Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert Predictions Thread 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭IceCreamGirl

rivers, fishing, urban functions and farming will come up i reckon

I think bogs might come up in geography due to all the news coverage it has been getting.

asked my geography teacher he said economic cliamate and bog's are a definate question !

For geography, our teacher reccommended studying farming as a system, over-fishing, tourism and bogs. She also said there'll be something on climate but it could form part of tourism.

For Long Questions (sec 2), the following may come up:
    Rivers, Climate and Tourism, Population, Urban Geography, Primary Activities(Fishing and Farming), Secondary Act.(Location, Industry) Tertiary Act.(Tourism and Aid), Poor and Rich World.

For the map Q, there is a great chance for a sketch map of O.S. map to come up. Aerial Photo came up the last two years.

There is also a likely chance for a rock question and an acid rain Q.

Sudan is due up

If you're studying Mali for its low population density then you could also do the West of Ireland. If theres other stuff you need to spend more time on I'd just leave it and if it comes up tomorrow write about how people left the countryside of Western Ireland to move to cities resulting in culture loss and stuff like that :L

Definetly do something on the maps and photos cos that always comes up as a long question. Other than that, if you know your physical geog you can do another one so like go over volcanoes, rivers , seas. (or glaciers whichever you're doing) and then if they say Sudan is due to come up look at the differences between developed and developing countries.
    Make sure you study cyclonic, relief and convectional rainfall, as well as ascending and descending air.
    Also, ensure you have an oxbow lake and waterfall diagram and formation prepared. I have a list and I'll post it when I find it, I got it from a guy who is writing exam papers years and his mates write them too, think he got a tip off!
    Don't hesitate to tell me if you know of any sort of predictions etc coming up this year, all higher level.
    there are also supposed to be weather instruments! Campbell stokes, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Aoifeo12

not sure which one to study

Calcutta or Mali?

Calcutta!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

Aoifeo12 wrote: »
    Calcutta!

Yes I know Calcutta well :)
    What about bogs? Heard anything about that?

rivers, fishing, urban functions and farming will come up i reckon

I think bogs might come up in geography due to all the news coverage it has been getting.

asked my geography teacher he said economic cliamate and bog's are a definate question !

For geography, our teacher reccommended studying farming as a system, over-fishing, tourism and bogs. She also said there'll be something on climate but it could form part of tourism.

Thanks! I forgot, do a light industrys inputs, outputs, processes etc. And why they located in that area/ireland. Recommended is intel!!

For Long Questions (sec 2), the following may come up:
    Rivers, Climate and Tourism, Population, Urban Geography, Primary Activities(Fishing and Farming), Secondary Act.(Location, Industry) Tertiary Act.(Tourism and Aid), Poor and Rich World.

For the map Q, there is a great chance for a sketch map of O.S. map to come up. Aerial Photo came up the last two years.

There is also a likely chance for a rock question and an acid rain Q.

Sudan is due up

If you're studying Mali for its low population density then you could also do the West of Ireland. If theres other stuff you need to spend more time on I'd just leave it and if it comes up tomorrow write about how people left the countryside of Western Ireland to move to cities resulting in culture loss and stuff like that :L

Definetly do something on the maps and photos cos that always comes up as a long question. Other than that, if you know your physical geog you can do another one so like go over volcanoes, rivers , seas. (or glaciers whichever you're doing) and then if they say Sudan is due to come up look at the differences between developed and developing countries.

Light industrys i,p& o! and reasons for locating in ireland/particular area. Recommended is Intel!

Yes I know Calcutta well :)
    What about bogs? Heard anything about that?

Yeah from my geography teacher, the different types of bogs and peat extraction I think? Not too reliable so I'm only going to flick over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 xTwizLaH

not sure which one to study

Calcutta or Mali?

I think theres more to study in Calcutta

I don't really, I found calcutta easier to study, and the fella I got the tip-off from advised it!

Functional zones in New York City.
    Case study: Manhattan Island, New York City

Finance
    Wall Street - stock exchange.
    Chrysler Building - offices.

Shopping
    Fifth Avenue - shops such as Macy's
    Many other shopping areas, including Chinatown (Oriental shopping) ; Radio City.

Entertainment
    Broadway - theatre and cinema

Residential
    Harlem - a residential area where many African Americans live.
    Other residential areas - Upper East Side, the Bronx, Brooklyn.

Industry
    The southern tip of Manhattan has docks along the Hudson River.

Recreation
    Central Park is a huge rectangular area for recreation in the centre of Manhattan.
    Ice-skating in winter, pony rides, jogging and walking are some of the activities in the park. Channel Promenade, with its ice rink and cafe, is a major focus for people in New York.

will i get full marks for that if something about functional zones comes up?

I don't know to be honest, I didn't do that. Sorry I can't help more, I did Limerick city I think? It looks like a sufficient answer though.

I really want to achieve a high grade in Business studies (HL) and I was just wondering whether anyone had any predictions/notes/advice/help?! Stressing out to fuqqq

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

Functional zones in New York City.
    Case study: Manhattan Island, New York City

Finance
    Wall Street - stock exchange.
    Chrysler Building - offices.

Shopping
    Fifth Avenue - shops such as Macy's
    Many other shopping areas, including Chinatown (Oriental shopping) ; Radio City.

Entertainment
    Harlem - a residential area where many African Americans live.
    Other residential areas - Upper East Side, the Bronx, Brooklyn.

Industry
    The southern tip of Manhattan has docks along the Hudson River.

Recreation
    Central Park is a huge rectangular area for recreation in the centre of Manhattan.
    Ice-skating in winter, pony rides, jogging and walking are some of the activities in the park. Channel Promenade, with its ice rink and cafe, is a major focus for people in New York.

will i get full marks for that if something about functional zones comes up?

