upset me greatly as i already made plan for accomodation etc.

Thanks for that!! Made me laugh out loud on an otherwise unhappy evening! And yes, I was wondering about people who had made plans based on their allocations already. I know I certainly wasted enough time looking for accommodation, potentially in the wrong location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 actin

I can confirm that interns from TCD, UCD and UL all received these emails.

This situation seems to have a left of people in the lurch, some of them having committed to accommodation etc. Has anyone had any contact with the HSE about this?

actin wrote: »
    I can confirm that interns from TCD, UCD and UL all received these emails.

But not UCC, NUIG or RCSI? Doesn't make sense.... Are their contracts being signed as normal tomorrow? Anyone here know?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭GradMed

Not yet, I don't think. We were contacted outside of business hours.
    Tomorrow will be an eventful day.

But not UCC, NUIG or RCSI? Doesn't make sense.... Are their contracts being signed as normal tomorrow? Anyone here know?

I've no idea about other colleges; I assumed they received the emails too.

I would suggest that anyone who is concerned about the security of their job offer emails the HSE and makes their voice heard. The more emails they receive, the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 thatone

Yeah RCSI got them too. But not everyone. A good few have no email and none in junk mail etc at all. Such a joke. Was so happy with my spot...

• Advertisement

thatone wrote: »
    Yeah RCSI got them too. But not everyone. A good few have no email and none in junk mail etc at all. Such a joke. Was so happy with my spot...

That's very odd. Everyone I've spoken to in UCD/UL (and the one or two in TCD) all received the email.

There seems to be two forms of the email, identical apart from one says :
    Unfortunately it is possible that an incorrect post allocation offer was made to you which may be amended in line with the revised results.

and the other says:
    In relation to the offer made to you this offer will remain unchanged.

I've heard numerous theories on why this mix up has occurred.

a) There has been a mix up with EU/Non-EU students. Some EU students have been marked as non-EU, and in addition, several non-EU students are kicking up stink that they weren't offered any job despite paying so much for their courses.

b) Students who were not offered places last year (for whatever reason, percentile etc) were meant to be offered a place this year but were not. I've heard this from some people who are interns this year who have heard people in their class who were not offered a place last year were not offered a place this year either.

From what I've heard myself, those with very good percentile rankings have received the "safe" letter while the majority of people have received the "maybe unsafe" letter.

Does anyone have any other information?

From what I've heard myself, those with very good percentile rankings have received the "safe" letter while the majority of people have received the "maybe unsafe" letter.

I think you're right about this actually...

Just to follow up on this, I'd be interested in getting a representative from each university class together if this isn't resolved rapidly.

I'm not sure about the percentile rankings, but I know at least two non-eu students that got the unchanged email, so surely they can't guarantee that unless they know what jobs are being changed...?

thatone wrote: »
    I'm not sure about the percentile rankings, but I know at least two non-eu students that got the unchanged email, so surely they can't guarantee that unless they know what jobs are being changed...?

That is confusing; you're saying that two non-EU students received the email saying their offers would not change? And they received intern placement offers in Ireland on Monday?

That is confusing; you're saying that two non-EU students received the email saying their offers would not change? And they received intern placement offers in Ireland on Monday?

As far as I have heard, yes. Thus my confusion. I'm going to call in the morning.

I suppose that is not impossible. It all depends on the preferences of the newly-added (previously wrongly excluded) candidates, as well as the preferences of the people they bump. If those non-EU students got posts that no one has listed in their preferences, they might indeed be 'safe'.

The match that already happened didn't include everyone who was supposed to be in it. They are re-running it to ensure iris fair. People who are "unchanged" are coz they are higher than anyone who was missing from the old match. People who weren't told that, it means people who are now included have higher centilrs than you. It's not a conspiracy, just inefficiency by the HsE to sort it out initially. Hope this clears it up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Typical incompetence by the HSE.

The CAO run something infinitely more complicated for 50,000 people every year without any problems. This is an utter disgrace.

At least all the new interns get an early sign of what the HSE actually thinks about you.

Could you imagine if CAO did this to leaving cert students? There would be outrage everywhere.

• Advertisement

The match that already happened didn't include everyone who was supposed to be in it. They are re-running it to ensure iris fair. People who are "unchanged" are coz they are higher than anyone who was missing from the old match. People who weren't told that, it means people who are now included have higher centilrs than you. It's not a conspiracy, just inefficiency by the HsE to sort it out initially. Hope this clears it up

Yes, I understand that. And I'm ok with the re-match. If I hadn't obtained a post that I was 'entitled' to, I'd be upset too, so I agree that HSE must redo the match and I don't see it as a conspiracy. But, if some non-EU people have been told they are safe, that means the HSE has already redone the match and already knows our new allocations and is just being obsequious by saying 'it is possible...' that 'you may...' receive a new post. I'd rather they just be upfront about it and tell us and not keep us in the lurch over a weekend. We already have precious little time to make arrangements in our own lives. It's the poor communication that is the trouble, not the error itself. And it's not only to us - they haven't maintained good communication with the training networks either, since the networks have been communicating with us re contract signing until Thursday! I imagine they are giving the networks today and the weekend to draft the new allocation list and notification email, but that shouldn't take quite so long. Anyway, nothing to do but just wait and hope the new post you get isn't too far down your list.

