Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo GAA

• 09-06-2012 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

Can't see a Sligo thread so started this.

Just to say well done on a great victory over Galway tonight in the Connaught semi final. Were being written off by all the National media who were looking forward to the Galway Mayo final they always want.

Won by 2.14 to 15 points and though I am only going by radio coverage (while watching Soccer at the same time ;)) they appeared to be well worth the winning margin.

4 unsanswered points at beginning of second half to go 9 all. Then equalised almost immediatly when Galway went one up. One of the goals was from a penalty when Galway defence got desperate but overall they sounded quite impressive.

I - as a Rossie - am delighted for them (even if it makes us look even worse:()

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,458 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I'm a happy Sligoman after that.

Watched it onine as couldn't get down to Salthill. Well worh the win, kept it close for the first half against the wind, and let loose in the second half and played some superb football to go along with it.

Superb performance from Adrian Marren who led Hanley a merry dance for the entire game, think he finished with 2-6. The lads in midfield cleaned up for most of the game as well which neutered Galway going forward. Vast majority of their scores came from frees (probably something for us to be concerned about) Also kudos to David Kelly and Alan Costello for some fine play.

Galway have the same issue as they've had for many years now, there's not one player on that panel playing for the jersey, once the going gets tough they cave.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

highlights after the soccer on rte 2 tonight BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

Well done Sligo!!! Having watched Galway almost beat Kildare in the league, and having heard feck all about Sligo I really am shocked by the result. But clearly ye put the work in and deserved the result, fair play to ye. Best of luck against Mayo. Connaught has been consistently throwing up surprises over the past 5 years, exciting times for ye all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Galway are quite an average team in the Championship and the 15th/16th place ranking in the All Ireland would be about right.They had no answers once Sligo came back at them in the second half and I am not sure if they can sustain a run in the qualifiers unless they get a handy draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

blackbelt wrote: »
    Galway are quite an average team in the Championship and the 15th/16th place ranking in the All Ireland would be about right.They had no answers once Sligo came back at them in the second half and I am not sure if they can sustain a run in the qualifiers unless they get a handy draw.

Congratulations to Sligo. I hope ye can finish the job off against Mayo. As for Galway, I think your post sums it up well. Galway are no great shakes in the cut and thrust of championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Fair play Sligo....makes Roscommon's performance look all the more worse. All the better to see them winning without that......nice fella O'Hara featuring at all. Makes the Galway Co Bds decision to overlook Walsh for Mullholland like the wrong choice.

Fair play Sligo....makes Roscommon's performance look all the more worse. All the better to see them winning without that......nice fella O'Hara featuring at all. Makes the Galway Co Bds decision to overlook Walsh for Mullholland like the wrong choice.

It wasn't the wrong choice. Thats just a grass is greener on the otherside argument, ignoring the real reason why Galway were so poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,458 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Congratulations to Sligo. I hope ye can finish the job off against Mayo.

any leitrim fan sees this will have you lynched :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

A great display and result. Hopefully there'll be none of tje ridiculous overconfidence of 2 years ago in the Connaught final.

any leitrim fan sees this will have you lynched :D

Oh god yes. Forgot about them altogether. Who knows. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

It wasn't the wrong choice. Thats just a grass is greener on the otherside argument, ignoring the real reason why Galway were so poor.

Time will tell I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

A great display and result. Hopefully there'll be none of tje ridiculous overconfidence of 2 years ago in the Connaught final.

No fear of overconfidence against Mayo. They know Mayo are probably the best team in Connaught and it will take a might performance from Sligo to go down to McHale Park and beat them. Mayo will be a step up from what is a pretty ordinary Galway team.

Well done to Sligo anyway. As a Galwayman I can say ye thoroughly deserved it. Sligo wanted it more and had the players to make it happen. I hope ye can really put it up to Mayo now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

It'll be in the Hyde, Sligo's Connacht finals are different to regular matches and are played at neutral venues.

Syferus wrote: »
    It'll be in the Hyde, Sligo's Connacht finals are different to regular matches and are played at neutral venues.

Correct me if I am wrong but was the last time Sligo met Mayo not 2010 when Sligo beat them in Sligo? Meaning the final will be in McHale Park. Or are you telling me its just neutral venue exclusively when your playing Sligo in a final. I was pretty sure it was neutral for a home finals for Sligo, but now the more I think about it that seems very unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭DoctorMedicine

Correct me if I am wrong but was the last time Sligo met Mayo not 2010 when Sligo beat them in Sligo? Meaning the final will be in McHale Park. Or are you telling me its just neutral venue exclusively when your playing Sligo in a final. I was pretty sure it was neutral for a home finals for Sligo, but now the more I think about it that seems very unfair.