Yes but mention the CBD and high rises.

Yes but mention the CBD and high rises.

i dont have them notes on my less stress more success book. can you please give me notes on them (CBD & high rises) please? :D

I found the list with the important topics to cover from the guy who writes the exam papers:
    Population pyramid (education,family planning etc in developed countries contrasted to developing)
    Rivers
    Core area + peripheral? <--- don't even know what that is.
    High population density in Calcutta (or developing country of your choice, e.g mali)
    Light industries inputs, outputs + processes.

Also History: Martin Luther, Washington, Wolf tone, Michelangelo, A monk in a medieval monastery, and a person living during the industrial revolution
    Rise of Fascism
    Hitler: Night of the long knives + broken glass, the gestapo, storm troopers etc.

I found the list with the important topics to cover from the guy who writes the exam papers:
    Population pyramid (education,family planning etc in developed countries contrasted to developing)
    Rivers
    High population density in Calcutta (or developing country of your choice, e.g mali)

Also History: Martin Luther, Washington, Wolf tone, Michelangelo, A monk in a medieval monastery, and a person living during the industrial revolution
    Rise of Fascism
    Hitler: Night of the long knives + broken glass, the gestapo, storm troopers etc.
    For history every two years this question comes up " a settler who recieved land in a named plantation in the 16th or 17th century "

Calcutta has one of the world's largest populations. Wealth and poverty exist side by side in Calcutta. It is a great manufacturing city and holds a major port, but Calcutta has many problems.
    1) Shortage of clean water
    Providing clean water supplies for a rapidly growing population is a major challenge for the city. Not many homes have water on-tap. In areas where poverty is common, water pipes are located on pavements. These water pipes provide drinking water for short periods several times a day.

Lack of open space
    Open space is in short supply in Calcutta, because of population pressure. Much of city life, is lived on pavements. Front and back gardens are non-existent. Thousands of people sleep on pavements, and craftspeople conduct business there.

Calcutta's people are very proud of their city, and do not welcome the image of poverty their country has. The city has a cheap underground railway, and internet is widely available in internet services. Most of Calcutta's people are hard-working, and go to extreme lengths to send their children to school, as it is a way out of poverty.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Anonymatronics

Rivers

Rise of Fascism

are you sure cause this will be all the things i will only learn :D

Along with:
    Make sure you study cyclonic, relief and convectional rainfall, as well as ascending and descending air.
    Also, ensure you have an oxbow lake and waterfall diagram and formation prepared. And weather instruments, recognize and be able to explain their use or whatever.
    Do limestone too, like erosion etc, that's all I'm studying + hoping for the best! Do bogs too! Types of bogs, extraction.

Along with:
    Also, ensure you have an oxbow lake and waterfall diagram and formation prepared. And weather instruments, recognize and be able to explain their use or whatever.
    Do limestone too, like erosion etc, that's all I'm studying + hoping for the best! Do bogs too! Types of bogs, extraction.

does it have to be a waterfall?
    is a V-shaped valley okay?

Yeah I'm sure a V-shaped valley would be grand to be honest! Both from the youthful stage.

Yeah I'm sure a V-shaped valley would be grand to be honest! Both from the youthful stage.

thank you so much <3

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

<snip>

I doubt the list is from anyone actually involved in the setting of the exams.
    Unless they are soon to be out of a job.

uh oh~

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's a reasonable enough list to revise, though you could just as easily copy part of the syllabus.

Those involved in the exams sign all sorts of serious legal contracts. They won't be publishing lists of 'predictions'.

It's a bit pointless trying to predict, just study enough to cover yourself.

spurious wrote: »
    It's a reasonable enough list to revise, though you could just as easily copy part of the syllabus.

Those involved in the exams sign all sorts of serious legal contracts. They won't be publishing lists of 'predictions'.

It's a bit pointless trying to predict, just study enough to cover yourself.

Well ~know it all~ actually the fella is doing grinds 23 years, and has been doing the same thing he did for me for over 10 years, considering he did the same for my sister who is now 23. He gave her a list of stuff to cover, and to only cover, and everything came up. I don't think that he's out of a job just yet? There's corruption everywhere, a blind eye is always turned. Nothing is correctly done anymore.

Also, he doesn't ''publish'' these things. He gave it to me as I attend grinds with him for maths. I ''published'' it, as I thought it would be KIND to share with others.

Honestly don't mind whoever that is, I know what I'm talking about like. Trust me if you like, otherwise good luck anyways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭tornados2111

Theres probably nobody thats going to make much use of this since everyone's probably asleep but anyway, heres a link that might help with core and peripheral http://geography.about.com/od/politicalgeography/a/coreperiphery.htm

Honestly don't mind whoever that is, I know what I'm talking about like. Trust me if you like, otherwise good luck anyways :)

Well....

Part of me hopes you get a call from the SEC, but either way, he will certainly get one, if, as you claim, he is involved in the setting or drafting process. He won't be doing it again.

You published it because you didn't think of the consequences for yourself, or especially the consequences for him.

What makes you think you should be told what is supposedly coming up on the exam when everyone else in the country isn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Oh, and by the way, it's well known that the SEC hang out here and on Twitter etc. looking for people bragging about cheating (not saying you are, but people have bragged about notes in socks!)

• Advertisement

Theres probably nobody thats going to make much use of this since everyone's probably asleep but anyway, heres a link that might help with core and peripheral http://geography.about.com/od/politicalgeography/a/coreperiphery.htm

So Core is rich and periphary is poor basically not that it matters now the exam is on in like half an hour

Advertisement