I agree that the communication and handling has been awful, but I wouldn't stop there.

Apart from releasing intern offers several days late, waiting another three days before rescinding them is totally unacceptable. I know of several people who have signed leases or paid deposits on the back of job offers; offers received in writing, accepted in writing and confirmed in writing.

Now some of these people are left in an ambiguous situation with no certainty as to whether the HSE will honor the offers that have been accepted and confirmed. They don't know whether they'll have the same hospitals or even work in the same county as the offer they were given. This is a pretty big deal for people who have entered into leases based on locations in their current offers.

The calculated, callous manner in which the communication yesterday evening was delivered is totally unacceptable. No name or contact number was provided. The timing of the email was no doubt intended to allow minimal reproach. The ambiguity and timescale suggested (i.e. early next week) adds to the uncertainty faced by many. The fact that the specific causes of this situation were not disclosed betrays any suggestion of transparency in the system.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Please all involved complain bith to the allocation board and to the medical council. Lobby the IMO who will (should ) act on your behalf. If anyone who is not an IMO member wants to register a complaint wiht them pm me.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/about/Who/Human_Resources.html

The email address asknrs@hse.ie belongs to the HSE national recruitment service.
    But of course the number given doesn't correspond to the contact details on the page.

Just had a chat with the HSE, 01-8817053.
    There were errors in the allocation process and a final offer will be made next week. The person was unable to provide any further information.

More updates with a glaring lack of substantive information as I get them.

More information:

It seems what happened was several students were marked as non-EU when they were in fact EU students. They now have to reallocate jobs taking into account these students. This will drop some people with offers down their lists.

In terms of resolution, the HSE are being almost entirely unhelpful. They claim no offers were made and that it was the universities that made the offers. I personally do not accept this claim; the term offer was used explicitly in the email received last night (Thursday evening) and whilst a university staff member made this offer, if it was not made acting as an agent of the HSE, then under what authority was it made?

This is a serious error on the part of the HSE. They are attempting to rectify the situation by not communicating, acting defensively and placing blame elsewhere.

I would urge anyone affected to, in addition to other posters suggestions, contact the HSE directly to register a formal complaint. Unless they receive these complaints, they will likely claim 'no formal complaints were received apart from a few enquiries'.

Make noise. Email, ring and if needs be, call into people. Don't let your medical careers start by having the HSE walk right over you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

I'm sure Joe Duffy would lap this stuff up.

Seriously.

I appreciate the HSE has messed up and it is really inconvenient, there's no doubting that. But they are just ensuring that the right people get the right jobs which is the fairest way. The reason they're saying no non-eu will be affected is the number of people involved about is probably less than the amount of non-eu who have the jobs. I think how they've handled It is disgraceful but I can understand why they have to do it

I appreciate the HSE has messed up and it is really inconvenient, there's no doubting that. But they are just ensuring that the right people get the right jobs which is the fairest way. The reason they're saying no non-eu will be affected is the number of people involved about is probably less than the amount of non-eu who have the jobs. I think how they've handled It is disgraceful but I can understand why they have to do it

I agree with you but the problem is the HSE aren't giving us much information. We don't have an official reason for the change in the intern offers.

Calling the HSE I've been told errors were made and was unable to get any more information. Others have been told that a few people were left off the allocation list and some have been told that the job offers on Monday were not official.

So are there many eu students wrongly not given intern allocations last monday? This is 1st ive heard of anyone, they should have been screaming thunder over last few days. I personally havent heard of anyone in my college.

This is disgraceful by HSE, we are supposed to start placements and have induction within a couple of weeks yet i can still be matched to absolutely any hospital in ireland. And im also one of people who sorted out accomodation. So whats the best way to complain just ring them up??

• Advertisement

vamos77 wrote: »
    So are there many eu students wrongly not given intern allocations last monday? This is 1st ive heard of anyone, they should have been screaming thunder over last few days. I personally havent heard of anyone in my college.

This is disgraceful by HSE, we are supposed to start placements and have induction within a couple of weeks yet i can still be matched to absolutely any hospital in ireland. And im also one of people who sorted out accomodation. So whats the best way to complain just ring them up??

I've heard the number of EU students who were marked as non-EU is 16, although I don't have confirmation of this.

I'd make your complaint in writing. Perhaps ring up to find out who the appropriate person to make the complaint to is.

The biggest danger now is apathy; don't let the HSE think they can just push people around on this.

Advertisement