If things were fair, Mayo(if they beat Leitrim) should have their final against Sligo played in McHale Park. However, I have heard through the grapevine that should Mayo reach the final, the game will be at a neutral venue.

I think it is ridiculous, but that's the way things are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Well discussed in the comments here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

If things were fair, Mayo(if they beat Leitrim) should have their final against Sligo played in McHale Park. However, I have heard through the grapevine that should Mayo reach the final, the game will be at a neutral venue.

I think it is ridiculous, but that's the way things are.

How is it in any way ridiculous?

If a county doesn't have a home ground capable of hosting a Connacht final no home-away arrangements can be made. Would it be fair that Mayo get to play at home in this final but the next time Sligo had to play their 'home' game in the Hyde?

It's completely fair, you'll get your home game against Sligo next time you meet in the quarters or semis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

so, it seems that Sligo are about to agree with giving Mayo home advantage.
    Mayo poised to receive MacHale Park final boost
    By Colm Keys
    Wednesday June 27 2012

THE Connacht Council will tomorrow night decide on a venue for the provincial football final between Sligo and Mayo, with MacHale Park in Castlebar thought to be the front-runner to host the game on Sunday July 15.

If an agreement with Sligo can be reached, the Connacht Council would be hoping to cash in on a bigger pay day for their showpiece game than could be generated at either Dr Hyde Park or Pearse Stadium.

The development of MacHale Park has stretched the resources of the Mayo County Board, so the hosting of a provincial decider would be a massive boost to their coffers.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/mayo-poised-to-receive-machale-park-final-boost-3151568.html

Sad that money more than sporting reasons is deciding the venue, but at the same time it cant be magiced away that Mayo has an outstanding debt on their stadium that has to be paid (and gate receipts are the one major income to county boards) so I'll lament the situation rather than criticise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Seen this posted on Hoganstand (yes i know mostly rubbish over there)

If Sligo win then it would be sweet for them - Connacht title and getting paid to beat Mayo in McHale Park!

If they lose (particularly if they were to lose narrowly) then the accusations of selling a Connacht Championship would surface and the image of being the poor or greedy relation who put themselves at a disadvantage for a few bob wouldn't sit well with the supporters.

It's a fair point & a bit of dilemma for the Sligo GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Seen this posted on Hoganstand (yes i know mostly rubbish over there)

If Sligo win then it would be sweet for them - Connacht title and getting paid to beat Mayo in McHale Park!

If they lose (particularly if they were to lose narrowly) then the accusations of selling a Connacht Championship would surface and the image of being the poor or greedy relation who put themselves at a disadvantage for a few bob wouldn't sit well with the supporters.

It's a fair point & a bit of dilemma for the Sligo GAA.

It's certainly a valid point and it would appear that Sligo would have been damned if they did.
    From a Mayo perspective, if Mayo were to win there any gloss would be taken off as a result of the home advantage card. It's in the Hyde now anyway, so aside from it being a smaller venue, there can be few complaints about that.

Sligo look handy enough and certainly should not be taken for granted, I see a close game and should be a good game of football, there for either team to take on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

No mention of Nicky Rackard win yet!

It's not often we win an All-Ireland title.

That's my Sligo flag in teh background :)
    D9slm8kWwAAARwY.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭akelly02

good following in tullamore yesterday despite the result. fair play

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Was at it yesterday, apart from those infuriating soft goals there wasn't much between the two teams, could have had it back in with 3 points at the start of the second half, with those two bad wides, they got the third goal soon after and that was it.

It's four years since we last beat a team outside of Division 4 in the Championship, I know we've been in a state of flux with a lot of changes in players and management the last few years, hope we can get a bit of stability and get back to challenging Mayo and Galway, those days seems so long ago now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Only heard it on the radio, it sounded pretty grim, dissapointed we couldn't stick with them for 45/50 minutes, heard McEntee say on the radio last week he was already focusing on next year, suppose we weren't helped by the structure this year, there are some good players there, hope we can get back to being competitive soon, this probably the lowest ebb the team has been at for 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Well done to Sligo GAA on winning the Connacht minor championship after a 53 year gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭megadodge

As a Roscommon man, heartiest congrats to Sligo on their excellent minor win.

They were definitely the better side and their finishing was just outstanding.

Hopefully, they can go farther now.

Just seeing the news about Red Óg Murphy, holy f*ck, shocking stuff, from what I'd seen of him, he had serious potential.

May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Awful news, RIP Red Og and condolences to his family, friends and teammates, cherish every moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Very sad news. RIP Red Og

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

RIP Red. Condolences to his family as I'm sure they're heartbroken. This has also had a big effect on the 16, 17, 18 year olds in the county. My young lad was completely speechless and I know his footballing friends were all the same when he heard the sad news on Friday . Red Og was the standard to which all of the younger lads looked and admired all of what he had achieved.

May he rest in peace.

Advertisement