Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To lay off or to stick with my gamble?

Options
  • 08-06-2012 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

What would you do in my situation?

I'm a small time gambler. So small that the €2 minimum on Betfair pisses me off. Wish their minimum was only €1 or even €0.50. That's just for illustration.

So, I've backed someone at 25/1 - stuck €2 on it, they're now in the final, if they win I'll get €50. Happy days.

They're now at 4.3, the fav is at 1.3.

I can put €40 on the favourite and guarantee €9.50 regardless of the outcome.

I can put €7.00 on the favourite and get €0.10 is the fav wins or €40.85 if my outsider wins. So still an alright payout if the outsider wins or break even.

I can put €14.70 on the outsider to lose and get €12.70 profit if the fav wins or break even if the outsider wins.

What would you do? If the favourite's odds were more in my favour as they were earlier I'd be able to guarantee a nice payout of €25 which I would go for, but as the fav is so short I think I'll just stick with my gamble and if I lose the €2.00; - f*ck it.

I'm just wondering how people tend to treat these situations, what is your own preference?

I've deliberately not named the event I'm betting on as it shouldn't matter to your opinion. I'll reveal the event in an extravagant ceremony if there's a few replies. Or just mention it in my next post.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

If the favourite is losing badly as the event progresses I'll back them at better odds possibly.

I'm sure some can guess the event anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

If the favourite is losing badly as the event progresses I'll back them at better odds possibly.

I'm sure some can guess the event anyway.

If I only stood to lose €2 I'd let it stand personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

It depends really, I'd let that one ride personally. Sometimes I'll lay if I've a big stake (€25+ for me) depending on how likely I think an unfavourable result will come in.

In saying that, most of the time I do lay it turns out I needn't have :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

assumimg its the WT Final, I don't think Sharapova is a shoe in fwiw.

But don't let that stop you locking in to a profit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

What would you do in my situation?

I'm a small time gambler. So small that the €2 minimum on Betfair pisses me off. Wish their minimum was only €1 or even €0.50. That's just for illustration.

So, I've backed someone at 25/1 - stuck €2 on it, they're now in the final, if they win I'll get €50. Happy days.

They're now at 4.3, the fav is at 1.3.

I can put €40 on the favourite and guarantee €9.50 regardless of the outcome.

I can put €7.00 on the favourite and get €0.10 is the fav wins or €40.85 if my outsider wins. So still an alright payout if the outsider wins or break even.

I can put €14.70 on the outsider to lose and get €12.70 profit if the fav wins or break even if the outsider wins.

What would you do? If the favourite's odds were more in my favour as they were earlier I'd be able to guarantee a nice payout of €25 which I would go for, but as the fav is so short I think I'll just stick with my gamble and if I lose the €2.00; - f*ck it.

I'm just wondering how people tend to treat these situations, what is your own preference?

I've deliberately not named the event I'm betting on as it shouldn't matter to your opinion. I'll reveal the event in an extravagant ceremony if there's a few replies. Or just mention it in my next post.

Thanks.

there was a way around placing a bet with betfair for any amount under 2 euro, havent done it in around a year i think theyve fixed it. basically you make your 50cent bet or whatever and increase the odds to a bigger amount that wont be matched and when it bounced back you'd place it again and it would except the 50cent or whatever at the current price. i even placed a bet for 20cent 1 time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Thanks lads,

yeah, I think I'll stick with it. My profit on the tennis is €10ish anyway so I'll take losing the €2

Advertisement